BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Riser Recaps 2017, DONE!!!!! Countdown on pages 4-5
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Riser
post 2nd December 2017, 02:50 AM
Post #1
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534

After last year's EOY I told myself I wouldn't spend that much effort on them anymore, but it is my 5th year so I might as well try. laugh.gif If all goes according to plan I'll post my usual commentaries throughout the month, leading up to my actual top 60 starting around New Year's.

The "format" is something I came up with four years ago where I only featured songs that weren't A-listed on Radio 1. Seems random and arbitrary but I've stuck to it because it lets me give attention to songs that were overlooked to some extent (and some that I dislike!) and while you'll be familiar with most of them, they won't be found in many other EOYs. Although 'Despacito' will be eligible under this one rule so I look forward to sharing my opinion on that one. kink.gif

Also I go in alphabetical order by artist so feel free to make predictions as I go along. I'm already a day behind schedule on this but we'll see how it goes biggrin.gif

EDIT: My countdown is below in spoiler tags in case you don't want to read the whole thing:
1. Lorde “Green Light”
2. The Weeknd feat. Daft Punk “I Feel It Coming”
3. Dua Lipa “Be The One”
4. Dua Lipa “New Rules”
5. French Montana feat. Swae Lee “Unforgettable”
6. Bruno Mars “That’s What I Like”
7. Katy Perry feat. Migos “Bon Appetit”
8. Lorde “Perfect Places”
9. Zayn feat. Sia “Dusk Till Dawn”
10. Shawn Mendes “Mercy”
11. Adele “Water Under The Bridge”
12. Selena Gomez “Bad Liar”
13. Little Big Town “Better Man”
14. Thomas Rhett feat. Maren Morris “Craving You”
15. Halsey “Bad At Love”
16. Halsey “Now Or Never”
17. Lauren Alaina “Road Less Traveled”
18. Imagine Dragons “Thunder”
19. J Balvin feat. Willy William “Mi Gente”
20. Maroon 5 feat. Future “Cold”
21. Niall Horan “Too Much To Ask”
22. Ariana Grande feat. Future “Everyday”
23. Justin Bieber & BloodPop “Friends”
24. Sabrina Carpenter “Thumbs”
25. Sabrina Carpenter “Why”
26. The Chainsmokers “Paris”
27. Zedd & Liam Payne “Get Low”
28. Emeli Sande “Breathing Underwater”
29. Lana Del Rey “Love”
30. Brothers Osborne “It Ain’t My Fault”
31. Sam Smith “Too Good At Goodbyes”
32. Kelly Clarkson “Love So Soft”
33. DNCE feat. Nicki Minaj “Kissing Strangers”
34. Lady Gaga “The Cure”
35. Maren Morris “I Could Use A Love Song”
36. Cheat Codes feat. Demi Lovato “No Promises”
37. Camila Cabello “Crying In The Club”
38. Zedd & Alessia Cara “Stay”
39. G-Eazy feat. A$AP Rocky & Cardi B “No Limit”
40. Miley Cyrus “Malibu”
41. Imagine Dragons “Believer”
42. Haim “Little Of Your Love”
43. Axwell & Ingrosso “More Than You Know”
44. Logic feat. Alessia Cara & Khalid “1-800-273-8255”
45. Joshua Micah “Who Says”
46. The Chainsmokers feat. Coldplay “Something Just Like This”
47. Walk The Moon “One Foot”
48. Paramore “Hard Times”
49. Ed Sheeran “Shape Of You”
50. Camila Cabello feat. Young Thug “Havana”
51. Rita Ora “Anywhere”
52. Katy Perry feat. Skip Marley “Chained To The Rhythm”
53. Marian Hill “Down”
54. Shawn Mendes “There’s Nothing Holdin’ Me Back”
55. Train “Drink Up”
56. Alex da Kid feat. X Ambassadors, Elle King & Wiz Khalifa “Not Easy”
57. Mabel feat. Kojo Funds “Finders Keepers”
58. Lecrae feat. Tori Kelly “I’ll Find You”
59. Post Malone feat. 21 Savage “Rockstar”
60. Nick Jonas “Find You”
61. Moment “All This Time”
62. Martin Solveig feat. Ina Wroldsen “Places”
63. P!nk “What About Us”
64. Harry Styles “Sign Of The Times”
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 2nd December 2017, 09:45 AM
Post #2
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

yasss looking forward to this & the gifs *.*

presumably Dua, Alessia & Imagine Dragons will slay this!

This post has been edited by Rob S: 2nd December 2017, 09:45 AM

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 2nd December 2017, 11:05 AM
Post #3
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Looking forward to this! cheer.gif

+Quote this post
Riser
post 4th December 2017, 11:51 PM
Post #4
Group icon

QUOTE(Rob S @ Dec 2 2017, 04:45 AM) *
yasss looking forward to this & the gifs *.*

presumably Dua, Alessia & Imagine Dragons will slay this!
Oh are you expecting gifs? mellow.gif I don't have any gifs prepared D:

Oh well let's finally get started!

Ariana Grande feat. Future "Everyday"

So let's go back to a year ago when Ariana just had her third hit single from Dangerous Woman. Her previous era had four hits on it, five if you count "Bang Bang", so one would assume she could manage the same feat this time around. Long story short, "Everyday" is picked instead which brings it all to a relatively abrupt ending. I mean, this wasn't her finest single choice, but who cares when it's a total jam and sounded great on the radio anyway!
While I haven't listened to Dangerous Woman in full I'm sure it had songs with greater potential that were sacrificed in favor of this. Did they think the shock value of the video would grab more attention? Did they just want to end on something random and fun and not risk an Ariana overexposure? Either way, chances are I wouldn't have heard "Everyday" had it not been picked as a single so overall I'm very glad that it was. The verses are obviously the highlight, since the chorus is just Future repeating one word over and over. laugh.gif

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 5th December 2017, 01:41 AM
Post #5
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835

Everyday was a bit eh pick single for me I mean I like it but It would be like near bottom of her singles for me. Shame as their something like Greedy or Bad Decisions would have entered the perfect era for me.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 5th December 2017, 11:54 AM
Post #6
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

Hi Jordan

I'm with you in the minority that actually liked Everyday as a single choice. I get that there were perhaps slightly better choices on the album but it's so catchy and the verses are superb. The video was a terrible idea so I can see why it never took off but at least a few more people got to hear it. The album is fantastic though, I would definitely recommend it!! It's her best album yet in my opinion wub.gif

Looking forward to this *.*

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 5th December 2017, 04:12 PM
Post #7
Group icon

Yeah I have to say I think Greedy was a much better song and would have made a much better single, and I'm not even an Ariana fan tongue.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 5th December 2017, 09:49 PM
Post #8
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

I really do like Everyday but it's far from an Ari highlight. I echo the comments about Greedy in here - would've made a much better choice imo!

+Quote this post
Riser
post 5th December 2017, 11:40 PM
Post #9
Group icon

Okay so after this post I think I'm gonna change the format cos I keep finding songs I want to feature that were A-listed by Radio 1 and I think I'll burn out on this quickly if I don't let myself write whatever I want, so yay laugh.gif

Bebe Rexha "I Got You"

For the likes of Charlie Puth, Sam Smith, Bruno Mars, Sia, even Halsey (sort of), who all had a major hit as a featured artist before breaking through on their own, it sure seems like the perfect way to get your name out there before launching your solo career. But look no further than Bebe Rexha to show that all the featured credits in the world won't guarantee you anything on your own. Four years in and she's still trying to get that elusive hit as lead artist, with "I Got You" coming the closest so far. While it's a step up from the dire "No Broken Hearts", I struggle to get through the song without getting bored. It's so faceless, what is there to like?
Bebe's not giving up though so I respect that about her. She finally won me over with "The Way I Are (Dance With Somebody)", which was catchier and finally showed some of her personality. I think "Meant To Be" will FINALLY do it for her, and it couldn't be a more fitting song based on the lyrics. If it's meant to be, it'll be, it'll be...and maybe next year it finally will be!

Bruno Mars "Versace On The Floor"

From a US standpoint at least, "That's What I Like" was so inescapable this spring that any follow-up single was going to probably be stuck in its shadow, no matter what. That's my theory for why they picked "Versace On The Floor", since it's a straight-up ballad that's hardly what people were wanting to hear in the summer. While the 80s-esque production is spot-on, it sounds extremely dated and stuck out terribly on the radio, so thankfully David Guetta saved the day with his remix. I was expecting it to sound like a generic David Guetta song, but he did a great job of picking up the tempo while staying true to the original song!
In the end it's still kind of a waste because this is actually a nice song and probably would've done better in the winter (just look at how "Perfect" is doing). And it seems Bruno's not even saving another song for last, I know "Chunky" has been rumored but surely if anything was being announced it would have happened by now? unsure.gif Anyway this is nice and deserved a little bit better, but tbf why listen to the second-best recent slow jam when you can listen to "I Feel It Coming"?

+Quote this post
Riser
post 7th December 2017, 06:16 AM
Post #10
Group icon

Cardi B "Bodak Yellow"

Wtf is a bodak and why is it yellow? Who knows or even cares (don't worry I figured it out), but "Bodak Yellow" had one of the biggest turnarounds for me in terms of songs this year. Hard to take seriously at first and I'm still not sure if I take Cardi B seriously as an artist, BUT it grew with every listen and proved to be quite an earworm! Definitely a good "statement" song to have as a first proper single, and impressive that she got to #1 with her debut, a rare enough feat for any artist!
Plus it's always good to see female rappers doing well, ironic that now Iggy AND Cardi have had US #1s and Nicki Minaj hasn't, not that Nicki needs one at this point. laugh.gif Cardi's also the first female rapper since Lauryn Hill to have a solo #1 with no features. That's genuinely an achivement, even if Cardi ends up being more of a flash-in-the-pan than Iggy Azalea. Hopefully she's not and she'll fully win me over with her next release!

Chance The Rapper feat. Knox Fortune "All Night"

I had quite the turnaround with Chance The Rapper this year too. I always thought he was so overhyped ("All My Friends" aside), with all the Grammy awards and critic attention he's had over the past couple years, but "All Night" was the song that won me over. Admittedly it's Knox Fortune's chorus that's the highlight but the verses are fab too! I love the horns and just the alternative vibe in general. There's one radio station here that plays this and it stands out so well.
Normally I'd complain about a good song only being 2:21 long, and yet they fit so much energy into it that I never even realized how short it was. Chance put that extra time on his hands to good use, getting his first #1 with his feature on "I'm The One" and just recently doing an awesome job hosting Saturday Night Live! For the first time I can say I'm looking forward to hearing more.

Childish Gambino "Redbone"

I really really don't get "Redbone". This was the "omg screech" of 2017 for me. sad.gif If I had to think of some positives, I'd say that it was nice to see a proper R&B song do well since there hasn't been much crossover success from there lately, and just that something really different, retro and unique got played on the radio and is now up for a Record of the Year Grammy.
Ever since Prince died last year I've been paying more attention to his influence in current songs, and this song has become one of the most prime examples, definitely one he'd be proud of. But on a personal level I just can't appreciate this at all, bring back "3005" and "Sober" drama.gif

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 7th December 2017, 03:20 PM
Post #11
Group icon

I actually quite like I Got You! Much more than any of her features actually laugh.gif (and everything else she's done for that matter tongue.gif )

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 7th December 2017, 03:56 PM
Post #12
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

I actually like every single song featured so far! I got into All Night a bit more due to the funky production if anything.

I can kinda see where you’re getting the Prince influences in Redbone but it reminds me of some other artist actually, I can’t put the name to it though tongue.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 9th December 2017, 05:39 PM
Post #13
Group icon

I like I Got You a fair amount but what bothers me is that it's so obviously Bebe on about 80%. Thankfully, The Way I Are and F.F.F. make up that extra 20%, I wish one of those was her breakthrough hit sad.gif (Meant To Be is very nice but not a big fave oops)

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 9th December 2017, 07:41 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Everyday is a track I always forget about from her but it is really good! That vid is quite something too.

+Quote this post
Riser
post 9th December 2017, 10:51 PM
Post #15
Group icon

Daya "Words"

Daya's third single, while still decent, was quite a letdown compared to her first two. She was very lucky to find her lane as early as she did, with "Hide Away" and "Sit Still Look Pretty" both being the perfect middle ground between, say, Olivia Holt and Lorde. Those two songs plus "Don't Let Me Down" set her up nicely before she even turned 18. "Words" was a step backward in that it succumbed to the formulaic tropical-pop sound and was totally lacking in her personality!
So this fairly deservedly did not become a hit. I'm still really rooting for Daya and hoping she has more to say as an artist, because everything up to this point has sounded very authentic. "New" is closer but not quite there. If it were up to me I'd push for the Chainsmokers to feature on her song, not only to return the favor for her featuring on "Don't Let Me Down" but also because it worked for them once before and radio will be more inclined to play it. She has too much potential to let go to waste!

Fifth Harmony feat. Gucci Mane "Down"

Tragic. First of all, I disagree with Fifth Harmony coming back so soon after their last era ended. It made sense last time to bring out new music to capitalize on the success of "Worth It", but after last year they were pretty well established and could afford to take a break. Camila's departure didn't mean they suddenly needed to keep their name out there; instead they should've spent more time making sure the music was even better, so that the quality couldn't be blamed on losing a member. I don't think another six months would've hurt if it would've saved us getting "Down" as a lead single laugh.gif
The lyrics are basic ("When push comes to shove, you show me love"), Gucci Mane's feature is forgettable, and the overly-repetitive chorus is not something we needed from them a second time. As a result, it missed the top 40 everywhere, and falling just a few places short in the US and UK to make it more cruel. This was a critical moment in the life of Fifth Harmony and they barely even tried to rise to the occasion, so I don't have as much sympathy as I did when they became Fourth Harmony.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 9th December 2017, 11:02 PM
Post #16
Group icon

Down is my biggest disappointment of the year. Their comeback could and SHOULD have been fantastic after how good 7/27 was. Now all they've done is ensure the limelight's firmly on Camila :')

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 10th December 2017, 03:01 AM
Post #17
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835

I Got You has to be one of the should have been huge hits sad.gif

That's What I Like >>

All Night and Redbone are tracks that I appreciate more now laugh.gif

Down is an disappointment of a song lmao

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 10th December 2017, 01:12 PM
Post #18
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

Hi Jordan

Some harsh words for both "Redbone" and "Down" cry.gif I agree with you that 3005 is a pretty banging track but I appreciate Redbone a lot more for just how unique it is, I loved its use in Get Out too earlier in the year when I saw that in cinemas. A bit gutted he's taking a break from music in favour of acting as he's much better at the former in my opinion ohmy.gif drama.gif

I get that Down is a complete rip-off of Work From Home but that was a massive bop so that makes Down a massive bop too for me. It's not quite as good but it's super catchy and it's fun to strut along to on the walk home from work :') It deserved better than it did in the charts, a bit gutted they've really struggled commercially this era because He Like That was really good too ! ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
danG
post 10th December 2017, 01:25 PM
Post #19
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

Not you shading Redbone sad.gif Thought that'd be your thing. That was one of the year's biggest sleeper hits for me.

Fourth Harmony laugh.gif Yeah I'm glad that flopped, what a poor excuse of a song.

I didn't even realise Daya had released another single, glad she seems to be back in obscurity already anyway.

Bodak Yellow is amazing, that climbing to #1 in the US was very pleasing to see.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 10th December 2017, 03:59 PM
Post #20
Group icon

I've never been a fan of 5H but Down just seemed a really weird choice of lead, especially after a string of Top 40 hits from their last campaign!

+Quote this post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 11:50 AM