BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Riser Recaps 2017, DONE!!!!! Countdown on pages 4-5
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
danG
post 8th January 2018, 11:14 AM
Post #61
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

I'd rate Get Low above Stay, but both songs aren't very good imo. You may've noticed I've complained a lot about Zedd in 2017, I've almost lost all hope in him now.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 10th January 2018, 08:55 PM
Post #62
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

One Foot has almost passed me by really, I've heard the chorus and that's pretty catchy so I should give the rest a listen! A shame to see them only being one-hit wonders though sad.gif

+Quote this post
Riser
post 13th January 2018, 06:22 AM
Post #63
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534

I wasn't able to narrow my list down enough so you get a top 64 countdown this year instead of a top 60! biggrin.gif

64. Harry Styles "Sign Of The Times"
Joseph agog that Harry is effectively in last basil.gif While this isn’t completely my thing I can’t deny that it was a brilliant solo debut, stood out massively from all other 1D solo efforts, and deserved all the praise and success it received. Harry proved that he’s talented beyond his years and has a fondness for nostalgic pop/rock that’s impossible not to admire.

63. P!nk "What About Us"
I tend to be underwhelmed with P!nk’s lead singles for some reason, and while "What About Us" was no exception it was certainly not a disappointment either. I love the way it builds up but felt it could’ve gone further instead of having that instrumental drop at the end of the second chorus. That said, it’s still here, and "Beautiful Trauma" should contend for a higher spot next year.

62. Martin Solveig feat. Ina Wroldsen "Places"
Not sure if it’s Ina’s voice or that she ends up on all the right songs, but I’ve yet to hear anything of hers I didn’t like! I’m glad "Places" finally reached the UK top 40, because otherwise I may not have ever heard it.

61. Moment "All This Time"

After "Indigo" did reasonably well in BJSC, I thought I was on to something after finding this and thinking people would love it even more. That was not to be as it didn’t even qualify and settled for a semifinalist spot in TBO Rejects. I’m not sure what it was lacking for everyone else; to me it ticked all the boxes and then some—aside from not being Michelle McManus, of course!

60. Nick Jonas "Find You"
Gah this song, what an unexpected gem. It’s a major shame that Nick is barely getting a look in anymore while the charts are so male-dominated and all of his peers are still riding high. To be fair, "Find You" is a couple years too late with the deep-house sound, but thank goodness he released it anyway.
Previous EOY history: "Bacon" (#56, 2016)

59. Post Malone feat. 21 Savage "Rockstar"
Speaking of unexpected gems, I still haven’t wrapped my head around this one. "Rockstar" is one of the biggest growers ever on my chart, from a #38 debut to a #2 peak two months later. The last song to do that was Shakira & Rihanna’s "Can’t Remember To Forget You", which went from #32 to #2 over two months. I’m kind of surprised this isn’t still at #1 in the official charts tbh.

58. Lecrae feat. Tori Kelly "I’ll Find You"

It’s about time Tori came back to remind everyone why she’s one of the best singers out there and should rightfully be the next Adele. I wouldn’t have heard this at all had it not been for the one music video channel I still happen to have, which has played this almost every morning for the past few months. I should give some praise to Lecrae but can’t help that my love for this song revolves completely around Tori’s vocals. It’s been two and a half years since her last album so she’s well overdue a new one in 2018!
Previous EOY history for Tori: "Nobody Love" (#15, 2015), "Should’ve Been Us" (#32, 2015), "Hollow" (#38, 2015)

57. Mabel feat. Kojo Funds "Finders Keepers"
Yass for bringing back the Diwali riddim wub.gif (although it’s not mentioned as such on Wikipedia but either way it’s close enough). Also, notice we’ve gone from "Find You" to "I’ll Find You" to "Finders Keepers" magic.gif

56. Alex da Kid feat. X Ambassadors, Elle King & Wiz Khalifa "Not Easy"

Has anyone else heard this?? If you like any of the artists involved, give it a listen. There’s not much to it, just a simple melody with an easy hook to sing along to, but they all get the emotion spot on making it sound so smooth and just the right amount of sad. I could listen to those oooohs on loop forever wub.gif
Previous EOY history for X Ambassadors: "Renegades" (#20, 2015), "Unsteady" (#42, 2016)

55. Train "Drink Up"

If you’re a casual Train fan but the endearingly clever "Play That Song" wasn’t really up your street, I highly recommend the follow-up single "Drink Up". It’s very upbeat, the chorus is actually catchy in a good way, and it’s just Train being Train, not trying to copy or chase trends. Maroon 5 NEEDS to take notes.

54. Shawn Mendes "There’s Nothing Holdin’ Me Back"
I’m not surprised Shawn released a new song only 6 months after his album release, considering Illuminate was so ballad-heavy leaving not much choice for singles. This wasn’t holdin’ my attention for very long, unfortunately.
Previous EOY history: "Stitches" (#3, 2015), "Mercy" (#37, 2016)

53. Marian Hill "Down"
A grower as the year went on, it took three months to peak at #12 in my chart and even after it peaked I never got tired of hearing it. Always nice to have a US hit that we kept all to ourselves, not counting every country song in existence tongue.gif.

52. Katy Perry feat. Skip Marley "Chained To The Rhythm"
It was nerve-wracking to hear "Chained" for the first time considering Katy’s extra-long hiatus and the awfulness of her last single "Rise". It turned out to be a good song and fun to dissect the political undertones, but there was always something missing that was hard to pinpoint. The highlight for me was her performances at the Grammy, BRIT, and iHeartRadio Awards, all three having completely different staging iirc! My favorite was the BRIT Awards performance with all the little houses on stage! I didn’t even notice the giant skeletons at first laugh.gif
Previous EOY history: "Dark Horse" (#16, 2014), "This Is How We Do" (#21, 2014)

51. Rita Ora "Anywhere"
This is Rita’s first EOY appearance! I loved "I Will Never Let You Down" and "Black Widow" but somehow didn’t include either one in 2014. Everything since then had been a letdown for me, even "Your Song", but from first listen "Anywhere" sounded like a potential pop classique on the same level as J-Lo’s "Waiting For Tonight" and of course Carly Rae’s "Run Away With Me". I’m holding out hope for it impacting the US but there are no signs of that happening so far. At the very least it might be higher on my EOY next year.

+Quote this post
BridgeCow
post 13th January 2018, 03:33 PM
Post #64
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,860

Nice to see Places here wub.gif it's sooo good just wish it could have been a bit of a bigger hit
Also love Down, it's so infectious and sounds so fresh compared with the rest of the chart nowadays, if only it could have been a hit in the UK too
Anywhere too ofc wub.gif

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 15th January 2018, 07:04 PM
Post #65
Group icon

Some great songs here! Spreading the love for Places, if only some of his other recent stuff had gone Top 40 sad.gif

Agree that All This Time should have done way better in BJSC!

I remember hearing Not Easy, is that from 2017? ohmy.gif It feels like it's older. It's actually really catchy, I should have given it a bit more of my time

This post has been edited by PeteFromLeeds: 15th January 2018, 07:04 PM

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 15th January 2018, 08:44 PM
Post #66
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

Hallo Riser!
Here are my favourites so far:
64. Harry Styles "Sign Of The Times"
62. Martin Solveig feat. Ina Wroldsen "Places"
57. Mabel feat. Kojo Funds "Finders Keepers"
54. Shawn Mendes "There’s Nothing Holdin’ Me Back"
51. Rita Ora "Anywhere"
Good end of the year chart so far!

+Quote this post
Riser
post 17th January 2018, 09:54 PM
Post #67
Group icon

50. Camila Cabello feat. Young Thug "Havana"
Pretty smart release strategy from Camila, releasing two songs at once to see which one catches on, and of course it was going to be "Havana" considering how big Latin music was this summer! But there’s nothing trend-chasing about "Havana", actually it was one of the most unique-sounding hits of the year! Tbf I haven’t listened to "OMG" to really know how it compares, but I bet it doesn’t have a trumpet solo sooooo ~

49. Ed Sheeran "Shape Of You"
I suppose this is my EOY and I shouldn’t need to justify to anyone why I still like "Shape Of You", but I’m mostly trying to justify it to myself. laugh.gif While it’s still a Sia ripoff and Ed seems to get a bit lazier with each album, this does sound to me like it will age well and become a classic, like it or not, and I respect that enough to appreciate the song even after hearing it for the 701st time.
Previous EOY history: "Don’t" (#5, 2014), "Sing" (#30, 2014), "Thinking Out Loud" (#47, 2015)

48. Paramore "Hard Times"
This is Paramore’s second ever appearance on my EOY, and their first since being my #1 of 2014 with "Ain’t It Fun"! With that in mind I was hoping their comeback single would live up to that standard, but while that wasn’t to be I’m still very fond of "Hard Times". It did very well in the UK considering the current chart climate for rock songs, and it’s a shame it barely had support in the US but the long break may have hurt their chances.
Previous EOY history: "Ain’t It Fun" (#1, 2014)

47. Walk The Moon "One Foot"
My EOY #1 artists from 2014 and 2015 are next to each other here! Actually "Shut Up And Dance" was #56 on my 2014 EOY before becoming my #1 the following year, and with "One Foot" just now taking off it could very well replicate that success with a higher EOY placing next year.
Previous EOY history: "Shut Up And Dance" (#1, 2015 and #56, 2014), "Different Colors" (#48, 2015)

46. The Chainsmokers & Coldplay "Something Just Like This"
This surprising yet promising collab ended up really delivering! I initially loved "Something Just Like This" due to its similarities to "Roses", which is my favorite Chainsmokers song to date; however it didn’t hold up as well to the inevitable overplay. Nevertheless, the song does an impressive job of playing to both artists’ strengths, and I commend the Chainsmokers for keeping Coldplay relevant for yet another year wub.gif
Previous EOY history for The Chainsmokers: "#Selfie" (#49, 2014), "Roses" (#16, 2016)
Previous EOY history for Coldplay: "A Sky Full Of Stars" (#52, 2014)

(I quite like that I ranked "#Selfie" above "A Sky Full Of Stars" three years ago. I still stand by that ranking)

45. Joshua Micah "Who Says"

Gonna try not to ramble too much here. I was changing radio stations and the first thing I heard was the drop to this song. THE DROP is a genuine moment and three quarters, and sure enough the rest of the song slayed me just as much. Easily one of the best first impressions I've had of a song all year. "Who Says" was recently #1 on one of the Christian radio formats here and deservedly so, and now I've been brave enough to send it to BJSC! I can't recommend this song highly enough!

44. Logic feat. Alessia Cara & Khalid "1-800-273-8255"
This is Alessia’s first appearance in my EOY following the three she had last year. Very few artists have that many and she has another one still to come; I’ll find out how many five-timers I’ve had before then.
Previous EOY history for Alessia Cara: "Wild Things" (#2, 2016), "Scars To Your Beautiful" (#7, 2016), "I’m Yours" (#47, 2016)

43. Axwell & Ingrosso "More Than You Know"
I like everything I’ve heard from Axwell & Ingrosso but have never properly obsessed over one of their songs until now! "More Than You Know" really brings the energy with a quick tempo, catchy guitar riff and an irresistible drop, was absolutely perfect to listen to this summer.

42. Haim "Little Of Your Love"
This is Haim’s first appearance in my EOY as lead artists, mainly because I didn’t have one in 2013 and their original singles were more slow-burners anyway. "Little Of Your Love" was finally their first song to get even a minimal amount of airplay in the US and I saw the video on TV a few times too. It’s about time they broke through for real over here, even if it didn’t amount to much!
Previous EOY history: "Pray To God" (#39, 2015)

41. Imagine Dragons "Believer"
I’m so glad Imagine Dragons had such a revival this era to make up for their sophomore album not getting the attention it deserved. I think the timing of their return was great, as they waited for Twenty One Pilots to be done and, to be incredibly cynical, it seems like radio can only support one band at a time these days. That said, despite being an instant fan of "Believer" its top 5 success on Billboard (AND fifth-best seller of the year) took even me by surprise!
Previous EOY history: "On Top Of The World" (#37, 2014), "I Bet My Life" (#5, 2015), "Shots" (#36, 2015)

+Quote this post
Riser
post 18th January 2018, 11:50 PM
Post #68
Group icon

40. Miley Cyrus "Malibu"
Not Miley Cyrus coming back with a song that sounds like it belongs on a Milky Chance album *.* This seemed like such a good direction for her music; I was disappointed that nothing else I heard from her sounded like this. "Younger Now" was okay but the other songs she performed on TV were unmemorable to say the least, so I guess she ran out of ideas after "Malibu". sad.gif
Previous EOY history: "Adore You" (#31, 2014), "Feelin’ Myself" (#59, 2014)

39. G-Eazy feat. A$AP Rocky & Cardi B "No Limit"

Here’s my most recent #1 song with a respectable placing just inside the top 40. Honestly it took two or three months after "No Limit" was released for me to force myself to listen to it, thinking it would not be worthwhile. In fact it was right before I did my initial review of it in this thread that I gave it a chance, and the song’s been stuck in my head pretty much ever since then laugh.gif Never would I have imagined G-Eazy of all people would have two #1s on my personal chart!
Previous EOY history for G-Eazy: "Me Myself & I" (#20, 2016)

38. Zedd & Alessia Cara "Stay"
I really wanted Alessia to push another single from her album (specifically "I’m Yours") but instead had to settle for a new song. Would she sound okay on a dance-pop record? Of course! Zedd’s been pretty consistently good since his breakthrough and they turned out to be a good fit for each other. "Stay" ended up being one of the more overplayed songs of the year though, so my love for it has waned quite a bit. Now a new Alessia Cara album is at the top of my wishlist for 2018!
Previous EOY history for Zedd: "Break Free" (#8, 2014), "Starving" (#27, 2016)
Previous EOY history for Alessia Cara: "Wild Things" (#2, 2016), "Scars To Your Beautiful" (#7, 2016), "I’m Yours" (#47, 2016)

37. Camila Cabello "Crying In The Club"
What a grower! At first it was hard to see past how much Camila was trying to sound like Sia—on a Sia-written track no less—but I guess it just took several listens to appreciate "Crying In The Club" as a pretty outstanding solo debut! Watching it climb the UK charts each week was especially fun; once it finally got to #12 I was so impressed that I wasn’t even mad about it missing the top 10. The madness came a few weeks later when it abruptly hit ACR and plummeted. tongue.gif Aside: I was going to rant about this not being on the album but it seems even Camila herself is disowning this song. sad.gif

36. Cheat Codes feat. Demi Lovato "No Promises"
Up until this year I always had the sense that Demi’s music was stuck in the shadow of Selena Gomez, and several other female popstars for that matter. It was frustrating when you know she can sing circles around most of them, but finally 2017 had to be her biggest year yet! It started here with "No Promises", then she followed it up with another feature on "Instruction" plus "Sorry Not Sorry", both of which were even more well-received than this from what I saw. "No Promises" was my fave though; I just loooove the way it builds up on the last chorus and even that generic-as-hell drop never got old. wub.gif
Previous EOY history for Cheat Codes: "Sex" (#26, 2016)
Previous EOY history for Demi Lovato: "Neon Lights" (#58, 2014), "Cool For The Summer" (#40, 2015)

35. Maren Morris "I Could Use A Love Song"

Maren continued to impress in 2017, following up her first two singles with this fantastic ballad. The melody alone is really interesting, and every time I heard it on the radio I’d try to sing harmonies on it which was quite a challenge. laugh.gif Plus, she sounds so much like Kacey Musgraves on this song which is probably why I’m so fond of it! Anyway, "I Could Use A Love Song" makes three strong singles in a row from Maren, and all signs look good for her becoming the next female country superstar which would be so well-deserved!
Previous EOY history: "My Church" (#13, 2016)

34. Lady Gaga "The Cure"
"The Cure" was the first song I ever listened to on Spotify! I still use YouTube pretty exclusively so when this hadn’t been uploaded there the first night or so, I finally put my account to good use and played it on repeat. So that’s what I will associate this song with now, lol.

33. DNCE feat. Nicki Minaj "Kissing Strangers"

"Kissing Strangers" was basically a new and improved version of "Cake By The Ocean", and by improved I mean really, really improved. The hooks are catchier, the falsettos are less screechy, and just before you’ve had enough of Joe Jonas, Nicki Minaj shows up! Her verse is actually really good, not shoehorned into the song at all like I thought it would be. Perhaps DNCE was destined to be one-hit wonders, so I won’t fret that this bombed even when "Cake" was so unavoidably massive. I’m just glad they had a chance to release this even though I’d still be fine never hearing from them again kink.gif
Previous EOY history for Nicki Minaj: "Side To Side" (#18, 2016)

32. Kelly Clarkson "Love So Soft"
Where would you rank this compared to Kelly’s other lead singles? For me it’s definitely above "Never Again", "Mr. Know It All", and "Heartbeat Song", and possibly a couple others if it stands the test of time. It got me way more excited about this album than I was about the last few! Fingers crossed for "Meaning Of Life" and "Medicine" to be her next two singles, in either order! Edit: well that didn't go according to plan :')

31. Sam Smith "Too Good At Goodbyes"
Sam must have had a fair amount of pressure to "not do an Emeli Sande" with his sophomore release, and honestly I didn’t think he’d have it in him to live up to the highlights from his first album. He proved me wrong pretty quickly, winning me over with just a few listens of "Too Good At Goodbyes". It’s very much in his lane but I can’t call it a soundalike of any other song. I’m most impressed with how it’s done in the US, with 15 weeks and counting in the top 10!
Previous EOY history: "Latch" (#11, 2014), "Money On My Mind" (#38, 2014), "I’m Not The Only One" (#39, 2014)

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 19th January 2018, 09:15 PM
Post #69
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

Harry and Rita in the bottom section

Camila x2, Shawn and particularly Cheat Codes are among my other highlights wub.gif

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 20th January 2018, 09:57 AM
Post #70
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

There are a lot of songs on there, that I've enjoyed in 2017, from Camila to Paramore, from Axwell & Ingrosso to Maren Morris.
I can't count how many great songs are there in your Year-End list!

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 20th January 2018, 08:50 PM
Post #71
Group icon

There wasn't that much I could write about all the songs I know on that list so just giving I Could Use a Love Song a listen now, sounds quite nice! Sounds quite similar to other tracks but I like that and her voice is amazing wub.gif

all the talking in the song is rather offputting though

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 21st January 2018, 08:47 AM
Post #72
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835

SO. MANY BOPS.

I hope so Indigo higher up please wub.gif

+Quote this post
Riser
post 21st January 2018, 09:03 PM
Post #73
Group icon

QUOTE(JosephSivan @ Jan 19 2018, 04:15 PM) *
Harry and Rita in the bottom section

Camila x2, Shawn and particularly Cheat Codes are among my other highlights wub.gif

QUOTE(sergejdordij98 @ Jan 20 2018, 04:57 AM) *
There are a lot of songs on there, that I've enjoyed in 2017, from Camila to Paramore, from Axwell & Ingrosso to Maren Morris.
I can't count how many great songs are there in your Year-End list!
Thanks Serge! wub.gif

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Jan 20 2018, 03:50 PM) *
There wasn't that much I could write about all the songs I know on that list so just giving I Could Use a Love Song a listen now, sounds quite nice! Sounds quite similar to other tracks but I like that and her voice is amazing wub.gif

all the talking in the song is rather offputting though
Oh my bad, that's just in the video and it's not like that in the actual song! I was afraid that might happen heehee.gif
I see you changed your avatar again *__*

QUOTE(HarryEzra @ Jan 21 2018, 03:47 AM) *
SO. MANY BOPS.

I hope so Indigo higher up please wub.gif
Thanks Harry! Indigo was in a separate BJSC EOY in my national thread, only my own entries go in this one so they don't overlap wink.gif. But Indigo was #5 in my BJSC EOY!! biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Riser
post 21st January 2018, 11:54 PM
Post #74
Group icon

30. Brothers Osborne "It Ain’t My Fault"

Not gonna be most people’s thing, it’s """real country""" as the snobs would say but seriously, "It Ain’t My Fault" is like a really good classic rock song that just happens to be a country song from 2017. The lyrics alone are among my favorites of last year. Brothers Osborne had a song in the top 10 of my 2016 EOY and it’s so nice to have them back in my top 30 for a second straight year!
Previous EOY history: "Stay A Little Longer" (#9, 2016)

29. Lana Del Rey "Love"
I no longer had high hopes for Lana after her rather unmemorable last two albums, but after reading the "Love" thread the reactions were so overwhelmingly positive that I gave in and listened and just…wow. I easily consider it one of Lana’s best songs, and I still think it has to do with her music evolving from sadcore to happycore. If only it hadn’t leaked and had a full week’s sales to make the top 40!!1
Previous EOY history: "West Coast" (#54, 2014)

28. Emeli Sande "Breathing Underwater"
Ooh, Emeli’s another artist that I almost gave up on until hearing this song, "Breathing Underwater". It’s so majestic wub.gif Probably not lead single material so I get why it wasn’t released first, but it’s leagues and leagues and leagues above and beyond whatever "Hurts" was. Her voice is so pure, I miss hearing it on half of the songs on the chart show. heehee.gif

27. Zedd & Liam Payne "Get Low"
Zedd claims the #27 spot for the second year in a row, and Liam finishes in 3rd place among One Direction members. They’re all on here somewhere except for Louis!
Previous EOY history for Zedd: "Break Free" (#8, 2014), "Starving" (#27, 2016)

26. The Chainsmokers "Paris"
So the Chainsmokers took a genuine risk after "Closer" by releasing a single with Drew doing 99% of the vocals, and anyone who’s heard him sing can understand why that’s a risk. But "Paris" ended up being one of their biggest earworms for me. This showed they can do a mellow song with no drop, and have a hit that doesn’t follow the same exact formula as their others. I really like the mix of instruments here—a lot of piano, a little guitar, and of course the saxophone at the end!
Previous EOY history: "#Selfie" (#42, 2014), "Roses" (#16, 2016)

25. Sabrina Carpenter "Why"

I genuinely can’t decide which Sabrina song I like more, so here they are back-to-back. While "Thumbs" was an obvious jam, "Why" is more unconventional and I appreciate them both in different ways. I love the chorus on “Why” SO MUCH, she has great producers for someone who’s still trying to break through. Despite missing the Hot 100 it did far better than I would’ve guessed on our airplay charts; I probably heard it even more than I heard "Thumbs".

24. Sabrina Carpenter "Thumbs"

I think more than any other song this year, "Thumbs" is the one that absolutely floored me on first listen. The way it goes from jazzy dance-pop to reggae and back without missing a beat just blew my mind. I couldn’t work out what song it reminds me of but lo and behold it’s Sam Sparro "Black And Gold"! heart.gif Sabrina is clearly working with really good people and even if these songs aren’t smashing like they deserve to, I hope they get her somewhere eventually.

23. Justin Bieber & BloodPop "Friends"
While I’m still bitter that “Friends” didn’t fulfill its potential, at least it means we may not hear from Justin for a while, which I’m more than fine with since the last few years have been overkill to say the least kink.gif
Previous EOY history for Justin Bieber: "Sorry" (#12, 2016 and #14, 2015), "Let Me Love You" (#6, 2016)

22. Ariana Grande feat. Future "Everyday"
Ariana’s the number-one artist in my chart history with 5 #1s and 7 top 3s, including "Everyday". This was the first year she didn’t get a #1, but I can’t see anyone catching up to her anytime soon. Future did surprisingly well for himself this year, with one more entry, albeit another feature, still to come!
Previous EOY history for Ariana Grande: "Break Free" (#8, 2014), "One Last Time" (#4, 2015), "Focus" (#30, 2015), "Into You" (#1, 2016), "Side To Side" (#18, 2016)

21. Niall Horan "Too Much To Ask"
I’m in the minority that never got into "Slow Hands" and felt it was Niall’s weakest offering; it seems I like him better as a balladeer. "Too Much To Ask" is his first song that has really connected with me, what a beauty wub.gif

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 22nd January 2018, 04:25 PM
Post #75
Group icon

QUOTE(Riser @ Jan 21 2018, 09:03 PM) *
Oh my bad, that's just in the video and it's not like that in the actual song! I was afraid that might happen heehee.gif

Yeah I gathered, I never really get talking in the middle of music videos though, it just puts you off the song mellow.gif

I love Thumbs wub.gif the jazz-dance in the chorus is amazing but I think it's all the wordplay in the verses that really makes it for me! Really stands out from her other tracks.

+Quote this post
Riser
post 24th January 2018, 09:56 PM
Post #76
Group icon

20. Maroon 5 feat. Future "Cold"
Maroon 5 briefly redeemed themselves from the tropical-pop travesty of "Don’t Wanna Know", with a song that even further abandoned their pop-rock roots but was also quite a step up from their usual offensively-inoffensive MOR radio fodder. With that in mind I’m rewarding "Cold" with a top 20 spot, even though they went right back to their usual crap after this was done.
Previous EOY history for Maroon 5: "Animals" (#6, 2014), "This Summer’s Gonna Hurt Like A Motherf*****" (#10, 2015), "Sugar" (#28, 2015)

19. J Balvin & Willy William "Mi Gente"
Every year my song of the summer seems to be one that underperforms in the charts and peaks at #2 on mine. This year the #2 streak continues, but I can’t say "Mi Gente" underperformed in any way! It takes the crown from last year’s song of the summer, Fifth Harmony’s "All In My Head (Flex)", and joins the ranks with other past winners Maroon 5 ("This Summer’s Gonna Hurt Like A Motherf*****") and Katy Perry ("This Is How We Do").

18. Imagine Dragons "Thunder"

Imagine Dragons make their second appearance with "Thunder", my #1 song in November. I still have slight chart guilt over this because it’s not exactly a signature song of theirs, but it’s still fantastic and I don’t want to change my opinion just because it’s Imagine Dragons. The build-up at the end is particularly stunning wub.gif
Previous EOY history: "On Top Of The World" (#37, 2014), "I Bet My Life" (#5, 2015), "Shots" (#36, 2015)

17. Lauren Alaina "Road Less Traveled"

"Road Less Traveled" is on here for a second year as it improves on last year’s EOY peak. There’s two more songs from 2016 still to come! Most people know this as my second-biggest BJSC hit to date, and in April it became a #1 song on country radio! I wish it could be a little higher here, but this feels right based on the other songs remaining. Still a great result biggrin.gif
Previous EOY history: "Road Less Traveled" (#51, 2016)

16. Halsey "Now Or Never"
Sooo I was just about to say that I sense a Lana Del Rey influence on this song that I really like (I’m thinking of the production on "Blue Jeans", not sure if it’s just me)…then I remembered that copying Lana Del Rey was the exact reason I detested Halsey in the first place. blush.gif I guess she really has done a proper 180 from the tragic wannabe-hipster cliché of "New Americana"; thank goodness she abandoned that and embraced being a mainstream pop sellout *.*

(Yes, I was exaggerating, but only slightly)

15. Halsey "Bad At Love"
"Bad At Love" has had heavy airplay here for five months and still hasn’t got old for me! I enjoy the rare occasions when a pop song this massive in the US goes unnoticed everywhere else. I guess this is the "Love On The Brain" of 2017. Also, if I could go back and turn some of my non-#1s into #1s, I’d for sure change this one!

14. Thomas Rhett feat. Maren Morris "Craving You"

These are my two favorite country solo artists right now, so this collab was a dream come true, putting Thomas’s genre-bending style and Maren’s powerhouse vocals together! "Craving You" was my #1 in April, which didn’t feel right at first because Thomas had only got to #2 and Maren to #3 with what I consider their signature hits. It works out in the end, because those signature hits are still their highest EOY positions!
Previous EOY history for Thomas Rhett: "Crash And Burn" (#7, 2015)
Previous EOY history for Maren Morris: "My Church" (#13, 2016)

13. Little Big Town "Better Man"

Three country songs in this section has to be a record! Little Big Town can do no wrong with their flawless harmonies (except for Wanderlust which was all kinds of wrong :') ), and here they give life to a song written by none other than Taylor Swift. I think they do "Better Man" far more justice than she could have, and lo and behold it’s the highest country song on my EOY this year!

12. Selena Gomez "Bad Liar"

After a few years where I was less than impressed, Selena Gomez finally won me back over with a game-changing, kinda 90s-alt-pop-sounding song! I’ve always been harsh on her vocals but not here, it’s as if "Bad Liar" was tailor-made to play up to her strengths. It stood out so much on the radio and seemed like the perfect direction to take her music into, but it stalled on the charts and neither follow-up has sounded anything like it. Fabulous video too, in fact everything about this song is a triumph!

11. Adele "Water Under The Bridge"
GAH I’m sorry Adele, you were a dead cert for top 10 all year until another song pushed you out at the last moment (and no it’s not the song at #10). Just like "Water Under The Bridge" was her first song to miss #1 on my chart, although it did reach #2! I couldn’t have asked for a better 25 era with Adele getting 3 #1s in a row and a #2. She picked all the right singles IMO!
Previous EOY history: "Hello" (#13, 2015), "When We Were Young" (#3, 2016), "Send My Love (To Your New Lover)" (#5, 2016)

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 25th January 2018, 06:40 PM
Post #77
Group icon

Mi Gente wub.gif My favourite of the Latin onslaught of last summer, so glad it could become a hit without a big name feature!

I quite liked Bad Liar as well! Agree with your description, sounds like an alt-pop track that you would never really hear on the charts so glad to see it do well!

+Quote this post
Riser
post 27th January 2018, 03:32 AM
Post #78
Group icon

10. Shawn Mendes "Mercy"
Another song improving on its EOY peak from last year, "Mercy" is firmly Shawn’s best song since "Stitches" to these ears. Simply an incredible ballad, and a testament to Shawn having talent beyond his years. heart.gif
Previous EOY history: "Stitches" (#3, 2015), "Mercy" (#37, 2016)

9. Zayn feat. Sia "Dusk Till Dawn"

From one incredible ballad to another. I’m most impressed that Zayn pretty much carries "Dusk Till Dawn" on his own, with Sia mostly in the background. I would’ve expected her to be a lot more prominent, but it doesn’t matter because their voices blend together so well! ohmy.gif I can’t decide which part gives me more chills: "baby I’m right heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere" (seriously, that note just keeps going and going and going) or "give love to your bodaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" wub.gif
Previous EOY history for Zayn: "Like I Would" (#34, 2016)
Previous EOY history for Sia: "Chandelier" (#33, 2014), "Elastic Heart" (#35, 2015), "The Greatest" (#36, 2016), "Cheap Thrills" (#52, 2016)

8. Lorde "Perfect Places"

"Perfect Places" is Melodrama’s euphoric album closer, and easily carried on the hype that "Green Light" started for Lorde’s long-awaited sophomore release. It does sound like a mature version of "Team" to me and it was nice to have something on Melodrama that was so reminiscent of Pure Heroine, if only just to see how far she’s come as an artist since then. It was well worth the wait!
Previous EOY history: "Team" (#12, 2014)

7. Katy Perry feat. Migos "Bon Appetit"

I’m not used to having good first impressions of Katy’s singles, instead almost always having to let them grow. I was already expecting the worst for a collab with Migos and yet, somehow, "Bon Appetit" was VERY instant. The production, just the intro alone, and by the end of the first verse there was no going back. I can’t get over the irony of how this bombed when Migos were so inexplicably popular in 2017, only Katy Perry could do that laugh.gif But even if this sealed Witness’s fate before it was even released, I’ll take a hot mess like this over woke pop any day anytime.
Previous EOY history for Katy: "Dark Horse" (#16, 2014), "This Is How We Do" (#21, 2014)

6. Bruno Mars "That’s What I Like"
What even is the hate for this song, how is it a thing? I found "That’s What I Like" to be totally irresistible and the lone bright spot in a list of very underwhelming stateside #1s last year. Needless to say the negative reaction on Buzzjack surprised me quite a bit…just be glad you weren’t here when it was #1 on airplay for 9 weeks. laugh.gif
Previous EOY history: "Young Girls" (#44, 2014)

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 28th January 2018, 12:16 PM
Post #79
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

Double Sabrina *.* Thumbs is definitely my favourite of the two but Why is a nice little song too. It's a shame she's not taking off properly, she has loads of star quality!

Bad Liar, Friends, Mi Gente, Too Much to Ask, Mercy and Bon Appétit are other faves *.*

+Quote this post
Riser
post 30th January 2018, 11:03 PM
Post #80
Group icon

5. French Montana feat. Swae Lee “Unforgettable”
Probably my favorite video of the year goes to “Unforgettable”! I would compare it to “Lean On” as far as being full of effortless swag, a lot of color, and in an exotic location, if you’d call Uganda exotic. The way they captured everyone dancing is just so captivating to watch! The song itself lives up to its name, it is so catchy and refused to get old. Bonus points for the steel drums. At first this was barely impacting the US while it smashed everywhere else; I’m glad we came around to it eventually! On my chart it was stuck at #2 for two months, but here beats both songs that prevented it from #1 (“Bon Appetit” and “Bad Liar”).
Previous EOY history for French Montana: “Feelin’ Myself” (#59, 2014)

4. Dua Lipa “New Rules”

I won’t have much to say about “New Rules” that hasn’t already been said. I’m a huge fan just like the rest of Buzzjack, and what a juggernaut it was on the charts! Has to be one of the most unlikely big smash hits of 2017, plus with it being the first female solo #1 since “Hello” as well as a post-album single, it was just a hugely refreshing moment for a lot of chart fans. That makes the song even more special when it already sounded pretty spectacular on its own!

3. Dua Lipa “Be The One”

Up until this finally reached the UK top 40 in January 2017, I had not heard “Be The One” nor was I a fan of Dua’s previous chart hits. I didn’t get the hype for her at all until this song very instantly won me over. It was also an instant #1 on my chart, good going for her very first entry there. Very deserving of her first top 10 officially as lead artist! I still have never heard “Last Dance” or “Lost In Your Light”, but will resolve to do so sometime this year kink.gif

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 06:35 AM