BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> OCC: One hit album wonders, Duffy, Mika, Lauryn Hill, Daniel & Natasha Bedingfield
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Sour Candy
post 2nd August 2016, 04:57 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275

The problem of both Sam Smith and Emeli Sande is that they haven't yet released proper classics as singles. I believe Latch will still be the most frequently played song Smith's been featured on and nobody random person can really remember any songs by Sande.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 2nd August 2016, 08:48 PM
Post #22
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

QUOTE(SKOB @ Aug 2 2016, 05:57 PM) *
The problem of both Sam Smith and Emeli Sande is that they haven't yet released proper classics as singles. I believe Latch will still be the most frequently played song Smith's been featured on and nobody random person can really remember any songs by Sande.

I'm fairly sure most people could name 'Read All About It' and 'Next To Me'.

+Quote this post
paulgilb
post 2nd August 2016, 09:55 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 55

QUOTE(Robbie @ Aug 2 2016, 04:51 PM) *
Duffy's first album was quite good. At the time she was more popular than Adele. Then she released a turkey of a single to promote the second album, sacked her manager (the wonderful Jeanette Lee, formerly of Public Image Ltd and a co-owner of Rough Trade records) and it all went downhill after that.

The difference between Duffy and Adele seems to be that Adele wanted her 2nd album to be successful, whereas Duffy was quite happy to take the money she'd made from her first album and run back into obscurity.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 2nd August 2016, 10:34 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155

QUOTE(paulgilb @ Aug 2 2016, 09:55 PM) *
The difference between Duffy and Adele seems to be that Adele wanted her 2nd album to be successful, whereas Duffy was quite happy to take the money she'd made from her first album and run back into obscurity.

This laugh.gif Duffy dosent seem to give a f*ck her career is over - She could still be touring off the back of the first albums success but seems to be content with what she achieved, I'm sure the royalties are still rolling in too.

+Quote this post
andeeeeyhart
post 2nd August 2016, 11:10 PM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 22,713

Alexandra Burke, Ting Tings, Noisettes spring to mind.

+Quote this post
JCM20
post 3rd August 2016, 12:20 AM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 22,819

Craig David? Although Slicker Than Your Average did not too badly I suppose

+Quote this post
Brightest Blue
post 3rd August 2016, 04:38 AM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 23,155

QUOTE(SKOB @ Aug 2 2016, 05:57 PM) *

I'm not much of a fan of Sande, and I remembered 3 songs of hers instantly.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 3rd August 2016, 06:35 AM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

QUOTE(SKOB @ Aug 2 2016, 06:57 PM) *

you joking? have you heard of a little Sam Smith song called Stay With Me??? most bizarre comment ever lol

I think it's good that Emelie Sande took time off, she saturated the market for 2 years in 2012/13 so she really needed a break from the charts... maybe she's left it too long now but I guess she has avoided a clash with Adele in the charts... still think Emeli Sande will be successful, 1. she writes her own songs so she does not depend on others and 2. her label did all the imaginable promo so sure they'll do the same this time

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post 3rd August 2016, 06:42 AM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Well I think it's just Finland then. Sande never gets played here and Latch really is *the one* by Smith.

4 years is a very long gap, there must be something new in the music if one's going to return successfully

This post has been edited by SKOB: 3rd August 2016, 06:43 AM

+Quote this post
Lomadz
post 3rd August 2016, 06:51 AM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 23,274

QUOTE(___∆___ @ Aug 1 2016, 11:12 PM) *
I still LOVE Daniel Bedingfields 2nd album, so underrated.

Glad someone else agrees. I played it a lot more than the first back in the day. Some really really strong tracks but less commercial. He was always a bit of a strange popstar.

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 3rd August 2016, 07:29 AM
Post #31
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

QUOTE(___∆___ @ Aug 2 2016, 11:34 PM) *
This laugh.gif Duffy dosent seem to give a f*ck her career is over - She could still be touring off the back of the first albums success but seems to be content with what she achieved, I'm sure the royalties are still rolling in too.

She's still doing bits and bobs. There were a few tracks for Legend last year and she also had a cameo in the film. She's also done other acting. I just hope she puts out a third album before long, I don't even care whether it's successful or not.

+Quote this post
JCM20
post 3rd August 2016, 08:37 AM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

Rihanna didn't release an album for 4 years either - it's done OK in falling sales climates like these

+Quote this post
Robbie
post 3rd August 2016, 10:07 AM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 366

QUOTE(paulgilb @ Aug 2 2016, 10:55 PM) *
From what I've read Duffy was very upset that her second album didn't too well and sank into depression as a result. She's supposedly recorded a third album but for whatever reason she seems reluctant to actually release it.

Also, when Adele announced she was about to release her second album I can remember thinking at the time that it would probably be a flop! In fact I think I might have even posted that over at Moopy - then one snowy night back in the great snowy November / December we had back in 2010 she appeared on Jools Holland's "Later" show and sang 'Someone Like You' and I had to admit that perhaps I might be wrong...

This post has been edited by Robbie: 3rd August 2016, 10:13 AM

+Quote this post
Scene
post 3rd August 2016, 10:33 AM
Post #34
Group icon
Baby Reindeer
User: 5,567

I think the problem with Emeli (and potentially Sam) is that they are seen as "mini Adeles" - kind of like how Adele herself was once seen with Duffy as a "mini Amy". Adele could afford to not release a follow-up album for nearly 5 years because 21 was incredibly HUGE. While both OVOE and ITLH have been big successes, I don't think either Emeli or Sam could successfully leave a 4-5 year gap between albums since they aren't as big of a deal as Adele. It may be too late for Emeli to have another big era but Sam should get new music out next year at the very latest otherwise he's going to fall out of trend.

+Quote this post
JCM20
post 3rd August 2016, 11:06 AM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(Scene @ Aug 3 2016, 11:33 AM) *
I think the problem with Emeli (and potentially Sam) is that they are seen as "mini Adeles" - kind of like how Adele herself was once seen with Duffy as a "mini Amy". Adele could afford to not release a follow-up album for nearly 5 years because 21 was incredibly HUGE. While both OVOE and ITLH have been big successes, I don't think either Emeli or Sam could successfully leave a 4-5 year gap between albums since they aren't as big of a deal as Adele. It may be too late for Emeli to have another big era but Sam should get new music out next year at the very latest otherwise he's going to fall out of trend.

I know he's of a totally different calibre but do you think George Ezra has any chance of reaching the heights of Wanted on Voyage with his next album or was that just a flash in the pan?

+Quote this post
Scene
post 3rd August 2016, 11:18 AM
Post #36
Group icon
Baby Reindeer
User: 5,567

QUOTE(JCM20 @ Aug 3 2016, 12:06 PM) *
I know he's of a totally different calibre but do you think George Ezra has any chance of reaching the heights of Wanted on Voyage with his next album or was that just a flash in the pan?

I actually think he stands a good chance of bettering himself commercially with his next album. The fact that he wasn't too overexposed with his WOV era should definitely work in his favour. Unless the quality of his music rapidly deteriorates between WOV and the next album, I think he'll be as successful, if not more, the second time around. I'm not really a fan of GE but he's clearly got the critics, radio and music fans on side.

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post 3rd August 2016, 11:22 AM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Scene @ Aug 3 2016, 11:33 AM) *

Basically this.

It's also worth noting that the mellow r&b pop Sande did is not popular any more at all. She has two ways in my opinion: electrify herself and go more dance or just focus on huge ballads a la Hello.

+Quote this post
tommie
post 3rd August 2016, 11:34 AM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

QUOTE(T Boy @ Aug 2 2016, 09:03 AM) *
That wasn't really a term back then. I thought it only got invented to cover Gaga's arse if she flopped.

"Buzz" or "promo only" singles have been a term for ages. Lily Allen's LDN was a "buzz release" originally with a cheap video.

+Quote this post
N-S
post 3rd August 2016, 04:01 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 816

QUOTE(SKOB @ Aug 3 2016, 07:42 AM) *
Well I think it's just Finland then. Sande never gets played here and Latch really is *the one* by Smith.

It must be Finland only, because for what I know, in most countries "Stay With Me" is by far the Sam Smith standard.

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 3rd August 2016, 08:19 PM
Post #40
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

Surely Sam Smith as one of the few out gay pop singers has a wealth of experience and angst to mine for new songs for a future album or albums?

Not to mention he's already showed versatility dipping into collaborations on rap and dance-EDM records. Surely Naughty Boy owes him a feature for the lead single of a new album? I wouldn't expect him to sink without a trace really unless something really big goes down. Or I guess, unless he decides to retire and live a quiet life.

In terms of Emeli Sande she should do a Rihanna and feature on a big song like Love the Way You Lie. She's a big voiced female with a quirky style, there's a million and one directions she could go in. A big feature would get her name out there again without the risk of a flop falling at her feet as the featured artist - and then she could release her lead single off the back of it. As a comeback and a follow-up to a big feature it would sell moderately well on her name alone.

An artist I wonder if we're going to see more of is Jessie J. Her career's been a lot more flash in the pan than I would've thought from how her first era went and how she was hammered promo-wise on everything possible and hailed as the second coming.

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: 3rd August 2016, 08:24 PM

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 05:39 AM