BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Josh's Top 104 Movies of 2017!, It's back !!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Tafty³³³
post 20th January 2018, 08:14 PM
Post #21
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

'Murder On the Orient Express' was definitely disappointing. But I wouldn't say I particularly disliked it, but I wouldn't say I liked it either. Very Sunday afternoon ITV drama. 'Assassin's Creed' is so bad. Such a mess. Extremely disappointed as I value Michael Fassbender so much. But he's had quite a big slump in quality these last couple of years! sad.gif

'Atomic Blonde' is ok. Bit bland and generic action, thriller but it was watchable. 'The Dark Tower' I started but never got around to finishing and I'm not bothered laugh.gif Another film that was disappointing after all the hype. Especially with Idris and Matthew in the cast. I liked 'Jackie'. I do think it was helped by me watching it on the plane, so I had limited options to switch to, but Natalie's performance was outstanding, as you said. This is the only film that I'm a bit sad about seeing so low tbh. Everything else has been deserved or I can see why though, so yay! biggrin.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 20th January 2018, 11:24 PM
Post #22
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

Only seen Free Fire, MOTOE, Atomic Blonde and Jackie so looks like me missing loads of films this year wasn't too bad in the end kink.gif laugh.gif

MOTOE is trash so I'm glad to see that gone fairly early, Atomic was meh for me but Charlize was my highlight and I agree with you on Free Fire, I had no clue who was shooting who for so much of the film! laugh.gif
I loved Jackie & def agree with Portman/score being the highlights <3

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 21st January 2018, 09:39 PM
Post #23
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

QUOTE(Regina @ Jan 19 2018, 08:48 PM) *
I HAVE SEEN HAMPSTEAD. I love Diane Keaton but this was kinda bland by her standards.

Yeah, she is fab usually but even she couldn't save this from being a total C-list movie. It's certainly no Annie Hall...

QUOTE(HarryEzra @ Jan 19 2018, 09:30 PM) *
I don't think I have seen any of these, the only two that kinda makes me want to see them is Atomic Blonde and Ghost In The Shell but all the rest not massively interested due to seeing reviews or just not knowing a lot about them (although I will NEVER see the emoji film laugh.gif)

Hopefully you will have seen a few more as we get further up the list to the better movies! I can't exactly say I'd recommend any of those films you listed heehee.gif

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Jan 20 2018, 08:14 PM) *
'Murder On the Orient Express' was definitely disappointing. But I wouldn't say I particularly disliked it, but I wouldn't say I liked it either. Very Sunday afternoon ITV drama. 'Assassin's Creed' is so bad. Such a mess. Extremely disappointed as I value Michael Fassbender so much. But he's had quite a big slump in quality these last couple of years! sad.gif

'Atomic Blonde' is ok. Bit bland and generic action, thriller but it was watchable. 'The Dark Tower' I started but never got around to finishing and I'm not bothered laugh.gif Another film that was disappointing after all the hype. Especially with Idris and Matthew in the cast. I liked 'Jackie'. I do think it was helped by me watching it on the plane, so I had limited options to switch to, but Natalie's performance was outstanding, as you said. This is the only film that I'm a bit sad about seeing so low tbh. Everything else has been deserved or I can see why though, so yay! biggrin.gif

Michael Fassbender is such a talented actor and is absolutely superb in the right role (12YAS & Steve Jobs for example) but he's been in pretty much all bad movies this year - he definitely needs a better agent laugh.gif

Oops at you not even finishing The Dark Tower, especially considering how short it was !! It definitely had its problems but I found it pretty entertaining tbh, just very forgettable. Natalie and the score were my biggest take aways from Jackie, I just found the film itself pretty dull. I'm glad we agree on most things so far though heehee.gif wub.gif

QUOTE(UltraReputation @ Jan 20 2018, 11:24 PM) *
Only seen Free Fire, MOTOE, Atomic Blonde and Jackie so looks like me missing loads of films this year wasn't too bad in the end kink.gif laugh.gif

MOTOE is trash so I'm glad to see that gone fairly early, Atomic was meh for me but Charlize was my highlight and I agree with you on Free Fire, I had no clue who was shooting who for so much of the film! laugh.gif
I loved Jackie & def agree with Portman/score being the highlights <3

Lol at both of us hating MOTOE, omg if it becomes a Kenneth Branagh/Hercule Poirot franchise drama.gif drama.gif drama.gif drama.gif

Yay at us agreeing on Jackie - can't argue with La La Land winning for Best Score but Jackie was a close runner up for me, it worked so well in the context of the film!!

Thanks for all the comments guys !! <3

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 21st January 2018, 11:02 PM
Post #24
Group icon
c:

77. The Hitman's Bodyguard
I do feel a bit harsh placing this fairly low because it was pretty fun but it has proven to be really forgettable and I just can't find any room to put it any higher in my countdown. It was also a little bit too long for my liking and I feel like it would've been so much more fun if they had trimmed the runtime down just a little. They also should've given way more screen time to Salma Hayek who was absolutely hilarious in this but given far too little to work with. Reynolds and Jackson were as charismatic as ever though and did well to carry the film between them, they bounced off each other well and I definitely enjoyed watching the film... I do just wish it was a little shorter if I'm being honest.

78. Alien: Covenant
Oops, it doesn't seem like 2017 was really the best year for Michael Fassbender as another film of his lands fairly low here in my countdown. I've never actually seen an Alien movie in full so I'm glad it was pretty easy to jump into and understand. It was pretty tense at times and I especially liked the dynamic between the two characters that Fassbender was playing. However, it all became a bit too predictable at the end and some of the dialogue was just dreadful. I remember cackling out loud at Fassbender delivering "don't let the bed bugs bite" completely deadpan laugh.gif 'Life' did the whole alien theme better to be honest and is still yet to be revealed in the countdown.

79. Mudbound
Another slight shock here as one of this year's awards contenders also comes pretty low in my countdown. The third act definitely makes things a lot more interesting here but the first two is so slow and painful to sit through and I was seriously considering just switching it off and never finding out how it ends (something I've only ever done once in my entire life). I guess it was worthwhile in the end because the ending is so impactful - Garrett Hedlund and Jason Mitchell had some really moving scenes together and it was so tough to watch knowing a friendship between the two just was not plausible back when the film was set. I could rave about the final act of this film for days but surely first 90 minutes or so could have been made a bit more interesting?!

80. Moonlight
Probably the first big shocker of the countdown as BEST PICTURE winner at the Oscars barely makes the top 80 of my personal countdown. I won't deny that, objectively, it was a very well made film but I do look for enjoyment value in films too and I can't say that I wasn't a bit bored for a lot of the runtime here. There were some really beautiful scenes that I could really relate to (the beach scene specifically has stuck in my mind ever since seeing this) and the middle Chiron segment in general was very strong but there were a fair few times where I was checking my watch and hoping it would be over soon. I must admit that I found the final Chiron transition a little unbelievable too and didn't really fit the character that we had come to know in the first two acts of the movie. Shout out to Naomie Harris though for being such a scene stealer here, she really deserved to be more of a contender for the win in her category last year...

81. Baywatch
Unfunny comedies are usually inexcusable really but I'll let this one slide due to incredibly generous amount of topless Zac Efron scenes. I still can't place it too high on my countdown because it really didn't make me laugh out loud once but the whole cast were just so damn attractive so I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it for other reasons than comedy. The chemistry between The Rock and Zac was fun but they just couldn't make the poor material work and it was a bit cringey at times so sit through so many jokes that just did not land. I enjoyed Priyanka Chopra in it a lot too, I hope she gets more Hollywood roles in the future.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 22nd January 2018, 02:32 AM
Post #25
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

'The Hitman's Bodyguard' was disappointing for me. It was slightly below average for me and it's a shame coz I was really looking forward to it. The 'Alien' franchise is overrated in general I feel. Maybe not so much the first couple due to them being ahead of their time or whatever, but as films, I find them a bit... "eh". Fassbender was definitely the highlight of this one and 'Prometheus'. In fact 'Prometheus' was the first film that made me notice him, coz he was the star in such a poor movie haha (then after a quick IMDB check, I found out he was in 'Eden Lake' which is one of my fave movies wub.gif) this was actually slightly better than I thought it would be but still wasn't anything to write home about.

'Baywatch' I've seen bits of, but haven't seen in full and tbh I have no desire to either. It's a shame coz I love The Rock and really like Zac. Butttt YES. FINALLY. Someone agrees with me on 'Moonlight'. It's a well made film, but so boring. So disappointed with it. I wouldn't say I disliked it, but it wasn't anywhere near as good as others say it is imo. sad.gif

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 22nd January 2018, 03:57 PM
Post #26
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666

I've seen The Hitman's Bodyguard. It was great

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 22nd January 2018, 09:39 PM
Post #27
Group icon
c:

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Jan 22 2018, 02:32 AM) *
'The Hitman's Bodyguard' was disappointing for me. It was slightly below average for me and it's a shame coz I was really looking forward to it. The 'Alien' franchise is overrated in general I feel. Maybe not so much the first couple due to them being ahead of their time or whatever, but as films, I find them a bit... "eh". Fassbender was definitely the highlight of this one and 'Prometheus'. In fact 'Prometheus' was the first film that made me notice him, coz he was the star in such a poor movie haha (then after a quick IMDB check, I found out he was in 'Eden Lake' which is one of my fave movies wub.gif) this was actually slightly better than I thought it would be but still wasn't anything to write home about.

'Baywatch' I've seen bits of, but haven't seen in full and tbh I have no desire to either. It's a shame coz I love The Rock and really like Zac. Butttt YES. FINALLY. Someone agrees with me on 'Moonlight'. It's a well made film, but so boring. So disappointed with it. I wouldn't say I disliked it, but it wasn't anywhere near as good as others say it is imo. sad.gif

I've seen parts of the first Alien which I quite enjoyed but the whole monster movie thing just isn't really my favourite genre of movie. I'd go see another one if I still have an Unlimited card but probably wouldn't spend money on seeing the sequel..

Hahah, everyone I know absolutely adored Moonlight and I just didn't get the hype. I can certainly appreciate it but it was just too dull to properly enjoy for me.

Thanks for the comment Jonjo <3
QUOTE(DalekTurret32 @ Jan 22 2018, 03:57 PM) *
I've seen The Hitman's Bodyguard. It was great

At this stage, I enjoyed all of the films but just some more than others. I'd probably watch it again quite happily, I just wish it was a little shorter...

Thanks for commenting Dalek!

+Quote this post
Regina
post 22nd January 2018, 09:39 PM
Post #28
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572

I have never seen ANY Alien movie, oops.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 22nd January 2018, 10:04 PM
Post #29
Group icon
c:

72. Borg vs. McEnroe
I was actually going to skip this completely at the cinemas because I didn't think a tennis movie between two people I'd barely even heard of before would be my cup of tea so I was shocked at how much I ended up liking it so much. The film did a really good of establishing the personalities and backgrounds of the two main characters and that helped build to a really tense final act at Wimbledon (made especially tense by the fact I had no idea how the match would turn out and who would end up winning!). I've always liked Shia LaBeouf and he was definitely my highlight in this because McEnroe seemed to be such a fun character in real life. I couldn't believe how much Sverrir Gudnason looked like Borg in real life too once I saw the real pictures at the end.

73. A Monster Calls
I wasn't hyped for this at all based off the trailers but I ended up being pretty impressed with it and it really pulled on my heartstrings - shout out to the on-screen performances by Lewis MacDougall and Felicity Jones because I was almost in tears at numerous points during the film. It was nice to have such a moving storyline mixed in with a friendly monster type film and I would definitely be interested reading the book too (which I do actually own but haven't got around to reading yet!!). The Deathly Hallows-esque visuals during the stories were such a good idea too, they were really interesting to watch.

74. Fences
Another little shocker as yet another Best Picture nominee at the Oscars lands pretty low on the countdown. I think the main downfall for Fences was that it was filmed basically the exact same as a play and it felt a little unsuitable for the big screen. I'm sure a live atmosphere would have made things much more exciting but the direction of the film was just very plain and it was hard to be enthralled in such a cautious adaptation, surely the film version could have been a bit more daring? Saying that, I liked how real it felt at times and it definitely helped some parts hit home even more. Shout out to the performances from the leads too, Denzel certainly had the showier role but Viola stole the show with her snot acting - what a performance !! wub.gif

75. Dunkirk
Oops another shocker!! Dunkirk is on most critic's top 10 EOY lists and it is nowhere near on mine. Massively overrated in my opinion tbh and the technical aspects of the film were the only thing I as really impressed with. Sure, the visual effects were spectacular, the cinematography was breath-taking, the ticking score was so intense and a genius idea Hans Zimmer - I can't deny all of those areas of film making were excellent in this but I just had such a boring time watching the film itself. The dialogue was difficult to hear a lot of the time, the non-linear timelines were confusing and the film felt much longer than 105 minutes, it definitely began to drag for me...

76. American Assassin
Another one of those totally OK movies that is just very forgettable and I would never have paid money to see in the first place. It's basically the definition of a C-list movie and although I had a good time, I'd struggle to say anything about it now if I wasn't reading back on my post for it in the thread. The opening scene on the beach was really intense especially and I remember really enjoying the ending too where it turned into a bit of a disaster flick after the bomb went off. I'd also recommend this film for anyone who likes seeing topless Dylan O'Brien, easily the highlight of the film wub.gif heehee.gif

+Quote this post
Regina
post 22nd January 2018, 10:06 PM
Post #30
Group icon
Raining Shitter

Dylan O'Brien looks totally ridicuous in all the gifs etc I have seen from that movie laugh.gif I honestly thought it was a spoof. He doe snot have the face or build to pull that kind of role off.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 23rd January 2018, 12:51 PM
Post #31
Group icon
c:

QUOTE(Regina @ Jan 22 2018, 09:39 PM) *
I have never seen ANY Alien movie, oops.

From what I've seen, you're not missing loads but I guess the original is a classic for a reason ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

QUOTE(Regina @ Jan 22 2018, 10:06 PM) *
Dylan O'Brien looks totally ridicuous in all the gifs etc I have seen from that movie laugh.gif I honestly thought it was a spoof. He doe snot have the face or build to pull that kind of role off.

I thought he was miscast too but it kind of worked in the film, I sort of forgot about it because I was too focused on his BOD *.*

Thanks for commenting Grant biggrin.gif x

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 23rd January 2018, 01:00 PM
Post #32
Group icon
c:

70. Blade Runner 2049
Yet another shocker as massive critic favourite is nowhere near so high on my own countdown. To be honest, I was actually pleasantly surprised by this because I was absolutely DREADING watching this at first due to the long runtime and boring trailer. It was actually pretty exciting at times (I remember being really shocked when Ryan Gosling wasn't the 'born' child that everyone was talking about and the action was thrilling too) and the cinematography was gorgeous too. However, the runtime was just far, far, far too long and it really dragged in places for me which hugely effected my enjoyment of the film despite how well directed it was.

71. The Death of Stalin
This is another one that I wasn't really looking forward to watching because I'm not that clued up on history and didn't really know anything about Stalin or Soviet Russia. Despite that, I had a really good time in the first two acts or so because the film was just so funny. Some of the political references may have been a bit lost on me but there were so many gags that I was belly laughing at so I was shocked at how much I was loving it. However, in the third act, the jokes dried up a bit and it focused a lot more on the politics which I was completely clueless about so I really struggled to understand what was going on hence why I can't place it any higher here...

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 23rd January 2018, 04:07 PM
Post #33
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666

Dunkirk was pretty good. Death Of Stalin was great. A Monster Calls is a film that I want to see someday

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 26th January 2018, 08:46 PM
Post #34
Group icon
c:

QUOTE(DalekTurret32 @ Jan 23 2018, 04:07 PM) *
Dunkirk was pretty good. Death Of Stalin was great. A Monster Calls is a film that I want to see someday

Glad you're enjoying the countdown. A Monsters Call is a cute film - I would recommend it still even if it's not really high here in my countdown.
Thanks for commenting Dalek!

+Quote this post
Regina
post 26th January 2018, 08:49 PM
Post #35
Group icon
Raining Shitter

I'm becoming more of a history movie buff (thanks to DaddyDaniel) so might check out The Death of Stalin.

+Quote this post
p a v
post 26th January 2018, 09:46 PM
Post #36
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

'to the bone' being so low is quite ridiculous. stunning movie

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 26th January 2018, 11:24 PM
Post #37
Group icon
c:

65. Mother!
Mother was one of the most divisive films of the year and I definitely fall on the 'like' side of the fence for this film. There were certainly some shocking moments which were really tough to watch at times (especially what happens to the baby) and I must admit that I didn't really get what the film was about until reading up on it further later on. Coming out of the film, I wasn't the biggest fan of the film and was just left a bit confused at what I'd watched but after researching the Bible references and searching the net for different interpretations, I realised how exciting it was that the film could have so many hidden meanings and little Easter eggs. I'm still not intelligent enough to comprehend the film on my own but it did shoot up a lot in my rankings after reading other people's opinions of the film online.

66. The Mountain Between Us
This was never the type of film that I was going to absolutely adore as it is a very run-of-the-mill drama and there are hundreds of films just like it but I did think it was pretty cute despite being very forgettable. Kate Winslet is one of my favourite actresses at the moment so her being the lead actress definitely helped me enjoy it a little more than I otherwise would have but the film itself was decent enough to keep me entertained for the whole runtime. The multiple fake-out death scenes got a bit tedious towards the end but I am glad the characters survived as they were very likeable and the ending was rather sweet too.

67. The Circle
I know this got really bad reviews from critics but I must admit that I enjoyed it a fair bit. I really liked the idea of the Circle and I found the buildings there really exciting to explore on-screen. The visual effects and ideas were really cool and I was having a great time in the first act finding out about all this new technology. Tom Hanks was incredibly charismatic here too (as usual) and had me hanging on his every word, a really convincing character portrayal of a Steve Jobs type of character. However, some of the scenes such as the bridge death were just a bit too on-the-nose and a bit more subtlety may have been nice.

68. Daddy's Home 2
The first Daddy's Home film landed at #15 on my EOY back in 2015 so it's probably rather obvious that this was a little bit of a disappointment in comparison. I did have fun watching it still and I quite liked the idea of bringing in the grandparents even if Bad Moms definitely did that idea better. However, so many more jokes fell flat this time and I found myself cringing a lot more in the sequel than I did in the first film. Also, I was hoping John Cena would be a bigger part of the film than he actually was after he was teased at the end of the first film sad.gif

69. Despicable Me 3
I've talked before about hitting the age where animated films mainly aimed at kids just aren't my cup of tea anymore and because of that, I would rank this as my least favourite Despicable Me movie to date. In reality, it's probably no worse than the other instalments but I just find myself eye-rolling now at a lot of the humour and cringing a lot at other parts. Saying that, these films are still a lot of fun and I had a good 90 minutes watching it. Balthazar Bratt was a great villain though just because of how bonkers the character was, the scenes involving him did put a smile on my face - I'd love for him to appear again in future sequels!

+Quote this post
p a v
post 27th January 2018, 07:16 AM
Post #38
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

mother at 65? bitch i'm OUT

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 27th January 2018, 01:28 PM
Post #39
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

Woahhh you're dropping the great ones too quick here - Blade Runner 2049 and Dunkirk were fantastic sad.gif With the latter, the dialogue is very much secondary to what's happening so it may have been intentional, I still think it works rlly well especially with such excellent visuals. Moonlight was also great, I can see how some thought it dragged too much, but I liked the stripped back approach.

I agree re: Fences though, that was the worst of the Best Picture noms for sure, nothing really cinematic about it at all which just fell a bit flat. I still really need to see mother, am quite scared to think what may happen!

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 27th January 2018, 01:40 PM
Post #40
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

Still yet to see it (I really want to tho!!) but I love how mother! is one of the most divisive films ever yet you’ve put it close to the middle of your list laugh.gif

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 02:32 AM