BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> My 1971 Charts, 50th anniversary charts and revisits
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Popchartfreak
post 17th September 2021, 04:54 PM
Post #61
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

4th September 1971

It's 4 weeks on top for Hot Chocolate, and exactly 50 years ago I left Singapore and moved to Liverpool for a week or two, with mum and my brother, at my grandma's - see my Charts of the time for more detail than you might care for - and it's appropriate Hot Chocolate were my first new fave new act on returning to the UK. C.C.S. go top 5, Deep Purple go top 20, while less rock-oriented tracks enter the 40, climbers from The Osmonds grabbing a 3rd top 40, The Fortunes on their 2nd, Lobo on his 2nd, and debuts from The Stampeders and future UK teen sensations the Bay City Rollers. Keep On Dancing, a cover of The Gentry's early 60's US hit, is the highest new entry at 35, and was another record I bought - for my birthday in January. A Jonathan King Bell Records attempt to grab the teen market that didn't quite work, outside this one hit, which was a shame as I much preferred the original Rollers, I liked all their records - until Shang A Lang, chart success, and Les Mckewan becoming lead singer led to me being less-than-impressed. Their flop records up to the original version of Remember (Sha La la) are all great, and don't be fooled by the shoddy cover version Rollers 2 put out years later - the original 1971 Keep On Dancing is way better.

At 52, Mamy Blue - but not the Roger Whittaker cover that hogged the UK limelight as far as radio and TV went, it's the Pop Tops European hit original. much much better. I did like Roger's cover though, so expect it later on. At 58, a fave before leaving for Singapore in 1969, it was fab seeing Clodagh Rodgers still having hits - Lady Luv Bug was catchy & jolly. Jethro Tull were also still hitmaking, though Life Is A Long Song wasn't quite up to Living In The Past, but they get a 4th chart entry at 63. Chairmen Of The Board have a new (flop) single out in the USA, with future UK hit, Working On A Building Of Love, stuck on the B side. So it's charting 9 months early, here.

Autumn, minor one-hit wonders, pop up on Top Of The Pops, but I managed to tape My Little Girl off the Terry Wogan afternoon radio show, so it;s one I know from the time pretty well and am fond of, Mungo Jerry's You Don't Have To Be In The Army was one I quite liked, but never got on tape or record, so I'm kinda revisiting it after only hearing it a few times at the time, and a few times since. A 4th hit for Ray Dorset then. At 74, new to me, is a minor Hot 100 track by Springfield (Doh!) with a rock cover of Cilla Black's It's For You - the Paul McCartney/John Lennon song The Beatles gave away to their mate Cilla. Suits me living in Liverpool this week then! Finally, bottom rung is from Michel Legrand, and the lovely film theme Summer Of '42 - I liked the film when it came on TV, but I loved the theme tune, especially the 1975 hit Biddu version.

1 ( 1 ) I BELIEVE (IN LOVE) - Hot Chocolate # 1
2 ( 2 ) GYPSIES, TRAMPS & THIEVES - Cher # 1
3 ( 3 ) LET YOUR YEAH BE YEAH - The Pioneers # 3
4 ( 4 ) THEME FROM SHAFT - Isaac Hayes # 1
5 ( 14 ) TAP TURNS ON THE WATER - C.C.S # 5
6 ( 9 ) HOCUS POCUS - Focus # 6
7 ( 5 ) SULTANA - Titanic # 5
8 ( 6 ) HAVE YOU SEEN HER - The Chi-Lites # 1
9 ( 7 ) SURRENDER - Diana Ross # 1
10 ( 8 ) GET IT ON (BANG A GONG) - T.Rex # 1

11 ( 10 ) THE NIGHT THEY DROVE OLD DIXIE DOWN - Joan Baez # 2
12 ( 12 ) GO AWAY LITTLE GIRL - Donny Osmond # 12
13 ( 11 ) I’M STILL WAITING - Diana Ross # 5
14 ( 20 ) LET MY NAME BE SORROW - Mary Hopkin # 14
15 ( 13 ) DAY BY DAY (GODSPELL MEDLEY) - Holly Sherwood # 8
16 ( 27 ) BUTTERFLY (UK/AUSTRALIAN 7” VERSION) - Danyel Gerard # 16
17 ( 15 ) TAKE ME GIRL I’M READY - Junior Walker & The All Stars # 5
18 ( 16 ) HEY GIRL DON’T BOTHER ME - The Tams # 6
19 ( 19 ) WHAT ARE YOU DOING SUNDAY - Dawn featuring Tony Orlando # 19
20 ( 33 ) FIREBALL - Deep Purple # 20

21 ( 17 ) HOW CAN YOU MEND A BROKEN HEART - The Bee Gees # 1
22 ( 18 ) MERCY MERCY ME (THE ECOLOGY) - Marvin Gaye # 1
23 ( 23 ) FOR ALL WE KNOW - Shirley Bassey # 9
24 ( 21 ) AIN’T NO SUNSHINE - Bill Withers # 1
25 ( 22 ) UNCLE ALBERT/ADMIRAL HALSEY - Paul & Linda McCartney # 1
26 ( 26 ) THE WITCH QUEEN OF NEW ORLEANS - Redbone # 5
27 ( 25 ) SPANISH HARLEM - Aretha Franklin # 10
28 ( 24 ) TOM TOM TURNAROUND - New World # 8
29 ( 34 ) COUSIN NORMAN - Marmalade # 29
30 ( 38 ) SOME OF SHELLY’S BLUES - The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band # 30

31 ( 31 ) TWEEDLE DEE TWEEDLE DUM - Middle Of The Road # 9
32 ( 43 ) FREEDOM COME, FREEDOM GO - The Fortunes # 32
33 ( 35 ) A-I-E-A-O-A - The Yamasukis # 33
34 ( 32 ) BLACK AND WHITE - Greyhound # 1
35 ( NEW ) KEEP ON DANCING - Bay City Rollers # 35
36 ( 30 ) MONKEY SPANNER - Dave & Ansel Collins # 10
37 ( 46 ) CALIFORNIA KID AND REEMO - Lobo # 37
38 ( 50 ) SWEET CITY WOMAN - The Stampeders # 38
39 ( 37 ) NEVER ENDING SONG OF LOVE - The New Seekers # 8
40 ( 47 ) YO-YO - The Osmonds # 40

41 ( 36 ) SUPERSTAR - Carpenters # 1
42 ( 28 ) HELLO BUDDY - The Tremeloes # 28
43 ( 29 ) HOUND DOG - Elvis Presley # 29
44 ( 40 ) I’M LEAVIN’ - Elvis Presley # 14
45 ( 41 ) NATHAN JONES - The Supremes # 1
46 ( 42 ) BIRDS OF A FEATHER - The Raiders # 10
47 ( 44 ) MAGGIE MAY - Rod Stewart # 4
48 ( 53 ) THIN LINE BETWEEN LOVE AND HATE - The Persuaders # 48
49 ( 56 ) ANOTHER TIME ANOTHER PLACE - Engelbert Humperdinck # 49
50 ( 55 ) TALK IT OVER IN THE MORNING - Anne Murray # 50

51 ( 39 ) AT THE TOP OF THE STAIRS - The Formations # 39
52 ( NEW ) MAMY BLUE - Pop Tops # 52
53 ( 51 ) HOT LOVE - T.Rex # 1
54 ( 48 ) I’M GONNA RUN AWAY FROM YOU - Tami Lynn # 1
55 ( 52 ) HERE COMES THAT RAINY DAY FEELING AGAIN - The Fortunes # 1
56 ( 60 ) HAUNTED - Dusty Springfield # 56
57 ( 49 ) YAMASUKI - The Yamasukis # 5
58 ( NEW ) LADY LUV BUG - Clodagh Rodgers # 58
59 ( 64 ) SURF’S UP - The Beach Boys # 59
60 ( 45 ) K-JEE - Nite-Liters # 39

61 ( 57 ) WHAT’S GOING ON? - Marvin Gaye # 1
62 ( 58 ) ANOTHER DAY - Paul McCartney # 1
63 ( NEW ) LIFE IS A LONG SONG - Jethro Tull # 63
64 ( 67 ) CHERRY OH BABY - Eric Donaldson # 64
65 ( NEW ) WORKING ON A BUILDING OF LOVE - Chairmen Of The Board # 65
66 ( 68 ) BLUE MONDAY - Dave Edmunds # 66
67 ( NEW ) MY LITTLE GIRL - Autumn # 67
68 ( 74 ) REMEMBER - Rock Candy # 68
69 ( 70 ) BLACK SEEDS KEEP ON GROWING - The Main Ingredient # 69
70 ( 71 ) NEW JERSEY - England Dan & John Ford Coley # 70

71 ( NEW ) YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE IN THE ARMY TO FIGHT IN THE WAR - Mungo Jerry # 71
72 ( 75 ) ON THE WAY OUT (ON THE WAY IN) - Jimmy Ruffin # 72
73 ( 54 ) THE STORY IN YOUR EYES - The Moody Blues # 54
74 ( NEW ) IT’S FOR YOU - Springfield # 74
75 ( NEW ) SUMMER OF ’42 (MAIN THEME) - Michel Legrand # 75

7th September 1971 Wot I Liked Then

It's Middle Of The Road's European hit straight in on top, as for the 2nd time in a row it was bubblegum love at first sight for me with Middle Of The Road, the first major new discovery that was climbing the UK charts. I loved the Scottish vibe, the catchy melody and I finally got to see them on Top Of The Pops. Marmalade enter with Cousin Norman, having topped my charts in Singapore with My Little One, which I preferred, C.C.S. were new to me, but loved the naughty, brassy, Tap Turns On The Water, and got the single for Xmas, Rod Stewart was starting up his exactly 50-year hit career (has a good new track out this week) with Maggie May, and James Taylor was covering Carole King, neither of those tracks faves compared to what was around in the charts I was hearing.

My life changed for the worse this week, as mum, brother and me were bussed to RAF Changi waiting room with our luggage and had to say goodbye to dad who was going to wait for take-off below. As we taxi'd onto the runway and picked up speed, I looked at the palm trees and lush vegetation and was immensely sad and tearful to be leaving forever, and to be leaving dad on his own. 50 years later and dad suddenly left us a few weeks ago in front of my eyes with nothing I could do to save him, which makes this memory bitter-sweet as I try to cope with caring for mum with advanced Alzheimers and having to sort so much.

Plane rides in those days were 24-hour, multiple-stop marathons, and the trip home was stressful for mum. Our first stop was Gan, still the sun-drenched tropical island in the Indian Ocean we stopped at 2 years ago to the day, and then by the time we got to RAF Akritiri in Cyprus it was night - and another plane from Singapore was also there, as we got into the waiting room (same as in Gan, we always left the plane for re-fuelling) I saw my form Tutor, Mrs Gibson, from my First-year at RAF Seletar Secondary Modern leave to board her plane. Talk about seeing people in unexpected places!

By the time we got to RAF Brize Norton the weather was bad and it was early morning on the 2nd September, we came in a couple of times trying to land but had to abandon it - we got diverted to Manchester. Mum was very stressed as grandma and her partner were waiting below us with a hire car to take us to her home in Liverpool. So they had to dash to Manchester while we waited for them to turn up with no way of contacting them. When they did come to collect us the hire car was too small, despite mum sending money with the express instruction that it needed to be big cos of the luggage. So I think I had a suitcase on my knees till we got to Kirkdale, near the Stanley Park football ground, and back to the grim grey reality of cold UK, no central heating, outside toilets at the end of the garden, no hot water, coal fires and general poverty. Culture shock, though grandma was so happy to see us and have us to stay a while.

1 ( NEW ) TWEEDLE DEE TWEEDLE DUM - Middle Of The Road
2 ( 1 ) I BELIEVE (IN LOVE) - Hot Chocolate
3 ( 3 ) HEY GIRL DON’T BOTHER ME - The Tams
4 ( 2 ) NEVER ENDING SONG OF LOVE - The New Seekers
5 ( 4 ) I’M STILL WAITING - Diana Ross
6 ( 8 ) IT’S TOO LATE - Carole King
7 ( 5 ) CHIRPY CHIRPY CHEEP CHEEP - Middle Of The Road
8 ( 13 ) BACK STREET LUV - Curved Air
9 ( 7 ) WHAT ARE YOU DOING SUNDAY? - Dawn
10 ( 15 ) DID YOU EVER - Nancy & Lee

11 ( 17 ) NATHAN JONES - The Supremes
12 ( 10 ) SOLDIER BLUE - Buffy Sainte-Marie
13 ( NEW ) COUSIN NORMAN - Marmalade
14 ( 11 ) NEVER CAN SAY GOODBYE - The Jackson 5
15 ( 12 ) TOM TOM TURNAROUND - New World
16 ( 20 ) FOR ALL WE KNOW - Shirley Bassey
17 ( NEW ) TAP TURNS ON THE WATER - C.C.S.
18 ( NEW ) MAGGIE MAY - Rod Stewart

19 ( 16 ) GET IT ON (BANG A GONG) - T.Rex
20 ( NEW ) YOU’VE GOT A FRIEND - James Taylor
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 18th September 2021, 06:02 PM
Post #62
Group icon
With Kristina in heart
User: 28,104

Like Twiggy Clodagh is very underrated 70s singer. She recorded 7 studio albums and over 30 singles.

Some months ago I discovered "Someone To Love Me" (wonderful B-side of her most well-known hit "Jack In A Box").

It's not surprise that "Lady Luv Bug" was # 1 in my chart.

This post has been edited by Last Dreamer: 18th September 2021, 06:33 PM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 18th September 2021, 07:19 PM
Post #63
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Last Dreamer @ Sep 18 2021, 07:02 PM) *
Like Twiggy Clodagh is very underrated 70s singer. She recorded 7 studio albums and over 30 singles.

Some months ago I discovered "Someone To Love Me" (wonderful B-side of her most well-known hit "Jack In A Box").

It's not surprise that "Lady Luv Bug" was # 1 in my chart.

I still like her stuff, especially Save Me, Goodnight Midnight and Come Back And Shake Me heart.gif Lady Luv Bug is still charming, and I finally got hold of the track on CD on a 60's compilation album (I already had all the other hits on vinyl, but never managed to get a copy of it!)

I probably have heard that B side as I have the single in my collection, but I don't remember it - it sounds as if it was probably one of the 6 songs she sang for A Song For Europe but got beaten by Jack In A Box, very jaunty and very UK Eurovision!

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 18th September 2021, 10:11 PM
Post #64
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

The Chi-Lites are a band I hear as answers on Pop Master every day but can’t say I have heard many of their songs!! Loving ‘I’m Still Waiting’ by Diana Ross, heard it on the TOTP repeats thanks to the 1990 remix.

Sorry to hear about your dad there Pop, an emotional read. Shows the charts for you like me are like a journey through your life.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 19th September 2021, 06:07 PM
Post #65
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(steve201 @ Sep 18 2021, 11:11 PM) *
The Chi-Lites are a band I hear as answers on Pop Master every day but can’t say I have heard many of their songs!! Loving ‘I’m Still Waiting’ by Diana Ross, heard it on the TOTP repeats thanks to the 1990 remix.

Sorry to hear about your dad there Pop, an emotional read. Shows the charts for you like me are like a journey through your life.

Thanks steve, and yes music is my life too, i asociate records with people and places and times, my mind just seems to work that way right from being about 4 or 5 years old. Sometimes sad or bad memories, but music helps get through the bad times.

Chi lites havd a great back catslogue - covered by acts like amazulu, ub40, mc hammer, paul young, none of them as good as the originals. They even had a stab at disco, You Dont Gave To Go is amzing and the singer songwriter arranger producer Eugene Record was terrific. Dusty Springfield did a fab verson of his song Am I The Same Girl and Swing Out Sister did a nearly as good cover too.

I love im still waiting too, tho not quite so much the 91 remix heart.gif

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 19th September 2021, 08:24 PM
Post #66
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

I agree Pop - really enjoy making my chart each week and have done so since 2007, wish I had had done it a lot earlier!

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 24th September 2021, 07:35 PM
Post #67
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

11th September 1971

It's straight in at 1 for a Moody Blues song as covered by the mighty voice of Levi Stubbs, and the powerful arrangement of A Simple Game, an instant huge chart-topping fave of mine back in the day as the UK charts were about as exciting as I'd found them in the summer of 1969, jam-packed with records I loved. This gives the Tops a 3rd Retro chart-topper, following on from 1967's Bernadette and Walk Away Renee. In at 3, another huge fave, topping my original charts in 1972 first time-round, but out this week in the USA - a Northern Soul stomper from Donnie Elbert as he covers The Supremes Where Did Our Love Go - and improves on it. I love his voice. I still love both of those records and they son't suffer from over-exposure.

Unlike the 3rd new entry. Imagine is a school-singalong anthem these days, enormously famous, and has topped my personal charts many times over the years - but not in 1971. The album was out in the US this week, but it was never a UK single in 1971. And neither was the future UK chart-topper Jealous Guy (for Roxy Music). Consequently I was barely aware of Imagine until the 1975 hit UK release (it hit 2 for me) and then after John's shocking murder, a personal hero to me, it topped my charts in 1980. It's not fresh anymore, so it's only in at 9. It's still a classic, of course, but 46 years of constant plays has had it replaced by lesser-known Lennon solo songs in my affection. It is, though, his 4th Ex-Beatle top 10.

The Bay City Rollers climb into the 20 with Keep On Dancing, and The Elgins get a 2nd oldie hit as Put Yourself In My Place enters at 45, going where The Isley Brothers have been before with the song - but The Elgins recorded it first, and it was put out by Motown as a B side. I prefer the original version, though The Isleys are never not good. At 65, a melodic piece of UK crooner cheese from Vince Hill, Look Around returning Vince to the Retro countdown 4 years on from Edelweiss, both songs from movies, this one from Love Story, following on from Andy Williams' Where Do I Begin.

At 69, a soul0funk classic from The Staple Singers, Express Yourself never being a UK hit it was another track I was unaware of until Bruce Willis had a UK hit with it in 1987. By 1972 I loved The Staple Singers anyway, though. Neil Sedaka was getting a Don Kirshner backed comeback album in the US, which flopped commercially, but set Neil up for a UK-based career revival in 1972 - and 2 tracks from it enter, both are a far cry from his teen-boppy years in the 50's and early 60's, and signal his singer-songwriter era of 72/73. That leaves The Intruders back again with a Gamble/Huff Philly soul cut that I've never heard before. It's Gamble & Huff, though, so it's bound to be good.

1 ( NEW ) A SIMPLE GAME - The Four Tops # 1
2 ( 1 ) I BELIEVE (IN LOVE) - Hot Chocolate # 1
3 ( NEW ) WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO - Donnie Elbert # 3
4 ( 2 ) GYPSIES, TRAMPS & THIEVES - Cher # 1
5 ( 5 ) TAP TURNS ON THE WATER - C.C.S # 5
6 ( 6 ) HOCUS POCUS - Focus # 6
7 ( 3 ) LET YOUR YEAH BE YEAH - The Pioneers # 3
8 ( 4 ) THEME FROM SHAFT - Isaac Hayes # 1
9 ( NEW ) IMAGINE - John Lennon # 9
10 ( 8 ) HAVE YOU SEEN HER - The Chi-Lites # 1

11 ( 7 ) SULTANA - Titanic # 5
12 ( 14 ) LET MY NAME BE SORROW - Mary Hopkin # 12
13 ( 10 ) GET IT ON (BANG A GONG) - T.Rex # 1
14 ( 9 ) SURRENDER - Diana Ross # 1
15 ( 11 ) THE NIGHT THEY DROVE OLD DIXIE DOWN - Joan Baez # 2
16 ( 16 ) BUTTERFLY (UK/AUSTRALIAN 7” VERSION) - Danyel Gerard # 16
17 ( 13 ) I’M STILL WAITING - Diana Ross # 5
18 ( 35 ) KEEP ON DANCING - Bay City Rollers # 18
19 ( 17 ) TAKE ME GIRL I’M READY - Junior Walker & The All Stars # 5
20 ( 15 ) DAY BY DAY (GODSPELL MEDLEY) - Holly Sherwood # 8

21 ( 12 ) GO AWAY LITTLE GIRL - Donny Osmond # 12
22 ( 18 ) HEY GIRL DON’T BOTHER ME - The Tams # 6
23 ( 21 ) HOW CAN YOU MEND A BROKEN HEART - The Bee Gees # 1
24 ( 22 ) MERCY MERCY ME (THE ECOLOGY) - Marvin Gaye # 1
25 ( 30 ) SOME OF SHELLY’S BLUES - The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band # 25
26 ( 29 ) COUSIN NORMAN - Marmalade # 26
27 ( 32 ) FREEDOM COME, FREEDOM GO - The Fortunes # 27
28 ( 25 ) UNCLE ALBERT/ADMIRAL HALSEY - Paul & Linda McCartney # 1
29 ( 24 ) AIN’T NO SUNSHINE - Bill Withers # 1
30 ( 23 ) FOR ALL WE KNOW - Shirley Bassey # 9

31 ( 20 ) FIREBALL - Deep Purple # 20
32 ( 26 ) THE WITCH QUEEN OF NEW ORLEANS - Redbone # 5
33 ( 28 ) TOM TOM TURNAROUND - New World # 8
34 ( 27 ) SPANISH HARLEM - Aretha Franklin # 10
35 ( 38 ) SWEET CITY WOMAN - The Stampeders # 35
36 ( 37 ) CALIFORNIA KID AND REEMO - Lobo # 36
37 ( 31 ) TWEEDLE DEE TWEEDLE DUM - Middle Of The Road # 9
38 ( 34 ) BLACK AND WHITE - Greyhound # 1
39 ( 19 ) WHAT ARE YOU DOING SUNDAY - Dawn featuring Tony Orlando # 19
40 ( 33 ) A-I-E-A-O-A - The Yamasukis # 33

41 ( 36 ) MONKEY SPANNER - Dave & Ansel Collins # 10
42 ( 39 ) NEVER ENDING SONG OF LOVE - The New Seekers # 8
43 ( 48 ) THIN LINE BETWEEN LOVE AND HATE - The Persuaders # 43
44 ( 41 ) SUPERSTAR - Carpenters # 1
45 ( NEW ) PUT YOURSELF IN MY PLACE - The Elgins # 45
46 ( 58 ) LADY LUV BUG - Clodagh Rodgers # 46
47 ( 49 ) ANOTHER TIME ANOTHER PLACE - Engelbert Humperdinck # 47
48 ( 45 ) NATHAN JONES - The Supremes # 1
49 ( 46 ) BIRDS OF A FEATHER - The Raiders # 10
50 ( 47 ) MAGGIE MAY - Rod Stewart # 4

51 ( 44 ) I’M LEAVIN’ - Elvis Presley # 14
52 ( 52 ) MAMY BLUE - Pop Tops # 52
53 ( 63 ) LIFE IS A LONG SONG - Jethro Tull # 53
54 ( 59 ) SURF’S UP - The Beach Boys # 54
55 ( 53 ) HOT LOVE - T.Rex # 1
56 ( 67 ) MY LITTLE GIRL - Autumn # 56
57 ( 54 ) I’M GONNA RUN AWAY FROM YOU - Tami Lynn # 1
58 ( 55 ) HERE COMES THAT RAINY DAY FEELING AGAIN - The Fortunes # 1
59 ( 65 ) WORKING ON A BUILDING OF LOVE - Chairmen Of The Board # 59
60 ( 40 ) YO-YO - The Osmonds # 40

61 ( 57 ) YAMASUKI - The Yamasukis # 5
62 ( 61 ) WHAT’S GOING ON? - Marvin Gaye # 1
63 ( 62 ) ANOTHER DAY - Paul McCartney # 1
64 ( 66 ) BLUE MONDAY - Dave Edmunds # 64
65 ( NEW ) LOOK AROUND (AND YOU’LL FIND ME THERE) - Vince Hill # 65
66 ( 71 ) YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE IN THE ARMY TO FIGHT IN THE WAR - Mungo Jerry # 66
67 ( 75 ) SUMMER OF ’42 (MAIN THEME) - Michel Legrand # 67
68 ( NEW ) JEALOUS GUY - John Lennon # 68
69 ( NEW ) RESPECT YOURSELF - The Staple Singers # 69

70 ( 72 ) ON THE WAY OUT (ON THE WAY IN) - Jimmy Ruffin # 70

71 ( 50 ) TALK IT OVER IN THE MORNING - Anne Murray # 50
72 ( NEW ) I’M A SONG (SING ME) - Neil Sedaka # 72
73 ( NEW ) I BET HE DON’T LOVE YOU (LIKE I LOVE YOU) - The Intruders # 73

74 ( 56 ) HAUNTED - Dusty Springfield # 56
75 ( NEW ) SUPERBIRD - Neil Sedaka # 75

14th September 1971 My Charts Of The Time

It's 2 weeks on top for Middle Of The Road, my new fave record as we moved from mum's mum in Liverpool to dad's mum and dad in Clipstone, Mansfield to stay with my grandparents and 15-year-old Aunty Ann, who lived in the Primary School Caretakers House. I got to play Ann's records on the stereogram, and Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep which I'd brought with me from Singapore on the plane. I also got to buy some brand new DC comics from a local newsagents comics rack, Teen Titans one of them, currently big on adult Netflix and kids TV animation. 50 years ahead of my time, me! I also got to watch the Top Of The Pops chart countdown and latest hits, which was fab. I also got to delay going to a new school for another week, so that was fine by me.

1 ( 1 ) TWEEDLE DEE TWEEDLE DUM - Middle Of The Road
2 ( 2 ) I BELIEVE (IN LOVE) - Hot Chocolate
3 ( 4 ) NEVER ENDING SONG OF LOVE - The New Seekers
4 ( 11 ) NATHAN JONES - The Supremes
5 ( 10 ) DID YOU EVER - Nancy & Lee
6 ( 3 ) HEY GIRL DON’T BOTHER ME - The Tams
7 ( 13 ) COUSIN NORMAN - Marmalade
8 ( 5 ) I’M STILL WAITING - Diana Ross
9 ( 17 ) TAP TURNS ON THE WATER - C.C.S.
10 ( 6 ) IT’S TOO LATE - Carole King

11 ( 9 ) WHAT ARE YOU DOING SUNDAY? - Dawn
12 ( 16 ) FOR ALL WE KNOW - Shirley Bassey
13 ( 8 ) BACK STREET LUV - Curved Air
14 ( 12 ) SOLDIER BLUE - Buffy Sainte-Marie
15 ( 18 ) MAGGIE MAY - Rod Stewart\
16 ( 15 ) TOM TOM TURNAROUND - New World
17 ( NEW ) LIFE IS A LONG SONG - Jethro Tull
18 ( NEW ) YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE IN THE ARMY TO FIGHT IN THE WAR - Mungo Jerry

19 ( 20 ) YOU’VE GOT A FRIEND - James Taylor
20 ( 19 ) GET IT ON (BANG A GONG) - T.Rex

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 1st October 2021, 09:49 AM
Post #68
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

18th September 1971

It's up to the top spot for Donnie Elbert's fab cover of The Supremes' Where Did Our Love Go, as another mid-60's song is part of a double-A reissue for the Northern Soul market - but Run Baby Run was the side selling the disc, and giving The Newbeats a second (much better) hit in the UK 6 years after Bread And Butter. Not what you call a radio staple these days, it's all but been forgotten, I last caught it in the media on a Florida holiday as we walked round Old Town Kissimmee, they had 60's music pumped out on speakers in the street to promote the old vinyl records & souvenirs shop - the theme of the area was classic Americana of the 50's and 60's. Anyway, the song is a sort of template for the 1974 smash Sugar Baby Love, a romping, doowop, falsetto-dominated singalong that is way under-rated. I can see how dogs might start howling on hearing it. Tough!

The Elgins have a huge leap to 12 for a second top 20 in a row, and new in at 23 it's the brilliant John "James Bond music" Barry and his theme to the new ITV show starring future Bond Roger Moore and Tony Curtis. The theme was the best thing about the show, though they had great banter between the stars. John Barry has topped my Retro-chart 4 years earlier as the co-writer and arranger of Nancy Sinatra's You Only Live Twice. In at 34, Melanie's most-famous song gives her another biggie as the whimsical Brand New Key arrives a couple of months early (like the Barry track) for the UK market, but all these records are out this week either in the UK or US.

Even earlier (in the UK) is Elvis' It's Only Love which didn't make the UK charts until 1980, a top 3, but it was a minor hit as follow-up to I'm Leavin' in the USA, new at 66. Roger Whittaker covers the Pop Tops Mamy Blue and gets the UK airplay, and Gene Pitney puts out a flop soul track that I've never heard before and has never popped up on his collection CD's, Run Run Roadrunner, and it's pretty good. The Isley Brothers cover Eric Burden & War's Spill The Wine, Layng Martine sounds like a pseudonym of Ray Stevens who was behind Rub It In, a song I've heard somewhere long ago and promptly forgot about, and Martha Reeves drops in with Bless You, one I knew and liked at the time.

That leaves Olivia Newton-John back for a 3rd chart appearance with the very-bluegrass-country-music Banks Of The Ohio which is actually a murder-ballad dating from the 19th Century and covered throughout the 20th century by many acts. Revamped by Marvin Welch & John Farrar, Livvie's Shadows (and current Marvin, Welch & Farrar) producers. John Farrar stuck with Livvie throughout her career, and wrote, ooh, You're The One That I Want and many of her big hits.

1 ( 3 ) WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO - Donnie Elbert # 1
2 ( 1 ) SIMPLE GAME - The Four Tops # 1
3 ( NEW ) RUN BABY RUN (BACK INTO MY ARMS) - The Newbeats # 3
4 ( 2 ) I BELIEVE (IN LOVE) - Hot Chocolate # 1
5 ( 4 ) GYPSIES, TRAMPS & THIEVES - Cher # 1
6 ( 9 ) IMAGINE - John Lennon # 6
7 ( 5 ) TAP TURNS ON THE WATER - C.C.S # 5
8 ( 6 ) HOCUS POCUS - Focus # 6
9 ( 8 ) THEME FROM SHAFT - Isaac Hayes # 1
10 ( 7 ) LET YOUR YEAH BE YEAH - The Pioneers # 3

11 ( 10 ) HAVE YOU SEEN HER - The Chi-Lites # 1
12 ( 45 ) PUT YOURSELF IN MY PLACE - The Elgins # 12
13 ( 13 ) GET IT ON (BANG A GONG) - T.Rex # 1
14 ( 14 ) SURRENDER - Diana Ross # 1
15 ( 15 ) THE NIGHT THEY DROVE OLD DIXIE DOWN - Joan Baez # 2
16 ( 11 ) SULTANA - Titanic # 5
17 ( 18 ) KEEP ON DANCING - Bay City Rollers # 17
18 ( 17 ) I’M STILL WAITING - Diana Ross # 5
19 ( 26 ) COUSIN NORMAN - Marmalade # 19
20 ( 19 ) TAKE ME GIRL I’M READY - Junior Walker & The All Stars # 5

21 ( 16 ) BUTTERFLY (UK/AUSTRALIAN 7” VERSION) - Danyel Gerard # 16
22 ( 27 ) FREEDOM COME, FREEDOM GO - The Fortunes # 22
23 ( NEW ) THEME FROM “THE PERSUADERS” - John Barry # 23
24 ( 12 ) LET MY NAME BE SORROW - Mary Hopkin # 12
25 ( 23 ) HOW CAN YOU MEND A BROKEN HEART - The Bee Gees # 1
26 ( 24 ) MERCY MERCY ME (THE ECOLOGY) - Marvin Gaye # 1
27 ( 22 ) HEY GIRL DON’T BOTHER ME - The Tams # 6
28 ( 20 ) DAY BY DAY (GODSPELL MEDLEY) - Holly Sherwood # 8
29 ( 25 ) SOME OF SHELLY’S BLUES - The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band # 25
30 ( 28 ) UNCLE ALBERT/ADMIRAL HALSEY - Paul & Linda McCartney # 1

31 ( 35 ) SWEET CITY WOMAN - The Stampeders # 31
32 ( 29 ) AIN’T NO SUNSHINE - Bill Withers # 1
33 ( 21 ) GO AWAY LITTLE GIRL - Donny Osmond # 12
34 ( NEW ) BRAND NEW KEY - Melanie # 34
35 ( 30 ) FOR ALL WE KNOW - Shirley Bassey # 9
36 ( 32 ) THE WITCH QUEEN OF NEW ORLEANS - Redbone # 5
37 ( 33 ) TOM TOM TURNAROUND - New World # 8
38 ( 43 ) THIN LINE BETWEEN LOVE AND HATE - The Persuaders # 38
39 ( 34 ) SPANISH HARLEM - Aretha Franklin # 10
40 ( 46 ) LADY LUV BUG - Clodagh Rodgers # 40

41 ( 38 ) BLACK AND WHITE - Greyhound # 1
42 ( 37 ) TWEEDLE DEE TWEEDLE DUM - Middle Of The Road # 9
43 ( 31 ) FIREBALL - Deep Purple # 20
44 ( 52 ) MAMY BLUE - Pop Tops # 44
45 ( 53 ) LIFE IS A LONG SONG - Jethro Tull # 45
46 ( 42 ) NEVER ENDING SONG OF LOVE - The New Seekers # 8
47 ( 47 ) ANOTHER TIME ANOTHER PLACE - Engelbert Humperdinck # 47
48 ( 44 ) SUPERSTAR - Carpenters # 1
49 ( 41 ) MONKEY SPANNER - Dave & Ansel Collins # 10
50 ( 39 ) WHAT ARE YOU DOING SUNDAY - Dawn featuring Tony Orlando # 19

51 ( 48 ) NATHAN JONES - The Supremes # 1
52 ( 56 ) MY LITTLE GIRL - Autumn # 52
53 ( 49 ) BIRDS OF A FEATHER - The Raiders # 10
54 ( 50 ) MAGGIE MAY - Rod Stewart # 4
55 ( 59 ) WORKING ON A BUILDING OF LOVE - Chairmen Of The Board # 55
56 ( 65 ) LOOK AROUND (AND YOU’LL FIND ME THERE) - Vince Hill # 56
57 ( 55 ) HOT LOVE - T.Rex # 1
58 ( 66 ) YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE IN THE ARMY TO FIGHT IN THE WAR - Mungo Jerry # 58
59 ( 54 ) SURF’S UP - The Beach Boys # 54
60 ( 68 ) JEALOUS GUY - John Lennon # 60

61 ( 57 ) I’M GONNA RUN AWAY FROM YOU - Tami Lynn # 1
62 ( 58 ) HERE COMES THAT RAINY DAY FEELING AGAIN - The Fortunes # 1
63 ( 69 ) RESPECT YOURSELF - The Staple Singers # 63
64 ( 62 ) WHAT’S GOING ON? - Marvin Gaye # 1
65 ( 63 ) ANOTHER DAY - Paul McCartney # 1
66 ( NEW ) IT’S ONLY LOVE - Elvis Presley # 66
67 ( NEW ) MAMY BLUE - Roger Whittaker # 67

68 ( 72 ) I’M A SONG (SING ME) - Neil Sedaka # 68
69 ( NEW ) RUN RUN ROADRUNNER - Gene Pitney # 69
70 ( NEW ) BANKS OF THE OHIO - Olivia Newton-John # 70

71 ( 51 ) I’M LEAVIN’ - Elvis Presley # 14
72 ( 75 ) SUPERBIRD - Neil Sedaka # 72
73 ( NEW ) BLESS YOU - Martha Reeves & The Vandellas # 73
74 ( NEW ) RUB IT IN - Layng Martine # 74
75 ( NEW ) SPILL THE WINE - The Isley Brothers # 75

21st September 1971

It's 3 weeks on top for The Tweedles Dee & Dum as we moved from grandma & grandad's house to Auntie Eileen & Uncle Tony's house at RAF Swinderby while we waited for a house to become vacant on camp. Eileen was dad's sister, and Tony was his mate who he introduced to his sister when we lived at RAF Swinderby in 1968/9, and baby Rachel had arrived on 5th September, we'd seen her for the first time the week before as we all visited Great Aunty Ann & Great Uncle Ernest, and Great Grandma in Mansfield.

Marmalade keep the run of top 5's extended to over 2 years, C.C.S. grab a first top 5, and Mungo Jerry make it a 4th top 10 in a row. New entries from The Fortunes with Freedom Come Freedom Go, I don't think I'd twigged they were the same band who did You've Got Your Troubles, a much-loved 60's song, yet. From France, Danyel Gerard had the global singalong anthem Butterfly finally making inroads into the UK market 2 years after it first came out, and after multiple foreign-language versions and re-recorded versions, Danyel working hard at appealing everywhere! This version was made for the Australian market following a cover version that was more singalong, so Danyel fairly covered the cover version of his own track.

3 ( 3 ) NEVER ENDING SONG OF LOVE - The New Seekers
4 ( 7 ) COUSIN NORMAN - Marmalade
5 ( 9 ) TAP TURNS ON THE WATER - C.C.S.
6 ( 6 ) HEY GIRL DON’T BOTHER ME - The Tams
7 ( 4 ) NATHAN JONES - The Supremes
8 ( 5 ) DID YOU EVER - Nancy & Lee
9 ( 8 ) I’M STILL WAITING - Diana Ross
10 ( 18 ) YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE IN THE ARMY TO FIGHT IN THE WAR - Mungo Jerry

11 ( 11 ) WHAT ARE YOU DOING SUNDAY? - Dawn
12 ( 15 ) MAGGIE MAY - Rod Stewart
13 ( 10 ) IT’S TOO LATE - Carole King
14 ( 14 ) SOLDIER BLUE - Buffy Sainte-Marie
15 ( 17 ) LIFE IS A LONG SONG - Jethro Tull
16 ( 13 ) BACK STREET LUV - Curved Air
17 ( NEW ) FREEDOM COME FREEDOM GO - The Fortunes
18 ( 12 ) FOR ALL WE KNOW - Shirley Bassey
19 ( 19 ) YOU’VE GOT A FRIEND - James Taylor
20 ( NEW ) BUTTERFLY - Danyel Gerard

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 1st October 2021, 09:36 PM
Post #69
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

Great to see ‘Imagine’ entering the top 10 first time round for John Lennon!

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 8th October 2021, 01:34 PM
Post #70
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(steve201 @ Oct 1 2021, 10:36 PM) *
Great to see ‘Imagine’ entering the top 10 first time round for John Lennon!

And bizarrely, as it wasn't a single in the UK, I was more or less oblivious of its existence in 1971!

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 8th October 2021, 02:02 PM
Post #71
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

25th September 1971

It's first week on top for 60's doo-woppers The Newbeats, and their oldie Run Baby Run, cos I still love it. Northern Soul. That keeps T.Rex off the top for now, as album track Jeepster is new at 2 - off Marc Bolan's new album Electric Warrior, which I have on vinyl and still rate, witness the batch of tracks entering lower in the chart. Jeepster was never supposed to be a single, but Fly Records released it anyway (and quite right too, when I first heard that pounding beat I thought it was epic!) while Marc was setting up his own EMI label. technically then, T.Rex had 4 UK number one's in a row, because Jeepster wasn't official (it peaked at 2). It's bound to be 4th chart-topper next week though, here.

New at 9, the wonderful Brandy from Scott English, I love his song and his quirky singing style. I don't love that he's been forgotten and the bland cover version from Barry Manilow is the famous version (aka Mandy) and the much worse cover of the cover from Westlife topped the UK charts. No justice! The Sweet get a 3rd chart hit with Alexander Graham Bell, which I liked after seeing it on Top Of The Pops this coming week. Popping in, Lifestyle Advice Coach Les Crane and his OTT Desiderata - very earnest, but it's hard to argue with most of the sentiment and the backing gospel singers.

1 ( 3 ) RUN BABY RUN (BACK INTO MY ARMS) - The Newbeats # 1
2 ( NEW ) JEEPSTER - T.Rex # 2
3 ( 1 ) WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO - Donnie Elbert # 1
4 ( 2 ) SIMPLE GAME - The Four Tops # 1
5 ( 6 ) IMAGINE - John Lennon # 5
6 ( 4 ) I BELIEVE (IN LOVE) - Hot Chocolate # 1
7 ( 5 ) GYPSIES, TRAMPS & THIEVES - Cher # 1
8 ( 7 ) TAP TURNS ON THE WATER - C.C.S # 5
9 ( NEW ) BRANDY - Scott English # 9
10 ( 12 ) PUT YOURSELF IN MY PLACE - The Elgins # 10

11 ( 9 ) THEME FROM SHAFT - Isaac Hayes # 1
12 ( 11 ) HAVE YOU SEEN HER - The Chi-Lites # 1
13 ( 8 ) HOCUS POCUS - Focus # 6
14 ( 21 ) BUTTERFLY (UK/AUSTRALIAN 7” VERSION) - Danyel Gerard # 14
15 ( 13 ) GET IT ON (BANG A GONG) - T.Rex # 1
16 ( 10 ) LET YOUR YEAH BE YEAH - The Pioneers # 3
17 ( 23 ) THEME FROM “THE PERSUADERS” - John Barry # 17
18 ( 14 ) SURRENDER - Diana Ross # 1
19 ( 15 ) THE NIGHT THEY DROVE OLD DIXIE DOWN - Joan Baez # 2
20 ( 16 ) SULTANA - Titanic # 5

21 ( 18 ) I’M STILL WAITING - Diana Ross # 5
22 ( 22 ) FREEDOM COME, FREEDOM GO - The Fortunes # 22
23 ( 17 ) KEEP ON DANCING - Bay City Rollers # 17
24 ( 19 ) COUSIN NORMAN - Marmalade # 19
25 ( 20 ) TAKE ME GIRL I’M READY - Junior Walker & The All Stars # 5
26 ( 34 ) BRAND NEW KEY - Melanie # 26
27 ( 31 ) SWEET CITY WOMAN - The Stampeders # 27
28 ( 25 ) HOW CAN YOU MEND A BROKEN HEART - The Bee Gees # 1
29 ( 26 ) MERCY MERCY ME (THE ECOLOGY) - Marvin Gaye # 1
30 ( 44 ) MAMY BLUE - Pop Tops # 30

31 ( 27 ) HEY GIRL DON’T BOTHER ME - The Tams # 6
32 ( 30 ) UNCLE ALBERT/ADMIRAL HALSEY - Paul & Linda McCartney # 1
33 ( 32 ) AIN’T NO SUNSHINE - Bill Withers # 1
34 ( 28 ) DAY BY DAY (GODSPELL MEDLEY) - Holly Sherwood # 8
35 ( 40 ) LADY LUV BUG - Clodagh Rodgers # 35
36 ( 24 ) LET MY NAME BE SORROW - Mary Hopkin # 12
37 ( 36 ) THE WITCH QUEEN OF NEW ORLEANS - Redbone # 5
38 ( 35 ) FOR ALL WE KNOW - Shirley Bassey # 9
39 ( 37 ) TOM TOM TURNAROUND - New World # 8
40 ( 45 ) LIFE IS A LONG SONG - Jethro Tull # 40

41 ( 39 ) SPANISH HARLEM - Aretha Franklin # 10
42 ( 56 ) LOOK AROUND (AND YOU’LL FIND ME THERE) - Vince Hill # 42
43 ( 41 ) BLACK AND WHITE - Greyhound # 1
44 ( 29 ) SOME OF SHELLY’S BLUES - The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band # 25
45 ( 58 ) YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE IN THE ARMY TO FIGHT IN THE WAR - Mungo Jerry # 45
46 ( 52 ) MY LITTLE GIRL - Autumn # 46
47 ( 46 ) NEVER ENDING SONG OF LOVE - The New Seekers # 8
48 ( 42 ) TWEEDLE DEE TWEEDLE DUM - Middle Of The Road # 9
49 ( 60 ) JEALOUS GUY - John Lennon # 49
50 ( 69 ) RUN RUN ROADRUNNER - Gene Pitney # 50

51 ( NEW ) ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL - The Sweet # 51
52 ( 63 ) RESPECT YOURSELF - The Staple Singers # 52
53 ( 48 ) SUPERSTAR - Carpenters # 1
54 ( 55 ) WORKING ON A BUILDING OF LOVE - Chairmen Of The Board # 54
55 ( 51 ) NATHAN JONES - The Supremes # 1
56 ( 33 ) GO AWAY LITTLE GIRL - Donny Osmond # 12
57 ( 66 ) IT’S ONLY LOVE - Elvis Presley # 57
58 ( 57 ) HOT LOVE - T.Rex # 1
59 ( 54 ) MAGGIE MAY - Rod Stewart # 4
60 ( 53 ) BIRDS OF A FEATHER - The Raiders # 10

61 ( 49 ) MONKEY SPANNER - Dave & Ansel Collins # 10
62 ( 67 ) MAMY BLUE - Roger Whittaker # 62
63 ( 72 ) SUPERBIRD - Neil Sedaka # 63
64 ( 70 ) BANKS OF THE OHIO - Olivia Newton-John # 64
65 ( 38 ) THIN LINE BETWEEN LOVE AND HATE - The Persuaders # 38
66 ( NEW ) COSMIC DANCER - T.Rex # 66
67 ( NEW ) DESIDERATA - Les Crane # 67

68 ( 68 ) I’M A SONG (SING ME) - Neil Sedaka # 68
69 ( 64 ) WHAT’S GOING ON? - Marvin Gaye # 1
70 ( 65 ) ANOTHER DAY - Paul McCartney # 1

71 ( 75 ) SPILL THE WINE - The Isley Brothers # 71
72 ( NEW ) RIP OFF - T.Rex # 72
73 ( 73 ) BLESS YOU - Martha Reeves & The Vandellas # 73
74 ( NEW ) LIFE’S A GAS - T.Rex # 74
75 ( NEW ) MAMBO SUN - T.Rex # 75

Wot I liked then 28th September 1971

It's 4 weeks on top for Middle Of The Road as we got prepared to move into 8 Sheepwalk, RAF Swinderby, directly opposite 3 Sheepwalk where we lived before going to Singapore, and I was reacquainted with friend Graham a couple of doors down at number 7 who was still there. Meanwhile Danyel Gerard brought his monster world hit Butterfly into the top 10, albeit in English translation from French, but with the nice accent still. The Fortunes get a first top 10, and a new entry at 14 from The Four Tops, Simple Game a dramatic force, and cover The Moody Blues, both bands I knew as a kid and both I hadn't been aware of new material from for a few years.

Native American band Redbone bring some welcome Swamp Rock into the chart with the fab Witch Queen Of New Orleans, and debuting with a 60's cover are Bay City Rollers, a Scottish band in the bubblegum teen market, and a record I bought over Xmas/New Year, quite boppy and catchy. It wouldn't be the last Rollers record I bought, but there would be none bought once they changed lead vocalist in late 1973 and became a pre-teeny-bop sensation. I liked the early (flop) stuff, sorry! Titanic also debut with their sole hit, a sort of Santana-styled instrumental fabness, Sultana.

I know our stuff from Singapore hadn't arrived yet cos I hadn't started writing charts in my notebooks (BBC and my own) yet, but that was coming. But I think our stuff came out of storage where we'd left it 2 years before, so that mean the black & white TV, radio, my books and my beloved handful of DC comics. Especially Adventure Comics 367, the first Legion Of Super-Heroes (and Superboy) comic I bought. They are about to go through a zillionth reboot in comics, pop up in Supergirl, DC animation movies & TV shows, and I still belong to a (very mature-aged) fanzine as the super-group head towards 65 years old.

3 ( 3 ) NEVER ENDING SONG OF LOVE - The New Seekers
4 ( 6 ) HEY GIRL DON’T BOTHER ME - The Tams
5 ( 20 ) BUTTERFLY - Danyel Gerard
6 ( 17 ) FREEDOM COME FREEDOM GO - The Fortunes
7 ( 4 ) COUSIN NORMAN - Marmalade
8 ( 9 ) I’M STILL WAITING - Diana Ross
9 ( 8 ) DID YOU EVER - Nancy & Lee
10 ( 5 ) TAP TURNS ON THE WATER - C.C.S.

11 ( 7 ) NATHAN JONES - The Supremes
12 ( 11 ) WHAT ARE YOU DOING SUNDAY? - Dawn
13 ( 14 ) SOLDIER BLUE - Buffy Sainte-Marie
14 ( NEW ) SIMPLE GAME - The Four Tops
15 ( 12 ) MAGGIE MAY - Rod Stewart
16 ( 10 ) YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE IN THE ARMY TO FIGHT IN THE WAR - Mungo Jerry
17 ( NEW ) WITCH QUEEN OF NEW ORLEANS - Redbone
18 ( 13 ) IT’S TOO LATE - Carole King
19 ( NEW ) KEEP ON DANCING - Bay City Rollers
20 ( NEW ) SULTANA - Titanic

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 16th October 2021, 11:07 AM
Post #72
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

2nd October 1971

It's a first week on top for Jeepster, giving T.Rex 4 in a row on top, a consistency no other act can match in the early 70's so far (unless you count McCartney/Beatles as one act) - plus they have 4 more album tracks on the chart. There is also 3 brand new entries straight into the top 10 this week, headed by Rod Argent and his Russ Ballard included new band Argent - ex-Zombies, I saw Rod & Colin Blunstone do Zombies, Argent and solo Blunstone hits a few years back and SO nostalgic it was too. Hold Your Head Up was plugged heavily on Alan Freeman's Rock show just before the chart rundown each Sunday, and I instantly loved and recorded Hold Your Head Up - and then had to wait almost 6 months for it to chart! For me it's October 1971 not 1972.

In at 9 it's another Bread ballad classic, Baby I'm A Want You was kinda understated when it charted in the UK early 1972, as Bread finally got that follow-up hit to Make It With You, but it's the 5th to chart in this retro rundown and it's still gorgeously under-stated and lovely. At 10, a record I bought in Feb 1972 - I'd gone to the Rediffusion shop in Lincoln to buy Donnie Elbert's Where Did Our Love Go, but they didn't have it in stock, so I popped into Woolworths and noticed All I Ever Need Is You had I Got You Babe on the B-side, so that gave it an edge over Donnie, I'm afraid, for my 50pence. Turns out it was a live version and I was a bit miffed about that, but happily I still loved the A side, All I Ever Need Is You giving Sonny & Cher a chart return after almost 5 years away then and in the retro countdown, thanks to Cher's solo revival and their huge USA TV show.

New at 51, and not a song I knew at the time, but The Pearls did a nice cover in 1973 and then Marvin Gaye & Diana Ross did an emotive hit version in 1974, by which time The Stylistics were on a roll in the UK. You Are Everything is pretty lush and classy, as all their early hits were. At 53, Tom Jones is back with a massive ballad, Till an old song from the 50's that had been tackled by many with big voices - but none as big as Jones The Voice hitting that final note with ease. I think it's his final great record before the Las Vegas years churned out lesser material as an occasional diversion. At 59, theme to TV show Follyfoot, beloved of kids in 1971, The Settlers' The Lightning Tree was jolly & moody, both, and like the record adjacent is based on an ancient folk song from previous centuries - not that any of us knew that at the time or for 50 years or so, when the huge hit sea shanty Wellerman was revived by Nathan Evans and the hook similarities became obvious (to those of us old enough to remember Follyfoot).

The Move also pop in with Chinatown, which I remember seeing on Top Of The Pops, and also recorded off the chart show. I loved the Chinatown theme to the song, being as I was back from Singapore and was already nostalgic for anything Chinese-related (or Malay or Indian). Others: a Bee Gees follow-up I've never heard, but is good, ditto The Chi-Lites track entering; John Stewart does his own version of his hit Monkees song, his Daydream Believer is more acoustic and naughty and playful. Nick Drake is back with another wistful gem, Ike & Tina are still putting out good singles, The Kinks drop by with a track I also don't know, but is quite sweet, and a debut from Five man Electrical Band with a good rockpop tune.

1 ( 2 ) JEEPSTER - T.Rex # 1
2 ( 1 ) RUN BABY RUN (BACK INTO MY ARMS) - The Newbeats # 1
3 ( 4 ) SIMPLE GAME - The Four Tops # 1
4 ( 5 ) IMAGINE - John Lennon # 4
5 ( 9 ) BRANDY - Scott English # 5
6 ( 3 ) WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO - Donnie Elbert # 1
7 ( 6 ) I BELIEVE (IN LOVE) - Hot Chocolate # 1
8 ( NEW ) HOLD YOUR HEAD UP - Argent # 8
9 ( NEW ) BABY I’M A WANT YOU - Bread # 9
10 ( NEW ) ALL I EVER NEED IS YOU - Sonny & Cher # 10

11 ( 7 ) GYPSIES, TRAMPS & THIEVES - Cher # 1
12 ( 8 ) TAP TURNS ON THE WATER - C.C.S # 5
13 ( 11 ) THEME FROM SHAFT - Isaac Hayes # 1
14 ( 12 ) HAVE YOU SEEN HER - The Chi-Lites # 1
15 ( 10 ) PUT YOURSELF IN MY PLACE - The Elgins # 10
16 ( 15 ) GET IT ON (BANG A GONG) - T.Rex # 1
17 ( 17 ) THEME FROM “THE PERSUADERS” - John Barry # 17
18 ( 14 ) BUTTERFLY (UK/AUSTRALIAN 7” VERSION) - Danyel Gerard # 14
19 ( 13 ) HOCUS POCUS - Focus # 6
20 ( 18 ) SURRENDER - Diana Ross # 1

21 ( 19 ) THE NIGHT THEY DROVE OLD DIXIE DOWN - Joan Baez # 2
22 ( 21 ) I’M STILL WAITING - Diana Ross # 5
23 ( 26 ) BRAND NEW KEY - Melanie # 23
24 ( 23 ) KEEP ON DANCING - Bay City Rollers # 17
25 ( 16 ) LET YOUR YEAH BE YEAH - The Pioneers # 3
26 ( 27 ) SWEET CITY WOMAN - The Stampeders # 26
27 ( 20 ) SULTANA - Titanic # 5
28 ( 25 ) TAKE ME GIRL I’M READY - Junior Walker & The All Stars # 5
29 ( 22 ) FREEDOM COME, FREEDOM GO - The Fortunes # 22
30 ( 28 ) HOW CAN YOU MEND A BROKEN HEART - The Bee Gees # 1

31 ( 29 ) MERCY MERCY ME (THE ECOLOGY) - Marvin Gaye # 1
32 ( 31 ) HEY GIRL DON’T BOTHER ME - The Tams # 6
33 ( 35 ) LADY LUV BUG - Clodagh Rodgers # 33
34 ( 32 ) UNCLE ALBERT/ADMIRAL HALSEY - Paul & Linda McCartney # 1
35 ( 40 ) LIFE IS A LONG SONG - Jethro Tull # 35
36 ( 42 ) LOOK AROUND (AND YOU’LL FIND ME THERE) - Vince Hill # 36
37 ( 24 ) COUSIN NORMAN - Marmalade # 19
38 ( 38 ) FOR ALL WE KNOW - Shirley Bassey # 9
39 ( 33 ) AIN’T NO SUNSHINE - Bill Withers # 1
40 ( 49 ) JEALOUS GUY - John Lennon # 40

41 ( 50 ) RUN RUN ROADRUNNER - Gene Pitney # 41
42 ( 37 ) THE WITCH QUEEN OF NEW ORLEANS - Redbone # 5
43 ( 51 ) ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL - The Sweet # 43
44 ( 45 ) YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE IN THE ARMY TO FIGHT IN THE WAR - Mungo Jerry # 44
45 ( 46 ) MY LITTLE GIRL - Autumn # 45
46 ( 39 ) TOM TOM TURNAROUND - New World # 8
47 ( 41 ) SPANISH HARLEM - Aretha Franklin # 10
48 ( 52 ) RESPECT YOURSELF - The Staple Singers # 48
49 ( 43 ) BLACK AND WHITE - Greyhound # 1
50 ( 63 ) SUPERBIRD - Neil Sedaka # 50

51 ( NEW ) YOU ARE EVERYTHING - The Stylistics # 51
52 ( 54 ) WORKING ON A BUILDING OF LOVE - Chairmen Of The Board # 52
53 ( 47 ) NEVER ENDING SONG OF LOVE - The New Seekers # 8
54 ( NEW ) TILL - Tom Jones # 54
55 ( 30 ) MAMY BLUE - Pop Tops # 30
56 ( 57 ) IT’S ONLY LOVE - Elvis Presley # 56
57 ( 53 ) SUPERSTAR - Carpenters # 1
58 ( 64 ) BANKS OF THE OHIO - Olivia Newton-John # 58
59 ( NEW ) THE LIGHTNING TREE - The Settlers # 59
60 ( 62 ) MAMY BLUE - Roger Whittaker # 60

61 ( 55 ) NATHAN JONES - The Supremes # 1
62 ( 58 ) HOT LOVE - T.Rex # 1
63 ( 67 ) DESIDERATA - Les Crane # 63
64 ( 66 ) COSMIC DANCER - T.Rex # 64
65 ( 48 ) TWEEDLE DEE TWEEDLE DUM - Middle Of The Road # 9
66 ( 68 ) I’M A SONG (SING ME) - Neil Sedaka # 66
67 ( 72 ) RIP OFF - T.Rex # 67
68 ( 34 ) DAY BY DAY (GODSPELL MEDLEY) - Holly Sherwood # 8
69 ( NEW ) CHINATOWN - The Move # 69
70 ( 71 ) SPILL THE WINE - The Isley Brothers # 70

71 ( 74 ) LIFE’S A GAS - T.Rex # 71
72 ( 75 ) MAMBO SUN - T.Rex # 72
73 ( 73 ) BLESS YOU - Martha Reeves & The Vandellas # 73
74 ( NEW ) DON’T WANNA LIVE INSIDE MYSELF - The Bee Gees # 74
75 ( NEW ) I WANT TO PAY YOU BACK (FOR LOVING ME) - The Chi-Lites # 75
76 ( NEW ) DAYDREAM BELIEVER - John Stewart # 76
77 ( NEW ) NORTHERN SKY - Nick Drake # 77
78 ( NEW ) I’M YOURS (USE ME ANYWAY YOU WANNA) - Ike & Tina Turner # 78
79 ( NEW ) ABSOLUTELY RIGHT - Five Man Electrical Band # 79
80 ( NEW ) THE WAY LOVE USED TO BE - The Kinks # 80

5th October 1971 Wot I Liked Then..

It's 5 weeks on top for the Tweedles as Redbone rise to 4 with the Witch Queen Of New Orleans. Still hoping Guardians Of The Galaxy use that one in Volume 3 after the wonderful Come And Get Your Love was rescued from obscurity in the opening scenes of Vol 1 for grown-up Chris Pratt. Titanic and The Four Tops also go top 10, as Aretha leapfrogs both entering at 6 with her uptempo funk rendition of Spanish Harlem, as good as the Ben E. King original in its own way. New at 19 Joan Baez covers The Band's Night They Drove Old Dixie Down and does a wonderful job totally ignoring gender changes in the lyrics, and injecting emotion. I bought this single in an oldies rack in a department store in California in 1979. The novelty of back catalogue classic vinyl singles wasn't something I'd come across in the UK, so I was quite over-excited to buy this record (and a few others).

Back in the UK in Lincoln, it was time to start school again. I had to wear long-trousers and a blazer and a tie, none of which I'd had to wear before, and had no idea of the notion of "trying to look cool" - that didn't exist in Singapore, everyone looked exactly the same. So consequently I had my blazer buttoned up and looked like a geek, I found out quickly. First impressions count, so that was my life ruined for the next 2 years, as I was thrown to the bullying wolves. I had to sit and take a test in the hall to see where they were going to squeeze me, classroom regards. My brother was in the old Secondary Modern (Robert Pattinson Comprehensive) across the road in his first year, while I was 3rd year in the old Grammar School, North Kesteven Comprehensive - still streaming pre-Comprehensive kids, apparently. Not that it made any difference. I bumped into Wendy, also fresh from Changi Grammar, so that was quite nice to see, and she was in a good class - sadly when they asked if I knew anyone I mentioned Graham, my old friend, and I got bunged into that group, which turned out to be The Nightmare From Hell.

One kid, Neil, was already held back a year so he could torment younger kids and destroy all classroom order, and make young teachers lives a living hell with his bad influence on the thickies and the intelligent should-know-betters who joined in to avoid becoming a target. The rest of us tried to make it through the day alive. Teachers were largely oblivious to our misery, and it wasn't just me that got picked on. Consequently my achievement-levels at school plummeted as they dragged me down to the level of the group, and the aim was not to stand out as a target by coming top at anything. As Wendy later commented, "You used to be a brainbox at Changi!". Which I was. That was a great school. This was a sh*t one, useless at noticing kids getting bullied, no idea about keeping order, and oblivious to the needs of individual children, especially the quiet ones. Forces kids were always a bit "second-class" citizens in having to catch up with syllabuses all the time, and not being part of peer groups, but I don't remember any attempts to try and help us in any way. Graham, by the way, was a complete waste of time during school hours, sucking up to the bullies and turning on me by disassociation so he didn't get tarred with the same brush. Human nature in a nutshell. Mixed ability classes are a terrible idea, less smart kids don't rise to the level of the smartest, the opposite happens in reality. When you are streamed and can improve and change to higher classes (like in Singapore) I reacted by doing well. I could write a novel of anecdotes of 2 years of misery, but I'll spare depressing anyone reading this far further....!

2 ( 3 ) NEVER ENDING SONG OF LOVE - The New Seekers
3 ( 2 ) I BELIEVE (IN LOVE) - Hot Chocolate
4 ( 17 ) WITCH QUEEN OF NEW ORLEANS - Redbone
5 ( 4 ) HEY GIRL DON’T BOTHER ME - The Tams
6 ( NEW ) SPANISH HARLEM - Aretha Franklin
7 ( 20 ) SULTANA - Titanic
8 ( 8 ) I’M STILL WAITING - Diana Ross
9 ( 14 ) SIMPLE GAME - The Four Tops
10 ( 5 ) BUTTERFLY - Danyel Gerard

11 ( 11 ) NATHAN JONES - The Supremes
12 ( 6 ) FREEDOM COME FREEDOM GO - The Fortunes
13 ( 7 ) COUSIN NORMAN - Marmalade
14 ( 9 ) DID YOU EVER - Nancy & Lee
15 ( 13 ) SOLDIER BLUE - Buffy Sainte-Marie
16 ( 19 ) KEEP ON DANCING - Bay City Rollers
17 ( 10 ) TAP TURNS ON THE WATER - C.C.S.
18 ( 15 ) MAGGIE MAY - Rod Stewart
19 ( NEW ) THE NIGHT THEY DROVE OLD DIXIE DOWN - Joan Baez
20 ( 18 ) IT’S TOO LATE - Carole King

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 22nd October 2021, 01:11 PM
Post #73
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

9th October 1971

It's the coming of the second great Glam Rock band as Slade announce their big-time with a bang, Coz I Luv You in at 1, showing their rebellious side with the mis-spelling to annoy older folk, and creating a stomping, menacing, violin-led, John Lennon-sounding new sound - they weren't into the glitter at this stage, but the haircuts favoured by boys at school shortly were on display - the feather cut long-hair, no more skinhead-look for former Ambrose Slade, now on their 3rd chart hit here. That puts T.Rex at 2, which is the reverse of my actual charts of the time where Slade criminally peaked at 2.

Argent are up to 4, melanie makes the top 20 again, and The Sweet, Gene Pitney and The Stylistics all return to the top 40 with their latest tracks, Gene obviously having had the most previous top 40's. In a quiet week for new entries (they are coming next week) Springwater enters at 49 with I Will Return, a fab rock instrumental that has been forgotten about - Springwater is Phil Cordell, active on the 60's and 70' music scene, but only one hit to his name - though Dan The Banjo Man in 1973 would make my charts, and top the German chart. At the bottom end, The Who pop in with Let's See Action, one I wasn't too fussed about the time - it certainly was no Pinball Wizard or My Generation! Just behind, The New Seekers were big in my affections, and I liked Good Old Fashioned Music - but it also wasn't a patch on previous singles, and hasn't dated as well. They were rewarded with a flop in between two huge hits.

1 ( NEW ) COZ I LUV YOU - Slade # 1
2 ( 1 ) JEEPSTER - T.Rex # 1
3 ( 3 ) SIMPLE GAME - The Four Tops # 1
4 ( 8 ) HOLD YOUR HEAD UP - Argent # 4
5 ( 5 ) BRANDY - Scott English # 5
6 ( 2 ) RUN BABY RUN (BACK INTO MY ARMS) - The Newbeats # 1
7 ( 4 ) IMAGINE - John Lennon # 4
8 ( 9 ) BABY I’M A WANT YOU - Bread # 8
9 ( 10 ) ALL I EVER NEED IS YOU - Sonny & Cher # 9
10 ( 7 ) I BELIEVE (IN LOVE) - Hot Chocolate # 1

11 ( 6 ) WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO - Donnie Elbert # 1
12 ( 17 ) THEME FROM “THE PERSUADERS” - John Barry # 12
13 ( 11 ) GYPSIES, TRAMPS & THIEVES - Cher # 1
14 ( 13 ) THEME FROM SHAFT - Isaac Hayes # 1
15 ( 12 ) TAP TURNS ON THE WATER - C.C.S # 5
16 ( 14 ) HAVE YOU SEEN HER - The Chi-Lites # 1
17 ( 15 ) PUT YOURSELF IN MY PLACE - The Elgins # 10
18 ( 16 ) GET IT ON (BANG A GONG) - T.Rex # 1
19 ( 23 ) BRAND NEW KEY - Melanie # 19
20 ( 24 ) KEEP ON DANCING - Bay City Rollers # 17

21 ( 18 ) BUTTERFLY (UK/AUSTRALIAN 7” VERSION) - Danyel Gerard # 14
22 ( 20 ) SURRENDER - Diana Ross # 1
23 ( 21 ) THE NIGHT THEY DROVE OLD DIXIE DOWN - Joan Baez # 2
24 ( 26 ) SWEET CITY WOMAN - The Stampeders # 24
25 ( 19 ) HOCUS POCUS - Focus # 6
26 ( 22 ) I’M STILL WAITING - Diana Ross # 5
27 ( 33 ) LADY LUV BUG - Clodagh Rodgers # 27
28 ( 35 ) LIFE IS A LONG SONG - Jethro Tull # 28
29 ( 36 ) LOOK AROUND (AND YOU’LL FIND ME THERE) - Vince Hill # 29
30 ( 25 ) LET YOUR YEAH BE YEAH - The Pioneers # 3

31 ( 28 ) TAKE ME GIRL I’M READY - Junior Walker & The All Stars # 5
32 ( 27 ) SULTANA - Titanic # 5
33 ( 30 ) HOW CAN YOU MEND A BROKEN HEART - The Bee Gees # 1
34 ( 31 ) MERCY MERCY ME (THE ECOLOGY) - Marvin Gaye # 1
35 ( 32 ) HEY GIRL DON’T BOTHER ME - The Tams # 6
36 ( 40 ) JEALOUS GUY - John Lennon # 36
37 ( 34 ) UNCLE ALBERT/ADMIRAL HALSEY - Paul & Linda McCartney # 1
38 ( 43 ) ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL - The Sweet # 38
39 ( 41 ) RUN RUN ROADRUNNER - Gene Pitney # 39
40 ( 51 ) YOU ARE EVERYTHING - The Stylistics # 40

41 ( 39 ) AIN’T NO SUNSHINE - Bill Withers # 1
42 ( 38 ) FOR ALL WE KNOW - Shirley Bassey # 9
43 ( 54 ) TILL - Tom Jones # 43
44 ( 48 ) RESPECT YOURSELF - The Staple Singers # 44
45 ( 29 ) FREEDOM COME, FREEDOM GO - The Fortunes # 22
46 ( 37 ) COUSIN NORMAN - Marmalade # 19
47 ( 50 ) SUPERBIRD - Neil Sedaka # 47
48 ( 42 ) THE WITCH QUEEN OF NEW ORLEANS - Redbone # 5
49 ( NEW ) I WILL RETURN - Springwater # 49
50 ( 46 ) TOM TOM TURNAROUND - New World # 8

51 ( 52 ) WORKING ON A BUILDING OF LOVE - Chairmen Of The Board # 51
52 ( 47 ) SPANISH HARLEM - Aretha Franklin # 10
53 ( 49 ) BLACK AND WHITE - Greyhound # 1
54 ( 59 ) THE LIGHTNING TREE - The Settlers # 54
55 ( 60 ) MAMY BLUE - Roger Whittaker # 55
56 ( 56 ) IT’S ONLY LOVE - Elvis Presley # 56
57 ( 53 ) NEVER ENDING SONG OF LOVE - The New Seekers # 8
58 ( 64 ) COSMIC DANCER - T.Rex # 58
59 ( 57 ) SUPERSTAR - Carpenters # 1
60 ( 45 ) MY LITTLE GIRL - Autumn # 45

61 ( 58 ) BANKS OF THE OHIO - Olivia Newton-John # 58
62 ( 63 ) DESIDERATA - Les Crane # 62
63 ( 67 ) RIP OFF - T.Rex # 63
64 ( 62 ) HOT LOVE - T.Rex # 1
65 ( 61 ) NATHAN JONES - The Supremes # 1
66 ( 69 ) CHINATOWN - The Move # 66
67 ( 70 ) SPILL THE WINE - The Isley Brothers # 67
68 ( 71 ) LIFE’S A GAS - T.Rex # 68
69 ( 75 ) I WANT TO PAY YOU BACK (FOR LOVING ME) - The Chi-Lites # 69
70 ( 72 ) MAMBO SUN - T.Rex # 70

71 ( 76 ) DAYDREAM BELIEVER - John Stewart # 71
72 ( 44 ) YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE IN THE ARMY TO FIGHT IN THE WAR - Mungo Jerry # 44
73 ( 74 ) DON’T WANNA LIVE INSIDE MYSELF - The Bee Gees # 73
74 ( 77 ) NORTHERN SKY - Nick Drake # 74
75 ( 78 ) I’M YOURS (USE ME ANYWAY YOU WANNA) - Ike & Tina Turner # 75
76 ( 66 ) I’M A SONG (SING ME) - Neil Sedaka # 66
77 ( 80 ) THE WAY LOVE USED TO BE - The Kinks # 77
78 ( 79 ) ABSOLUTELY RIGHT - Five Man Electrical Band # 78
79 ( NEW ) LET’S SEE ACTION - The Who # 79
80 ( NEW ) GOOD OLD FASHIONED MUSIC - The New Seekers # 80

12th October 1971 charts of the time

It's 6 weeks on top for Middle Of The Road in the final chart of "fill-in's" that I compiled after-the-event based on my memory of what I loved at the time. From next week it's actual charts that I complied at the time, in notes in pencils as my stuff arrived back from Singapore and I could start recording stuff off the radio, writing stuff down in Singapore notebooks. Still have them all. So the charts will get quite volatile, as I discovered new stuff and went mad on them immediately. In the meantime, the Carpenters get a 4th chart entry straight in at 4 - I remember watching Karen singing it on the BBC, in a special which I think they screened on Top Of The Pops for this track.

Joan Baez takes her fab Dixie track up to 6, and Al Green sneaks in at 20 with Tired Of Being Alone, his chart debut for me - but not one I loved at the time, I just liked it, and grew to love it years later after Texas did a great cover. Meanwhile, still in school, I was doing my best to provide excuses for not doing Games/P.E. - predominantly "my PE kit hasn't come back from Singapore yet", which the Games teacher grudgingly accepted for 2 or 3 weeks. It was cold outside. I didn't like Rugby or Football. And I really didn't like having to have a shower in front of people I didn't know. I'd have been fine if it was just indoors volleyball or climbing ropes or badminton or something I actually liked!

2 ( 2 ) NEVER ENDING SONG OF LOVE - The New Seekers
3 ( 3 ) I BELIEVE (IN LOVE) - Hot Chocolate
4 ( NEW ) SUPERSTAR - Carpenters
5 ( 9 ) SIMPLE GAME - The Four Tops
6 ( 19 ) THE NIGHT THEY DROVE OLD DIXIE DOWN - Joan Baez
7 ( 4 ) WITCH QUEEN OF NEW ORLEANS - Redbone
8 ( 5 ) HEY GIRL DON’T BOTHER ME - The Tams
9 ( 8 ) I’M STILL WAITING - Diana Ross
10 ( 6 ) SPANISH HARLEM - Aretha Franklin

11 ( 16 ) KEEP ON DANCING - Bay City Rollers
12 ( 10 ) BUTTERFLY - Danyel Gerard
13 ( 11 ) NATHAN JONES - The Supremes
14 ( 13 ) COUSIN NORMAN - Marmalade
15 ( 7 ) SULTANA - Titanic
16 ( 15 ) SOLDIER BLUE - Buffy Sainte-Marie
17 ( 14 ) DID YOU EVER - Nancy & Lee
18 ( 12 ) FREEDOM COME FREEDOM GO - The Fortunes
19 ( 18 ) MAGGIE MAY - Rod Stewart
20 ( NEW ) TIRED OF BEING ALONE - Al Green

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 29th October 2021, 11:27 AM
Post #74
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

16th October 1971

It's 2 weeks on top for Slade's stomping classic, holding the brilliant Argent and Hold Your Head Up at 2, good enough for a number one easily, as is Michael Jackson's highest new entry, and solo debut, at 3 - Got To Be There is more Easy Listening than Soul (as the genres were then called) but it's a great record, and a lesson in how to be 13-years-old and have an amazing range used emotionally and appropriately. Pure class. I think he might do well, that boy! New at 11, Middle Of The Road get a 5th charting track, and instant number 11, the lovely Soley Soley sounding very European Pop, largely because it IS European pop (Italian mostly) and selling in Europe ahead of a UK release.

The Sweet make it 3 top 20's in a row, with the basic beat that Block Buster would do even better with, and Gene Pitney's forgotten Run Run Roadrunner has legs, it really is a great track, albeit one I never knew before 2021. Don McLean has 2 modest chart entries for 2 huge singles not yet out - but his album is, and American Pie (Part 1 would be the single, but both parts comprise the album track) and Vincent, my middle name, and a tribute to Van Gogh, both enter in response, Vincent 9 months early for the UK singles chart - but hey, this chart is a "What if Global Release Dates was a thing then chart" so I can make it substantially different from my actual charts of the time. From this week, all my charts were weekly (or more often) and as I liked them at the time.

Ray Stevens is also a bit early with his gospel Turn Your Radio On, Bill Withers' Grandma's Hands isn't one I knew at the time, but it's not bad, ditto Aretha Franklin's Rocksteady, both of them failing to make the UK charts and get radio airplay. Unlike the final new entry, Richard Harris' My Boy got Radio 2 plays for sure - I know cos I taped it off the radio, and the only radio station with decent FM in rural Lincolnshire was Radio 2. Radio 1 was still on the fading-in-and-out full-of-whistles AM, and Radio Luxembourg was too, only even worse than Radio 1. My Boy was later covered to over-blown effect by Elvis Presley, who got the hit Richard Harris didn't.

1 ( 1 ) COZ I LUV YOU - Slade # 1
2 ( 4 ) HOLD YOUR HEAD UP - Argent # 2
3 ( NEW ) GOT TO BE THERE - Michael Jackson # 3
4 ( 3 ) SIMPLE GAME - The Four Tops # 1
5 ( 5 ) BRANDY - Scott English # 5
6 ( 2 ) JEEPSTER - T.Rex # 1
7 ( 8 ) BABY I’M A WANT YOU - Bread # 7
8 ( 9 ) ALL I EVER NEED IS YOU - Sonny & Cher # 8
9 ( 6 ) RUN BABY RUN (BACK INTO MY ARMS) - The Newbeats # 1
10 ( 10 ) I BELIEVE (IN LOVE) - Hot Chocolate # 1

11 ( NEW ) SOLEY SOLEY - Middle Of The Road # 11
12 ( 12 ) THEME FROM “THE PERSUADERS” - John Barry # 12
13 ( 11 ) WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO - Donnie Elbert # 1
14 ( 7 ) IMAGINE - John Lennon # 4
15 ( 13 ) GYPSIES, TRAMPS & THIEVES - Cher # 1
16 ( 14 ) THEME FROM SHAFT - Isaac Hayes # 1
17 ( 19 ) BRAND NEW KEY - Melanie # 17
18 ( 16 ) HAVE YOU SEEN HER - The Chi-Lites # 1
19 ( 38 ) ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL - The Sweet # 19
20 ( 39 ) RUN RUN ROADRUNNER - Gene Pitney # 20

21 ( 15 ) TAP TURNS ON THE WATER - C.C.S # 5
22 ( 18 ) GET IT ON (BANG A GONG) - T.Rex # 1
23 ( 17 ) PUT YOURSELF IN MY PLACE - The Elgins # 10
24 ( 20 ) KEEP ON DANCING - Bay City Rollers # 17
25 ( 22 ) SURRENDER - Diana Ross # 1
26 ( 23 ) THE NIGHT THEY DROVE OLD DIXIE DOWN - Joan Baez # 2
27 ( 27 ) LADY LUV BUG - Clodagh Rodgers # 27
28 ( 28 ) LIFE IS A LONG SONG - Jethro Tull # 28
29 ( 36 ) JEALOUS GUY - John Lennon # 29
30 ( 26 ) I’M STILL WAITING - Diana Ross # 5

31 ( 49 ) I WILL RETURN - Springwater # 31
32 ( 40 ) YOU ARE EVERYTHING - The Stylistics # 32
33 ( 21 ) BUTTERFLY (UK/AUSTRALIAN 7” VERSION) - Danyel Gerard # 14
34 ( 31 ) TAKE ME GIRL I’M READY - Junior Walker & The All Stars # 5
35 ( NEW ) AMERICAN PIE - Don McLean # 35
36 ( 43 ) TILL - Tom Jones # 36
37 ( 33 ) HOW CAN YOU MEND A BROKEN HEART - The Bee Gees # 1
38 ( 34 ) MERCY MERCY ME (THE ECOLOGY) - Marvin Gaye # 1
39 ( 25 ) HOCUS POCUS - Focus # 6
40 ( 32 ) SULTANA - Titanic # 5

41 ( 24 ) SWEET CITY WOMAN - The Stampeders # 24
42 ( 35 ) HEY GIRL DON’T BOTHER ME - The Tams # 6
43 ( 37 ) UNCLE ALBERT/ADMIRAL HALSEY - Paul & Linda McCartney # 1
44 ( 47 ) SUPERBIRD - Neil Sedaka # 44
45 ( 41 ) AIN’T NO SUNSHINE - Bill Withers # 1
46 ( 30 ) LET YOUR YEAH BE YEAH - The Pioneers # 3
47 ( NEW ) VINCENT - Don McLean # 47
48 ( 42 ) FOR ALL WE KNOW - Shirley Bassey # 9
49 ( 29 ) LOOK AROUND (AND YOU’LL FIND ME THERE) - Vince Hill # 29
50 ( 54 ) THE LIGHTNING TREE - The Settlers # 50

51 ( 48 ) THE WITCH QUEEN OF NEW ORLEANS - Redbone # 5
52 ( 66 ) CHINATOWN - The Move # 52
53 ( 58 ) COSMIC DANCER - T.Rex # 53
54 ( 44 ) RESPECT YOURSELF - The Staple Singers # 44
55 ( 53 ) BLACK AND WHITE - Greyhound # 1
56 ( 50 ) TOM TOM TURNAROUND - New World # 8
57 ( 52 ) SPANISH HARLEM - Aretha Franklin # 10
58 ( 62 ) DESIDERATA - Les Crane # 58
59 ( 59 ) SUPERSTAR - Carpenters # 1
60 ( 46 ) COUSIN NORMAN - Marmalade # 19

61 ( 45 ) FREEDOM COME, FREEDOM GO - The Fortunes # 22
62 ( 57 ) NEVER ENDING SONG OF LOVE - The New Seekers # 8
63 ( 56 ) IT’S ONLY LOVE - Elvis Presley # 56
64 ( 51 ) WORKING ON A BUILDING OF LOVE - Chairmen Of The Board # 51
65 ( 69 ) I WANT TO PAY YOU BACK (FOR LOVING ME) - The Chi-Lites # 65
66 ( 67 ) SPILL THE WINE - The Isley Brothers # 66
67 ( 64 ) HOT LOVE - T.Rex # 1
68 ( 68 ) LIFE’S A GAS - T.Rex # 68
69 ( 71 ) DAYDREAM BELIEVER - John Stewart # 69
70 ( 77 ) THE WAY LOVE USED TO BE - The Kinks # 70

71 ( 55 ) MAMY BLUE - Roger Whittaker # 55
72 ( 75 ) I’M YOURS (USE ME ANYWAY YOU WANNA) - Ike & Tina Turner # 72
73 ( 73 ) DON’T WANNA LIVE INSIDE MYSELF - The Bee Gees # 73
74 ( 65 ) NATHAN JONES - The Supremes # 1
75 ( NEW ) TURN YOUR RADIO ON - Ray Stevens # 75
76 ( 80 ) GOOD OLD FASHIONED MUSIC - The New Seekers # 76
77 ( 79 ) LET’S SEE ACTION - The Who # 77
78 ( NEW ) GRANDMA’S HANDS - Bill Withers # 78
79 ( NEW ) ROCK STEADY - Aretha Franklin # 79
80 ( NEW ) MY BOY - Richard Harris # 80

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 30th October 2021, 11:52 AM
Post #75
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

19th October 1971

In which my first weekly charts start up again after 2 years of "after-the-event" fill-in's, and the top 2 are the singles I bought in the UK at my very first opportunity. So that's 7 weeks on top for Middle Of The Road, having the edge over The New Seekers. In comes Elvis with a track at 4 I never managed to record on tape (the stuff from Singapore had arrived, so I had my notepads for charting, and a microphone for recording off the old radio from Germany we still had. The sound was tinny, but I still love those tapes off Alan Freeman's chart show and Terry Wogan's afternoon radio show) so I got it for Xmas cos I loved I'm Leaving and still loved Elvis in those days.

The Carpenters debut at 7 with Superstar, as they were in the UK promoting it and at last get another UK hit after flopping with Rainy Days & Mondays. New at 8, I included The New Seekers latest single Good Old Fashioned Music - and then because it wasn't in the UK charts I erased it and moved all other songs up one place. I can still make out where they were originally, so I've re-instated it as I wish I'd never introduced the "UK top 30 only" rule for my charts in a few weeks time, so many great records never charted until I changed the rules in 1974. New at 9, the fab Brandy, the definitive version of the song from writer Scott English, and way better than the famous blander versions from Barry Manilow and Westlife, aka Mandy.

my actual chart of the time in my handwriting...

2 ( 2 ) NEVER ENDING SONG OF LOVE - The New Seekers
3 ( 3 ) I BELIEVE (IN LOVE) - Hot Chocolate
4 ( NEW ) I’M LEAVING - Elvis Presley
5 ( 5 ) SIMPLE GAME - The Four Tops
6 ( 6 ) THE NIGHT THEY DROVE OLD DIXIE DOWN - Joan Baez
7 ( NEW ) SUPERSTAR - Carpenters
8 ( NEW ) GOOD OLD FASHIONED MUSIC - The New Seekers
9 ( NEW ) BRANDY - Scott English
10 ( 11 ) KEEP ON DANCING - Bay City Rollers

11 ( 7 ) WITCH QUEEN OF NEW ORLEANS - Redbone
12 ( 8 ) HEY GIRL DON’T BOTHER ME - The Tams
13 ( 9 ) I’M STILL WAITING - Diana Ross
14 ( 10 ) SPANISH HARLEM - Aretha Franklin
15 ( 17 ) DID YOU EVER - Nancy & Lee
16 ( 16 ) SOLDIER BLUE - Buffy Sainte-Marie
17 ( 14 ) COUSIN NORMAN - Marmalade
18 ( 12 ) BUTTERFLY - Danyel Gerard
19 ( 13 ) NATHAN JONES - The Supremes
20 ( 19 ) MAGGIE MAY - Rod Stewart
21 ( RE ) TAP TURNS ON THE WATER - C.C.S.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 7th November 2021, 04:45 PM
Post #76
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

23rd October 1971

It's a first week on top for young 13-year-old Michael Jackson and his amazing vocal on Got To Be There, his first solo chart-topper (and very much not the last) in these retrospective revisit charts, his 2nd after I'll Be There did it first for The Jackson 5. Middle Of The Road were topping my charts exactly 50 years ago - but the follow-up single to that one is up to 6 for a 3rd Retro top 10, Soley Soley being a hit in Italy already. John Barry's fab TV show theme finally makes the top 10 too, his second after Midnight Cowboy in 1969. Highest new entry is straight in at 13 for Sly & The family Stone and their greatest record by some distance, the brilliant Family Affair. If the production sounds a bit muddy it's due to obsessive recording over on the same tape by Sly, apparently. Regardless, it's a classic, and I loved Madonna doing it live at one of her concerts - certainly much better than the Catastrophically bad version Sly & co did when I saw them around 10 or 15 years back.

New at 50, Jonathan King is back under another pseudonym - or so he claims. The backing track B side (I bought the single at the time) is certainly JK but the young girl rapping/semi-singing Johnny Reggae, most definitely isn't. It's a poke at the skinhead reggae youth tribe cult which was big in 1971 among some working class white lads and their girlfriends - a sort of reaction to the long-haired teens that was pretty much the official boys uniform at the time. My hair, as was the order of the day in RAF schools, was short but not skin-head, so that signified geek or nerd, or swot as the term of that time. The record is still quite fun and tongue-in-cheek.

The batch of new entries down t'bottom end: Cliff on Sing A Song Of Freedom, not one of my fave Cliff tracks at the time TBH - but it's not bad; The Trems getting a flop with Too Late (To Be Saved) and one I quite liked but never loved; David Cassidy debuting in the USA with his first solo hit spin-off from The Partridge Family, his fairly bland cover of the original and bland Cherish by The Association. At least in the UK it got to be the also-ran side of Could It be Forever, way better record; The Temptations were getting UK airplay with Superstar - but again not one of their greatest releases, or hits; Smokey Robinson is back, with a flop that is new to me, but Satisfaction is pretty decent actually - then again Smokey Robinson is minimum "pretty decent" generally; The Emotions also drop in 6 years earlier than their Best Of My Life real-life UK chart debut gem, with the rather nice Show Me How.

1 ( 3 ) GOT TO BE THERE - Michael Jackson # 1
2 ( 1 ) COZ I LUV YOU - Slade # 2
3 ( 2 ) HOLD YOUR HEAD UP - Argent # 3
4 ( 7 ) BABY I’M A WANT YOU - Bread # 4
5 ( 4 ) SIMPLE GAME - The Four Tops # 5
6 ( 11 ) SOLEY SOLEY - Middle Of The Road # 6
7 ( 5 ) BRANDY - Scott English # 7
8 ( 6 ) JEEPSTER - T.Rex # 8
9 ( 8 ) ALL I EVER NEED IS YOU - Sonny & Cher # 9
10 ( 12 ) THEME FROM “THE PERSUADERS” - John Barry # 10

11 ( 10 ) I BELIEVE (IN LOVE) - Hot Chocolate # 11
12 ( 9 ) RUN BABY RUN (BACK INTO MY ARMS) - The Newbeats # 12
13 ( NEW ) FAMILY AFFAIR - Sly & The Family Stone # 13
14 ( 13 ) WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO - Donnie Elbert # 14
15 ( 17 ) BRAND NEW KEY - Melanie # 15
16 ( 15 ) GYPSIES, TRAMPS & THIEVES - Cher # 16
17 ( 16 ) THEME FROM SHAFT - Isaac Hayes # 17
18 ( 20 ) RUN RUN ROADRUNNER - Gene Pitney # 18
19 ( 31 ) I WILL RETURN - Springwater # 19
20 ( 19 ) ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL - The Sweet # 20

21 ( 14 ) IMAGINE - John Lennon # 21
22 ( 18 ) HAVE YOU SEEN HER - The Chi-Lites # 22
23 ( 21 ) TAP TURNS ON THE WATER - C.C.S # 23
24 ( 22 ) GET IT ON (BANG A GONG) - T.Rex # 24
25 ( 28 ) LIFE IS A LONG SONG - Jethro Tull # 25
26 ( 26 ) THE NIGHT THEY DROVE OLD DIXIE DOWN - Joan Baez # 26
27 ( 25 ) SURRENDER - Diana Ross # 27
28 ( 32 ) YOU ARE EVERYTHING - The Stylistics # 28
29 ( 35 ) AMERICAN PIE - Don McLean # 29
30 ( 24 ) KEEP ON DANCING - Bay City Rollers # 30

31 ( 23 ) PUT YOURSELF IN MY PLACE - The Elgins # 31
32 ( 27 ) LADY LUV BUG - Clodagh Rodgers # 32
33 ( 30 ) I’M STILL WAITING - Diana Ross # 33
34 ( 44 ) SUPERBIRD - Neil Sedaka # 34
35 ( 47 ) VINCENT - Don McLean # 35
36 ( 36 ) TILL - Tom Jones # 36
37 ( 29 ) JEALOUS GUY - John Lennon # 37
38 ( 34 ) TAKE ME GIRL I’M READY - Junior Walker & The All Stars # 38
39 ( 50 ) THE LIGHTNING TREE - The Settlers # 39
40 ( 52 ) CHINATOWN - The Move # 40

41 ( 37 ) HOW CAN YOU MEND A BROKEN HEART - The Bee Gees # 41
42 ( 38 ) MERCY MERCY ME (THE ECOLOGY) - Marvin Gaye # 42
43 ( 33 ) BUTTERFLY (UK/AUSTRALIAN 7” VERSION) - Danyel Gerard # 43
44 ( 43 ) UNCLE ALBERT/ADMIRAL HALSEY - Paul & Linda McCartney # 44
45 ( 42 ) HEY GIRL DON’T BOTHER ME - The Tams # 45
46 ( 40 ) SULTANA - Titanic # 46
47 ( 39 ) HOCUS POCUS - Focus # 47
48 ( 45 ) AIN’T NO SUNSHINE - Bill Withers # 48
49 ( 53 ) COSMIC DANCER - T.Rex # 49
50 ( NEW ) JOHNNY REGGAE - The Piglets # 50

51 ( 46 ) LET YOUR YEAH BE YEAH - The Pioneers # 51
52 ( 65 ) I WANT TO PAY YOU BACK (FOR LOVING ME) - The Chi-Lites # 52
53 ( 48 ) FOR ALL WE KNOW - Shirley Bassey # 53
54 ( 51 ) THE WITCH QUEEN OF NEW ORLEANS - Redbone # 54
55 ( 58 ) DESIDERATA - Les Crane # 55
56 ( 68 ) LIFE’S A GAS - T.Rex # 56
57 ( 55 ) BLACK AND WHITE - Greyhound # 57
58 ( 69 ) DAYDREAM BELIEVER - John Stewart # 58
59 ( 70 ) THE WAY LOVE USED TO BE - The Kinks # 59
60 ( 59 ) SUPERSTAR - Carpenters # 60

61 ( 56 ) TOM TOM TURNAROUND - New World # 61
62 ( 57 ) SPANISH HARLEM - Aretha Franklin # 62
63 ( 41 ) SWEET CITY WOMAN - The Stampeders # 63
64 ( 72 ) I’M YOURS (USE ME ANYWAY YOU WANNA) - Ike & Tina Turner # 64
65 ( 73 ) DON’T WANNA LIVE INSIDE MYSELF - The Bee Gees # 65
66 ( 66 ) SPILL THE WINE - The Isley Brothers # 66
67 ( 75 ) TURN YOUR RADIO ON - Ray Stevens # 67
68 ( 67 ) HOT LOVE - T.Rex # 68
69 ( 62 ) NEVER ENDING SONG OF LOVE - The New Seekers # 69
70 ( 76 ) GOOD OLD FASHIONED MUSIC - The New Seekers # 70

71 ( 78 ) GRANDMA’S HANDS - Bill Withers # 71
72 ( 77 ) LET’S SEE ACTION - The Who # 72
73 ( 80 ) MY BOY - Richard Harris # 73
74 ( 79 ) ROCK STEADY - Aretha Franklin # 74
75 ( NEW ) SING A SONG OF FREEDOM - Cliff Richard # 75
76 ( NEW ) TOO LATE (TO BE SAVED) - The Tremeloes # 76
77 ( NEW ) CHERISH - David Cassidy # 77
78 ( NEW ) SUPERSTAR (REMEMBER HOW YOU GOT WHERE YOU ARE) - The Temptations # 78
79 ( NEW ) SATISFACTION - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles # 79
80 ( NEW ) SHOW ME HOW - The Emotions # 80

Wot I liked then 26th Oct 1971

It's 8 weeks on top for Middle Of The Road, I was a bit of a fan back in the day. Elvis has his biggest hit since The Wonder Of You, at 2, and The Four Tops reach a new peak for my original 1968 onwards charts, as Simple game hits 3. Peter Noone returns after an enforced-Singapore gap (I didn't hear any Herman's Hermits tracks since My Sentimental Friend, and this is his first solo charting track, though I retrospectively got to hear Oh You Pretty Things). Walnut Whirl was listed in my notes of the week as a new track I liked, (but as I never managed to get it on tape it's going to be interesting to revisit 50 years on, given the lyrics about a girl with a weight issue...!)

2 ( 4 ) I’M LEAVING - Elvis Presley
3 ( 5 ) SIMPLE GAME - The Four Tops
4 ( 6 ) THE NIGHT THEY DROVE OLD DIXIE DOWN - Joan Baez
5 ( 3 ) I BELIEVE (IN LOVE) - Hot Chocolate
6 ( 9 ) BRANDY - Scott English
7 ( 7 ) SUPERSTAR - Carpenters
8 ( 10 ) KEEP ON DANCING - Bay City Rollers
9 ( 11 ) WITCH QUEEN OF NEW ORLEANS - Redbone
10 ( 18 ) BUTTERFLY - Danyel Gerard

11 ( 14 ) SPANISH HARLEM - Aretha Franklin
12 ( RE ) SULTANA - Titanic
13 ( 8 ) GOOD OLD FASHIONED MUSIC - The New Seekers
14 ( 12 ) HEY GIRL DON’T BOTHER ME - The Tams
15 ( 17 ) COUSIN NORMAN - Marmalade
16 ( 15 ) DID YOU EVER - Nancy & Lee
17 ( RE ) FREEDOM COME FREEDOM GO - The Fortunes
18 ( NEW ) WALNUT WHIRL - Peter Noone

19 ( 21 ) TAP TURNS ON THE WATER - C.C.S.
20 ( NEW ) LOOK AROUND - Vince Hill

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 12th November 2021, 06:54 PM
Post #77
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

30th October 1971

It's back up on top for a 3rd week for Slade, as Coz I Luv You topped the charts 50 years ago and tops my charts now, around the time I was now taping stuff off the radio and making all sorts of lists and charts in the exciting pop scene of late 1971. Middle Of The Road topped my chart back in 1971, and becomes the closest of their hat-trick of number ones in my original charts to do it again, at 3 with Soley Soley, as John Kongos gets an instant second top 5 with the thrilling and menacing Tokoloshe Man new at 4. Sly & The family Stone get a first top 10 in the retro charts, Family Affair remaining my fave of theirs, but they have a new album out too this week, so the next single charts early, Runnin' Away at 46.

New at 25, an instant number one for me after hearing Alan Freeman play it more than once in a row on his Pick Of The Pops - Rescue Company No. 1 were another RAK Records act, but never got the hit they deserved with Life's Too Short, a really strong song that could easily translate into a bangin dance or rock tune even 50 years later, I reckon. My younger brother's then-fave record (along with Charlie Drake's Puckwudgie) is new at 42 for Benny Hill. I watched Benny do it on his show, along with millions of others, and it is far and away his finest moment, Ernie being a right ol' parody of the Western High Noon done British-70's-style. You're lucky to find a milkman these days.

At 54, the song Paul Williams wrote for the Carpenters (I guess they objected to the song title given the Easy Listening slagging offs they were getting in some quarters) so he gave An Old fashioned Love Song to Three Dog Night, who duly ruined it as was their habit with covers. In the UK Ayshea Brough covered it on Lift Off - she usually did contemporary songs each week on the kids pop show, all but 1 or 2 of which have been scrubbed - as did The New Seekers, and both versions I liked. Paul released his own album of his own hit songs for others, and I love his ragtime style - much as he did with Bugsy Malone, the film soundtrack, and his guest spot on The Muppet Show a few years later when he sang this song. Still the best version.

It's double Lindisfarne this week, as the new album is out, with Fog On The Tyne popping in before Gazza can ruin it, a baby at this period probably, admittedly. Higher up, though, is the fab Meet Me On The Corner a few months early from being a hit single. I saw Lindisfarne in 1980 at Knebworth, they were fun. Cilla's new in with her TV show theme, watched and loved by millions, Something Tells Me was her last big hit, mainly cos it was the TV show theme though, I think. In 2 months she'll do a duet with Marc Bolan on his Life's A Gas - which I think is much better than the original a few places lower.

Peter Noone brings his "cuddly girls are fab" song into the chart, one I liked as I'd been a Herman's Hermits fan since I was 6, Walnut Whirl sounding not bad at all 50 years later. Sweathog is an American hit new to me, a decent rockpop single Hallelujah, Stones is the best track off Neil Diamond's latest album of mostly-covers (lazy!), and self-written, and one I quite liked at the time, Buffy Sainte-Marie's I'm Gonna Be A Country Girl Again charts a few months early too, out in the USA, and The Coasters return with a cool new image and a pretty good update of their classic Love Potion No. 9. Never heard it before, neither Tommy James' Nothing To Hide - which has never made the listing on any Greatest Hits CD's I've bought, but is decent. Finally, we have Burundi Black, the template for Adam & The Ants 9 years early. Oh, yes it is...!

1 ( 2 ) COZ I LUV YOU - Slade # 1
2 ( 1 ) GOT TO BE THERE - Michael Jackson # 1
3 ( 6 ) SOLEY SOLEY - Middle Of The Road # 3
4 ( NEW ) TOKOLOSHE MAN - John Kongos # 4
5 ( 3 ) HOLD YOUR HEAD UP - Argent # 2
6 ( 5 ) SIMPLE GAME - The Four Tops # 1
7 ( 7 ) BRANDY - Scott English # 5
8 ( 4 ) BABY I’M A WANT YOU - Bread # 4
9 ( 13 ) FAMILY AFFAIR - Sly & The Family Stone # 9
10 ( 8 ) JEEPSTER - T.Rex # 1

11 ( 9 ) ALL I EVER NEED IS YOU - Sonny & Cher # 8
12 ( 10 ) THEME FROM “THE PERSUADERS” - John Barry # 10
13 ( 11 ) I BELIEVE (IN LOVE) - Hot Chocolate # 1
14 ( 12 ) RUN BABY RUN (BACK INTO MY ARMS) - The Newbeats # 1
15 ( 18 ) RUN RUN ROADRUNNER - Gene Pitney # 15
16 ( 14 ) WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO - Donnie Elbert # 1
17 ( 19 ) I WILL RETURN - Springwater # 17
18 ( 16 ) GYPSIES, TRAMPS & THIEVES - Cher # 1
19 ( 17 ) THEME FROM SHAFT - Isaac Hayes # 1
20 ( 28 ) YOU ARE EVERYTHING - The Stylistics # 20

21 ( 21 ) IMAGINE - John Lennon # 4
22 ( 22 ) HAVE YOU SEEN HER - The Chi-Lites # 1
23 ( 35 ) VINCENT - Don McLean # 23
24 ( 24 ) GET IT ON (BANG A GONG) - T.Rex # 1
25 ( NEW ) LIFE’S TOO SHORT - Rescue Company No. 1 # 25
26 ( 26 ) THE NIGHT THEY DROVE OLD DIXIE DOWN - Joan Baez # 2
27 ( 29 ) AMERICAN PIE - Don McLean # 27
28 ( 23 ) TAP TURNS ON THE WATER - C.C.S # 5
29 ( 36 ) TILL - Tom Jones # 29
30 ( 20 ) ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL - The Sweet # 19

31 ( 27 ) SURRENDER - Diana Ross # 1
32 ( 25 ) LIFE IS A LONG SONG - Jethro Tull # 25
33 ( 30 ) KEEP ON DANCING - Bay City Rollers # 17
34 ( 39 ) THE LIGHTNING TREE - The Settlers # 34
35 ( 33 ) I’M STILL WAITING - Diana Ross # 5
36 ( 31 ) PUT YOURSELF IN MY PLACE - The Elgins # 10
37 ( 50 ) JOHNNY REGGAE - The Piglets # 37
38 ( 34 ) SUPERBIRD - Neil Sedaka # 34
39 ( 15 ) BRAND NEW KEY - Melanie # 15
40 ( 32 ) LADY LUV BUG - Clodagh Rodgers # 27

41 ( 38 ) TAKE ME GIRL I’M READY - Junior Walker & The All Stars # 5
42 ( NEW ) ERNIE (THE FASTEST MILKMAN IN THE WEST) - Benny Hill # 42
43 ( 41 ) HOW CAN YOU MEND A BROKEN HEART - The Bee Gees # 1
44 ( 42 ) MERCY MERCY ME (THE ECOLOGY) - Marvin Gaye # 1
45 ( 52 ) I WANT TO PAY YOU BACK (FOR LOVING ME) - The Chi-Lites # 45
46 ( NEW ) RUNNIN’ AWAY - Sly & The Family Stone # 46
47 ( 40 ) CHINATOWN - The Move # 40
48 ( 44 ) UNCLE ALBERT/ADMIRAL HALSEY - Paul & Linda McCartney # 1
49 ( 49 ) COSMIC DANCER - T.Rex # 49
50 ( 45 ) HEY GIRL DON’T BOTHER ME - The Tams # 6

51 ( 46 ) SULTANA - Titanic # 5
52 ( 48 ) AIN’T NO SUNSHINE - Bill Withers # 1
53 ( 58 ) DAYDREAM BELIEVER - John Stewart # 53
54 ( NEW ) (JUST AN) OLD FASHIONED LOVE SONG - Paul Williams # 54
55 ( 53 ) FOR ALL WE KNOW - Shirley Bassey # 9
56 ( 54 ) THE WITCH QUEEN OF NEW ORLEANS - Redbone # 5
57 ( 59 ) THE WAY LOVE USED TO BE - The Kinks # 57
58 ( 47 ) HOCUS POCUS - Focus # 6
59 ( 64 ) I’M YOURS (USE ME ANYWAY YOU WANNA) - Ike & Tina Turner # 59
60 ( 65 ) DON’T WANNA LIVE INSIDE MYSELF - The Bee Gees # 60

61 ( 57 ) BLACK AND WHITE - Greyhound # 1
62 ( 60 ) SUPERSTAR - Carpenters # 1
63 ( NEW ) MEET ME ON THE CORNER - Lindisfarne # 63
64 ( 51 ) LET YOUR YEAH BE YEAH - The Pioneers # 3
65 ( 37 ) JEALOUS GUY - John Lennon # 29
66 ( 67 ) TURN YOUR RADIO ON - Ray Stevens # 66
67 ( 43 ) BUTTERFLY (UK/AUSTRALIAN 7” VERSION) - Danyel Gerard # 14
68 ( 70 ) GOOD OLD FASHIONED MUSIC - The New Seekers # 68
69 ( 71 ) GRANDMA’S HANDS - Bill Withers # 69
70 ( 75 ) SING A SONG OF FREEDOM - Cliff Richard # 70

71 ( NEW ) SOMETHING TELLS ME (SOMETHING’S GONNA HAPPEN TONIGHT) - Cilla Black # 71
72 ( 73 ) MY BOY - Richard Harris # 72
73 ( NEW ) WALNUT WHIRL - Peter Noone # 73
74 ( 76 ) TOO LATE (TO BE SAVED) - The Tremeloes # 74
75 ( 78 ) SUPERSTAR (REMEMBER HOW YOU GOT WHERE YOU ARE) - The Temptations # 75
76 ( NEW ) HALLELUJAH - Sweathog # 76
77 ( 79 ) SATISFACTION - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles # 77
78 ( NEW ) STONES - Neil Diamond # 78
79 ( NEW ) I’M GONNA BE A COUNTRY GIRL AGAIN - Buffy Sainte Marie # 79
80 ( NEW ) LOVE POTION NO. 9 (1971 VERSION) - The Coasters # 80

81 ( NEW ) NOTHING TO HIDE - Tommy James # 81
82 ( NEW ) BURUNDI BLACK - Burundi Stephenson Black # 82
83 ( NEW ) FOG ON THE TYNE - Lindisfarne # 83

84 ( 56 ) LIFE’S A GAS - T.Rex # 56
85 ( 72 ) LET’S SEE ACTION - The Who # 72

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 12th November 2021, 07:44 PM
Post #78
Group icon
With Kristina in heart
User: 28,104

Something Tells Me (Something's Gonna Happen Tonight) is my favourite 1971 single, which was represented in UK chart.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 13th November 2021, 11:51 AM
Post #79
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Last Dreamer @ Nov 12 2021, 07:44 PM) *
Something Tells Me (Something's Gonna Happen Tonight) is my favourite 1971 single, which was represented in UK chart.

Hi Alex, you really DO like it a lot then! smile.gif I love Cilla, and am fond of this tune and memories of her TV show of the time, it's very cosy and comforting.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 13th November 2021, 12:14 PM
Post #80
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

A bit late, this is what I loved this week 50 weeks ago:

2nd November 1971

It's a first chart-topper for The Four Tops version of The Moody Blues Simple Game, as I go mad on the powerful record, and it's not just Levi Stubbs with the vocals this time either, the others get a go too. Bubblegum still appeals bigly too, as Bay City Rollers hit 2 3 years earlier than they would do in the UK charts with the 60's cover, Keep On Dancing, and of a similar vintage it's new in at 5 for The Newbeats beat doo-wop Northern Soul goodie, Run Baby Run, loved that one, still do and also Jonathan King's Piglets enter at 6 with the amusing Johnny Reggae. Scott English meanwhile is huge with Brandy 4 years ahead of Barry Manilow blanding it out and scoring huge with Mandy. The entire top 10 could easily have all been number ones had they all not collided with each other.

Slade debut at 11 with Coz I Luv You, former-skinhead stomping Glam Rockers joining T.Rex as the next big Glam act, and what a great record too. At 12, The Hermits kick out Peter Noone from the chart, revenge is sweet, as She's A Lady debuts - I havent heard this record for 50 years, and am hoping it's on Youtube so I can assess it for my retro revisit charts. The Hermits, sadly, never made a go of a solo career, unlike Peter who I last saw singing at Disney Epcot in Florida in the 90's. Clodagh Rogers follows-up her Eurovision biggie for a 4th chart entry in nearly 3 years, Lady Love Bug new at 15, and The Move do the same with Chinatown at 19, not quite matching the chart-topping Blackberry Way though!

So, in my life, my charting was going strong, I was recording current songs off Radio 2 and the Alan Freeman's Pick Of The Pops, as Radio 1 in those days was not on FM, and the signal was terrible in rural Lincolnshire, and I was listing all my recordings, songs getting played on the radio, my records, music shows like Lift Off With Ayshea. I like lists. Took my mind off school, which was very stressful. I'd had to start doing PE and Games lessons, out in the cold. I was not a fan, hadn't a clue about football, and didn't like rugby or cricket or running in cold weather. I missed the equatorial heat, the tropical climates, and friendly schoolmates. During breaks I tried to avoid everyone else, the Library was handy for that, mostly I started to go out of school to the local newsagents and flick through the American comics racks looking for DC Comics, and spending my dinner money on those and making do with a bag of chips from the chipshop on the way to Asda. The RAF house hadn't got any sort of heating, just an electric fire on the wall in the bathroom, a portable electric heater, a portable paraffin heater mum bought, and a coal fire in the living room. Getting coal from the bunker was dirty and cleaning out the ashes every morning in the cold a pain in the ass. Oh, yes, I missed the sunshine and warmth! But the pop music was amazing!

1 ( 3 ) SIMPLE GAME - The Four Tops
2 ( 8 ) KEEP ON DANCING - Bay City Rollers
3 ( 6 ) BRANDY - Scott English
4 ( 1 ) TWEEDLE DEE TWEEDLE DUM - Middle Of The Road
5 ( NEW ) RUN BABY RUN (BACK INTO MY ARMS) - The Newbeats
6 ( NEW ) JOHNNY REGGAE - The Piglets
7 ( 4 ) THE NIGHT THEY DROVE OLD DIXIE DOWN - Joan Baez
8 ( 9 ) WITCH QUEEN OF NEW ORLEANS - Redbone
9 ( 7 ) SUPERSTAR - Carpenters
10 ( 2 ) I’M LEAVING - Elvis Presley

11 ( NEW ) COZ I LUV YOU - Slade
12 ( NEW ) SHE’S A LADY - The Hermits