BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> RuPaul's Drag Race Season 11 // Bring Back My Queens!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Liаm
post May 8 2019, 10:51 PM
Post #1
Brown cow, stunning!
Group: Members
Member No.: 10,139

Mini challenge: Slap Out Of It
Main challenge: Makeover paired with an eliminated queen
Guest judges: Lena Waithe and Wanda Sykes
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Linds.
post May 8 2019, 11:39 PM
Post #2
laugh 'til we cry
Member No.: 21,176

omg ready for queen wanda

+Quote Post
Cody Scobell
post May 10 2019, 04:09 AM
Post #3
Cause if looks could kill, we wouldn’t want to be Dan Humphrey
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

what the... WHERE THE HELL WERE THESE READS TWO WEEKS AGO?

+Quote Post
tommie
post May 10 2019, 05:09 AM
Post #4
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Banned
Member No.: 8,073

WTF, stop with your Silky obsession Ru. At least we have our Miss Congeniality right here.

+Quote Post
Cody Scobell
post May 10 2019, 05:40 AM
Post #5
   No Gallery Pics

Honestly after Untucked, Nina is a sure-fire Miss Congeniality. Her words weren’t petty and yeah she had a point, each queen left has had some credit to their name but if you have to identify the weakest Queen when it comes to track record or overall growth in the competition, then that’s just how it is.

+Quote Post
tommie
post May 10 2019, 06:14 AM
Post #6
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Banned
Member No.: 8,073

Ru's obsession with Silky is just so ugh... first he basically throws Soju under the bus by implying that she's not very talented, which might not be wrong but usually when Ru comments on these pairings it tends to be down to personality dynamics rather than perceived talent. Obviously, Ru wasn't pleased that his little pet was paired with someone that wouldn't elevate Silky's talent.

Then Ru gives Silky SPECIFIC instructions about what not to do - does Ru often, if ever do that? And Silky manages to f*** it up anyway.

Ugghhnnnhghghh I can't

+Quote Post
McAndrew
post May 10 2019, 10:35 AM
Post #7
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 39,551
   No Gallery Pics

If I was miffed at last week's result, I'm absolutely raging this week.

Fashion is subjective. If Nina's cycling shorts were by Moschino the judges would eat them up. Hell, if they were on a skinny queen, they'd praise her body. At least her outfit was well made.

Shuga as a comedy queen was joyful and fairly well-realised.

In my opinion, Yvie should've been in the bottom. But they knew she'd send Silky home.

The biggest talent left this week and it was so calculated.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post May 10 2019, 11:42 AM
Post #8
Brown cow, stunning!

I cannot stand whenever the mini challenge winner chooses things it has to go into "omg she's setting me up!1!", like.... someone had to have Soju laugh.gif Silky would have struggled no matter who she had, because she just is not taking anything on board! The amount of times she's been told things, Ru even told her in the workroom, and STILL she just cannot be arsed and carries on doing things the way she wants to because it's easier.

Honestly Vanjie should have EASILY won that! I love Brooke, her and Akeria were great, but as with Brooke's Ball looks I don't think she did enough to wow me and net that win necessarily. That was such a step up for Vanjie and I was really impressed, her and Ariel practically looked like twins let alone just family! Nina should not have been bottom though, low yes I won't deny but I loved the statement of the LGBT flag and the trans flag as being in the same family, the make-up for Shuga was not the tea but I think it was great that they came out and put a message across, took a bit of a risk, and had fun. There was no fun and no edge to say Akeria or Brooke, and I get that they *technically* fit the makeover challenge more but that's why I'm not always a huge fan of the makeover challenge, those who fit the challenge often are kind of boring and predictable. But either way, I was super impressed by Vanjie and it's sad she couldn't nab that win finally.

It's tough as Silky was the only really bad one this week, but I'd have put Yvie in the bottom 2 - that's twice in a row now she's been very lucky to escape the bottom! The look wasn't terrible, it definitely had her stamp on it, but it was certainly a misstep to put Scarlet in the unfinished/early version of the same outfit, because it did make Scarlett look like an afterthought and that's always a no-no in the makeover. Even with Silky, whilst I hated the outfits, it didn't look like Soju just handed some leftovers. I kind of get Yvie's reasoning behind using that look, it wasn't right for a makeover challenge where you should be paying as much attention to your partner as yourself, and make them look like you and be on your level.

That lipsync was easily the worst of the season, I feel robbed of a proper Nina lipsync :/ It couldn't have been a less sutiable song for her, but I know that the song that week can't always be perfect for everyone who lands there, it's just the way things go sad.gif Silky has that loud and sassy personality though so TLC should have been her bag and she basically did nothing, yet again having talked SO much game she couldn't deliver any of it. It just feels like Ru already decided Silky is to be in the final so anything can pass, even sloppy messy mistakes that queens should have stopped making weeks ago. I agree as well Ru probably knew Yvie would destroy Silky in a lipsync so just let Nina go instead.

+Quote Post
✖ leww ✖
post May 10 2019, 11:45 AM
Post #9
escape in the taste of summerrrrrr
Member No.: 9,403

the lipsync was DIRE! i know nina tried but still lmao.

+Quote Post
HarryBorelli
post May 10 2019, 03:13 PM
Post #10
The Lady Said Go Home!
Member No.: 20,835

I actually didnt get the critques for nina' looks why does it have to be fashion-y for this challenge why cant it be fun??

+Quote Post
LouisL
post May 10 2019, 03:36 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 42,419
   No Gallery Pics

The second Nina mentioned the trans flag Ru knew her fate was sealed tongue.gif

But yeah I agree, for me I’m not going to remember Vanjie, Nina or even Brooke’s looks for this challenge In a few weeks but I’ll remember Yvie and Nina’s. At least they tried something different

This whole episode was a mess, it somehow made me like almost every queen less apart from Yvie

+Quote Post
post May 10 2019, 03:54 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 19,931

Vanjie should EASILY have won this.

Shame about Nina. She wasn't great in the lip sync but Silky was worse.

+Quote Post
blacksquare
post May 10 2019, 04:11 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 23,471
   No Gallery Pics

How did Vanjie not win?

What are these choices?

Did they keep Yvie from the bottom because they knew they would have to eliminate Silky?

It’s a reality competition, I get it, but this season has become so over produced and ridiculous.

+Quote Post
Envoirment
post May 10 2019, 06:37 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 10,030
   No Gallery Pics

My least favourite episode so far. I feel that Yvie should've been in the bottom over Nina. I also don't understand the critique of Nina's looks not being fashiony. Drag isn't just about fashion.

As soon as I saw the song, I knew Nina was going home. The song was not suited to her at all, although she tried her best. Silky was SO disappointing and messy in the lip sync and shouldn't have been saved over Nina.

Vanjie should've won the challenge over Brooke, by far. I guess they're setting up Brooke for the crown now though with a third win.

Bleh, I'm just so disappointed in this epsiode. Just give Brooke the crown and end the season now tbh. :/

+Quote Post
JackTheeStallion
post May 10 2019, 06:40 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 223

What a god awful episode! Everyone came off badly bar Yvie. I'm sorry but I also find Akeria and Brook Lynn devastatingly boring, they are talented but I get nothing from them personality wise.

Vanjie came across a bit salty and nasty to Scarlet. In fact Scarlet and Ariel gave me more than most of the queen's left!!

I really hope Yvie somehow wins and brings it up a notch now.

+Quote Post
HarryBorelli
post May 10 2019, 07:15 PM
Post #16
The Lady Said Go Home!
Member No.: 20,835

It sort of bugged me how vanjie and akeria all chose yvie when her look wasn't even as bad as silky's was.

+Quote Post
post May 10 2019, 07:41 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 19,931

QUOTE(Envoirment @ May 10 2019, 07:37 PM) *
My least favourite episode so far. I feel that Yvie should've been in the bottom over Nina. I also don't understand the critique of Nina's looks not being fashiony. Drag isn't just about fashion.

This is nail on the head. I feel like the definition of drag has gotten very confused, because fashion queens are such a thing now. But Nina's drag is still very valid. I hated her wigs and Shuga's makeup was a bit crusty but the outfits were great!

I'm probably the most underwhelmed ever by the top 5. I feel like Nina and Scarlet should be there.

Ever since Snatch Game Yvie has been circling the drain...What on earth happened?

+Quote Post
Cody Scobell
post May 10 2019, 08:10 PM
Post #18
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(365 @ May 10 2019, 12:41 PM) *
Ever since Snatch Game Yvie has been circling the drain...What on earth happened?
replace Yvie with this season as a whole and that’s what I’m asking

+Quote Post
Cody Scobell
post May 10 2019, 10:48 PM
Post #19
   No Gallery Pics

The more I’m going through the runway looks in my head, the more I’m leaning towards Liam’s argument on how the fallout order should have gone.

Interestingly the top three looks were ones that were “less is more”. I don’t Nina should have been bottom two but while the message was clear and lovely, I’m not sure if it fit the “drag family” challenge bc the makeup and hair used for Shuga didn’t seem to resemble Nina at all. From the neck down it was good, but it missed the mark from the neck up.

The only criticism I would give to Vanjie is that it looks like a replica of her workroom entrance look, but I’ll give her a pass on that bc the judges hadn’t seen it and it was on Ariel as opposed to it being on Vanjie. Brooke gave a story, and A’keria’s was also a great resemblance. I do agree that Scarlet just felt like a prototype and Yvie was like “yeah, after seeing it in person I may need to tweak a few things”.

Silky has made the least progress out of the remaining queens. She went out and the one thing I was looking at was her padding... and it looked uneven again. That shows that she’s not really taking the criticism and learning from it.

But you know... anything to get those drama infused ratings (which will for sure drop after this).

+Quote Post
Liаm
post May 11 2019, 12:09 AM
Post #20
Brown cow, stunning!

QUOTE(365 @ May 10 2019, 08:41 PM) *
This is nail on the head. I feel like the definition of drag has gotten very confused, because fashion queens are such a thing now. But Nina's drag is still very valid. I hated her wigs and Shuga's makeup was a bit crusty but the outfits were great!

Exactly! Like I get if a judge prefers fashion queens or whatever because we've all got our preferred "type" of queen, but they do seem to really place emphasis on fashion as drag and that shouldn't be it at all. We do have the likes of Raja, Violet and Aquaria who've pushed the boundaries of fashion with drag, but equally winners like Trixie, Bianca, Jinkx and Alaska have done so much with their comedy and/or personalities that are really doing so much, like Trixie and Bianca are doing things that no drag queen has ever done. I don't know why a look, most of the time a look somebody else made for them anyway, is nowadays the be all and end all. Whilst Brooke and Yvie have absolutely slayed the runway with some fashion/conceptual looks, Nina always brings a bit of fun and camp, and Drag Race always could do with some of that.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:39 AM