BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Mack's #ThrowbackThursday Re-Up, This week: UB40, Mann/50 Cent, Usher
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Roba.
post 4th May 2023, 04:43 PM
Post #21
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

Underrated J-Lo track that was.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 11th May 2023, 02:35 PM
Post #22
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

This Week:

1995- Montell Jordan- This Is How We Do It

The first song for this week is: Montell Jordan- This Is How We Do It. This would be the debut single for Montell Jordan. This would peak at #11 in the UK, however in the US it was much more successful for me by peaking at #1 knocking Madonna's 'Take a Bow' from the top spot. It would remain at #1 in the US for seven consecutive weeks. This has been covered by Mis-Teeq as a double A-side in 2002 with 'Roll On'. In 2015, this was remixed by Dutch DJ Joe Stone where it would peak at #17 in the UK.

2008- Kanye West ft Dwele- Flashing Lights

'Flashing Lights' was the fourth single from Kanye West's third studio album 'Graduation'. This featured Dwele. In both the UK and US this would peak at #29. I think this is one of the highlights from 'Graduation' for Kanye.

2010- Professor Green ft Ed Drewett- I Need You Tonight

'I Need You Tonight' was the debut single from British rapper Professor Green from his debut album 'Alive Till I'm Dead' this featured Ed Drewett who somehow unless Simon, Amanda, David and Alesha had amnesia was a semi-finalist on Britain's Got Talent in 2012. This samples INXS 'Need You Tonight'. This would peak at #3 in the UK for Professor Green. Controversial opinion but I prefer this to his 'Read All About It' collaboration he did with Emeli Sande.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 18th May 2023, 02:20 PM
Post #23
Group icon

This Week:

1993- Inner Circle- Sweat (A La La La La Long)

The first song for this week is: Inner Circle- Sweat (A La La La La Long). This was a re-issue from them where it was originally released in 1992 where it got to #43 in the UK. With this re-issue it would peak at #3 in the UK and it charted at #16 in the US.

2007- Omarion ft Timbaland- Ice Box

'Ice Box' was the second single from American R&B singer Omarion from his second album '21'. This would his biggest hit in the UK where it charted at #14, in the US it would peak two places higher at #12. This would have guest vocals from Timbaland, in the music video Beyonce's sister Solange Knowles played Omarion's girlfriend. This is a perfect chilled tune this from Omarion. I couldn't tire of this from him.

2008- Usher ft Young Jeezy- Love In This Club

The last song for this week is from one of my favourite songs here from Usher. Was completely obesessed with this R'n'B sexy tune from Usher and guest vocals from Young Jeezy. Cameos in the music video from Diddy, Keri Hilson, Kanye West. This was a defining song for me from the year that was 2008.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 18th May 2023, 02:30 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Coincidentally I listened to Sweat just earlier today!

Ice Box is one of those underrated noughties R&B gems. Omarion is someone I've always thought should have had more hits.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 18th May 2023, 04:02 PM
Post #25
Group icon
Rob aah

'Love In This Club' is one of the very few Usher tracks I actually really enjoyed!

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 25th May 2023, 02:02 PM
Post #26
Group icon

This Week:

1993- House of Pain- Jump Around

The first song for this week is: House of Pain- Jump Around. This was from US hip-hop group House of Pain. This was a re-release of the song in the UK where it was originally released in 1993 where it got to #32 in the UK. With the re-release, it would peak at #8 in the UK. In the US, it would fare better where it would peak at #3. It is also used in sports, two-time PDC World Champion darts player Gary Anderson uses this as his walk-on music.

1998- K-Ci & JoJo- All My Life

'All My Life' was the third single from American R&B duo K-Ci & JoJo. This would peak at #8 in the UK, in the US this would fare better and become a Billboard Hot 100 #1 for three consecutive weeks. This would be the most successful song of their career. This is a great R&B ballad from them.

2010- Taio Cruz ft Kesha- Dirty Picture

'Dirty Picture' was the third single from Taio Cruz's second studio album 'Rokstarr'. This featured Kesha, this would go on to peak at #6 in the UK.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 25th May 2023, 02:48 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Urgh I personally can't stand Jump Around. Definitely one for me that goes in the "songs you could happily never hear again" thread.

Dirty Picture now that was a grimy jam from back in my early clubbing days.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 25th May 2023, 03:53 PM
Post #28
Group icon
Rob aah

'Dirty Picture' is a good pick from those.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 26th May 2023, 01:22 AM
Post #29
Group icon

Cheers for commenting both, much appreciated.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 1st June 2023, 02:23 PM
Post #30
Group icon

This Week:

2001- Jennifer Lopez- Play

'Play' was the second single from Jennifer Lopez's second studio album 'J.Lo'. This would peak at #3 in the UK, in the US this would peak at #18.

2006- Kanye West ft Lupe Fiasco- Touch The Sky

Which Sampled This:

'Touch The Sky' was the fourth single from Kanye West's second studio album 'Late Registration. This would feature Lupe Fiasco on his career debut. This sampled Curtis Mayfield's 'Move On Up'. The music video was a homage to Evel Knievel and his attempt to jump across the Grand Canyon, however it would lead to a lawsuit from Evel Knievel which was settled in 2007, the video features a cameo from Pamela Anderson. In the UK this would peak at #6, in the US this would peak at #43.

2013- Pitbull ft Christina Aguilera- Feel This Moment

Which Sampled This:

The final song for this week is 'Feel This Moment' which was the fourth single from Pitbull's seventh studio album 'Global Warming'. This would sample a-ha's 'Take On Me'. This would feature Christina Aguilera. In the UK this would peak at #5 in the UK, in the US it would peak at #8. Might be in the minority regarding this song, but I quite enjoyed it from Pitbull/Christina Aguilera.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 1st June 2023, 03:01 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Play was a huge Sarah Cox staple on her morning show on Radio 1 back then! Reminds me of lifts to school.

I think the Kanye song uses the sample better but I prefer the Pitbull track overall, big last year at uni highlight that one.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 1st June 2023, 09:47 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293

Touch the Sky is legendary. Lupe’s verse is great.

Not a fan of ‘Feel This Moment’ though.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 6th June 2023, 12:29 PM
Post #33
Group icon

Commentary now included.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 9th June 2023, 12:24 PM
Post #34
Group icon

A day later due to the Buzzjack outage:

This Week:

2003- Busta Rhymes ft Mariah Carey & Flipmode Squad- I Know What You Want

'I Know What You Want' was the second single from Busta Rhymes' sixth studio album 'It Ain't No Safe More..., This would be regarded as a comeback single his collaborator which was Mariah Carey, This would peak at #3 in the UK and the US which at the time was Busta's highest charting song at the time until 2005. I would regard this song as much as a hip-hop classic. I couldn't really tire of this song.

2010- Tinie Tempah- Pass Out

'Pass Out' was the debut single for Tinie Tempah this would have uncredital vocals from Labrinth. This would go on and peak at #1 in the UK where it stayed for two weeks. I can remember being told off at high school in Year 11 for listening to this at lunchtime on We7 on the computer because of the lyrics apparently.

2011- Nicole Scherzinger- Don't Hold Your Breath

The final song for this week is:'Don't Hold Your Breath' was the second single from Nicole Scherzinger's debut album 'Studio Love' This would go on and become Nicole's first UK #1 hit as a solo artist, this would knock off Adele's 'Someone Like You' off the #1 spot for a week, then a week later 'Someone Like You' would return to the #1 spot. In the US this would chart at #86.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 9th June 2023, 12:59 PM
Post #35
Group icon
Rob aah

Was and still am a fan of 'Don't Hold Your Breath'.

+Quote this post
denz98
post 9th June 2023, 01:37 PM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 135,375

Pass Out, a song that definitely brings back some great memories of my childhood and that time!

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 9th June 2023, 02:58 PM
Post #37
Group icon

Cheers both for commenting, I couldn't tire of both of those songs 'Don't Hold Your Breath' or 'Pass Out'.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 14th June 2023, 12:01 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Wow Don't Hold Your Breath really tanked in America.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 15th June 2023, 02:08 PM
Post #39
Group icon

This Week:

1995- Michael Jackson & Janet Jackson- Scream

'Scream' was the lead single from Michael Jackson's ninth studio album 'HIStory: Past, Present and Future, Book 1'. The music video at the time was listed in the Guinness World Records as the most expensive music video of all time and still holds that record with $7 million. This would go on to peak at #3 in the UK. In the US this would peak at #5.

1996- Michael Jackson- They Don't Care About Us

It is a double helping from Michael Jackson this week. 'They Don't Care About Us' was the fifth single from Michael Jackson's nineth studio album 'HIStory: Past, Present and Future, Book 1'. This would go on and peak at #4 in the UK for Michael, in the US this would peak at #30. There was also a prison version music video of this:

I also remember this from a particular Britain's Got Talent version from 2009:

2011- Cee-Lo Green ft Wiz Khalifa- Bright Lights, Bigger City

The last song for this week is: 'Bright Lights Bigger City' was the fourth single from Cee-Lo Green's third studio album 'The Lady Killer' A remix of the track which will find below is a guest appearance with rapper Wiz Khalifa. This would peak at #13 in the UK. I would consider this a good follow-up from 'Forget You'

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 15th June 2023, 08:41 PM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293

Neither would be near the top of my Michael Jackson picks but they're both alright.

I wasn't a massive fan of the CeeLo track either kink.gif

Pass Out was a great pick last week though!

+Quote this post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 11:50 AM