BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 'MDNA' • album discussion, 12th album | 2012
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
HausofKubrick
post 26th February 2021, 09:01 PM
Post #41
Group icon
User: 13,007
I love how you haven't included GMAYL and Turn Up The Radio, two of the singles - it shows how royally they messed up this era with the single choices! I agree though, your ordering and tracklist is so much more consistent. *.*
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 27th February 2021, 07:50 PM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
It definitely does show how much they messed up! I think 'Give Me All Your Luvin'' really killed Madonna's career. It was such a crucial point, she had great success with 'Hard Candy' but obviously her age was working against her as far as radio were concerned, so it was key that she returned with the right single in order to keep that support. I remember it was big news when it premiered, either Capital or Radio 1 got the exclusive first play, so radio was still willing to support her at this point. I don't think the song was what anyone wanted, but it certainly didn't capture the interests of the general public. Care-free, cheery pop was pretty popular at the time but this just felt so juvenile and silly, I think people had a much higher standard for Madonna. The self-referential didn't go down well either.

+Quote this post
Dante77
post 24th March 2021, 05:39 PM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 122,900
Ok, I'm working my way through this forum and have loved everybody's comments on M's albums. I'm now on MDNA, which again is a very patchy album for me, some really brilliant tracks and some really disappointing, lame ones too. With the release of MDNA, I started to have my doubts that M would deliver a coherent album ever again. I still have those doubts sadly. When I heard she was working with William Orbit again on this album, I rejoiced, alas the album for me isn't a career-best, like Hard Candy, it just doesn't feel finished or representative of M. William Orbit later said that Madonna didn't allow enough time to get this done properly, and that's how it feels for me. It feels like a manufactured album, written and recorded in a short space of time, with lots of producers/writers, etc, and is in the main, missing the magic.

1. Falling Free
2. Girl Gone Wild
3. I F***ed Up
4. Love Spent
5. Turn Up The Radio
6. Gang Bang
7. Beautiful Killer
8. I'm Addicted
9. Best Friend
10. Masterpiece
11. Some Girls
12. Give Me All Your Luvin' (feat. Nicki Minaj & M.I.A.)
13. I Don't Give A (feat. Nicki Minaj)
14. I'm A Sinner
15. Superstar
16. B-Day Song

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 23rd March 2022, 12:10 PM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Happy 10th birthday to 'MDNA! cheer.gif

Ten years on, conversation among her fans runs hot about MDNA’s legacy within her canon; it is commonly written off as a lesser, transitional misfire. In truth, MDNA was the soundtrack to Madonna’s own internal battle for her artistic soul made public. Despite that conflict, MDNA is a more tuneful and gripping listening experience when compared to what came later with Rebel Heart (2015) and Madame X (2019). A reappraisal of its finer points is definitely in order.

Following the album track vote and in the lead up to the 10th anniversary, I've definitely been in a state of "reappraisal" for 'MDNA'. I'll share some thoughts shortly!

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 24th March 2022, 02:51 PM
Post #45
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54
Apt that it’s a 10 year anniversary as I felt that’s how much of my life has passed by when I listened to it

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post 24th March 2022, 03:28 PM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471
QUOTE(dandy* @ Mar 24 2022, 03:51 PM) *
Apt that it’s a 10 year anniversary as I felt that’s how much of my life has passed by when I listened to it

Scream!

+Quote this post
ChrisJK
post 24th March 2022, 05:44 PM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 122,015
Although it is the only Madonna album that I still haven't bought, when I stream it I think in general it's pretty good.

MDNA > Madame X

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 24th March 2022, 08:59 PM
Post #48
Group icon
Mansonette
Absolutely NOT!!! Madame X is so far ahead of MDNA in practically every department. MDNA is Madge at her absolute most generic, Madame X is Madge writing about things that are important to her again utilising the sounds of the country where she's moved to. Madame X to me is a continuation of Madonna at her best, being brave enough to take on new sounds and cultures and stories.... MDNA is literally nothing, it has no personality, no substance and frankly no point.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 25th March 2022, 11:57 AM
Post #49
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
Yeah, I wouldn't say it begins to compare to Madame X or Rebel Heart on that level. I'd place it firmly above Hard Candy though, that truly was embarrassing for the most part.

It's a bit bandwagon-jumpy (i.e. working with producers when they were popular and then releasing it two years too late like with the previous) and faceless/anonymous but there's enough really good stuff to make it worthwhile - Gang Bang, I'm Addicted, Love Spent, I f***ed Up, Masterpiece, Falling Free wub.gif I even like 'Girl Gone Wild' and 'I Don't Give A' in their trashy glory.

+Quote this post
ChrisJK
post 25th March 2022, 05:19 PM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 122,015
I'm just not a fan on Madame X. I have tried REALLY hard to like it and gave it a good few listens, but apart from Medellin and God Control I really have little interest in it. If I'd listened before, I would never have bought it.

On the flip side, Rebel Heart is one of my favourite Madonna albums.

MDNA is just there, isn't it... but I do love Girl Gone Wild.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 25th March 2022, 08:39 PM
Post #51
Group icon
I think many thought Madame X was better than it was back when it was released. The praise for it here and in other places was crazy but over the years I don't think it's all warranted. It's certainly got insanely good high points but it also has so much filler for me.

Rebel Heart is everything + iamspamspamamisink thrown to the wall and needs finetuning but, partly because I saw the tour live too, it has a special place in my heart. I still love most of it.

MDNA has fun moments but the weak points are shockingly weak and bits of it sound so cheap and dated which is hard to say for many other Madonna albums.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 26th March 2022, 08:03 AM
Post #52
Group icon
Mansonette
I like Rebel Heart too, especially when you cut it down to about 12 tracks

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post 26th March 2022, 09:32 AM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471
QUOTE(Highausakite @ Mar 25 2022, 09:39 PM) *
I think many thought Madame X was better than it was back when it was released. The praise for it here and in other places was crazy but over the years I don't think it's all warranted. It's certainly got insanely good high points but it also has so much filler for me.

Agree with this — I appreciate the effort and thought behind it but it hasn't held up particularly well... I think we were just so starved of Madonna.

If we're being honest she hasn't made a great body of work since Confessions.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 26th March 2022, 09:50 PM
Post #54
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217
Happy 10 years to the MDNA album!
Download/stream it now: https://Madonna.lnk.to/MDNA
Visit Madonna’s official store at 6amPDT/9amEDT/2pmGMT on Monday 28th to pre-order your copy of the limited-edition MDNA Deluxe Holographic Album Sleeve, which will allow you to store and display your copy of the MDNA vinyl album (original album and sleeve are not included) in a holographic sleeve revealing the two artworks created for Madonna’s 12th studio album! https://shop.madonna.com

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 27th March 2022, 01:51 AM
Post #55
Group icon
Ok that sounds AMAZING but does it come with the actual vinyl??? huh.gif

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post 27th March 2022, 04:44 AM
Post #56
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275
MDNA is better than album than most people think imo - that said, it's also the second worst album of hers of this millennium.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 27th March 2022, 01:14 PM
Post #57
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217
QUOTE(Highausakite @ Mar 27 2022, 02:51 AM) *
Ok that sounds AMAZING but does it come with the actual vinyl??? huh.gif

Nope it’s literally just a sleeve for people to insert their already owned copies of MDNA vinyl in it laugh.gif

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 27th March 2022, 01:50 PM
Post #58
Group icon
manson.gif

Oh. What an absolute mess. The vinyl is so hard to get hold of as it is who has time for a sleeve for an unowned vinyl sob.gif

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 28th March 2022, 08:02 PM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Collection of demos from MDNA era:

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 6th May 2022, 02:36 PM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Upon revisiting this album, I've found that Madonna's vocals are actually quite good when you look beyond the pitching, Evita-esque even! It's most obvious on 'Falling Free' and 'Masterpiece', but I can hear it the verses to 'Turn Up the Radio', 'I'm a Sinner', 'Love Spent' and 'Beautiful Killer'. I'd love to hear the raw vocal takes because I bet they didn't need to be nearly as processed as they were. It would certainly help to make Madonna feel more present on the album.

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 01:54 PM