BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> RESULTS: The Best Video Games of the 2010s, what do we recommend
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Iz 🌟
post Jan 4 2020, 09:18 AM
Post #1
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929
   No Gallery Pics

Join me as I go through a list that I recommend you all add whatever looks interesting that you haven't played to whatever wishlists or plan-to-get lists you have.

Gaming is such an extensively time-consuming hobby (and if not done right, expensive) that unlike with music it's unrealistic to expect anyone here to have played even half of these.

With this commentary I'll attempt to alleviate that by posting the genre of each game and what it does right, sometimes from hearsay as I myself haven't played them all, where possible, from experience. So this can be both useful as well as entertaining.

There are 89 games to go through, we decided to allow write-ins in the end, and some of the nominated games got zero points. So those first.

(and thank you to Harry for adding this up)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Jan 4 2020, 12:11 PM
Post #2
   No Gallery Pics

81 Doom (2016) 5
PS4, Xbox 1, Switch, PC, Stadia
Genre: FPS
reboot of the all-time classic, recaptured the spirit of the original for a new era of fighting demonic forces from Hell, that rare beast of a reboot that apparently isn't a soulsucking cashgrab

82 Mario & Sonic At The 2012 Olympic Games 4
Wii/3DS
Genre: Party
I played 2008 so I'm sort of qualified to talk about this one! Um, do sports with dull and embarassing Mario characters and interesting Sonic characters. Sometimes they break reality.

83 Kingdom Hearts III - 3
PS4, Xbox 1
Genre: RPG
that Disney video game that has an anime protagonist for some reason
also despite it being called 'III', that is a horrific LIE, as there have been 9 games in the series since this one and II.
released in 2019 and that somehow seems wrong because years of seeing people talk about Kingdom Hearts II as like the only one that exists have made me think the whole thing is ancient.

84 Friday The 13th 3

Xbox 1, PS4, Switch, PC
Genre: Survival horror
apparently we are letting this one in, Michael
asymmetric multiplayer based on a film which can only end in a lot of blood and gore or something

NIL POINTS
Death Stranding
PS4 (so far)
Genre: postal delivery service
THE game you couldn't not hear about at the end of 2019, probably just too new to make it on to anyone's list, I have heard... 8/10 things, and much about Norman Reedus' urinal movements.

Geometry Dash
iOS, PC
Genre: platformer
a mobile game that sounds like it should be a simple puzzler but is apparently a simple platformer

PilotWings Resort
Nintendo 3DS
Genre: flight simulator
an entry into the Wii Sports Resort cinematic universe because apparently a game could be made that was just the aerial sports from that game

State Of Decay
Xbox 1, PC
Genre: Survival Horror
an allegedly terrifying open-world experience and given it was early in the decade, perhaps a not completely reductive zombie horror game

Super Mario Party
Nintendo Switch
Genre: Party (funnily enough)
apparently good for couch multiplayer, if you have friends, or people who otherwise tolerate your company

+Quote Post
HarryBorelli
post Jan 4 2020, 03:48 PM
Post #3
The Lady Said Go Home!
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 20,835

Surprised Super Mario Party didn't get any votes.

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Jan 5 2020, 07:11 AM
Post #4
rip in peace Dickston
Group: Members
Member No.: 25,045
   No Gallery Pics

Those last two just missed out on votes from me, SoD has a lot of management/strategy elements mixed in with the regular aspects of zombie games too. Managing outposts and other ‘civilisations’ for lack of a better word I remember being quite tricky at times

+Quote Post
diva las vegans
post Jan 5 2020, 11:24 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 12,837
   No Gallery Pics

lmao I nominated Death Stranding but kind of wish I had nominated Planet Zoo or Pokemon Sw/Sh now laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Anita Hanjaab
post Jan 5 2020, 05:02 PM
Post #6
Buffy/Charmed
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

Omg I didn't expect Friday 13th to be so high!!

+Quote Post
Defaze
post Jan 6 2020, 04:58 AM
Post #7
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 17,608
   No Gallery Pics

Okay but Friday the 13th is actually slightly iconic. It's kept me entertained more than any other game the past few years.

+Quote Post
HarryBorelli
post Jan 6 2020, 03:07 PM
Post #8
The Lady Said Go Home!

71 Return Of The Obra-Dinn - 11
MacOS, Windows, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One
Genre: Puzzle
Indie puzzler with a name that sounds like a follow up star wars game or movie.

72 Slay The Spire - 11
Windows, macOS, Linux, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, iOS, Android
Genre: Roguelike, deck-building
Indie roguelike/deck-building game released this year, sounds more like a role-playing game based on the name.

73 Professor Layton And The Last Spectre - 10
Nintendo DS
Genre: Puzzle adventure
More mind-boggling puzzles in the professor Layton series.

74 Final Fantasy XV - 9
PlayStation 4, Xbox One ,Microsoft Windows, Stadia
Genre: Fighting
With an open-world environment and an action role-playing based gameplay, latest in the franchise.

75 Mortal Kombat 11 - 9
Windows, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Stadia
The gory fighting game returns made for you to play solo, with friends or online.

76 The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - 9
Windows, Xbox 360, OS X. Linux
Genre: Action role-playing
Action role-playing with hack + slash elements returns for second game.

77 Assassin's Creed: Odyssey - 8
Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, Stadia
Genre: Action role-playing, Stealth
The latest in the stealth role-playing series this time taking place during the roman empire.

78 Outlast - 8
Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Linux, OS X, Nintendo Switch
Genre: Survival horror
Scary survival horror game which created a buzz online due to scary jumpscares and interesting plot.

79 Destiny 2 - 7
Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Stadia
Genre: First-person shooter
The follow up to destiny 1 but had received better reviews and was favoured more by fans.

80 Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - 6
Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch
Genre: Survival Horror
The famous horror game franchise is back with a vengeance this time being a survival horror game.

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Jan 6 2020, 04:11 PM
Post #9
   No Gallery Pics

Return Of The Obra-Dinn is very high up my wishlist thanks to Dirca's recommendations of it, it sounds like right up my street after I loved Danganronpa and I quite like Papers Please though I haven't completed that one (made by the same guy apparently). Mystery story-driven games are very much my thing lately.

Also if you like any form of dungeon-crawling and/or card gaming then Slay The Spire is a must-have, so fun and easy to get into but v. hard to master.

+Quote Post
Anita Hanjaab
post Jan 6 2020, 05:03 PM
Post #10
Buffy/Charmed
   No Gallery Pics

Final Fantasy XV - 9 
PlayStation 4, Xbox One ,Microsoft Windows, Stadia
With an open-world environment and an action role-playing based gameplay, late

And is absolute TRASH

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Jan 7 2020, 03:56 AM
Post #11
   No Gallery Pics

61 Monument Valley - 14
mobile game
an optical illusion game built upon a maze concept, looks quite pretty

62 Mortal Kombat X - 14
PC, Xbox One, PS4, iOS
in an ideal world I'd have gotten Harry to talk about all of the fighting games but I couldn't split them up properly, this looks like a very ambitious series

63 Assassins Creed: Revelations - 13
PS3, Xbox 360, PC, PS4, Xbox One
Genre: Stealth action
The final installment in the Ezio trilogy of AC, it mainly features an aged Ezio in the streets of Istanbul. Not as great as AC2 or Brotherhood, but still a good point in the franchise before it went into a dark period for a bit. That tower defense minigame was a bit bullshit though.

64 Dead Or Alive 5 - 13
PS3, Xbox 360
a rep from a fighting game series that has an intricate fighting system and plenty of characters to choose from

65 Fifa 11 - 13
all platforms
Genre: kicking a ball about
this is the FIFA we chose, I actually did play this one a little back in the day, but you know what these are and if you're interested or not

66 Hitman 2 - 13
PC, Xbox One, PS4
Genre: Stealth
I know nothing about this but I can imagine you're an assassin who goes through intricate missions to assassinate people.

67 Tropico 4 - 13
PC, Xbox 360
Genre: City Management
So I've played 5 and I expect this is similar, city management simulator as a banana republic island dictator, featuring amusing lines as the characters of your city interact with 'el Presidente'.

68 Driver: San Francisco -13
PS3, Xbox 360, PC, Wii
Genre: Action Racing
So this is a racing game but with a story as well, and also licensed cars for realism

69 Final Fantasy XIII - 12
PS3, Xbox 360, PC
Genre: J-RPG
a fairly modern installment of Final Fantasy that is less modern and Michael-hateable than XV but more advanced than X

70 Forza Horizon - 11
Xbox 360
Genre: Racing
racing game where you can race all kinds of cars and acts as the basic racing game that you play when visiting a friend's house

+Quote Post
Anita Hanjaab
post Jan 7 2020, 03:05 PM
Post #12
Buffy/Charmed
   No Gallery Pics

FF15 is NOT modern. It looks and feels like a ps3 game. It is the worst ff in history.

+Quote Post
Dircadirca
post Jan 7 2020, 05:14 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 19,614
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Iz~ @ Jan 7 2020, 12:11 AM) *
Return Of The Obra-Dinn is very high up my wishlist thanks to Dirca's recommendations of it, it sounds like right up my street after I loved Danganronpa and I quite like Papers Please though I haven't completed that one (made by the same guy apparently). Mystery story-driven games are very much my thing lately.

More than anything else, I wish I could erase my memory of it and play it again, or alternatively I wish I could tell my past self to puzzle it out more (rather than brute force some of the more obtuse sections). More than anything I'm just marveled that exists, because making a cohesive story of a voyage that you can only peer into during death scenes (or stills really), and not have those feel inorganic to the story or repetitive, is perhaps just as impressive as making a functional game around it. I still need to get around to playing Papers Please which is obviously where the hype stemmed from.

+Quote Post
HarryBorelli
post Jan 12 2020, 04:20 PM
Post #14
The Lady Said Go Home!

46 God Of War III- 19
PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4
Genre: Action-adventure, hack and slash
Assume it was this one y'all voted for? The actual god of war came out in 2005.

47 Infamous: Second Son - 19
PlayStation 4
Genre: Action-adventure
PS4 exclusive game. Follows a protagonist who has superpowers.

48 Mortal Kombat - 19
PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PlayStation Vita, Microsoft Windows
Ninth main instalment in the Mortal Kombat series and serves as a reboot of the franchise.

49 Final Fantasy VIII - 18
Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One
Genre: Role-playing
New-gen remaster of 1999 role-playing game,

50 Factorio - 18
Windows, macOS, Linux
Genre: Construction and management simulation, real-time strategy
Another simulation game this time takes place on an alien planet.

51 Baba Is You - 17
Windows. Linux. macOS. Nintendo Switch
Finnish puzzle game. Iz probs know more than me.

52 Super Mario 3D Land - 17
3DS
Genre: Platform
3D Mario fun. First in the 3D Mario game.

53 Enter The Gungeon - 16
Windows, OS X, Linux, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch
Genre: Bullet hell, roguelike
Follows four adventurers as they descend into the Gungeon (a gun-themed dungeon) to find a gun to kill their past

54 Inside - 16
Xbox One, Windows, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, iOS
Genre: Puzzle-platformer, adventure
Dark platformer game. Well received.

55 Parkitect - 16
Windows, macOS, Linux
Genre: Simulation
Want to run your own theme park? With this game you can.

56 Assassin's Creed: Syndicate - 15
PlayStation 4. Xbox One. Windows
Genre: Action-adventure, stealth
Stealth game set in Victorian London with open-world design.

57 Hollow Knight - 15
Windows, macOS, Linux, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One
Genre: Metroidvania
I don't know much about this game other than its an indie game funded via Kickstarter.

58 Shantae: Half-Genie Hero - 15
Windows, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, Wii U, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch
Genre: Platform, Metroidvania
A platformer that was funded via Kickstarter.

59 Assassin's Creed: Origins - 14
Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One
Genre: Action-adventure, stealth
10th major instalment this time taking place in ancient Egypt.

60 Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - 14
Windows, PlayStation 3, Wii, Xbox 360
Genre: First-person shooter
The third instalment in the modern warfare series. Known for great multilayer.

+Quote Post
Dircadirca
post Jan 22 2020, 04:44 AM
Post #15
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 19,614
   No Gallery Pics

The most recent game in the series is also simply called God Of War, so that was correct.

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Jan 22 2020, 07:28 AM
Post #16
   No Gallery Pics

I managed to get to play Baba Is You for the first time on my holiday (my stepbrother has it on his Switch)! It's a really interesting game, all programming centred and based around breaking the game to win. I shall have to look into buying it.

said holiday is why there hasn't been an update on this but I shall return to it very soon.

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Jan 24 2020, 02:17 AM
Post #17
   No Gallery Pics

41 Professor Layton And The Lost Future - 21
Nintendo DS

I don't know much about Layton but it's a long-running puzzle game series (which does interest me but I never had a DS) and this installment got two votes so is at least fairly highly regarded.

42 Undertale - 21
PC, PS4, PS Vita, Switch

Undertale is one of the most influential games of the decade. I've played a little way into it and find the combat a little not to my taste, but it's a very creative environment that has created a huge fandom and stories about its world. The ability to spare or kill monsters and have it affect the game later down is something that's highly valued.

43 Furi - 20
PC, PS4, Xbox 1, Switch

I largely know this indie game because our very own Dircadirca is a speedrunning champion at it. It's an action game based around fighting bosses, dodging their attacks and beating them up.

44 Just Cause 2 - 20
PC, PS3, Xbox 360

The entry in the Just Cause series that I think is generally considered the best, this open world shooter from the start of the decade is a brilliant excuse to blow stuff up, race around and evade the soldiers of a dictatorial regime on a small Pacific island. While being able to pull parachutes out of the ether and glide whereever you feel like. Probably the shooter I've played most this decade because it's so relaxing.

45 The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - 20

PC, PS4, Xbox 1, Switch
Genre: RPG

Un-nominated until Harve did a write-in, and I mean, it was quite an oversight, so it might have been higher in any other ranking but this is one of the most acclaimed and beloved games of the decade, a smash hit after the previous 2 Witcher games were smaller if still successful hits, I look forward to getting into it years from now. Or shortly after I get around to watching the now also very popular TV series.

+Quote Post
HarryBorelli
post Jan 29 2020, 12:32 AM
Post #18
The Lady Said Go Home!

36. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward - 24
Nintendo 3DS, PlayStation Vita, PlayStation 4, Microsoft Windows

A 2012 adventure which animation on the cover looks straight out of an anime. Probably looks different in-game.

37. Call of Duty: Black Ops - 23
Microsoft Windows, Nintendo DS, PlayStation 3, Wii, Xbox 360, OS X

Next up is another and last COD of our countdown. Mainly known for its addictive zombie's mode. It also received praise for its story mode even if not for its actual multiplayer mode (I personally enjoyed it).

38. Stellaris - 23
Windows, OS X, Linux, PlayStation 4, Xbox One

Stellaris is a 4X grand strategy video game much like the civilisation series I imagine. Stellaris's gameplay revolves around "space exploration, managing an empire, diplomacy, and space warfare with other spacefaring civilizations".

39. Celeste - 22
Linux, macOS, Microsoft Windows, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One.

Next up is another platformer, this, however, was released in 2018 by Canadian developers. In Celeste, you control a girl named Madeline as she makes her way up a mountain.

40. Limbo - 22
Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Microsoft Windows, OS X, Linux, Xbox One, PlayStation 4. PlayStation Vita, Nintendo Switch, iOS, Android

Stating off the top 40 is a dark-themed indie puzzle-platform game, that incorporates a 2D side-scroller to have a "physics system" between the in-game objects and the playable character.

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Jan 29 2020, 01:39 AM
Post #19
   No Gallery Pics

Zero Escape does look anime, in the same way that Final Fantasy or Persona look anime - it's basically a story-driven puzzle game where you are progressively trapped in rooms and have to figure out logic to get out. Great story, at least for 999, I'm in the middle of Virtue's Last Reward right now.

Even I have praise for Black Ops' story, that's the one COD I don't have on Steam that I wouldn't mind buying again just for that.

Stellaris is great for telling a story about your spacefaring empire, and playing out Star Trek fantasies, need to play it again.

Celeste I've started playing recently and it's really HARD because there are spikes everywhere and it's very easy to hit the controls wrong and fail but because of a system where if you die you get reset extraordinarily quickly, it's very easy to keep going and when you finally make it past a hard section it feels so good <3

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Jan 30 2020, 04:32 AM
Post #20
   No Gallery Pics

31 The Legend Of Zelda: Link's Awakening - 26
Nintendo Switch

A 2019 remake of the classic 1993 game, this is a followup to the successful Breath Of The Wild, but it isn't a direct sequel, as it is a remake. It has a retro-modern style in its designs that suit its longer history, it also makes some of the 2D environments of the original 3D. Always nice seeing elements of gaming history preserved for use on new consoles x

32 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -26
PC, PS3, Xbox 360, PS4, Xbox One, your handheld console, your phone, your watch, your fridge

Skyrim I'd probably count among, if not THE most known video game of the 2010s, I'd imagine its opening scene and the memes that came from it are as well known as a popular movie, and nearly everyone's at least played a little bit of its quests, though few have played it all of the way, and you might have just been inclined to put buckets on shopkeepers' heads instead. But then those type of people don't get to the Cloud District very often.

It is fun specialising throughout it, my eternal run that I play once every few months and then forget about it is this conjuration focused mage who creates swords in homage to the UBW fighting style of eternal blades from nothingness.

33 Marvel's Spiderman - 25
PS4

Another PS4 exclusive, this time a recent one that entered the minefield of licensed video games, while they can be incredibly good, they carry a risk of being bad or eventually becoming inaccessible as studios lose the rights to them. This one is about Spiderman and gives you his ability to swing around his city while protecting it. From all accounts sounds fun in the same way that the Batman: Arkham games are fun, lots of city traversal as a superhero.

34 The Binding Of Isaac: Rebirth - 24
PC, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, 3DS

One of the most influential games of the decade I think has got to be The Binding Of Isaac, it set the stage for indie roguelikes that make up a very large portion of the industry outside of triple-A games. Rebirth is the remake released a few years after the original flash game that is an improvement in every way, a better engine, more items and even more combinations in the intentionally disgusting world of infant neglect and irreverent religious and spiritual references that make up most of the game's items.

It's a very hard game but one I've found a lot of fun in trying to master, and the fact that doing better unlocks better items gives it a sense of progression even when you fail that few roguelikes can match.

35 Horizon: Zero Dawn - 24
PS4

A new intellectual property RPG for once! I haven't played this and due to exclusivity am unlikely to but the survival aspect of keeping alive in a hostile world overrun by machines at least SOUNDS on paper rather good.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:03 AM