BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> RESULTS: The Best Video Games of the 2010s, what do we recommend
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Iz 🌟
post Jan 31 2020, 02:20 PM
Post #21
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

26 Final Fantasy VII - 35
PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, iOS

This refers to the apparent UPCOMING 2020 PS4 remaster actually goddamnit Meekul, you know I don't pay enough attention to FF to know these things, though to be fair, it was released for all the modern platforms in the last ten years under its original version so... I do quite like FFX and will resume playing it at some point. Anyway, this is FFVII, the original of which first appeared in 1997 as the 4th FF released outside of Japan. It's about a lot of eco-terrorists up against a megacorporation story-wise so on a political level, I approve x Otherwise, some very well-regarded JRPG stuff.

27 Pokemon: X&Y - 35
Nintendo 3DS

The 2013 installment of Pokémon games, coming after Black 2 & White 2 but before Sun and Moon. I have never played any Pokémon games aside from some of FireRed/LeafGreen through an emulator, so I don't know if I'm the best person to talk to about how this generation of games is different than those that preceded and succeeded it. Apparently this region, Kalos, was based on France, makes a bit of sense given the Sword & Shield place is based on England IIRC. X & Y was also the first one to use 3D models, so that's when they started looking properly modern.

28 Stardew Valley - 32
PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, iOS

Stardew Valley is an incredibly relaxing game for anyone who wants to open a farm and use games as a way of winding down rather than a punishing skill-test. It's something I should play more of, I enjoy what I have done with it a lot, just slowly getting used to the game's crafting system at my own pace, introducing myself to the villagers at my own pace, exploring the dungeon at my own pace, yes all video games are done at your own pace but this is certainly a video game that FEELS it.

Plus I'm definitely romancing Abigail when I properly start choosing a character, I feel we have a bond. As soon as I've grown a village-load of potatoes.

29 Hearthstone - 28
PC, iOS, Android

I got rather into Hearthstone a lot last year, and though I've stopped playing it the last few months, for a period of about 12 months I was playing it near every day. One of the most popular trading card online games, based on the Warcraft Universe, it's very flashy and popular, and because of a large number of card interactions, each time you play it, different card interactions can happen, quite often stuff with unintended consequences that are perfect for highlight reels (just search up Trolden's Hearthstone Top Moments on YT to see some examples).

It requires quite a bit of attention to do well as a free player and with little to progress outside of the ranks I gave it up but there are some rather interesting game modes, if you've ever wanted to play a collectible card game, this is a fairly good one. Though for the interests of fairness I should also recommend Shadowverse and Magic: The Gathering Arena as those aren't run by greedy f***s like Blizzard...

30 Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair - 27

PC, PS4, PS Vita

So I nominated this as number 2 because I think it is the best installment, but me and Dirca, who voted for this, were both I believe voting this pretty much with the endorsement of all the Danganronpa games, all of which came out this decade and are similar to each other, the main difference is the story they tell. As the series relies heavily on keeping its spoilers secret for shock value, the premise is that these games are murder mystery games, each time trapping 16 teenagers in an enclosed space, where they must kill one of the others and get away with it in order to be able to leave. I was ENGROSSED in these last year, figuring out how the murders happen from the clues you're given is so much fun, as is the panic that sets in when you're reading the story and you feel like a death is coming up but you have no idea how it's going to happen.

Goodbye Despair is the best I think because this set of characters gels so well and it's set in a rather aesthetically pleasing tropical island.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post Jan 31 2020, 04:19 PM
Post #22
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835
I need to hey stardew valley so bad *.*

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Feb 1 2020, 02:03 AM
Post #23
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
Anyone who even vaguely likes platformers NEEDS to check out Shantae wub.gif

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post Feb 6 2020, 03:35 PM
Post #24
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!

21. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception - 40
PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4.

DADDY DRAKE time. Yes, our sexy explorer's first of two entries come in the form of the third game in the Uncharted series. The 2011 game was originally released on just on PS3 but later made it to PS4 as part of the collection of the first 3 games. The single-player story mode follows "Nathan Drake, who partners with his mentor Victor Sullivan as they search for the legendary lost city the Iram of the Pillars, whilst competing with a mercenary group led by Sullivan's former employer, Katherine Marlowe.". Bow to king daddy Drake.

22. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - 39
PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, PlayStation 4 & Xbox One.

The first Assassin's Creed released in the 2010 era and third overall. Brotherhood takes place in 16th century Italy as you play through an open-world third-person perspective game. You have to master stealth in this game, it's the key component, that's why brotherhood did better than later games in its franchise. It had better story and characters I even think I have my 360 copy somewhere, oops. The game was a massive success so much so it was re-released onto new-gen consoles.

23. Crusader Kings II - 38
Microsoft Windows, OS X, Linux.

Now I'm going, to be honest, I don't know much about this game beyond the title. However, from a wiki browse, Crusader Kings II is a grand strategy game set in the Middle Ages. Released in 2010 by Paradox Development Studio and sold over 1M copies. "Through the strategic use of war, marriages and assassinations among many other things, the player works to achieve success for their dynasty." - that sums up the game well tbh, a strat game where you want to lead a powerful dynasty. Fun fact; the sequel is said to come out this year, only 10 years after.

24. Minecraft - 37
Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, Xbox 360, Raspberry Pi, Windows Phone, PlayStation 3, Fire OS, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation Vita, Universal Windows Platform, Wii U, tvOS, Nintendo Switch, New Nintendo 3DS.

Aww man, Minecraft finishes 24th. Not bad for the classic block game. Released fully in 2010, the game has gone on to achieve worldwide success despite originally being an indie game. What I love about is how peaceful it can be and that it constantly gets updated, the new 1.16 nether has just begun rolling out, for example. It can even be modded if you so wish. It's basically also on most gaming consoles & devices, which is very cool. So grab your pickaxes and head to the mines, just watch out for skellies & creepers.

25. Until Dawn - 36
PS4.

A chose your fate/interactive kind of horror game where even failing to complete quick time events could kill a character off, so be careful. The story is set when a group of teens go to a cabin one year after their friends go missing after a prank goes wrong. So horror cliche aside - it is actually an interesting concept for a game and despite a few questionable dialogue parts, you do actually do end up caring about the characters. Yes, even the bitch that is Emily [see pictured]. You actually want them to survive ~Until Dawn~ ohmy.gif. It also stars Hayden Panettiere & Rami Malek, who are amazing so bonus.

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post Feb 7 2020, 03:58 PM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 12,837
Until Dawn and Uncharted 3 are amazing! <3

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Feb 11 2020, 11:14 AM
Post #26
Group icon

19 Pokemon: Black & White - 43
Nintendo DS

Black & White take Pokémon fans to Unova, which is where Generation V starts and is apparently based on New York City. It is a bit of bad luck I seem to be getting all of the Pokémon games but I feel like this was a good installment from what I've heard, its high placing as the second-highest Pokémon game on this list are good indications for that.

This is the generation that introduced Triple Battles, Rotation Battles and a number of more cute Pokémon. I think Tepig looks pretty cute just looking at the starters.

20 Sid Meier's Civilization VI - 42
PC, Switch, PS4, Xbox One

The latest installment of the well beloved Civilization series came out in the middle of this decade, with Christopher Tin returning to the main series to provide the greatest possible successor to 'Baba Yetu', Sogno Di Volare at the title screen. Building on the work done in Civ V, which is still to come, Civ VI differentiated the civilizations still further, providing leader bonuses to Theodore Roosevelt or Victoria or Gandhi or whoever, and also giving a bonus to the civilization you're playing, so an India playing as Gandhi will be different from one led by Chandragupta. Despite the art style looking like its taken some rather cursed inspiration from Clash Of Clans, Civ VI is a promising future for the franchise to develop in, as the gameplay improvements from Civ V are more in the style of aping successful concepts from Paradox games like 'casus belli'

As with all of the Civs, you're leading one country or famous people group throughout the ages of civilization, from the Agricultural revolution to the modern day, fighting off your neighbours, outpacing them in science or culture, or, in this one, dominating them with your religion. As I've only played the base game so far, there's a lot of depth in the expansions I haven't tried out yet, but I most certainly will in the future, I will be eventually very interested in a Civilization where it doesn't feel like I know every part of the meta.

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post Feb 11 2020, 11:42 AM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
I'm so stoked to see Cities: Skylines get this high!!

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post Feb 18 2020, 01:40 PM
Post #28
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!

17. Persona 5 - 48
PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4

A role-playing game released in 2016 and 6th in series. The game "takes place in modern-day Tokyo and follows Joker after his transfer to Shujin Academy due to being put on probation for an assault of which he was falsely accused". Ngl this game sounds pretty cool from that description and artwork. Maybe someone can shed a better light than I can.

18. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 43
Nintendo Switch

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is a fighting game which crosses over many of the Nintendo canon. Including franchises like; Super Mario, Metroid, Pokemon & Fire Emblem having characters within this game. It was praised for it's "Amount of content and fine-tuning of existing Smash gameplay elements". I own this switch game and as my 1st smash bros game I am confused for its gameplay but it is my 1st game so bound to be confused.

+Quote this post
Harve
post Feb 19 2020, 09:35 PM
Post #29
Group icon
Cśur poids plume
User: 4,718
I thought Stardew Valley was boring when I tried it a couple of years ago, but I picked it up again recently, got a bit further this time and realised its beauty. It's a surprisingly depressing game! Yikes @ some of the cutscenes!

Also Civ VI with all DLCs >>> Civ V with all DLCs.

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post Feb 20 2020, 12:41 AM
Post #30
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
QUOTE(Harve @ Feb 19 2020, 09:35 PM) *
I thought Stardew Valley was boring when I tried it a couple of years ago, but I picked it up again recently, got a bit further this time and realised its beauty. It's a surprisingly depressing game! Yikes @ some of the cutscenes!

Mainly some of Shane's story in the game

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Feb 20 2020, 02:30 PM
Post #31
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
Persona 5 is probably the best game I've ever played, such a unique and amazing mix of the social simulation elements and RPG action, plus of course the lushhh art style wub.gif It's such a long game, took me about 105 hours, but there's always enough of a balance so you don't get bored of either the social side or the RPG adventure.

+Quote this post
Harve
post Feb 25 2020, 09:33 PM
Post #32
Group icon
Cśur poids plume
User: 4,718
QUOTE(HarryEzra @ Feb 20 2020, 01:41 AM) *
Mainly some of Shane's story in the game

Yesss, when I randomly came across one of those cutscenes in particular I was like 'yikes this game ain't so idyllic anymore'.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Feb 26 2020, 01:19 AM
Post #33
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639
QUOTE(Harve @ Feb 19 2020, 09:35 PM) *

Also Civ VI with all DLCs >>> Civ V with all DLCs.

GROSSSSSS.

Civ VI is one of the worst strategy games I have ever had rhe misfortune of playing. Utter trash. Stick with IV and V.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Feb 26 2020, 04:23 PM
Post #34
Group icon

15 Super Mario Odyssey - 51
Nintendo Switch

It feels like there have been a lot of Mario games so far. This is a standard brand Super Mario game in the usual save the Princess from Bowser style. Apparently this one also features a sentient hat, so there you go. Anyway, story is going to be a load of fluff as per, apparently the gameplay is really good, this sold incredibly well and is the essential Mario game associated with the Switch, so a good finish for htat.

16 The Last Of Us - 50
PS3, PS4

Notable to me as a new critically acclaimed intellectual property, I've seen The Last Of Us been called revolutionary, and I've also seen it be called overrated. Interestingly enough I've sort of instinctively avoided spoilers for this game in spite of the fact that due to not owning a Playstation I'll likely never play it. It's the done thing in my mind, you see that it's about a zombie apocalypse and assume people will die so I skim over the plot sections.

In any case its stance as a survival horror game does make it seem very interesting. I imagine if you are the sort of person who enjoys melodrama and staying unnoticed in games (I definitely enjoy the latter, and don't have enough good stealth games on my list) or just staying alive against all odds. I'll just get on my soapbox and say these are very hard to get right, a top 20 spot for this means it likely did.

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post Mar 2 2020, 05:18 AM
Post #35
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
I wanna get them two games so bad!

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Mar 6 2020, 05:58 PM
Post #36
Group icon

13. Pokemon: Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire- 53 points
Nintendo 3DS

Leading off a double of games that are really remakes, we have Pokemon's catchup remakes of games that were a couple of generations ago. So in effect, both games in this section are actually from 2001/2. But Omega and Alpha were Gen 6 remakes of the original Gen 3 games, taking place on Hoenn, which is the Pokemon version of Kyushu. The normal thing of catch all Pokemon, beat the um... gym leaders, but very highly rated, perhaps for nostalgia purposes, as this is the highest-finishing Pokemon game in this ranking.

14. Final Fantasy X HD - 52 points
Rerelease on all platforms

This is the only Final Fantasy I have played, with its re-release coming to PC recently last year. I'll tell you where I've gotten so far, I got past the prologue and some way into the first mission and haven't loaded up the game in a few months. So that's questionable as to whether I have 'played' it. I tend to do this a lot with JRPGs, they have a long-ass intro that I sit through and then the first proper gameplay loops come up and I don't quite get it and quit until I find a good reason to go back to them. The reason might be that it's taking up the most hard drive space of any game currently on my computer. But Final Fantasy X is a well-regarded classic that I'm sure I'll eventually come to love, it's set in a good fantasy world of Spira, an ocean-y place apparently influenced by the South Pacific. It's pretty beautiful.

again I forgot why we let the remasters in because they really are technically 2000s games but OH WELL

+Quote this post
Dircadirca
post Mar 9 2020, 04:35 PM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 19,614
Remakes are a curious thing. I left them off my vote just because it didn't feel in the spirit of the 2010s, but a lot of the time, they really are the best way to experience a game. I could never play the N64 Zelda games now when I have the 3DS remakes updating so much outdated game design (same with FFX's remaster too actually, once you've had fast forward you can never go back to a time without it). It's interesting too because there's such a spectrum of remakes. You can have glorified ports, or stuff that is so re-built from the ground up that it's effectively a new experience (and conversely, some original games are very much lacking in new assets/code) laugh.gif I mainly appreciate it though when it improves accessibility. I'd have never played Katamari or Ace Attorney if not for being only slightly brushed up, but put on platforms where I could buy them.

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post Mar 13 2020, 05:08 PM
Post #38
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!

11. Crash Bandicoot N'Sane Trilogy - 55
PlayStation 4, Microsoft Windows, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One.

Whether you like playing the game normally, building houses, spending the motherland and use chats or to even just like killing off your sims (we have all done the pool death trick). The sims is legit the game for everyone and I stand by that. This year The Sims reached 20 years and we are still only in sims 4. The game came out in 2014 and multiple expansion packs, game packs, stuff packs and free updates galore across the 6 years. The sims 4 seems to still be going strong and it's no surprise to see it do so well in the countdown. I've been a fan since sims 2 and I'm so happy to see this game thrive.

12. The Sims 4 - 55
Microsoft Windows, macOS, PlayStation 4, Xbox One.

Whether you like playing the game normally, building houses, spending the motherland and use chats or to even just like killing off your sims (we have all done the pool death trick). The sims is legit the game for everyone and I stand by that. This year The Sims reached 20 years and we are still only in sims 4. The game came out in 2014 and multiple expansion packs, game packs, stuff packs and free updates galore across the 6 years. The sims 4 seems to still be going strong and it's no surprise to see it do so well in the countdown. I've been a fan since sims 2 and I'm so happy to see this game thrive.

Alphabetically the top 10 is:

- Cities: Skylines
- Civilisation V
- Europa Universalis IV
- Grand Theft Auto V
- Mario Kart 8
- Portal 2
- Rocket League
- Spyro Reignited Trilogy
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post Mar 13 2020, 06:11 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
C:S in the top 10 omg this makes me so happy!!

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Mar 15 2020, 06:49 PM
Post #40
Group icon
OMG we're actually into the top 10 what a miracle

10 Europa Universalis IV - 57 points (least voters)
PC

EUIV received points from only 3 voters to make it into the top 10, and it did so because all 3 had it in their top 3. If you like this type of game, you REALLY like EUIV.

If you aren't familiar it is essentially historical simulation Risk, starting in 1444, at a time in history where most of Europe was either beginning to look west across the then uncharted waters of the Atlantic, or East with the rising Ottoman Empire displacing the last of the Romans. You can play as any nation and lead them all the way to 1821, doing whatever you like with them in the process. Want to make Serbia into Greater Yugoslavia or even the king of all Slavs? Want to restore the Roman Empire as the beleagured Byzantines? Want to lead the way in exploration as the Portuguese navigators, or play as a less advanced New World nation or fend off the invaders? You can do all of that, or look at the achievement list which has plenty of puns and creative campaign ideas to get you started. Then create your own colonial empire, relive oppression and give some "harsh treatment" to the rebels.

I think this is probably a game I could legitimately call myself an expert in given how long and how often I've played it. There's not much that'll faze me if I've made Africa the most advanced nation ahead of Europe (I can't create credit for the featured image, that's just a meme, but my most recent campaign has had me lead Kongo to basically holding the same territory). It has many myriad systems but I think it's pretty straightforward to pick up and master, as far as Paradox games go. It's extremely good and I recommend it to all who enjoy painting maps.

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:34 PM