BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The Kid LAROI - F*CK LOVE, Mixtape | F*CK LOVE 3+ (OVER YOU) out now, includes STAY
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
JosephBoone
post Jul 31 2020, 09:45 PM
Post #1
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

Best known for a couple of Juice WRLD collaborations, 16 year old Australian singer/rapper The Kid LAROI released his debut album (or mixtape?) last week, and it's debuted at #12 in the UK with an expected top 10 debut coming in the US.

It's not often I'll listen to a hip-hop album but I ended up listening to this almost accidentally last night after initially only checking out GO laugh.gif and I made a brilliant discovery! His vocals are pretty unique and perhaps jarring at first, but a couple of plays in and it was no longer any sort of issue for me. GO is a strong track but my favourite is NEED YOU MOST (So Sick), which, as you can tell from the title, is a Ne-Yo sample *_* it works surprisingly well and I've barely stopped playing it today!

In fact, on the whole, the slower, more reflective moments are where he really shines. TELL ME WHY is apparently about his grief over his friend and mentor Juice WRLD, and SAME THING is another great track. Of the two other collabs, the Lil Mosey track is strong too!

1 BOOTY CALL (skit)
2 MAYBE
3 WRONG (feat. Lil Mosey)
4 I WISH
5 NOT FAIR (feat. Corbin)
6 BATHROOM (skit)
7 GO (The Kid LAROI & Juice WRLD)
8 TELL ME WHY
9 SAME THING
10 NEW GUY (skit)
11 ERASE U
12 RUNNING
13 WISH YOU WELL (skit)
14 NEED YOU MOST (So Sick)
15 SELFISH

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Aug 7 2020, 12:57 PM
Post #2
Group icon
New video for SELFISH out now!

The way it felt like a pretty standard video until the music pauses halfway through and it suddenly escalates laugh.gif very good! LOVE the song too, my third favourite on the album after NEED YOU MOST and GO. This is already my most played album of 2020 tearsmile.gif heart.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Sep 28 2020, 08:36 PM
Post #3
Group icon

With a little help from TikTok I think this could be a big hit? Not sure it'll actually happen but the potential's there! Video's really good (if we ignore the director xx) and enjoying the song more than ever right now.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Nov 5 2020, 04:35 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Deluxe version of the album out tomorrow, called F*CK LOVE (SAVAGE), following on from the lyrics of SELFISH ("now imma be savage, but you made it happen").

There’s no need to read between the lines when it comes to The Kid LAROI’s debut mixtape—the title says it all. Across the 11 tracks and four phone-call skits from its original release, and the seven new tracks on this deluxe version, the Sydney-born hip-hop artist details the messy breakdown of a destructive relationship that, frankly, didn’t sound too great to start with. The rapper and singer has taken musical cues from artists like the late Juice WRLD (who guests on “GO”) and Post Malone, blending smoky late-night beats with husky melodies and emotionally open lyrics that touch on heartbreak, loneliness and, ultimately, being every bit as flawed as those around him. “I’m not too good at admitting when I f*** up/But maybe it’s you who can save me/I’ve got love for you but I hate me,” the 17-year-old sings on “MAYBE”. On “SAME THING”, he’s aware that his partner lies and sneaks around behind his back, but admits: “I can’t be mad at you, ’cause I do the same things.” More than just a breakup album, though, it’s one that reveals deeply painful experiences he’s already lived through. He doesn’t hold back on “TELL ME WHY”, singing, “I can’t count all the tears I cried, so many sleepless nights/Watched all of my idols die, right in front of my eyes.”

The tracks added to the SAVAGE version, just over three months after the original release, add more layers to both story and sound. On “SO DONE”, LAROI explores his inner resolve, singing, “Okay, I realise now that everything I did was wrong… Okay, I realise now that maybe I’m not ready for love,” over a warm ukulele reggae rhythm. “FEEL SOMETHING”, featuring Marshmello, and “WITHOUT YOU” are tender piano- and guitar-led tracks, respectively, in which he admits to feeling lost and being difficult to love. Meanwhile, YoungBoy Never Broke Again guests on “TRAGIC”, a sweet reflection on success, haters and the friends they’ve lost along the way, and Machine Gun Kelly appears on “F*CK YOU, GOODBYE”, a bouncy middle-fingers-in-the-air farewell—the title says it all.

Still my album of the year so I am extremely excited to hear the new songs. SO DONE came out a couple of weeks ago and it's another great song!

CD1 (SAVAGE)
1 PIKACHU
2 SO DONE
3 TRAGIC (feat. YoungBoy Never Broke Again & Internet Money)
4 ALWAYS DO
5 FEEL SOMETHING (feat. Marshmello)
6 F*CK YOU, GOODBYE (feat. Machine Gun Kelly)
7 WITHOUT YOU

CD2 (F*CK LOVE)
1 BOOTY CALL (skit)
2 MAYBE
3 WRONG (feat. Lil Mosey)
4 I WISH
5 NOT FAIR (feat. Corbin)
6 BATHROOM (skit)
7 GO (The Kid LAROI & Juice WRLD)
8 TELL ME WHY
9 SAME THING
10 NEW GUY (skit)
11 ERASE U
12 RUNNING
13 WISH YOU WELL (skit)
14 NEED YOU MOST (So Sick)
15 SELFISH

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Nov 8 2020, 09:30 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Spent a few days with the new tracks now, wasn't sure I'd love them as much as the main album but I really do laugh.gif May as well do a full album rank, and I've bolded the 7 "SAVAGE" tracks:

1 NEED YOU MOST (So Sick)
2 SELFISH
3 SO DONE
4 GO
5 ALWAYS DO
6 TELL ME WHY
7 WRONG
8 WITHOUT YOU
9 F*CK YOU, GOODBYE
10 FEEL SOMETHING

11 SAME THING
12 I WISH
13 RUNNING
14 MAYBE
15 PIKACHU
16 ERASE U
17 NOT FAIR
18 TRAGIC

TRAGIC is still pretty good though, what an album heart.gif All the new ones have potential to get higher, ALWAYS DO quite notably, really loving that at the moment.

Music video for ALWAYS DO is out now too:

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Dec 4 2020, 11:41 PM
Post #6
Group icon
WITHOUT YOU is blowing up hugely on all platforms - #15 on Spotify if you take ACR into account ohmy.gif

I'm not surprised this could be his major breakthrough moment, it feels like it has wide appeal and it's one of his most raw songs emotionally. SO here for it becoming his first top 40, as a minimum!

+Quote this post
Dircadirca
post Dec 5 2020, 05:42 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 19,614
It's nice seeing an Indigenous artist taking off internationally (Nathan from Hi-5 is the only other person I can think of who's managed to chart in the UK). He's got a great ear for hooks.

+Quote this post
-0-0
post Dec 5 2020, 07:35 PM
Post #8
Group icon
🙄
User: 10,643
Well isn’t this a surprising album of the year contender, I came across this after hearing without you and being told to from Joseph

08 Pikachu
10 So Done
07 Tragic
09 Always Do
08 Feel Something
10 f*** YOU GOODBYE
11 Without You
06. Maybe
07. Wrong
08. I Wish
09. NOT FAIR
07. GO
10. Tell Me Why
08. Same Thing
08. Erase You
07. Running
10. Wish You Well
07. Selfish

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Dec 5 2020, 07:45 PM
Post #9
Group icon
wub.gif so glad you enjoyed Lee! This album's truly defined the second half of the year for me and the new songs only further enhance it. My updated album rank now I've had the new songs for a few weeks:

1 NEED YOU MOST (So Sick)
2 SELFISH
3 SO DONE
4 ALWAYS DO
5 GO
6 WITHOUT YOU
7 TELL ME WHY
8 WRONG
9 FEEL SOMETHING
10 F*CK YOU, GOODBYE
11 TRAGIC
12 I WISH
13 SAME THING
14 PIKACHU
15 RUNNING
16 MAYBE
17 ERASE U
18 NOT FAIR

TRAGIC in particular became such an earworm! The entire top 11 here have been top 10s in my chart, while the top 14 have all made my top 20 (and every song my top 40).

+Quote this post
Brer
post Dec 5 2020, 11:39 PM
Post #10
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
I am still waiting for a song from him that I really love but he definitely has the potential to get there I think as he does channel heavy Juice WRLD/Post Malone vibes. 'GO' and 'ALWAYS DO' are my faves from him so far (excluding his feature on Juice's 'Hate The Other Side') but most of his singles have been pretty consistently enjoyable, I can see 'WITHOUT YOU' proving to be a grower as it takes off more in the charts as well. x

+Quote this post
-0-0
post Dec 19 2020, 09:13 AM
Post #11
Group icon
🙄
User: 10,643
Without You is #2 on TTH

They really need to pull the plug on So Done (Which ofc i'm sad about) and put Without You as their main push as it could potentially be #1 next year, especially before the tiktok impact stops.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Dec 19 2020, 10:43 AM
Post #12
Group icon
I'm glad there's TTH support for it now! Shame the timing's been pretty terrible with SO DONE only impacting US radio a week or two ago drama.gif but perhaps he could have two consecutive top 40s when the Christmas songs fade?

Video for WITHOUT YOU came out during the week!

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post Dec 20 2020, 05:59 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223
Without You is a bop, I wouldn't mind it going to #1 but with Ed releasing that seems unlikely now but I imagine it'll still be a big Top 5 hit which is great for a new artist!

I really didn't think he was so young when I first heard of him also laugh.gif Voice doesn't match whatever I imagined him to look like at all.

+Quote this post
shadow2009
post Dec 21 2020, 11:28 AM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,059
Any reason why all his songs are in capital letters?

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Dec 21 2020, 11:44 AM
Post #15
Group icon
QUOTE(shadow2009 @ Dec 21 2020, 11:28 AM) *
Any reason why all his songs are in capital letters?

No, is it an issue? tongue.gif

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Jan 3 2021, 09:17 PM
Post #16
Group icon
User: 13,007
What started out as "let me listen to this to keep Seph quiet xx" has turned into a real love of the album. There are so many moments on it!

My favourite by far is "WRONG" with Lil Mosey - it reminds me of Childish Gambino's '3005' and is just insanely catchy and infectious. But yeah, the whole album is a great album, if a tab VERY LONG when listening from start to end.

+Quote this post
Tombo
post Jan 23 2021, 06:50 AM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,543
I’ve really been enjoying his songs that are in the chart so I will definitely check the whole album out

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Feb 10 2021, 11:05 PM
Post #18
Group icon
WITHOUT YOU is still slaying the charts but The Kid LAROI is teasing his first (proper) studio album, and has now confirmed next week for new music. He's been spotted filming a video with 24kGoldn and Lil Tecca, so they're likely collaborators either on the first single or another track on the project (he filmed numerous videos for the F*CK LOVE era).

HOW DOES NEXT WEEEEEK SOUND? :)

Cannot WAIT :cheeseblock:

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Feb 15 2021, 04:05 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Still Chose You seems to be the single, and he's teased it a few times already. Preview below:

Notably happier in tone than anything from F*CK LOVE laugh.gif makes sense as he's in a relationship at the moment.

He's also confirmed that fan favourite unreleased track Stay will be coming out at some point, and a collaboration with Justin Bieber is in the works! ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
All★bySmashMouth
post Feb 16 2021, 02:46 AM
Post #20
Group icon
former insolent era FM11
Pronouns: he
User: 7,795
F LOVE felt more like his first album than a mixtape... anyway, more LAROI music I don't mind.

+Quote this post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:15 AM