BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Underrated Actors/Actresses
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Regina
post Oct 10 2015, 08:18 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572
I don't recall ever seeing a thread like this, so soz if there is and I missed it. Basically, this idea came about when I was watching Snowpiercer and being amazed by Chris Evans and feeling that he does not get enough recognition for his talents as an actor. He is known for superheor movies and that really awful Teen Movie thing and let's be honest, they don't require much talent, but when he does more serious stuff, he is brilliant and totally captivating.

So, are there any other ones out there you feel get overlooked in terms of other big names?

For me, aside from Chris;

Hilary Swank - this might be a bit silly and a bit odd since she has two Oscars, but I just feel she doesn't get mentioned nearly enough and her movies don't often get a whole load of buzz. For example, You're Not You was one of my favourite movies from 2014 but the only reason I came across it was because Netflix recommended it to me. I feel like she deserved some kind of awards buzz for it. Hilary is brilliant in everything I've seen her in, can handle drama and comedy easily and can carry a movie just as well as someone like Meryl. I also firmly believe P.S I Love You is amazing even though it differs from the book.

Ben Foster - Not gonna lie, I took an interest in him because of his abs in X-Men The Last Stand. He was a decent Angel tbh, he has nothing much to work with in terms of script and was in like, 3 scenea, but still. I've seen a fair amount of praise for him as an actor from critics but he doesn't really have anything in the way of awards recognition and hardly anyone I know has any clue who he is, which is a shame. I've seen a few of his movies and he always steals the scenes he's in. Most of his movies are the kind that wouldn't hold my interest but because he's been in them, I manage to stick them out. 360 (a fairly decent if slightly dull movie that I think is on Netlix) is probably my favourite. Despite him playing a convicted felon with sex charges, you can't help but have a lot of sympathy for him and will him on as you see his section in the movie. This is down to good writing yes, but mainly in part to the way he portrays his character. He isn't all that in your face, he's kinda subtle but so effective. It helps that he's hawt too. I really hope he gets more lead roles and eventually gets some kind of proper recognition and praise for his skills because he is fast becoming one of my favourite actors.

Jennifer Lopez - I will admit I am hugely biased when it comes to J-Lo, but I can still seperate my loonism to focus on her abilities. She might not be in the same league as Meryl or other big shots, but she is a far better actress than people give her credit for, in the same way she is a better singer too. She is a naturally funny person whenever you see her in interviews and I think this comes across in her more light hearted movies. I always get a sense of comfort seeing some of them, like The Back-Up Plan or Monster in Law. You know you can sit down to an enjoyable movie. She also really excells in dramatic roles. Granted, The Boy Next Door is a bit OTT in terms of plot, but Jenny really gives a convincing performance and I really think Enough is her best role ever. It grips you from start to finish and she manages to show the progression of scared and battered woman to confident and strong woman to perfection.

Those are the main ones for me, but some other ones (the ones I can't be bothered to go into a whole paragraph about)

Jeremy Renner - Biased again, but he really shoulda won for The Hurt Locker. He looks like a tough guy but he conveys emotion so brilliantly, especially in 12 & Holding. He also is SO good at being scary and chilling like in Dahmer. I normally hate films like that, but love Dahmer mainly due to his performance

Jennifer Garner - the fact that she's not had many big roles for a while is annoying since she is fab. Another naturally brilliant comiedy actress, I mean, who doesn't adore 13 Going On 30? She is also amazingly good at more physical roles, like Alias or Elektra. I dunno if many of you have seen The Kingdom, but if not, I recommend it since she is so good in it and shows that if she is given the oppertunity, she can pull off a strong performance even when around other amazing actors.

John Cusak - I saw a movie of his a while back called Grace Is Gone and I found myself crying buckets in alot of his scenes. Not an actor I have seen much of, but he always surprises me. Serendipity remians one of my all time faves.

Really hope this can gain some discussion since I think it's nice to focus on the actors rather than just the movies sometimes.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Cameron
post Oct 10 2015, 08:18 PM
Post #2
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*
User: 18,061
Tatiana Maslany

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Oct 10 2015, 10:07 PM
Post #3
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
Agreed on Ben Foster. He plays a delicate, fragile, damaged person very, very well! Logan Lerman is another one who I find to be underrated as an actor. His role in 'Perks...' shows how capable he is as an actor.

They're the only ones off the top of my head, if I think of any more, I'll add them!

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Oct 11 2015, 12:26 AM
Post #4
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

Jamie Lee Curtis

A fantastic actress and has starred in many great films such as "Halloween", "The Fog", "Prom Night", "Trading Places", "A Fish Called Wanda", "True Lies", "Blue Steel" & "My Girl". She's fantastic in them all and always turns in a great performance in anything she does, even bad films like "Perfect" with John Travolta which was awful, yet she was the only good thing about it and was the only one at the time to come off it unscathed. She's very talented and yet never gets mentioned anymore and doesn't seem to do hardly any movies anymore, I think the last movie I saw her in was "You Again" which got panned and flopped at the box office, but honestly I didn't find it that bad and was pretty funny and her and Sigourney Weaver" were brilliant together. She's somebody I've always admired from a young age and I'm a big fan of her early horror movies "Halloween 1&2" were both brilliant, and "The Fog" was creepy and had brilliant tension, "Prom Night" was cheesy disco slasher fun, "Terror Train" was pretty decent also and features a fantastic chase scene between her and the killer and "Road Games" where despite she only played a small part, it had an intriguing storyline and kept me hooked all the way through.

Other movies of her's that never get mentioned are "Dominick and Eugene" which is very underrated and has a talented cast with a heartwarming/breaking premise. "Blue Steel" was fantastic where she takes the lead role in this gritty crime thriller where she has a psycho stalker hell bent on killing her friends and played brilliantly by Ron Silver. "Mother's Boys" was just fun where she plays the psycho this time, trying to get her family back after abandoning them for 5 years, then trying to get rid of her husband's new wife and twisting her son's mind and trying to turn him against the rest of them, was just pure brilliance.

Famke Janssen

Another actress who always turns in a great performance, I remember first seeing her in "Goldeneye" and she was fantastic and vicious as a Bond villain, she totally nailed it. "Deep Rising" was silly but fun, "House On Haunted Hill" wasn't that great but she played the femme fatale beautifully, "The Faculty" another fave of mine. The X-Men movies she showed a different side to her especially in the first 2 and thought she was a great voice for Jean Grey and even in the 3rd one she was pretty good playing the more evil side. "Eulogy" is also good with some great and funny performances, "Taken" was great and really shines in the sequel and also she was the best thing about "Hansel & Gretal - Witch Hunters" along with Jeremy Renner of course. It's just such a shame that she doesn't get decent roles and ends up in crap a lot of the time such as "Hide & Seek" which was dreadful with the most preidictable twist ending ever. In All she deserves more credit.

Tilda Swinton

Another fantastic actress who can disappear into her roles in a way that you forget you're watching Tilda Swinton and instead seeing her as her character. Brilliant in everything she does and have seen and enjoyed many of her performances = "The Deep End", which she was excellent, "The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe" which she was easily the best thing there, really excelled as the witch and was just fantastic, "Burn After Reading" and "We Need To Talk About Kevin" she deserved at least an Oscar nomination for that latter role. Also one of her most recent performances "Trainwreck" where she was excellent and really funny.

Kate Mara

Why isn't she more famous yet and definitely much more talented than her sister Rooney Mara, but maybe her time will come and soon hopefully. If the new Fantastic 4 was decent, then that could have definitely happened, but sadly the movie was terrible and flopped badly. Her TV roles In House Of Cards and American Horror Story were brilliant Her roles in movies such as Deadfall, The Open Road and Martian where she also shined and hopefully her upcoming movies will finally push her to the A-List and she can get the attention she finally deserves.

Jeremy Renner

A fantastic actor and always delivers, but does seem to get lost in the shuffle amongst other a-list actors and overshadowed which is a shame and he's starred in some great films. "S.W.A.T." an okay movie, a Colin Farrell starring vehicle, but Jeremy stole the show for me and was easily the best thing in this forgettable action popcorn movie. "The Hurt Locker" and "The Town" both amazing, Also love him in the "Avengers" movies and he should be mentioned more as he has great chemistry with the rest of cast and stands out just as well as the others in my opinion, "The Bourne Legacy" should have been great, Jeremy was a great choice for the new lead role, but pity the film wasn't all that good. "Hansel & Gretel" was a load of fun and "American Hustle" he was brilliant in as well.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Oct 11 2015, 12:55 AM
Post #5
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
Regina is not going to agree about Kate Mara kink.gif However, I do actually agree. Especially because I fell in love with her during 'House Of Cards' and as bad a film as F4 was, I still don't think the actors did a bad job at the roles they were given! She was good in 'The Martian' too (another one which if Regina watches will only make him envy/hate her even more kink.gif)

+Quote this post
Regina
post Oct 11 2015, 09:33 AM
Post #6
Group icon
Raining Shitter
Kate Mara is pure evil. You could put a potato in a wig in ANY Of her films and you'd never know the difference. Quite HOW she managed to play Sebby's GF in The Martian baffles and offends me.

Famke Janssen is a good call though, she is incredible.

+Quote this post
rory614
post Oct 11 2015, 11:47 AM
Post #7
Group icon
New Entry
User: 22,496
I agree I'm not much of a Kate Mara fan either

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Feb 15 2016, 09:39 PM
Post #8
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
What actors and actresses do you feel don't get enough credit or attention for their work, and therefore find them underrated?

The main one for me is Kristen Stewart. She gets so much criticism and she's never really that bad, definitely nowhere near the amount of hate she gets. She's one of the better aspects of the Twilight movies and she is great in Still Alice. However she absolutely shines in Clouds Of Sils Maria and shuts up all her haters (who probably haven't even seen her good films and are trolls) and really gave one of the best performances of last year! Also like Jack said yesterday, I also find Leslie Mann heavily underrated as she is always so funny!

+Quote this post
Regina
post Feb 15 2016, 09:47 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Raining Shitter

http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=182996
Obviously my thread not good enough.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Feb 15 2016, 09:50 PM
Post #10
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
Oops kink.gif Combined the threads!

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:58 AM