BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Universal Basic Income
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Universal Basic Income
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 20
Guests cannot vote 
vidcapper
post Jan 19 2018, 07:21 AM
Post #1
Group icon
Paul Hyett
User: 364
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_income

Basic income

Not to be confused with living wage or minimum wage.

A basic income (also called basic income guarantee, citizen's income, unconditional basic income, universal basic income (UBI), basic living stipend (BLS) or universal demogrant) is typically a form of social security or welfare regime, in which all citizens (or permanent residents) of a country receive a regular, liveable and unconditional sum of money, from the government. Payments does not require the recipient to work or look for work, and is independent of any other income.[2][3][4]

What do you think of this idea?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post Jan 19 2018, 07:54 AM
Post #2
Group icon
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
User: 10,596
At some point it will probably become inevitable, but there are obvious teething problems that will have to be ironed out first. I voted 'Unsure' as that's basically where I stand on current proposals.

+Quote this post
Silas
post Jan 19 2018, 08:11 AM
Post #3
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474
I too am uncertain. Really curious to see how the pilots turn out in Scotland.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Jan 19 2018, 08:32 AM
Post #4
Group icon
Paul Hyett
I can just imagine Tories frothing at the mouth at the very idea, though! laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Silas
post Jan 19 2018, 12:38 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Queen of Soon
Good! The more frothing they do the less damage to the country they do!!

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Jan 19 2018, 12:47 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639
I supported this idea from back in 2013 on, arguing that automation need not be seen as a bad thing. Use it to emancipate everyone with the option of UBI. It takes away the capitalist worry of failure, gives freedom from menial jobs, and will do a great job vs homelessness and poverty. It will be a huge step forward for humanity, let alone society. People WILL have to disconnect value from work and the need to do SOMETHING, even mind-numbing menial jobs which people hate.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Jan 19 2018, 04:16 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(Shia LeMuffQueef @ Jan 19 2018, 12:47 PM) *
I supported this idea from back in 2013 on, arguing that automation need not be seen as a bad thing. Use it to emancipate everyone with the option of UBI. It takes away the capitalist worry of failure, gives freedom from menial jobs, and will do a great job vs homelessness and poverty. It will be a huge step forward for humanity, let alone society. People WILL have to disconnect value from work and the need to do SOMETHING, even mind-numbing menial jobs which people hate.

The usual Tory claim that 'it will encourage laziness' just doesn't wash as the same people who live off the dole now, will do the same off UBI. Anyone who has more than minimal aspirations will still need to work to achieve them though.

This post has been edited by vidcapper: Jan 19 2018, 04:19 PM

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post Jan 19 2018, 04:23 PM
Post #8
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561
QUOTE(Soy Adrián @ Jan 19 2018, 07:54 AM) *
At some point it will probably become inevitable, but there are obvious teething problems that will have to be ironed out first. I voted 'Unsure' as that's basically where I stand on current proposals.

Have you listened to Ed Miliband and Geoff Lloyd's Podcast on this (IIRC it was Podcast #1), quite interesting and it is something that I am supportive of in theory. There were some good arguments made about how it actually incentivises people to work or offer their time for free (volunteering) especially compared with the current welfare system. Because it is such a radical step though it would need to be done in conjunction with a complete overhaul of the system of work - making work more 'open source', utilising people's skills to complete what needs to be done for the benefit of society, and I see the next few decades being us getting to grips with how we actually do this.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Jan 19 2018, 04:58 PM
Post #9
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
For, because I think if we can move towards working for our own benefit and less working for survival, the better off we'll be.

Particularly if automation can eliminate useless jobs it'll be of net benefit to society as a whole - especially if people who would otherwise be working mundane jobs that tire them out can put their energy to good use volunteering or creating creative projects that wouldn't otherwise be profitable - history has shown that some of the best artistic works were never popular or profitable in their lifetime. Of course a lot of crap would be made but the gems would also come. The proposals right now are in the early stages and I don't expect them to get it right for a while but it will happen eventually.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Jan 19 2018, 05:07 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
QUOTE(vidcapper @ Jan 19 2018, 04:16 PM) *
The usual Tory claim that 'it will encourage laziness' just doesn't wash as the same people who live off the dole now, will do the same off UBI. Anyone who has more than minimal aspirations will still need to work to achieve them though.

Of course, but the weight off society's conscience and hopefully less stress/ suicide/ stigma will be of huge benefit.

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post Jan 19 2018, 05:55 PM
Post #11
Group icon
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
User: 10,596
QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Jan 19 2018, 04:23 PM) *
Have you listened to Ed Miliband and Geoff Lloyd's Podcast on this (IIRC it was Podcast #1), quite interesting and it is something that I am supportive of in theory. There were some good arguments made about how it actually incentivises people to work or offer their time for free (volunteering) especially compared with the current welfare system. Because it is such a radical step though it would need to be done in conjunction with a complete overhaul of the system of work - making work more 'open source', utilising people's skills to complete what needs to be done for the benefit of society, and I see the next few decades being us getting to grips with how we actually do this.

I have actually, I try and listen most weeks. I think it reiterated to me how ambitious UBI will have to be to succeed, as like you say it will require a complete overhaul of our welfare system and more besides.

+Quote this post
will-i-ever
post Jan 19 2018, 07:27 PM
Post #12
Group icon
New Entry
User: 55,348
I voted for. Seem like it's high time for something like this to happen. I'll be oversimplifying things now, but it's something like a pension to my mind. So many generations of people have brought our society to the current level of technologies and science and people work less with their hands, machines play a greater part. It's only fair for people to get some part of the generated profit too, for everything that has been done by our ancestors

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Jan 19 2018, 07:31 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
It's not even that radical.

Allowing billionaires to horde mass wealth is far more radical when you think about it and not in our interests as a species or a planet.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post Jan 21 2018, 09:21 PM
Post #14
Group icon
The long read in the Guardian on Friday was about 'post-work' which ties in nicely with this talk of UBI: https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/jan/1...ld-without-jobs

It's a LONG read though! tongue.gif

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post Feb 16 2018, 03:02 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Now being discussed in the 'mainstream media' on the BBC News pages this morning: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43078920

With the rise of automation coming in the 2020s I think it is definitely time for a debate and further research on how we want to live in the future, and I firmly believe that UBI is likely to be a big part of that.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Feb 16 2018, 04:23 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Feb 16 2018, 03:02 PM) *
Now being discussed in the 'mainstream media' on the BBC News pages this morning: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43078920

One part that caught my eye was :

'Anyone receiving the "dividends" would not be able to claim any tax allowances, which the RSA says would act as a disincentive to wealthier earners wanting to apply for the handout.'

Does that include Personal Allowances, as if that couldn't be claimed, then 20% of that £10k PA would get taken immediately back. unsure.gif

This post has been edited by vidcapper: Feb 16 2018, 04:24 PM

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Feb 16 2018, 04:29 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
I assume the intention is that UBI would be tax-free but that any further income would be taxed.

+Quote this post
Silas
post Feb 16 2018, 05:50 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Queen of Soon
Yeah as far as I’m aware in a UBI world any additional income you receive is taxed from the first penny. The argument being that this increases the wealth of the poorest in society although the academic reviews of those claims are mixed at best

+Quote this post
CarrotNinja
post Dec 26 2018, 04:54 PM
Post #19
Group icon
New Entry
User: 80,900
UBI - Because of fast automation of nearly all Industries. UBI I think is the only way for forward for humanity.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Dec 27 2018, 06:31 AM
Post #20
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(CarrotNinja @ Dec 26 2018, 04:54 PM) *
UBI - Because of fast automation of nearly all Industries. UBI I think is the only way for forward for humanity.

Mind you, I think it would take a Labour gov't to ever make it law - it is anathema to a lot of Tories!

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:29 PM