BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Suedehead's 60 birthday number ones, A nostalgic countdown
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Popchartfreak
post 19 hours ago
Post #101
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Aug 12 2020, 09:15 PM) *
I haven't said where the rest of The Script's output would have finished laugh.gif

laugh.gif
generally rated higher than Mr Blobby, but not quite in the same league as Bob The Builder I'd suggest heehee.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post 19 hours ago
Post #102
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Aug 13 2020, 08:19 AM) *
laugh.gif
generally rated higher than Mr Blobby, but not quite in the same league as Bob The Builder I'd suggest heehee.gif

I think Mr Blobby would have struggled to reach the top 60 even if there were only 60 songs that qualified laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post 10 hours ago
Post #103
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Like a lot of my contemporaries in 1972, I was listening to glamrock bands such as Slade and Sweet. My older sister, on the other hand, was - again like so many of her contemporaries - more interested in Donny Osmond and David Cassidy. In the run-up to my birthday that year, there was a very good chance that one of those four artists would be at number one.

The week before my birthday saw Slade at number one for a third week their third chart-topper (and second of the year) Mama Weer All Crazee Now. T Rex the biggest threat, sitting at number two with Children Of The Revolution but David Cassidty was also in the running with How Can I Be Sure at number three.

So, my twelfth birthday dawned with Slade at number one but with a new chart due to be unveiled at lunchtime. Given that the winner of that race is at number 42 in this list, you can probably guess that David Cassidy climbed to the top to get his first number one single. How Can I Be Sure is a bit slushy (even at eleven or twelve I thought that) but itís by no means terrible.

Cassidy made his name (and set many teenage hearts aflutter) playing Keith Partridge in The Partridge Family. They were in the chart that week with the Nei Sedaka song Breaking Up Is Hard To Do. The Sweet were in the top ten with Wig-Wam Bam. Among other highlights were 10CCís Donna, Jackie Wilsonís I Get The Sweetest Feeling, Mott The Hoopleís All The Young Dudes and Derek And The Dominosí Layla. Just to complete the set from the opening remarks, Donny Osmond was in there too with Puppy Love which had spent five weeks at number one in the summer.

Two slightly bizarre songs were also in that top forty. Hot Butter were on their way down with Popcorn but Lieutenant Pigeon climbed sixteen places to number four with Mouldy Old Dough. Two weeks later, the latter song replaced Cassidy at number one.

+Quote Post
King Rollo
post 7 hours ago
Post #104
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,961
   No Gallery Pics

What a fabulous top 40 that was,I'm just looking at it now. You could add to those already mentioned : Virginia Plain by Roxy Music, You're A Lady by Peter Skellern and Goodbye To Love by The Carpenters.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post 7 hours ago
Post #105
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(King Rollo @ Aug 13 2020, 07:59 PM) *
What a fabulous top 40 that was,I'm just looking at it now. You could add to those already mentioned : Virginia Plain by Roxy Music, You're A Lady by Peter Skellern and Goodbye To Love by The Carpenters.

Yes, those three could easily have made my list of "also in the top forty". On top of that, Silver Machine dropped out of the top forty that week. They don't make charts like that any more laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post 6 hours ago
Post #106
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

I know I'm biased but that week was an epic chart/ Of the ones listed above, the following topped my chart during 1972:

Wig Wam Bam
Breaking Up Is Hard To Do
Goodbye To Love
Donna
Popcorn

and since then the following have topped my chart as reissued hits:

Children Of The Revolution
I Get The Sweetest Feeling
Layla
Virginia Plain

with Mott The Hoople guaranteed a chart-topper if I get an excuse to chart it again.

By the time Darlin David had died, I'd long gotten over my annoyance with his slushy teen-girl-aimed solo career and realised that How Can I Be Sure is a brilliant song, and his is the definitive version (even over Dusty! ohmy.gif ). it's one of my "Go To" broken-heart sweeping ballads to sing and cry along to when I'm down and looking for some pathos relief, and has of course toped my chart, being one of my all-time faves and what have you smile.gif PS I adored The Partridge Family show, especially the Danny & Ruben Kincaid banter and above all the pop songs (I was 12 when it came out, on TV in Singapore too!). The skunk on the tour bus was my fave episode. By series 3 I was a mature 14 and it all seemed a bit silly.... laugh.gif

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th August 2020 - 02:37 AM