BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Doctor Who • Praxeus, S12E06
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
WhoOdyssey
post Jan 30 2020, 05:46 PM
Post #1
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771
Following last week's amazing episode, episode 6 'Praxeus' is on Sunday at the same time as always of 19:10.

Synopsis: What connects a missing astronaut in the Indian Ocean, birds behaving strangely in Peru and a US naval officer who washes up on a Madagascan beach? Team Tardis investigate.

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Calum
post Jan 30 2020, 06:03 PM
Post #2
Group icon
nabad
Pronouns: he/him
User: 18,316
I'm ready for this *.* Hoping Pete McTighe delivers 2/2, the trailer has me thinking he will! (and another Chibnall co-write makes me think there'll be another big twist with this one!)

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Jan 30 2020, 08:19 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639
Filler episode guaranteed.

+Quote this post
Calum
post Feb 2 2020, 01:57 AM
Post #4
Group icon
nabad
Still no reviews up for this yet... makes me think there might be something else going on. The same happened with Fugitive of the Judoon with reviews only being permitted a couple of hours before broadcast.

+Quote this post
Calum
post Feb 2 2020, 08:12 PM
Post #5
Group icon
nabad
That was... not great.

It was all very fast paced, but at the same time it was like there were so many elements that, besides the ultra basic plot of trying to solve the mystery of why people were getting infected, they included everything but the kitchen sink to make it seem like an episode of Doctor Who. I'll probably need to watch it again to try and appreciate it more - but really the only thing I've come out of that episode thinking is that FINALLY the companions felt like companions and had a fair bit to do.

+Quote this post
Jester
post Feb 2 2020, 08:17 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Right in front of my salad?!
User: 12
That was awful. So confusing and full of techno babble.

Why wasn't this a continuation of last weeks story?

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Feb 2 2020, 08:19 PM
Post #7
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160
I liked it, it was just very average. Don’t have very strong thoughts either way!

The skin thing did make me feel uncomfortable though, especially when it was spreading. It was good to have lots going on and have the companions have some sort of role as well as having solid guest characters. But... that’s really it.

I know this is a show which main premise is that it resets itself every week but I find it odd that’s there’s literally zero reference to the Ruth Doctor. Why have they introduced that to not even tease as to what will be happening with it...

+Quote this post
Calum
post Feb 2 2020, 08:24 PM
Post #8
Group icon
nabad
It just seemed very... ignorant regarding what was actually happening, if that makes any sense? laugh.gif The girl from the two girls vlogging duo that was infected and died... her friend literally just seemed to think 'oh okay she just died, no biggie, must soldier on', and then when the boy that was with Suki was attacked by the birds, there were no references about him from that point on. He was just... gone.

Really disappointing considering this is the man who gave us Kerblam! sad.gif

+Quote this post
BridgeCow
post Feb 2 2020, 08:29 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,860
That was incredibly meh, wouldn’t say it was completely awful, but really not exactly good either. Why tf was it necessary for graham and Ryan to ask the doctor to explain literally everything she was talking about, that got on my nerves so insanely quickly. I think it was a good premise, but again, too many unnecessary characters, I just don’t get it is this like part of the contract for the writers of these seasons that Chibs has said there needs to be at least 4 side characters every episode that have little relevance to the plot and allow no room for the already underdeveloped main companions to do ANYTHING

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Feb 2 2020, 08:36 PM
Post #10
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
QUOTE(Calum @ Feb 2 2020, 08:24 PM) *
It just seemed very... ignorant regarding what was actually happening, if that makes any sense? laugh.gif The girl from the two girls vlogging duo that was infected and died... her friend literally just seemed to think 'oh okay she just died, no biggie, must soldier on', and then when the boy that was with Suki was attacked by the birds, there were no references about him from that point on. He was just... gone.

Really disappointing considering this is the man who gave us Kerblam! sad.gif

omg i forgot about that boy! laugh.gif

yeh they literally did not care about everyone dying!!

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post Feb 2 2020, 09:02 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,585
I feel like this episode was just slotted in and probably could’ve gone anywhere in the episode list! The issue I have is the lack of continuity for this era. We want a story that threads through, even if it is subtle. A nod to the last episode, just something would have been nice. Last week was so exciting so this just fell incredibly flat. Also it got to 5 mins before the end and I thought ooh maybe we have a two-partner on our hands only for some rushed ending to happen.
I genuinely feel like they spent too much time focusing on the landscapes and visuals so it lacked proper development.

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post Feb 2 2020, 09:03 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2
This was dreadful, I guess they were trying to get the message across, not to throw plastic into the ocean.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Feb 2 2020, 09:51 PM
Post #13
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
From the best episode to quite easily the worst oops, Orphan 55 was at least quite hilarious in how bad it was, but this was just utterly dull as well as preachy. It's a shame as it had a good setup with them all doing their own thing, but when they all met up it just went to pot. Far too much talking, not much of a menace and a convoluted and ridiculous conclusion in five minutes, and I knew the message the instant they mentioned 'plastic', they might as well have done away with whatever the aliens wanted as it was so painfully blatant. The best science fiction has nuanced commentary about society that is extrapolated, if the message is overpowering the sci-fi, it's just preachy.

The skin disease was actually very unsettling and that was the best part and it was good that Yazz had something to do (she really does have potential to be a great companion, just need to axe the other two), but again, the side characters were completely useless, agree completely about the deaths being completely brushed over and they really ruined what could've been a great emotional moment by having the police officer sacrifice himself by having that ridiculous last minute save. That almost felt like a parody.

I wouldn't usually be this bothered, but it really concerns me that no mention of anything that happened last week was made. Arcs need to be referred back to, even in 'filler' episodes like this clearly was, they need to at least be addressed in a subtle way, the Doctor feeling distracted, sense that something is coming etc. but there was nothing here, there's so many big concepts they introduced now that not referring to them at all has me worried that the conclusions to them all are underwritten and the good work started has been undone. I'll give them a chance obvs as it's only been a week etc. but they better stop with these type of episodes from now on~

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Feb 3 2020, 11:59 AM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
It felt a bit like the original edit was ten minutes too long and they got a bit clumsy in re-editing it down. It was definitely the weakest episode of this series which was a great pity after last week's high.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Feb 3 2020, 05:06 PM
Post #15
Group icon
User: 13,007
I get the frustration some feel with the lack of reference to the previous episode but it's a trait TV has used for ages. The format is exactly the same in X Files which is a perfect example of how a show has isolated episodes that stand alone as pieces of TV but underlying that all is a larger plotline that follows throughout episodes - not always referenced but it exists.

The episodes can be watched in isolation, but also as a complete series to fully understand the plot. I'm not saying that that excuses some of the plot holes, because X Files made the isolated episodes a lot more apparent ("Monster of the week" episodes) and this doesn't so much, but when you consider the show as a complete entity with subplots and "filler" episodes to just act on their own, it helps to understand that it isn't a linear story being told but instead multiple stories happening with one thread tying them all together.

It's not a soap, it's a show about time travel, so the episodes and the non-linear structure reflects that.

+Quote this post
Botchia
post Feb 3 2020, 09:19 PM
Post #16
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753
Well this was kinda everything that's wrong with Chibnall's Doctor Who :')

Messy storyline, far too much going on but nothing really happens, companions being a bit useless and an unbelievably preachy ending. The moral of the story being humans are bad is happening far too often...they really need to calm down.

Last week and the opening two-parter have been decent and a glimmer of hope but it seems every time we have a half decent episode, we end up with a messy one like this straight after.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post Feb 4 2020, 11:32 AM
Post #17
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54
I didn't hate that episode as much as most of you. I liked that Yaz in particular got to show a more definite sense of character, I could really see her being a companion on her own with a sense of stubbornness and daring to her.

The most off-putting thing about the episode was the complete lack of continuity from the previous one, it just made no sense at all - I assumed that it was going to be a second half of the previous episode as that didn't close at all really?!!!

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Feb 4 2020, 05:01 PM
Post #18
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
QUOTE(HausofKubrick @ Feb 3 2020, 05:06 PM) *
I get the frustration some feel with the lack of reference to the previous episode but it's a trait TV has used for ages. The format is exactly the same in X Files which is a perfect example of how a show has isolated episodes that stand alone as pieces of TV but underlying that all is a larger plotline that follows throughout episodes - not always referenced but it exists.

The episodes can be watched in isolation, but also as a complete series to fully understand the plot. I'm not saying that that excuses some of the plot holes, because X Files made the isolated episodes a lot more apparent ("Monster of the week" episodes) and this doesn't so much, but when you consider the show as a complete entity with subplots and "filler" episodes to just act on their own, it helps to understand that it isn't a linear story being told but instead multiple stories happening with one thread tying them all together.

It's not a soap, it's a show about time travel, so the episodes and the non-linear structure reflects that.

I would definitely agree that Doctor Who is certainly not a show that carries a large plot over the course of multiple episodes and the main basis of the show is that it is something completely different each week, which is a big reason why I do love it. Even earlier in this series with the Gallifrey/Master reveal, it didn't bother me that this wasn't touched on in the following two episodes. However, I did like how there was at least a small reference at the start of Orphan 55, to recognise the impact it has rightfully had on the Doctor rather than having her back to blundering about.

The problem with the reveal last week is that, as things stand, it's one of the biggest reveals the show has ever done and it's a massive revelation for the Doctor herself too as it's heavily suggested 'Ruth' is from her past. Yet the Doctor quickly moves on and it's not even acknowledged that there actually may be another regeneration of the Doctor that neither the audience or the Doctor is aware of, with a massive gap in history that may come with that. Just all it needed was a one line acknowledgement (like we saw in Orphan 55) to recognise that we would be exploring Ruth more in future and to keep that plot point alive. Yes, it will be coming back (hopefully soon) but you just need to have that hook for viewers to stay interested.

I admit that part of my frustration is aimed at the promo for the show as we don't have any idea as to when/if Ruth is even returning when it should now have become a massive selling point for the show. I'd just be so frustrated if they keep her return secret, in the say the finale, when they should be building hype as to who she actually really is.

+Quote this post
Calum
post Feb 4 2020, 06:40 PM
Post #19
Group icon
nabad
A lot of Twitter stans seem to be suggesting that the Chibnall co-write for this may be because Yaz seemed 'sinister', and that she could be a sleeper agent for the Master? laugh.gif I like the theory of a companion not being who they say they are, but I don't think I can quite get behind that one lmao.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Feb 4 2020, 06:42 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639
QUOTE(Calum @ Feb 4 2020, 06:40 PM) *
A lot of Twitter stans seem to be suggesting that the Chibnall co-write for this may be because Yaz seemed 'sinister', and that she could be a sleeper agent for the Master? laugh.gif I like the theory of a companion not being who they say they are, but I don't think I can quite get behind that one lmao.

I would love that!

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:26 PM