BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Troye Sivan | The Singles Rate RESULTS, Any guesses for last place?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
JosephBoone
post 26th July 2020, 10:37 PM
Post #21
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

I agree Scared to Be Lonely is a better song but I don't like Troye's vocals on it as much as Dua's. There for You matches him far better imo!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jade
post 26th July 2020, 10:39 PM
Post #22
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Oh aw I was hoping that 'BITE' would do a little better than that - a Halloween staple for me *.*

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 26th July 2020, 11:00 PM
Post #23
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

That period of Martin Garrix future bass tracks are all as bad as each other as far as I'm concerned. puke.gif I'm so glad to see the back of that sound.

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 27th July 2020, 04:29 PM
Post #24
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh
User: 32,047

16. Plum (7.34)
15. I’m So Tired (with Lauv) (7.43)

Another non-single leaves us before our top 15 with Plum. This very bizarrely got scored a 0 from Bjork- it’s never been a song I considered could deem that strong a negative reaction- without that it would have finished 12th. Plum is a cheery, fun pop song about the ending of a relationship, Troye appears to be open to the end of the relationship and ready to move on claiming all things must come to an end.

And at 15th we lose Troye’s biggest hit yet; I’m So Tired with Lauv. The song was a top 10 hit here in the UK peaking at number 8 and actually finished in the year end biggest singles in the UK at number 72 and is certified gold. The song has drawn criticism for its repetitive refrain but that’s what I find most charming about the song- they repeat the line just like they’re sick of hearing the repeated love songs! Surprised to see this so low actually but knew that some people wouldn’t think of this as the most substantial of songs.

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 27th July 2020, 04:38 PM
Post #25
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh

We lose a Bloom track next? Any guesses?

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 27th July 2020, 07:23 PM
Post #26
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh

14. The Good Side (7.59)
13. Strawberries & Cigarettes (7.61)

The Good Side leaves us next- the second single from Troye’s sophomore album, Bloom. The song is about him breaking up with a partner and being aware that he got the good side of things by doing the breaking up as opposed to being the one broken up with. The song was written by Allie X, Leland (who supported him on his Bloom tour) and Troye himself and is an emotional guitar ballad right until the end where we hit the gorgeous twinkly electronic outro. Glad to see this do pretty well here as I’ve always had a soft spot for it.

80s-esque slow jam Strawberries & Cigarettes taken from the Love, Simon soundtrack is out next at number 13. The song is a beautiful pop number reminiscent of Cyndi Lauper and fits perfectly against the portrait of the teenage rom com. I’m pleasantly surprised with how well this has done here.

+Quote this post
Slick
post 27th July 2020, 07:25 PM
Post #27
Group icon
electric butterflies
User: 70

'Plum' is lower than I would've liked. One of the best tracks on 'Bloom.'

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 27th July 2020, 10:02 PM
Post #28
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh

12. Seventeen (7.77)
11. Happy Little Pill (8)

Our final non-single Seventeen finishes in 12th and I’m really impressed with how well this has managed to do, beating some pretty big competition really- even getting a score of 11 from Calum. This is a beautiful, synthy coming of age number that really utilises his low register unlike any other song he’s done. The song is a mature look on pressures of society particularly towards males regarding sex and is one of his greatest lyrical works in my opinion- a gorgeous opener for the album that works perfectly in correlation to it’s almost sister in Bloom (the single: still to come)

And just missing our top 10 but still getting to a pretty impressive average score is Troye’s official debut single, Happy Little Pill off his EP TRXYE. Being in like year 8 or 9 when this came out Troye was a huge celebrity to me and all my friends and upon the release of this we’d all buy his merch and begin obsessing with his music career. The song was (and still is) very mature as he could have definitely gone for an easy hit with whatever sound was popular at the time- but he went for an electropop song he cites as being about loneliness and as a way to help a close friend of his.

So we have our top 10 (in alphabetical order)
Bloom
Dance To This (with Ariana Grande)
Heaven (feat. Betty Who)
Lucky Strike
My My My
1999 (with Charli XCX)
Take Yourself Home
Talk Me Down
Wild
Youth

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 27th July 2020, 11:57 PM
Post #29
Group icon
Break the tension

What a quality top 10! I can honestly say I like every song.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 28th July 2020, 12:00 AM
Post #30
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

i'm so tired... is incredible! So, SO good. Especially live! A huge moment. The Good Side is absolutely STUNNING too.

Ugh. His discography is sublime! drama.gif

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 28th July 2020, 04:40 PM
Post #31
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh

10. Lucky Strike (8.16)

I certainly did not expect this to be as low as number 10 after how vocal fans seemed to be to make this a single before it did get the full single treatment. Lucky Strike is possibly my favourite on Bloom- super fun, classic Troye production and I’m always a fan of when he uses male pronouns in his songs smile.gif.

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 28th July 2020, 04:47 PM
Post #32
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh

9. 1999 (with Charli XCX) (8.23)

In 9th is Troye’s first collab with Miss XCX- that’s fared a lot better than the sophomore effort here-1999. This went on to become Troye’s first top 20 single in the UK finishing with a respectable peak of 13 and is currently certified gold. The song is a huge blast of nostalgia referencing everything from music to pop culture- further enhanced by the epic music video (which I’d probably say is the best he’s been involved in aside from his Blue Neighbourhood trilogy). Not one I go back to a lot but one I can definitely appreciate when it’s on and goes off live!

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 28th July 2020, 04:52 PM
Post #33
Group icon
Break the tension

I've been so in love with 'Lucky Strike' recently, it's such beautiful perfection. wub.gif The way he explicitly refers to a male lover just melts me.

'1999' is a fun bop, I enjoy it from time to time.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 28th July 2020, 06:13 PM
Post #34
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

I'd like Take Yourself Home to drop asap. Probably the only anomaly in the top 10. I'd have preferred to have seen 'i'm so tired' there in place of it tbh.

It's a good song, but I never go back to it. Pretty much the only Troye song I have that feeling with.

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 28th July 2020, 08:11 PM
Post #35
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh

8. Talk Me Down (8.34) LESS 10S

My personal favourite Troye song leaves us in 8th with Talk Me Down and of course I was hoping this would do better but can't complain at 8th among so many phenomenal songs! Another Allie X co-write and in my opinion the most powerful song he's ever released. The music video is widely deemed as a highlight of his videography featuring tragic visuals- closing off the trio of Wild and Fools with a devastating end to the Blue Neighborhood Trilogy. The subtle production into the crashing instrumentals and the delicate lyrics against the story being told in the music video are so beautiful and moving and an absolute must-watch.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 28th July 2020, 08:21 PM
Post #36
Group icon
Break the tension

Beautiful song. wub.gif

+Quote this post
Slick
post 28th July 2020, 08:59 PM
Post #37
Group icon
electric butterflies
User: 70

I don't know 'Talk Me Down' very well but other than that, it is a very good Top 10! 'Take Yourself Home' is surprisingly high.

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 28th July 2020, 09:14 PM
Post #38
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh

7. Heaven (feat. Betty Who) (8.34) MORE 10S

7th is the final single from Troye's debut album- Heaven. The song is an ode to his coming out story and he has cited it as "the most important song he's ever made". The music video was released to coincide with Donald Trumps' inauguration and pays homage to the LGBTQ triumphs and movements of history as well a hopeful brighter future. This song exceeded expectations here doing surprisingly well- happy to see that though as this is truly a beautiful and poignant song.

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 28th July 2020, 09:21 PM
Post #39
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh

6. Take Yourself Home (8.52)

And just before our top 6 we lose the first track to be taken off Troye’s upcoming ‘In a Dream’ EP- Take Yourself Home. A wistful track backed by an acoustic guitar at first followed by a dreamy electronic backing into that absolute jarring dance-breakdown at the end- jarring in a completely brilliant way by the way. I’m so happy this has done so well here as it’s possibly my fave Troye song since Talk Me Down- so much fun but also as beautiful as many of his other classics. Shame to not see this do that well chartwise for him.

Our top 5 is now revealed-
Bloom
Dance To This (feat. Ariana Grande)
My My My
Wild
Youth

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 28th July 2020, 09:24 PM
Post #40
Group icon