BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The Kylie Tours: Ranked
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Calum
post 13th June 2020, 02:41 AM
Post #1
Group icon
nabad
Pronouns: he/him
User: 18,316

Intimate and Live
On a Night Like This
KylieFever2002
Showgirl: The Greatest Hits
Showgirl Homecoming
KylieX2008
Aphrodite: Les Folies
Kiss Me Once
Golden

(no tours pre Intimate and Live included as I'm not familiar with them at all, and no one-off / small-scale shows included, i.e. Money Can't Buy, For Me For You or Anti)

I've just finished watching some of Kylie's tours again, and I thought it'd be a good idea to rank them all from worst to best! *.* Join me as I relive some of the best moments of Kylie on the road, the memories of seeing her live, and highlighting some of her finest live performances to date.

What will finish last? What will come out on top as her best tour? ohmy.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Calum
post 13th June 2020, 01:45 PM
Post #2
Group icon
nabad

Intimate and Live

Dates: 2 June - 31 July 1998
In support of: Impossible Princess

Setlist:

Too Far
What Do I Have to Do?
Some Kind of Bliss
Put Yourself in My Place
Breathe
Take Me With You

I Should Be So Lucky (Torch version)
Dancing Queen
Dangerous Game

Cowboy Style
Step Back in Time
Say Hey
Free
Drunk

Did It Again
Limbo
Shocked

Confide in Me
The Loco-Motion
Should I Stay or Should I Go?

Better the Devil You Know

Kylie's 1998 tour - Intimate and Live - supported her sixth studio album Impossible Princess, and gave us our first glimpse of Kylie's 'showgirl' persona (see the iconic imagery above, depicting her performance of ABBA's Dancing Queen during the set). Originally only an Australian tour, Kylie and William Baker decided to bring Intimate and Live to the UK - however, perhaps surprisingly when you consider her status here now, they were concerned that it wouldn't be as well received in the UK. I believe William Baker actually commented at one time that they had nothing to lose by bringing the show to the UK, so they went ahead due to high demand.

Most of the concept and design for the tour takes inspiration from Impossible Princess itself; the show opening with Kylie in a multi-coloured open cone (see the album artwork), and a lot of the costume designs are inspired by or are direct derivations from music videos in the era (see Did It Again and Cowboy Style). The tour was a big hit with critics, most of them commenting that Kylie had cemented herself as a sensational performer, with Australian critics congratulating her on being a wonderful ambassador for Australia when she tours. Perhaps most surprisingly though is that in the aftermath of the Intimate and Live tour, both Kylie and William became depressed and escaped the limelight to travel the US and South America for a while to begin work on her next album - what one that would become the iconic Light Years.

In terms of the actual content of Intimate and Live, the setlist is very strong. What I sometimes find with Kylie tours is that the music from whatever album she's supporting can sometimes be sidelined in favour of the classics, but given this tour came earlier in her career she manages to achieve the perfect balance of most of the songs you'd want to hear from Impossible Princess and the classic hits that came before it. Not only that, but even with classics like I Should Be So Lucky, Kylie also manages to switch them up and make them sound fresh to fit perfectly with every other song on the setlist. The showgirl segment of the show, while short and sweet, is probably the most memorable part of this show, with her cover of ABBA's Dancing Queen serving as a real moment. After this, it would go on to become an even bigger moment for Kylie performing it again (and in a very similar costume) at the Sydney 2000 Olympics Closing Ceremony. The inclusion of tracks like Too Far, Breathe, Drunk and Did It Again prove that she can step away from the big hits and really deliver a great show too. Some of these then return several tours down the line for another moment in the spotlight, sounding just as good when incorporated into a bigger-budget affair.

With all of the above said, I think the only reason Intimate and Live ends up finishing at the bottom of my list is because everything that came after is elevated to completely different level. While I'll appreciate that this tour is probably the roots of Kylie as a showgirl and that this is an all-round entertaining and - for its time - seismic show, everything that's come and gone since then has drawn inspiration from it, built on it so cleverly, and added to all of it to make for even more entertaining evenings celebrating the music of Kylie Minogue.

Favourite performance:

It could be none other than Dancing Queen. The iconic pink feathers serve as a brilliant overshadowing of what was yet to come with Showgirl Homecoming (and even Showgirl too, with all the frills). Kylie serves a brilliant vocal performance, and everything in the performance is a shining example of how well choreographed and considered all of Kylie's live performances are. It's camp, it's sexy and it's fun most of all. Giving the gays what they want on almost every tour, starting here, with near-naked dancers in the sexiest and skimpiest costumes makes the performances all the more enjoyable (albeit distracting at times, oops).

+Quote this post
Dannyboy
post 13th June 2020, 02:21 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 632

Really ? Wow I love this tour, yeah it’s not all glitz and glamour with a high production but vocally and song choices I would take this tour over a lot of them, I do have a big soft spot for the “let’s get to it” tour too

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 13th June 2020, 04:27 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

They are all great and they are hard to rank, I understand why intimate and live came last last but i wouldn't place it there myself. Its nowhere near as glamorous as other tours as the budget was much much smaller but i think it was an important tour as i remember reading that doing the tour Kylie really realized she needed to return to her pop roots as she could see how the crowd reacted was to certain songs. I think the tour was a turning point but i also think vocally kylie was really good on the tour. I loved getting my hands on a copy of the live cd as it took me a while to get it as the internet was as near to hand to me then as it is now.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 13th June 2020, 04:51 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

If I'm being honest, I don't think I've actually watched a Kylie tour in its entirety before! ohmy.gif Aside from the Golden Tour which I attended of course!

It's funny how Impossible Princess was a commercially low point for Kylie yet the tour was well-received and showed early signs of the showgirl spectacle that we would see over the following two decades. 'Dancing Queen' was a great, unashamedly pop moment; I feel Kylie was already starting to re-embrace her pop past with this cover and songs like 'Better the Devil You Know' and 'I Should Be So Lucky' (even in its 'mature' torch version). It's great to watch Kylie perform songs like 'Too Far', 'Drunk' and 'Limbo' - I feel it's one thing hearing them on the album and another seeing them being performed - they're such unexpected songs from Kylie but they work brilliantly and I'm pleased she's revisited these moments in the tours since.

A great review Calum, looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the rest!

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 13th June 2020, 05:15 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Limbo was brilliant on the intimate and live tour. Dancing queen was kylie keeping the camp side of her tours very much alive and well. I also really enjoyed should I stay or should I go now, she did a great energetic cover on the tour.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 13th June 2020, 05:41 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031

There is a feeling of intimacy with the tour and a rawness in the delivery that results in the delivery working really well.
I prefer Intimate and Live to other tours offered from Kylie.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 13th June 2020, 08:36 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Intimate and live was just stripped right back and it worked.these type of shows cant really be compared to the more bigger budget tours. I wonder why IP was really only successful in Oz and rejected everywhere else.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 13th June 2020, 09:09 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

It is said that Impossible Princess is one of Kylies most successful albums in Australia.
The tour would have been of big benefit and I believe Kylie carried out extensive promotion through its release.

+Quote this post
Calum
post 13th June 2020, 09:13 PM
Post #10
Group icon
nabad

Kiss Me Once

Dates: 24 September 2014 - 28 March 2015
In support of: Kiss Me Once

Setlist:

Les Sex
In My Arms
Timebomb
Sexy Love
Wow

Step Back in Time
Spinning Around
Your Disco Needs You
On a Night Like This
Slow

Enjoy Yourself / Hand on Your Heart / Never Too Late / Got to Be Certain / I Should Be So Lucky

Need You Tonight (INXS cover)
Sexercize
Can't Get You Out of My Head
Kids

Beautiful
Kiss Me Once

Get Outta My Way
Love at First Sight
Especially For You
All the Lovers

Into the Blue

Next up is the tour that supported an album... not held in such high regard. The Kiss Me Once tour ran from September 2014 to March 2015. Attached to it were a string of exclusive shows prior in Ibiza, as well as a recorded performance at the 2014 iTunes Festival, however there were also a number of cancelled European dates. Compared to the tours that had come before it (Showgirl, X2008 and Aphrodite: Les Folies), Kiss Me Once was a more stripped-back show, but still managed to retain the quintessentially Kylie feel. This was Kylie's first tour signed to Roc Nation, and being brutally honest, it was particularly evident that there wasn't as big a budget behind the production. Not only that, when you consider other things like the setlist, it's clear that this was not a tour that would be as fondly remembered as previous tours were, and still are.

The Kiss Me Once tour had its CD and DVD recording at the SSE Hydro Arena in Glasgow (the date I attended - I'm yet to actively seek myself out in the audience when watching it), however there were some notable omissions from both. Tears on My Pillow was performed in the Dollhouse act of the show, but wasn't included on the CD. By the time this date rolled around too, Sexy Love - an album track from Kiss Me Once - had also been removed from the setlist. Besides tweaks here and there, the show was a blast. This was only the second time I'd seen Kylie live, so the idea of hearing all of the classics as well as the brand new songs from Kiss Me Once was still more exciting than caring about the finer details of what worked and what didn't. On reflection, there are a few things that didn't work about this tour. Despite it being an evening full of classic hits and some of the best that Kiss Me Once had to offer as a package, this is where I'll go back to my point (see Intimate and Live commentary). Kylie knows how to put on an unforgettable show, and knows how to please the fans with all of the hits they know and love, but that was one of the biggest problems with the Kiss Me Once tour. Okay, she wasn't fully invested in the album and it doesn't seem to connect with fans in the same way other albums do, but this was a re-hash of Greatest Hits tours gone by, and not a tour supporting the album she'd just released.

Not only was there an obvious lack of material from the album being performed; some of the songs that did make the cut were... questionable. While it was a perfectly fun way to open the show, Les Sex being the weakest track from Kiss Me Once really didn't set the tone or promise there'd be much from the album that would have us gagging in surprise. Some of the album's better songs did have their moment to shine later on in the set, with a beautiful laser show (in the same vein as Lost Without You on the Golden tour) for the title track, paired with Beautiful towards the end, while Into the Blue of course made an appearance as the final song to be performed. Ignoring the fact that this was only the Kiss Me Once tour by name (seriously - hearing the likes of Fine, Feels So Good and If Only live would have made for some of Kylie's finest live performances), there's a particular segment of the show that was so entertaining from start to finish...

I've already mentioned the Dollhouse segment, but this was a real step back in time that made you fall in love with her old hits all over again. Presented as a cartoon-style mega-mix with love hearts everywhere, Kylie recreated the same style of performance for Hand on Your Heart that we saw in the Showgirl tour before performing more old hits. Never Too Late and Got to Be Certain are highlights from this - Kylie managed to put a current spin on all of them, with stunning vocals. Then, to finish the medley off we saw her climb into a bubbling bathtub to recreate the I Should Be So Lucky music video. With that said, there are a lot of components of the show that, on their own, worked so well. Timebomb, to me, seemed like a surprising inclusion to the setlist, but worked so well married with the other songs in its act. Sexercize was a treat to hear live too - another recreation of the music video that worked well.

Overall, the Kiss Me Once tour is far from Kylie's finest road trip, but it manages to gel together well to make for an entertaining show all round when you incorporate some of her greatest hits. It has its moments, but it also has some moments that maybe you'd want to run out of the arena quickly to use the bathroom or grab yourself a drink. If Kylie's not invested in the music she's created, then it makes it difficult for us fans to invest in it. On top of that, performing a lot of the sub-par songs from the album (despite only 6 songs from Kiss Me Once being performed in total) leaves you hoping that there'll be some kind of epiphany in the future where songs like If Only, Feels So Good, Fine, etc, have their moment to shine on a second edition of the Anti tour.

Favourite performance:

Into the Blue gets a bad time of it. It's Kylie doing what Kylie does best, but its association with the Kiss Me Once era hinders it from being as fondly remembered as most lead singles, I feel. This was the moment I had been waiting for all night though. Kylie finished the main set with All the Lovers before returning to belt out, and dance the night away to, probably one of the only songs from Kiss Me Once that would guarantee everybody up on their feet and ending the night on a high. Hearing this live really cemented my love for the song, and I'd love for it to sneak onto another setlist in the future, although the chances of that happening seem very slim.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 14th June 2020, 12:00 AM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Even though I'm not a fan of the album I liked this tour, there was some great performances of other songs on it and I lived the medley performance on the tour. I prefer a few parts on this tour ahead of some on the list and it's rare you will see me compliment the kiss ne once era.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 14th June 2020, 03:31 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

6 songs from the album got performed and are some of the weakest components of the set list.
This aside, the tour offered great highlights and a rousing medley of classic much loved Kylie hits.
It is placed fairly on your countdown.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 14th June 2020, 04:19 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I would have closed the night with all the lovers and into the blue the 2nd last performance.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 14th June 2020, 10:10 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

The artwork for the DVD was dull and borderline boring for the Kiss Me Once Tour.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 14th June 2020, 10:51 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I completely disagree that Les Sex is the weakest track on kiss me once, apart from Into the blue is the strongest on the album for me.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 16th June 2020, 01:16 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Les Sex is a rare highlight from an album I feel offers very little.
Les Sex pails in comparison to album tracks offered on other Kylie albums but was a saving grace on Kiss Me Once.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 16th June 2020, 03:04 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Like the album itself the opinion on les sex is divided, i think some people think its the best on the album and others dont like it that much, it seems to be a love or hate song.

+Quote this post
Dannyboy
post 16th June 2020, 05:28 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 632

I think it’s terrible 😂

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 17th June 2020, 03:20 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

as i said i do like it but it would be way way down on my list of kylie songs, into the blue is the only song from kiss me once that might make my top 100 kylie songs from her whole career.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 18th June 2020, 01:52 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

It was an easy task for Les Sex to stand out when it was heavily surrounded by boring songs that did little to showcase Kylie as the artist she is.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 05:15 PM