BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 20 Years of P!nk - The Singles, Just Like a Pill
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
troublepink
post Jan 6 2020, 07:27 AM
Post #1
Group icon
Beautiful Trauma
User: 590
2020 marks 20 years of P!nk's career in music.

In 2000, Pink released her debut solo album, Can't Take Me Home. From now and throughout the year, a different topic will be posted (in this thread and separate threads) so celebrate each single, album, tour etc.

----------------------------------------------
There You Go

So for this week's discussion we have Pink's debut single, There You Go.

There you go was Pink’s debut single from her debut album Can’t Take Me Home. It was co-written by Pink, Kevin “She’kspere” Briggs and Kandi Burruss.
The song got many positive reviews and was compare to tracks from Destiny’s Child (Bills Bills Bills) and TLC (No Scrubs). It was described by MTV Asia as having an edgy cut that has all that it takes to top the charts. Rolling Stone commented: "Her debut has one awesome single in 'There You Go', whose wronged-woman sass is set to a stop-start groove so bling-bling it redeems a chorus that ends, 'Sometimes it be's like that.'"

Release History
20th February 2000

Peak Positions
Australia - 2
Germany - 65
Ireland - 19
New Zealand - 6
Sweden - 26
UK - 6
US Billboard Hot 100 - 7

Music Video
The music video was the first of many to be directed by Dave Meyers. It debuted in late November 1999.
In the music video , Pink's ex-boyfriend Mikey calls her asking for a ride, and she reluctantly agrees to give him one. Pink hops on a motorcycle and rides to the top of a parking structure overlooking her ex's apartment, where she calls him on her cell. She then accelerates her motorcycle, jumps off at the last second, and watches as it soars off the building and crashes into his apartment window before exploding into flames, burning the armchair and the PlayStation (which Mikey was playing on earlier in the video). Pink then jumps into a car driven by a new guy, giving her ex the middle finger as they drive off.

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
T Boy
post Jan 6 2020, 09:27 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177
I remember hearing it the day it entered the chart and it was catchy but I wasn’t too fussed by her. She caught my eye on TOTP that week though with the pink hair and everything. It’s very good for what it is and is a classic now!

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Jan 6 2020, 11:12 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
I remember seeing it on TOTP too, I think that was the first time I'd ever seen her or been aware of who she was.

I've never liked this song at all, but I do definitely remember seeing her hair and thinking "that's cool" and enjoying the energy she had.

+Quote this post
Riser
post Jan 7 2020, 01:28 AM
Post #4
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534
I only have the faintest memory of hearing this at the time, and that's because when the Most Girls video came out I recognized There You Go as the intro (that was my first time hearing two songs in the same music video, which amazed my 9-year-old self laugh.gif)

It was a rediscovery for me when she put it on her Greatest Hits, and from then on I've absolutely LOVED it.

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Jan 7 2020, 03:08 AM
Post #5
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
Literally her hair made me a fan early on. I've since had it myself as an adult :')

+Quote this post
troublepink
post Jan 7 2020, 07:32 AM
Post #6
Group icon
Beautiful Trauma
I remember I saw the video on one of the music channels, we'd only just got MTV, VH1 etc so I was constantly watching the music channels laugh.gif I fell in love straight away. She was so different than everyone else out there, and at the time I felt different from every one too.

I was big into TLC around that time as well, so her r&b phase with ctmh helped me to get into her. Then when my music taste changed to more rock/pop, so did Pink's when she released Missundaztood heart.gif

+Quote this post
troublepink
post Jan 14 2020, 12:01 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Beautiful Trauma
Most Girls

Release History
4th September 2000

Written by
Damon Thomas
Babyface

Album
Can’t Take Me Home

Peak Positions
Australia - 1
Canada - 2
Netherlands - 23
New Zealand - 2
UK - 5
US - 4

Most Girls was the second single released from Pink’s debut album, Can’t Take Me Home in September 2000.
The music video was directed by Dave Myers.

+Quote this post
T Boy
post Jan 14 2020, 09:49 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
Most Girls was the first Pink song I loved. There’s just something about it! Easily the best from her debut for me.

+Quote this post
troublepink
post Jan 15 2020, 08:32 AM
Post #9
Group icon
Beautiful Trauma
Its one of my favourite Pink tracks. Love the video to this as well heart.gif

+Quote this post
troublepink
post Jan 23 2020, 02:17 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Beautiful Trauma
You Make Me Sick

Release History
18th December 2000

Written by
Brainz Dimilo, Anthony President, Mark Tabb

Album
Can’t Take Me Home

Peak Positions
Australia - 25
Germany - 88
Ireland - 30
Netherlands - 62
New Zealand - 10
UK - 9
US - 33

You Make Me Sick was recorded for Pink’s debut album Can’t Take Me Home and released as the third and final single from the album.
The music video was directed by Dave Meyers.

Music video

https://youtu.be/MGfz0fv5wfQ

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MGfz0fv5wfQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Front row centre

Top of the Pops

CD:UK

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Jan 23 2020, 03:57 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116
You Make Me Sick for me is the worst single she’s ever done.

But There You Go is a BOP and Most Girls is my favourite thing from her debut era.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Jan 23 2020, 04:30 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031
I think Pink, 20 Years, 20 Singles, The Best Of would be a great name for a new Greatest Hits.

+Quote this post
T Boy
post Jan 23 2020, 05:59 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
I was never really into this. It’s ok but I don’t relisten on purpose.

+Quote this post
troublepink
post Feb 9 2020, 01:14 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Beautiful Trauma
Lady Marmalade

Release History
27th March 2001

Written by
Bob Crewe, Kenny Nolan, Kimberly Jones, Missy Elliott

Album
Moulin Rouge! Soundtrack

Peak Position
Australia - 1
Austria - 3
Canada - 17
France - 12
Germany - 1
Ireland - 1
Italy - 6
Netherlands - 2
Sweden - 1
UK - 1
US - 1

In 2001, the song Lady Marmalade appeared as part of a medley in the film Moulin Rouge!. For the film's soundtrack album, Christina Aguilera, Lil' Kim, Mýa, and Pink recorded a cover version; it was released as the soundtrack's first single in spring 2001. Produced by Missy Elliott and writing partner Rockwilder, it includes an intro and outro from Elliott. Lyrics were changed from the original version, transferring the song's setting from New Orleans to the Paris nightclub Moulin Rouge.

This version of the song reached number-one in its eighth week on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 and spent five weeks at the top of the chart, 26 years after Labelle's version had reached number-one, making Lady Marmalade the ninth song in history to top the U.S. chart as performed as different artists. It was the third airplay-only song in Billboard chart history (after Aaliyah's 2000 single Try Again and Shaggy's 2001 single Angel) to hit number one without being released in a major commercially available single format.
The song also holds the record for the longest reigning number one on Billboard's Mainstream Top 40 chart for an all female collaboration, topping the chart for nine consecutive weeks. Lady Marmalade is the best-selling single for Lil' Kim and Mýa. Lil' Kim also held the record for having the longest number one single on the Billboard Hot 100 for a female rapper, with Lady Marmalade being on the top of the charts for 5 consecutive weeks, until Australian rapper Iggy Azalea's Fancy surpassed the record by holding on to the number one position for seven weeks in 2014. The song was included on non-US versions of Aguilera's first greatest hits album, Keeps Gettin' Better: A Decade of Hits. Lady Marmalade was the top selling song of 2001 and has sold 5.2 million copies worldwide as of December 2001.

The music video, directed by Paul Hunter, shows all four performers in lingerie in a cabaret-style video (with rapper Missy Elliott giving an introduction) and was filmed in Los Angeles with sets built to resemble the actual Moulin Rouge night club around the turn of the 20th century. Interviewed by MTV News, the singers expressed their excitement about the video. P!nk predicted the clip would be like a "circus on acid". Christina gushed, "The video's going to be dope", while elaborating on the video's concept, "We're going to be having cabaret costumes. It's something you've never seen from us before. So, it's going to be fun." The video's art direction anachronistically merged hip-hop sensibility with the film's French cabaret setting, thanks to some props and costumes actually used in the movie, according to Hunter's office. Choreographer Tina Landon was hired to choreograph the video. Speaking on the collaboration, Christina said she embraced the idea of collaborating with Elliott, Pink, Mýa and Lil' Kim on the track as soon as it was pitched to her. "I'm a fan of all of theirs, and just to be in the same song doing something with them—collaborating, which I love to do, is a really big thing for me", she said. "And it's cool to be out there before my next album comes out there, too."
The video won the MTV Video Music Award for "Best Video of the Year" and "Best Video from a Film". The song won the 2002 Grammy Award in the category of "Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals".

Music video

Making of

Pink talks about Lady Marmalade

Try This Tour

Grammy Awards

Wango Tango

MTV Movie Awards 2001

+Quote this post
T Boy
post Feb 9 2020, 03:48 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
I remember this being massive. And to think that Pink wasn’t even considered the biggest star on this back then. She was considering more on a par with Mya, with Christina being the biggest draw at the time. Pink is clearly the biggest star on this in retrospect.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Feb 9 2020, 06:57 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116
Pinks sustained the biggest career longevity for sure.

I’d probably say Christina was bigger at their peaks (or at least then) and it’s also Christina who makes that song too, I don’t really consider it amongst Pinks discography but it definitely got more people aware of who she was and it earned her a #1 and GRAMMY heart.gif

+Quote this post
troublepink
post Feb 22 2020, 10:05 AM
Post #17
Group icon
Beautiful Trauma
Get the Party Started

Release History
9th October 2001

Written by
Linda Perry

Album
Missundaztood

Peak Position
Australia - 1
Canada - 11
France - 4
Germany - 2
Ireland - 1
Sweden - 3
UK - 2
US - 4

Get the Party Started was the first single from Pink’s second album, Missundaztood, written by Linda Perry. The song became one of Pink’s biggest hits, its success was spurred by heavy airplay in the US, which prompted the song to also peak at number four on Billboard's Radio Songs chart. It peaked at number two in the UK, where it was narrowly denied the top spot by the posthumous release of George Harrison's My Sweet Lord. It reached number-one in Australia and number-two in many European countries, most notably Austria, Germany, Italy and Switzerland, being held off from the top position by Shakira's smash hit Whenever, Wherever.

Get the Party Started was certified gold in Australia, Austria, Germany, France, Sweden and Switzerland, and in Norway it received a platinum certification. The song was nominated for a Grammy Award in 2003 in the category of Best Female Pop Vocal Performance, which it lost to Norah Jones's Don't Know Why. It won the award for "Favourite Song" at the Kids' Choice Awards of 2002, and at the MTV Europe Music Awards of 2002, it won the award for "Best Song".
Get the Party Started is often considered one of Pink's signature songs as she tends to finish her shows with this song in her encore section along with a ballad song such as Nobody Knows and Glitter In The Air. In December, the song was listed as number 81 on Rolling Stone's Top Songs of the 2000s.

Music Video
The music video was shot by director Dave Meyers in Los Angeles. At 1 minute and 46 seconds into the video, an American Flag is shown, a nod to the September 11 attacks which occurred around the single's release. The video uses an abbreviated version of the song, cutting out the last chorus, and also cutting out the instrumentals. The song's composer, Linda Perry, is seen as a bartender.
In the video, Pink is getting ready to go out, trying on different outfits. One of her friends picks her up, and they drive in a car bobbing their heads to the music. However, the car runs out of fuel, so they get out and steal two skateboards from two boys. Pink falls off her skateboard because men in a car are whistling at her. The women arrive at the club but are refused entry, so to get in they use a scaffold to reach the top of the building. Inside the club, Pink changes her clothes and starts to party; in the end Pink dances with two other dancers (Kevin Federline and Georvohn Lambert).
The video was nominated at the 2002 MTV Video Music Awards for "Best Pop Video" and won the awards for "Best Female Video" and "Best Dance Video".

Music Video

Making the video

I’m Not Dead Tour

Rock in Rio 2019

+Quote this post
T Boy
post Feb 22 2020, 10:42 AM
Post #18
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
I remember such a buzz for GTPS when it was being released! It was so infectious but very of it’s time but I still love it.

It was unlucky not to get to no.1 in the UK as it was beaten by George Harrison’s posthumous rerelease.

+Quote this post
Riser
post Feb 23 2020, 12:18 AM
Post #19
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534
I love GTPS even more now than I did back then! A great song to start her second era, it was such an obvious hit. I think it's aged well and hope it'll be fairly well known by future generations.

+Quote this post
troublepink
post Mar 7 2020, 09:32 AM
Post #20
Group icon
Beautiful Trauma
Dont let me get me

Release History
19th February 2002

Written by
Alecia Moore, Dallas Austin

Album
Missundaztood

Peak Positions
Australia - 8
France - 42
Germany - 10
Ireland - 5
Italy - 6
New Zealand - 1
Sweden - 5
UK - 6
US - 8

Don't Let Me Get Me reached number one in New Zealand, number six in the United Kingdom and number eight in Australia and the United States.
The song earned positive reports from music critics, but most gave sensitively mixed reviews upon her self-hating lyrical content. Robert Christgau in his consumer guide for MSN wrote that "Despite Pink's audacious claim that she's not as pretty as 'damn Britney Spears,' celebrity anxiety takes a backseat to a credible personal pain rooted in credible family travails, a pain held at bay by expression.” Jim Farber of Entertainment Weekly wrote that "In Don't Let Me Get Me, she turns self-loathing into a perverse kind of anthem."
Jason Thompson of PopMatters wrote, "on the power rock of 'Don’t Let Me Get Me,' Pink herself tells it like it is and attempts to break free from the image making machine. 'Tired of being compared / To damn Britney Spears / She’s so pretty / That just ain’t me.' Well, that’s debatable in itself, but the fact that Pink takes it upon herself to call Spears out should be nothing short of revelatory. Spears certainly has nothing on Pink in the vocal department. Pink can actually sing. And damn well, mind you."
Jim Alexander wrote a negative review, saying that the rest of Missundaztood is full of bad songs and that "'Don't Let Me Get Me' and 'Dear Diary' see all pop joy expunged for acoustic seriousness, dreary unobtrusive beats and lyrics about relationship woes and record company badness."

Music Video
The music video for Don't Let Me Get Me, shot by director Dave Meyers, depicts Pink as a high school student, in various scenes in which her nonconformity causes conflict with other students and school officials. A similarly-themed scene depicts her meeting with music executive L.A. Reid, who tells her that in order to obtain stardom, she will have to change everything about her persona, in order to exhibit a greater resemblance to Britney Spears, despite Pink's insistence that that is not how she sees herself. Yet another scene shows her modelling for the cover of a magazine, irritated at how she is being made up by the lighting technicians, makeup artists and other personnel involved in the shoot. The video then shifts to a scene in which Pink, now in control over her career, is welcomed back to her high school for a concert there.

Music video

Making the video

Scala 2002

I’m Not Dead Tour

Pepsi Chart Show 2003

Try This Tour 2004

AVO Sessions 2006

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:30 AM