BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
18 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Kylie Minogue ● The Singles Rate (RESULTS), RESULTS COMPLETED ON PAGE 17
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Padamic Tension
post 4th December 2020, 04:01 PM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

I have always loved better than today but i can see why it was a bad choice of single, i think 2 hearts and better than today would be much more appreciated by fans if they were album tracks only. Especially for you ive always had a soft spot for and its far far too low and same for tears on my pillow.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 4th December 2020, 09:31 PM
Post #42
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

I've been dropping beats since Back in Black

65. It's No Secret | 6.08 Highest Scores: 10: (Red Blooded Man, ___∆__), Lowest Scores; 2.5: (Stuart25)
64. At Christmas | 6.187 Highest Scores: 10: (Dannyboy, Qween), Lowest Scores: 3: (vibe)
63. The Loco-Motion | 6.22 Highest Scores: 10: (Pippa, Feel The Fever), Lowest Scores: 3/3.5: (blacksquare, Stuart25, Qween)
62. Santa Baby | 6.26 Highest Scores: 10: (elf), Lowest Scores: 4: (Pippa, Feel The Fever, Jade)
61. Kids (ft Robbie Williams) | 6.28 Highest Scores: 10: (Simon, vibe, Spiceboy), Lowest Scores: 1/1.5: (dabblie, Stuart25)

At #65 is It's No Secret, released in December 1988 as the 3rd American single from her debut studio album Kylie & was intended to be released as the 5th official single worldwide, but due to the success and longevity of Kylie's massive selling duet with Jason Donovan, over the X-Mas period it was scrapped, then was gonna be released the following year, but was again scrapped in favour of new material & only ended up being released in a handful of countries. Due to it's limited release & therefore no promotion the song wasn't a big success with a top 40 peak in the USA & a minor top 50 peak in New Zealand. If this did get a proper release then it probably would have done well, however as it stands this is a really decent bubbly pop anthem that's probably one of the earliest examples of Kylie getting to stretch her voice and reach for those high notes in each chorus, alongside a nice melody, a decent tune overall, but doesn't pop in the same way the other singles on this album did.

#64 is At Christmas which was released in November 2016 as the lead single from the re-release version of her 13th studio album Kylie Christmas - Snow Queen Edition. One of Kylie's many X-Mas singles that's a fun little effort & full of the usual Kylie charm & with lots of jingling, saucy lyrics wrapped up in an infectious chorus, which gives this that extra sparkle of festive cheer. A fun time, nothing more.

At #63 is Kylie's first ever single The Loco-Motion, originally released in Australia in July 1987 as her debut single in that country under its original title 'Locomotion'. After an impromptu performance of the song at an Australian rules football charity event with the cast of the Australian soap opera Neighbours, Kylie signed a deal with Mushroom Records & resulted in this becoming a huge smash hit over there by topping the charts for 7 weeks. This success led to her signing a deal with PWL records in the UK & well the rest is history. In 1988 the track was re-recorded & released as the 3rd worldwide single from her debut album Kylie, where again it became a massive success by reaching top 5 in several countries including Canada, UK, USA, Austria, France, Germany etc.. & still to this day remains one of the biggest hits of her career. As you may or may not know that this song is a cover of Little Eva's 1962 hit which of course Kylie does a bang up job of & in its PWL makeover definitely gives this a stronger punch. Sure its dated & cheesy as hell, but its still a great 80's pop number with one hell of a catchy chorus & memorable hooks which really helps this classic pop track stand out.

Another X-Mas single drops & its Kylie's biggest one Santa Baby, which despite never getting an official release has become a firm holiday classic. Kylie originally recorded this cover in 2000 where it was used as a b-side to her 'Please Stay' single. Then due to its popularity a promotional CD single for "Santa Baby" was distributed by Parlophone in the United Kingdom in December 2000. The song finally got added to the tracklist of her 13th studio album Kylie Christmas in 2015, after years of it only ending up on various limited EP's & its popularity soared as to date it managed to finally crack the top 40 with a #38 peak & going onto sell by the bucket loads every year since with over 400,000 copies sold to date & earning a Gold disc. Kylie was born to cover this Earth Kitt classic which still manages to remain faithful to the original, yet given an updated feel where Kylie gets to wring all of her sexiness and sassiness into this seductive little bop that never fails to bring a smile to my face every Christmas.

The last of this bunch another massive hit drops, Kylie's duet with Robbie Williams - Kids, released in October 2000 as the 3rd single from her 7th studio album Light Years & 2nd single from Robbie's album Sing When You're Winning. The track was written when Minogue approached Williams to write her some songs for what would be her first album under Parlophone, which in turn that Williams felt the chemistry and decided to turn the song into a duet as well as include the track on his album and release it as a single. Upon release the song was an instant smash by peaking at #2 on the UK singles chart, further sustaining Kylie's comeback success of that year as well as hitting top 10 peaks in Iceland, New Zealand, Hungary, Ireland & Portugal. A show stopping epic that's not well liked by Kylie fans, but its not all that bad, this does have boast that big stadium rock chorus & superbly crafted lyrics that both artists sing with such glee & sizzling chemistry. I do admit that I don't really go back to this very often, on the whole its not all that bad.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 4th December 2020, 09:33 PM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031

The Loco Motion underperforming again.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 4th December 2020, 10:05 PM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I'm never surprised anymore seeing loco motion doing badly but il always love it.

+Quote this post
Dannyboy
post 4th December 2020, 10:13 PM
Post #45
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 632

At Christmas is the only song I rate here, ❤️ it and wish it was bigger than Santa Baby

+Quote this post
dabblie
post 5th December 2020, 05:56 AM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 116,075

Oof so many results to catch up on!

The IWGC hilarity! I do think it's hard to separately the song itself, the musical merit of it, from: the video debacle, the dancer pay debacle, and the low charting leading to the end of the KMO era.

I am a DIEHARD Kylie fan, but when it comes to her songs that I don't like, I REALLY don't like them laugh.gif Tears on My Pillow and Especially for You...I don't think I can appreciate these songs without being a Kylie fan during that era. Athough, there are PLENTY of PWL tracks I do love, such as fellow low-ranker It's No Secret. I literally feel like an alien whenever I see live audiences singing the entire EFY song back to her. I have no connection to these 2 songs whatsoever, and I've lived with them for almost 20 years by now. So yep, I'm partly responsible for crashing their rankings here tongue.gif

If You Were With Me Now...so, I'm a North American fan and I LOVE a lot of Soul/R&B music. This Quiet Storm ballad has never clicked for me, though. It's a total non-starter to my ears, versus WIO or Finer Feelings, which are much better takes on Black American musical influences IMO. Not to mention, this is the only Keith Washington song I know. I had never heard of him before!

I'm also one of the voters responsible for bringing down any Kylie Christmas singles. I'm not a Christmas person sleep.gif I don't remember the last time I played that album. BUT, I am delighted that Santa Baby has become an unexpected sleeper hit. What a nice surprise.

This post has been edited by dabblie: 5th December 2020, 05:57 AM

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 5th December 2020, 11:00 AM
Post #47
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

I enjoy 'Kids' every now and then, but she REALLY needs to ditch it from tour set lists.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 5th December 2020, 11:32 AM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I do like kids but agree about dropping it from the tour.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 5th December 2020, 12:17 PM
Post #49
Group icon

Time for another Re-Cap of Results 61-70

61. Kids (ft Robbie Williams) - 6.28
62. Santa Baby - 6.26
63. The Loco-Motion - 6.22
64. At Christmas - 6.187
65. It's No Secret - 6.08
66. Put Your Hands Up (If You Feel Love) - 6.08
67. Especially For You (ft Jason Donovan) - 6.04
68. Better Than Today - 6.04
69. G.B.I. (German Bold Italic) (ft Towa Tei) - 5.931
70. Tears On My Pillow - 5.82

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 5th December 2020, 01:58 PM
Post #50
Group icon

No judge or jury could ignore the evidence

60. Where Is The Feeling | 6.333 Highest Scores: 10: (___∆__), Lowest Scores: 3: (Slowdown73, Pippa, Feel The Fever)
59. 100 Degrees (ft Dannii Minogue) | 6.375 Highest Scores: 10: (Red Blooded Man), Lowest Scores: 1: (Stuart25)
58. Word Is Out | 6.38 Highest Scores: 8.5/8: (dabblie, ready for it, Dannyboy, elf, Qween), Lowest Scores: 3.5: (dandy)
57. The Other Boys (ft NERVO, Jake Shears & Nile Rogers) | 6.413 Highest Scores: 10: (Tawdry Hepburn), Lowest Scores: 0: (Stuart25)
56. Give Me Just A Little More Time | 6.5 Highest Scores: 9: (elf), Lowest Scores: 3.5:(dandy)

At #60 is Where Is The Feeling, released in July 1995 as the 3rd & final single from her 5th studio self-titled album Kylie Minogue. The song was originally a club hit for 'Within A Dream' in 1993 & was initially planned as the 2nd singe, although it nearly did not make album's final tracklist. It was postponed in favour of 'Put Yourself In My Place' , it was then scheduled for release in April '95, but was delayed for several months due to Kylie filming on the movie 'Bio-Dome'. The single version was given a radical remix for its release, into a more trip-hop with spoken word verses, making it completely different from its original form. Upon release the song performed fairly well with a #16 peak on the UK charts, but not fairing quite as well in Australia where it peaked at #31. This probably ranks as one of Kylie's uncommercial tracks to date, while in its original (& far better) form, its a bubbly cool dance anthem if perhaps clocking in at nearly 7 minutes, a little too-long. However in this form its completely unrecognizable taking a more dark & sultry approach sung almost entirely in spoken word that gives this a very sensual & sexual tone to it. This doesn't really cut it for me as this approach felt like a risk that didn't pay off & thankfully Kylie wouldn't go down this route again, as this don't suit her at all. I know many fans felt that this was a bad single choice, but given the 8 month gap between releases & the album being long gone by this point, nothing was gonna save this era. Maybe if this got released earlier like in say April like originally planned, then things may have turned out differently.

At #59 yet another X-Mas drops leaving only 1 left in the running. 100 Degrees which features her sister Dannii Minogue & released in December 2015 as the 2nd single from Kylie's 13th studio album Kylie Christmas. An alternate version of the song was released in April 2016 titled "100 Degrees (Still Disco To Me)", taking out the Christmas references. Kylie wrote this track about adapting to a winter Christmas in the UK after being raised in Australia and was inspired by Donna Summer's vintage disco classics. This is a fun little disco infused X-Mas anthem that starts quietly before bursting into a modern upbeat disco track with both styles blending really well together alongside some great vocal stylings from both artists.

At #58 is Word Is Out, released in August 1991 as the lead single from her 4th studio album Let's Get To It. This peaked at #16 on the UK singles chart which ended her run of 13 consecutive top 10 hits, but fared much better in Australia where it was given a more laid back Summer Breeze remix, resulting in a #10 peak. This has grown on me quite a bit through the years & always find it somewhat underrated, sure when compared to the 4 singles from 'ROL' it doesn't quite stack up. However I do commend her for at least trying something different & not just copying the same style as before, as this takes a more funky & soulful style, with the chorus awash with a fanfare of trumpets that shows Kylie in a more seductive side. The New-Jack swing sound has dated this somewhat, but its still a pretty decent tune.

At #57 is The Other Boys, a song performed by Australian twin sisters NERVO with Kylie, Jake Shears & Nile Rogers on backing vocals. The song was released in October 2015 & featured on NERVO's debut album Collateral. This definitely deserved to SMASH & if released 10 years before it probably would have with its club ready sound & stomping disco/dance beats alongside its stellar production makes for a fun time all round. A sure fire anthem with fantastic vocals by lifelong friends Kylie & Jake Shears, why didn't they collaborate together sooner. On the whole, just a great track.

At #56 is Kylie's cover of Give Me Just A Little More Time, a song originally sung by 'Chairman of the Board' in 1970. Kylie's version was released in January 1992 as the 3rd single from her 4th studio album Let's Get To It & became the album's most successful single by reaching a #2 peak on the UK charts. Elsewhere the song managed a top 10 peak in Ireland, top 20 in Belgium. In Australia it didn't fare quite as well by reaching a #24 peak, then managed minor peaks in both Germany & Netherlands. The song was one of the last tracks recorded for the album as it was suggested by Pete Waterman who was a fan of the original version & played it to Kylie who liked it & recorded her own version for the album. Of note this was the only single from this album to feature on her greatest hits collections 'Ultimate Kylie', 'The Best of Kylie Minogue' & the standard version of 'Step Back In Time''. Kylie does a bang up job with this cover which stays true to the original, even keeping the fantastic tongue rolling vocals, a highlight of the song for sure. This whole track is a joyous affair with some fantastic production that gives this that nostalgic magic.

+Quote this post
Dannyboy
post 5th December 2020, 02:36 PM
Post #51
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Where Is The Feeling is an average album track but I love the single version and video.

100 Degrees (ft Dannii Minogue) deserves to be lower, still think it’s one of the worst things she has done.

Word Is Out is so underrated in my opinion and deserves to be higher.

This post has been edited by Dannyboy: 5th December 2020, 02:37 PM

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 5th December 2020, 04:42 PM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Word is out was initially disappointing but over the years I've grown to love it, not a huge fan of either version of where is the feeling and still think it should never have been a single, 100 degress is alright but I really think they could have done something far greater together.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 5th December 2020, 06:29 PM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031

100 Degrees if better should have become the main single.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 5th December 2020, 07:37 PM
Post #54
Group icon

The devil's gone and left me a bruise

55. Crystallize | 6.52 Highest Scores: 10: (Pippa, Feel The Fever, Dannyboy), Lowest Scores: 2: (Stuart25)
54. Cowboy Style | 6.62 Highest Scores: 11: (dabblie), 10: (Qween), Lowest Scores; 2.5: (Nick F1)
53. Right Here Right Now (ft Giorgio Moroder) | 6.625 Highest Scores: 10: (dabblie), Lowest Scores: 3: (Stuart25)
52. A Lifetime To Repair | 6.68 Highest Scores: 8: (Nina West, Red Blooded Man, ___∆__, Dannyboy, Qween), Lowest Scores; 4: (Spiceboy)
51. Really Don't Like U (ft Tove Lo) | 6.854 Highest Scores: 10: (dabblie, Nick F1, HausofHitchcock, elf), Lowest Scores: 1.5: (Stuart25)

At #55 is Crystallize, released in June 2014 as a stand-alone single for charity. The song was originally recorded for her 2014 Kiss Me Once, but for whatever reason it didn't make the final cut. The song managed a #60 peak on the UK singles chart & had minor success elsewhere with top 40 peaks in Belgium, top 50 in Spain as well as minor peaks in Ireland & France. Despite being vastly superior to most of 'KMO' this was left off, this ranks up there with the many, many bad/wrong decisions made during that campaign. This bright & dreamy mid-tempo pop number is something of a lost little gem with its shimmering chorus & wonderful disco flecked production, this deserved far better than the raw deal it got, maybe it was all the bad hype the previous single 'IWGC' overshadowed this somewhat.

At #54 is another underrated gem Cowboy Style, released in October 1998 as the 4th & final single from her 6th studio album Impossible Princess for the Australian market only where it managed a #39 peak, becoming the album's lowest charting single there. The song is a Celtic Pop track which lyrically talks about her relationship with Stephane Sednaoui & gained positive critical reviews upon its release. This would be Kylie's last official release with Deconstruction Records, as she left that label due to the weak commercial performance of this album & its singles, which is why this didn't get a full scale release worldwide & her live performance of her 'Intimate and Live' used as its music video. A firm standout on 'IP' which sees Kylie tackling something totally different & new with this country-infused track that's set against a backdrop of dark synths & cool keyboard tones that gives this a very confident energy to it, alongside a folksy twang with a single violin knits each verse & chorus together, until the glorious middle-eight kicks in, making this one of Kylie's most interesting singles to date.

At #53 is Right Here Right Now, which is a song by Italian producer Giorgio Moroder with Kylie on guest vocals. Released in January 2015 as the 2nd single from his studio album Deja Vu & received mainly positive reviews & had minor impact on the singles chart in Europe and attained the top position of the US Dance Club Songs. This is a solid little track that fuses old school disco & modern synths that creates an infectious pulsating track full of well crafted beats & balanced by Kylie's fantastic vocals. A decent effort all round.

At #52 is A Lifetime To Repair, released in August 2018 as the 4th single from her 14th studio album Golden, with a radio edit of the song sent to radio earlier in that same month. Lyrically the song deals with heart break and failed relationships. This really goes all in on the Country sound of the album along with banjos, finger clicks & acoustic guitars, all of which gives it that hoedown feel, while at the same time still managing to maintain that glittery pop that Kylie's mastered by this point, giving this song an odd structure, but nonetheless a top-tapping tune all round.

The last of this bunch is one of Kylie more recent collaborations Really Don't Like U, a song by Swedish singer Tove Lo. Released in September 2019 as the 4th single from her 4th studio album Sunshine Kitty. The song came to fruition when Tove Lo met Kylie in Hong Kong at an AmfAR event and expressed interest to collaborate on a track. After pitching this track to Kylie & she decided to feature. Upon release the song received critical acclaim, but didn't hardly made any impact on the charts worldwide with a #74 peak on the UK download charts & #37 on the New Zealand hot singles chart. This electro-pop number is a mid-tempo affair with both singers in fine form, alongside some fine contemporary production. But honestly this doesn't do all that much for me as the chorus feels kinda weak, despite a nice beat running throughout. Just okay at best.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 5th December 2020, 09:44 PM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Crystallize should be higher,

+Quote this post
...ready for it
post 5th December 2020, 10:19 PM
Post #56
Group icon
I'm not asleep, my mind is alive.
Pronouns: she/her
User: 1,454

It's funny how I love the Kylie songs Buzzjack dislikes. tongue.gif

+Quote this post
dabblie
post 5th December 2020, 10:33 PM
Post #57
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber

I cannot deal with Cowboy Style landing outside the Top 50!! no.gif nono.gif Y'ALL!! Y'all see the 11 I gave it lmaoooo. Literally one of my all-time Kylie faves, to this day. And c'mon, the live versions in the Fever and Homecoming tours were amazing ohmy.gif

I also love WITF in all its forms. The single version was a thrilling surprise to discover. I hear precursors to IP and BL in that BIR remix.

Just realized that all the collab single rankings have been revealed lol

I'm also gonna make a Top 3 prediction: The One really ought to land in the Top 3 happy.gif

This post has been edited by dabblie: 5th December 2020, 10:45 PM

+Quote this post
Dannyboy
post 6th December 2020, 02:47 AM
Post #58
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Crystallize and A Lifetime To Repair deserve to be sooooooooooo much higher.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 6th December 2020, 03:24 PM
Post #59
Group icon

The next set of results will be posted in 4's up until the top 40. Here's some more clues - 2 of them are lead singles, any guess's?

+Quote this post
dabblie
post 6th December 2020, 05:48 PM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber

I'm gonna guess Some Kind of Bliss and 2 Hearts are the lead singles coming next tongue.gif I'm actually surprised 2 Hearts made it into the Top 50! I've always felt in the minority for loooooving it.

This post has been edited by dabblie: 6th December 2020, 05:50 PM

+Quote this post

18 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 10:34 AM