BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The Fosters / Good Trouble, New spin-off | January 2019
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
-Jay-
post Aug 1 2017, 12:19 PM
Post #1
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

Currently making my way through The Fosters (an American family drama)! Just started Season 2. biggrin.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Calum
post Aug 20 2017, 11:07 AM
Post #2
Group icon
nabad
User: 18,316
QUOTE(Jay ☆ @ Aug 1 2017, 01:19 PM) *
Currently making my way through The Fosters (American family drama), just started Season 2.

heart.gif How are you finding it, Jay? Is Stef your favourite character yet?

I've watched up to the season 3 finale, but never made a start on season 4. Need to get back to it soon though as I'm sure season 5 has just started laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Aug 20 2017, 01:09 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
Omg I need to get back onto The Fosters too, I think I stopped at like the start of season 2. I was enjoying it, I just ended up engulfed in other shows, bus with other stuff etc and it grinded toa half.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Aug 20 2017, 09:02 PM
Post #4
Group icon
QUOTE(Calum Hood @ Aug 20 2017, 12:07 PM) *
heart.gif How are you finding it, Jay? Is Stef your favourite character yet?

I've watched up to the season 3 finale, but never made a start on season 4. Need to get back to it soon though as I'm sure season 5 has just started laugh.gif

QUOTE(Liаm @ Aug 20 2017, 02:09 PM) *
Omg I need to get back onto The Fosters too, I think I stopped at like the start of season 2. I was enjoying it, I just ended up engulfed in other shows, bus with other stuff etc and it grinded toa half.

Ooh, glad to see that I'm not alone here in watching this! *.* I've been really enjoying it, and I'm half way through Season 4 now. ohmy.gif Hope you both find time to pick it up again! I wish it aired in the UK, it would have been great to watch this in HD rather than via the lowish quality rips that are online.

Oh yes, Stef is incredible! *.* I love how no-nonsense she is, but even though she's often stern, her heart is always in the right place. Love Lena as well! She's consistently lovely, although in a recent episode she completely flipped her lid at Brandon and it was such a life giving moment laugh.gif I'm here for more angry Lena. *_*) I've enjoyed the progression of Stef & Lena's relationship and the various troubles they've both faced head-on & managed to overcome. wub.gif

When it comes to their kids, Brandon is my least favourite character for sure. He's consistently terrible with his life decisions but remains incredibly self-righteous. drama.gif Callie is of course still getting into terrible situations that only she could find herself in :') She's so impulsive, but I'm always rooting for her. <3 I think Mariana is my favourite of their kids though, particularly this season. wub.gif Bitches get things done. *_*. Jude's rather adorable, I've liked that his realisation about his sexuality has been rather casually recognised/fully accepted by his family/friends. Lastly, Jesus 2 > Jesus 1! I think the new actor has brought a lot more depth/emotion to the character, he's more likeable now. Although I had appreciation for the original Jesus in his wrestling singlet. x

+Quote this post
Calum
post Aug 20 2017, 09:36 PM
Post #5
Group icon
nabad
User: 18,316
QUOTE(Jay ☆ @ Aug 20 2017, 10:02 PM) *
Ooh, glad to see that I'm not alone here in watching this! *.* I've been really enjoying it, and I'm half way through Season 4 now. ohmy.gif Hope you both find time to pick it up again! I wish it aired in the UK, it would have been great to watch this in HD rather than via the lowish quality rips that are online.

Oh yes, Stef is incredible! *.* I love how no-nonsense she is, but even though she's often stern, her heart is always in the right place. Love Lena as well! She's consistently lovely, although in a recent episode she completely flipped her lid at Brandon and it was such a life giving moment laugh.gif I'm here for more angry Lena. *_*) I've enjoyed the progression of Stef & Lena's relationship and the various troubles they've both faced head-on & managed to overcome. wub.gif

When it comes to their kids, Brandon is my least favourite character for sure. He's consistently terrible with his life decisions but remains incredibly self-righteous. drama.gif Callie is of course still getting into terrible situations that only she could find herself in :') She's so impulsive, but I'm always rooting for her. <3 I think Mariana is my favourite of their kids though, particularly this season. wub.gif Bitches get things done. *_*. Jude's rather adorable, I've liked that his realisation about his sexuality has been rather casually recognised/fully accepted by his family/friends. Lastly, Jesus 2 > Jesus 1! I think the new actor has brought a lot more depth/emotion to the character, he's more likeable now. Although I had appreciation for the original Jesus in his wrestling singlet. x

I wish it aired in the UK too, but it doesn't look like any channels have the time to invest in it unfortunately. One other thing I hope happens (but probably never will) are DVD releases, or at the very least a box-set release when the show ends, however I think the prospect of that is very unlikely. sad.gif

Lena annoys me sometimes, but much like Stef her heart's in the right place, as you say. 100% agree with you as well re. Brandon. I've not liked him since the beginning, and his relationship with Callie is so unnecessarily forced and cringe at times. Also questionable that after about 10 minutes of dating the other girl (is it Courtney?), he goes and buys her a house. laugh.gif

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Aug 20 2017, 10:40 PM
Post #6
Group icon
So true! :') He does seem to like a damsel in distress and to behave like he's their knight in shining armour... I refuse to believe Stef could have given birth to such a silly child tbqh x

Maybe I should have opened a thread for The Fosters. ohmy.gif *.*

+Quote this post
Theonix
post Aug 31 2017, 11:20 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BUY Phoenix on Amazon / STREAM Phoenix on Spotify
User: 8,661
QUOTE(Jay ☆ @ Aug 20 2017, 11:40 PM) *
Maybe I should have opened a thread for The Fosters. ohmy.gif *.*

Do!

I binge-watched the first two seasons last year and then slowly worked my way through seasons three and four; I'm almost caught up on the current season. Jude is by far my favourite character, I hate that he gets the least airtime but I guess the actor is a lot younger than the other kids so has to schedule more actual school. Brandon and Jesús are currently competing for my least fave. How does Brandon always get these girls that are SO far out of his league?!

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Oct 8 2017, 01:05 AM
Post #8
Group icon
Thank you for creating this thread, Joseph! *.*

I found The Fosters so easy to binge watch; it's such a feel-good programme that it didn't feel like a chore to get through 91(!) episodes. I was fully caught up before the three most recent episodes, and I was so impatient for them to air given that I'd gotten so used to watching them any time I felt like it. I'm assuming the second half of Season 5 won't be airing until February 2018! cry.gif

QUOTE(THEO. @ Sep 1 2017, 12:20 AM) *
I binge-watched the first two seasons last year and then slowly worked my way through seasons three and four; I'm almost caught up on the current season. Jude is by far my favourite character, I hate that he gets the least airtime but I guess the actor is a lot younger than the other kids so has to schedule more actual school. Brandon and Jesús are currently competing for my least fave. How does Brandon always get these girls that are SO far out of his league?!

Jude is one of my favourites too! He's had great character development across the seasons, it's just a pity he's not used a bit more! And you're so right about Brandon. laugh.gif At this point I think he's had three older girlfriends? I particularly found his relationship with the young mom to be sooo tedious.

P.S. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6II_D8W1h0 - this scene from the most recent episode... Stef's face is priceless, I laughed so hard when I first watched this! rotf.gif

+Quote this post
Theonix
post Jan 4 2018, 11:04 PM
Post #9
Group icon
This is back on Tuesday for the final run of nine straight episodes. It will then return for a three episode finale in the summer which will also act as the introduction for a spinoff series starring Mariana and Callie.

I'm really sad that this has been cancelled! I am pleased that it isn't the end for the characters though and I hope the other characters make frequent appearances throughout the spinoff.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Jan 8 2018, 11:42 AM
Post #10
Group icon
sad.gif Oh that's such a shame, only a few months after I discovered it! drama.gif Really looking forward to the rest of the season though, and the spin-off does sound quite promising.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Feb 14 2018, 01:19 PM
Post #11
Group icon
The most recent episode (Episode 15, "Mother's Day") was so brilliant.

Stef's panic attack scene was some seriously good acting from Teri Polo! Finding out exactly why Stef's been suffering with anxiety (Tess being back in Stef's life, and the confusion Tess is having with her sexuality, has triggered Stef when it comes to her deep-rooted feelings of shame regarding her own sexuality, her parents lack of approval or support when she came out, and also breaking up her own family [Mike/Brandon]) all made so much sense. Very powerful stuff, and I can certainly relate to the difficulty/pain with self-acceptance/coming out and the lingering effect that had on me. Beyond that, I loved Lena's little speech to Jesus in regards to sexism/feminism, and subsequently Jesus reading out a paragraph from his essay about his moms, was so touching. I actually feel so invested in these characters that there's been numerous occasions throughout the entire series that have made me feel emotional, and this episode was certainly an emotional one!

This review says everything I feel about the episode, and about the The Fosters in general: https://www.tvfanatic.com/2018/02/the-foste...ew-mothers-day/ wub.gif

I only discovered The Fosters around 6 months ago (totally by chance, I saw a gif set on Tumblr and it piqued my interest). I find it to be a huge shame that for whatever reason it wasn't ever aired in the UK, or at the very least made available on Netflix. It seems that it's pretty underrated even in the US. It's such a special show and it's tackled so many different issues in really compelling and sensitive ways... it really deserved more of an audience. I'm glad it's managed to last for 5 seasons, I'm just a bit sad that I discovered it so late!

(I think my only criticism of the show at large would be the characterisation of Brandon, in that many of the story lines he's been involved with just seem to be way beyond his years. Like, it's difficult to think of him actually being a teenage character who is still at school. He's gotten himself into positions of immense responsibility with older women, on two occasions... it's a bit draining!)

+Quote this post
Theonix
post Apr 4 2018, 01:10 PM
Post #12
Group icon
I completely agree with you about the Mother's Day episode! It was one of the best episodes ever and had so many moments of comedy alongside some rather traumatic scenes.

I've just finished episodes 18 and 19 which were broadcast back-to-back in celebration of the show's 100th overall episode and I'm actually really emotional! Brandon and Grace's trip to Los Angeles was so nice to see them both acting their age, especially given the circumstances that Grace took him there. I was really surprised that they gave Grace so short to live, I was actually sad to see her pass in the last episode given that I'd found her rather annoying during the majority of her time in the show. The graduations were so well done, it was really lovely to see Jesús, Marianna and Jude all graduating in flash-forwards although I was a little sad that Noah didn't appear in any of these as his and Jude's resolution during Brandon and Callie's graduation was nice to see and he's been the character that I've most rooted for during the series for obvious reasons.

I'm looking forward to the three-part finale although it won't be shown until June but all three episodes will be shown during the same week! I hope the rest of the family are still present throughout these and the future spin-off which has been announced to be a 13 episode run although I'm not sure when it'll be broadcast.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Jul 7 2018, 07:38 PM
Post #13
Group icon
I'm still rather cry.gif at this being over (I watched the final three episodes a few days after they aired last month). It's such a heartwarming series, I'd go as far as to say it's one of my favourites of all-time... I think I'd happily give it a second viewing!

I liked how the "Many Roads" episode ended from back in March (Time jump showing all of the Adams Foster kids graduating from Anchor Beach <3) and would have been quite satisfied if it ended there, but the final three episodes were good (Argh at the tease of Callie/Brandon potentially still having romantic feelings for each other, but I'm glad that they experienced a sense of closure on their doomed relationship // the final scene of them leaving their house to move elsewhere was a lovely/emotional ending to show.)

~

Joseph, Maurice & Harry are watching The Fosters at the moment (took them long enough after I mentioned my love for it last year xx) and they're racing through the episodes! *.* Looking forward to reading their thoughts here when they've finished!

~

By the way, the spin-off is called Good Trouble and it seems like it'll premiere sometime in 2019!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Jul 21 2018, 12:22 AM
Post #14
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530
(spoilers lie ahead, be warned)

I just watched the final episode and within less than two months, I've gotten to know this group of characters that are so likeable through and through. Jay had sung The Fosters' praises to me and finally I gave in and checked it out, and now I'm totally gutted to be at the end of their journey (well, not all of them...!).

What I love most about this show is the sense of familiarity. Whether you watch season 1 or 5, you see largely the same group of characters and it creates such a warm feeling, which I expect was the intention of a show all about families. It's impressive that along the way, they only lost one main cast member (and of course, recasted him)! The difference though is how the characters have progressed. The flashbacks in the final episode really hammered home just how much of a progression each and every character has gone through.

Stef and Lena are immensely likeable leads, superbly portrayed by Teri Polo and Sherri Saum. The atmosphere of inclusivity that they create for their kids extends to the audience, and I'd love to be a part of their family (although I wouldn't trade my own of course). Stef lays down the law so brilliantly, being firm but fair most of the time but I adore seeing her sensitive side (notably the panic attacks in season 5, was quite upsetting to see someone so strong suffering like that). Lena is my personal favourite character, always standing up for what she believes in, and I know I'd feel comfortable talking to her about my own problems. As a couple, I love how they've shown that being married isn't always perfect and that they've had their issues, but worked through them, no matter what stood in their way!

In terms of the kids, Mariana is my favourite! Consistently fierce and overall the most interesting one for me. It's a shame that after all of the guy drama in the fifth season, we didn't actually see her get with any of them. I think I shipped her most with Wyatt, they had an unusual but extremely cute relationship and I guess it's still cute that they seemed to date for a period of time at least! I loved her with Mat for a period of time but I feel they didn't quite connect in the end, she deserved a fresh start with someone who she didn't have so much history with (and not necessarily good history).

Callie was easy to root for despite her obvious flaws and often stupid mistakes. I was praying she'd finally get adopted and was slightly annoyed it took so long, and I totally adored the scenes she had with the Girls United crowd. Her bond with Rita was heartwarming and I think that's my only real criticism of the final season - we didn't get a goodbye scene from Rita! Out of all of her relationships, I think I was most rooting for her and Aaron, although she and AJ were pretty cute together at points in season 4.

However, I agree with Jay, Brandon was not so easy to root for. I found him quite miserable most of the time and he didn't do much to make me root for him like the others. The relationships with Callie and Courtney were particularly tedious, and don't get me started on all of the scenes at Idyllwild...! I did, however, appreciate his relationship with Grace in season 5 and her death was extremely sad. I enjoyed Mike more, his progression from flawed alcoholic to budding dad to all of Brandon, AJ and Isabella by the end of the show was lovely and I really like him and Ana together.

Obviously for Jesus there are two clear eras to compare. I initially enjoyed Jake T. Austin's Jesus although I found him to grow quite tedious towards the end of season 2 and he treated Emma pretty atrociously. I'm glad they rested the character before Noah Centineo began portraying him, Jesus felt much more refreshed for his comeback. He wasn't always likeable and I still think he treated Emma pretty badly at times, although much of the latter seemed to be a result of his TBI. Noah's portrayal was much better overall, and I most definitely will associate him with Jesus going forward.

My favourite male character had to be Jude. For obvious reasons, he felt the most relatable, and he tugged on my heartstrings right from the first season. His relationship with Connor was adorable and I felt quite upset when they had to split up. I didn't take to Noah quite so much but I always rooted for Jude to be happy. I loved how Stef and Lena unconditionally accepted his sexuality, much like everyone else in the family, whilst also tackling the issue of homophobia from Connor's dad.

I could probably go on but I've already written WAY more than I expected to laugh.gif but regardless, I feel such a huge connection to a show that I've only known a matter of weeks. That's just how powerful this show and its storylines are. I'll be missing it going forward but I'd be surprised if it were long before I rewatch! Bring on Good Trouble, and the good news is (and I'm putting it in bold and underlined in case anyone's like tl;dr x) Stef and Lena have been confirmed to be guest starring in Good Trouble!!!! The timing is impeccable, announced just as I finish binge-watching the original show laugh.gif

wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif can photos get more perfect??

+Quote this post
Theonix
post Aug 13 2018, 02:57 PM
Post #15
Group icon
I finished the three specials today and they gave me all the feels! Seeing the flashbacks from throughout the seasons really showed how far all of the characters have come in their storylines and I'm sad that we may not see some of them again!

I felt a bit ambiguous beforehand about Brandon getting married to essentially a brand new character but Eliza proved herself to be a strong character in the little that we saw of her and her family. Jamie and Carter were also interesting as characters and potential love interests to Callie and Jude respectively. I particularly enjoyed the latter's storyline, showing a much more mature side to Jude than we are used to and one that is so relevant and informative for the viewers. I'm very pleased to see that Jude will also be returning in 'Good Trouble' (see photo).

Jesús and Emma have always been a bit meh for me, I know that he hasn't treated very nicely but she has also annoyed me a lot. I won't miss either of them if they don't appear in the spin-off but I imagine Jesús at least will pop up in an episode or two.

I'm excited for Lena and Stef to return, their montage was probably the one that I found most emotional just based on all the shit that they've been through! Hopefully we hear news of Lena's campaign when 'Good Trouble' starts.

(The Joseph-nip is Tommy Martinez, a new character called Gael from 'Good Trouble')

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Aug 22 2018, 03:06 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Makes you wonder why they've stopped The Fosters as Noah Centineo has now been confirmed to guest star too laugh.gif Just missing Brandon from the core unit and to be quite honest, he can stay away x

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Sep 10 2018, 05:12 PM
Post #17
Group icon
.... and now David Lambert is confirmed too, we've got the full set :')

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Jan 17 2019, 11:13 AM
Post #18
Group icon
Two episodes of Good Trouble have aired so far. Anyone else watching? (I know Joseph is *.*)

I’m really liking it! heart.gif It’s more adult in tone than The Fosters ever was (that’s not a negative point though, it enables this show to stand on its own even though Callie and Mariana provide familiarity). There’s already an array of different issues being explored across a few developing storylines (Notably Mariana’s struggles to be taken seriously in a male dominated work place, and Callie’s conflict of interest clerking for a conservative judge), so I’m forward to seeing how these progress. Some great new characters too (Alice wub.gif ).

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Feb 6 2021, 04:32 AM
Post #19
Group icon
The Fosters is a part of the Disney+ Star launch line up in the UK and Ireland - this will be the first time it is legally available to stream here!

cheeseblock.png cheeseblock.png cheeseblock.png cheeseblock.png cheeseblock.png cheeseblock.png

It's one of my all-time favourite shows, so I'll definitely rewatch it. It'll be great to view it in HD and not have to contend with the endless pop ups on the free streaming sites despite having ad-block :') The struggle was real to watch all 104 episodes!

~

Good Trouble was consistently excellent throughout its first two seasons, and Season 3 starts on 17th February! I'm really hoping it'll be on BBC iPlayer alongside it airing in the US, but I'm fearing they'll wait until they can have a complete season box set... we'll see.

+Quote this post
Monzo
post Feb 10 2021, 05:56 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 349
I'm currently in season 2 and I'm still no fan of it. Even when Fosters characters are guest starring I'm not impressed.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:21 AM