BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Unbroken, Director: Angelina Jolie | Jack O'Connell
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Insomnio
post 21st December 2014, 12:21 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 10,742

I saw the official trailer one week ago and I was so impressed about it! Angelina Jolie directed this movie and it seems epic! Words cannot describe how amazing this woman is! It is scheduled for a wide release in the United States on Christmas Day 2014!

This post has been edited by Insomnio: 21st December 2014, 12:21 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 29th December 2014, 09:17 PM
Post #2
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
Pronouns: he/him
User: 8,674

One of those movies where the word 'enjoy' doesn't really work, but I liked this! It was nice seeing some of his childhood/Olympic times mixed in towards the beginning. Jack O'Connell gave a really good performance, the violence is brutal and for me the most 'shocking' bit of it all was probably the Americans being forced to punch Louie.

It's like a merger of Life of Pi and The Railway Man.

+Quote this post
Addy!
post 30th December 2014, 07:15 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,666

I've seen it last weekend as well and I liked it a lot, especially surviving ocean segment.

A bit dissapointed the way the movie ends but I guess that's how it was supposed to end lol.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 30th December 2014, 07:36 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Thoroughly interesting watch. Spent a bit too long on the lost at sea phase but some really compelling scenes in this.

+Quote this post
Insomnio
post 28th January 2015, 11:59 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 10,742

"Unbroken" is the third directorial debut of Angelina Jolie and it was released on Christmas Day in America. In my country, it was released New Year's day as advertised. It was definitely advertised a lot on TV and in cinemas for two whole months. "Unbroken" is based on the true story of the Olympic athlete Louis "Louie" Zamperini who experienced unpleasant events and hardships during World War II. Seeing the impressive official trailer, I was sure that this film would be great and it would have an interesting development. However, I was not satisfied with the result.
"Unbroken" was well directed and the performances were quite good but the script was not sufficiently adapted to the big screen. It seemed to me that the story had many hyperboles to the point of being annoying in some parts. Moreover, there were repeated scenes of sadism, which gave me the impression that Jolie envied the glory of "12 Years a Slave". However, at this time there was torture by a Japanese corporal on a white soldier and the background was a Japanese concentration camp. It seems that Brangelina were obsessed with the WWII last year after Brad Pitt starred in "Fury". The scriptwriters and Jolie were mainly focused on the suffering of the protagonist in the concentration camp. This is not evident in the official trailer as it contains a variety of different scenes. Personally, I was not moved at all with the story, because my perception of life is the exact opposite of that which the protagonist had. I am against to experience some very cruel situations and inhuman events that would create serious psychological problems in the future, just to live, so it is best to try to avoid them by any means. In this case, however, we saw a man who was afraid to die, was compromised with the sadistic behaviors of the psycho Japanese and finally wanted to forgive him after all that. Obviously, the film intended to heroize and to canonise the particular person because as we all know there aren't any heroes or "saints" in the current days. Also, the cinema, of course, is an organ that anyone can use to spread their message to viewers. However, if the scenario was excepted, "Unbroken" had very good filming, elaborate editing, great cinematography, loud sound effects and its official song "Miracles", which plays at the end of the movie credits, was one of the best songs from last year! It has also been nominated for three Academy Awards such as "Best Cinematography", "Best Sound Editing" and "Best Sound Mixing" despite being snubbed by the Golden Globes!
"Unbroken" had a strong beginning in the Box Office. It has outnumbered its budget ($65,000,000) and it has managed to collect double the amount of earnings worldwide! So, it can not be said that Jolie failed with her new work after "Unbroken" amassed many viewers in cinemas. It has been received a decent average score on IMDb (7,2) indicating that "Unbroken" was liked by the majority of viewers who evaluated it. However, I wouldn't say that its satisfactory earnings and the positive average score affect my point of view as I continue to believe that this film was made with the intent to cause impressions and nothing else.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 08:11 AM