BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> RESULTS: The Killers Singles Rate 2K24
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
awardinary
post 19th March 2024, 07:08 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587

Ok, let's begin these results.

For this evening, I will reveal the results for the ten Christmas Singles which 8 out of 16 of you took the time to assign scores for. So here is how those 8 votes turned out;

As a reminder, here were the Christmas Singles;

xx A Great Big Sled (feat. Toni Halliday)
xx Don't Shoot Me Santa
xx Joseph, Better You Than Me (feat. Elton John & Neil Tennant)
xx ¡Happy Birthday Guadalupe! (feat. Wild Light and Mariachi El Bronx)
xx Boots
xx The Cowboys' Christmas Ball
xx I Feel It In My Bones
xx Christmas In L.A. (feat. Dawes)
xx Joel, The Lump of Coal (feat. Jimmy Kimmel)
xx Dirt Sledding (feat. Ryan Pardey and Richard Dreyfuss)

10-6 will be revealed shortly...
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 19th March 2024, 07:28 PM
Post #2
Group icon

10. ¡Happy Birthday Guadalupe!
(feat. Wild Light and Mariachi El Bronx)

Release Date: December 1, 2009

Total Points: 36
Average Score: 4.5
Highest Rater: WhoOdyssey (7.5)

The song continues on with The Killers' tradition of releasing a Christmas song every year, and is the fourth consecutive annual Christmas song since 2006. All proceeds from the Christmas singles benefit the Product Red campaign. The song appears in the film Christmas Eve. A music video, starring Luke Perry, was released for the song on December 1, 2009. In it, Perry is a cowboy searching the desert for his long-lost love, a woman named Guadalupe.

9. Joel, The Lump of Coal
(feat. Jimmy Kimmel)

Release Date: December 1, 2014

Total Points: 43
Average Score: 5.4
Highest Rater: gavindeejay (9.0)

This song marks the ninth consecutive year in which the band has released a Christmas song. As with their previous Christmas releases, all proceeds from this song go to AIDS charities as part of the Product Red campaign. The song tells the story of Joel, a lump of coal living at the North Pole. Joel is excited when Santa chooses him to be a child's present, but he is disappointed to learn that instead of being a special gift, Santa is taking him to a naughty boy for Christmas. Joel reluctantly accepts his fate, but he soon realizes that he is just the present the naughty boy needs to help him change his ways. At the end, selfless Joel turns himself into a diamond to make the naughty boy happy.

8. Dirt Sledding
(feat. Ryan Pardey and Richard Dreyfuss)

Release Date: November 27, 2015

Total Points: 52 (more 8.0's)
Average Score: 6.5
Highest Rater: WhoOdyssey (10.0)

he song is the third and final chapter in a trilogy storyline involving a grudge-holding Santa Claus, following tracks Don't Shoot Me Santa (2007) and I Feel It in My Bones (2012). The song was named one of the best new holidays songs of the 2010s by Rolling Stone. The video features a reprisal of Santa Claus played by Pardey, as well as a spoken word section by Dreyfuss. The car used in the video is a Guards Red 1983 Porsche 944 which pays reference to the same exact one used in the 1984 John Hughes film Sixteen Candles (as heard in the lyrics).

7. Joseph, Better You Than Me
(feat. Elton John & Neil Tennant)

Release Date: December 16, 2008

Total Points: 52 (less 8.0's)
Average Score: 6.5
Highest Rater: Nina West (10.0)

The song speaks of Saint Joseph, the adoptive father of Jesus. Flowers, John, and Tennant take turns in describing the difficulties that he must have felt being a father to Jesus. They also sing of the public attention Joseph would have received. The music video features footage from The Living Christ series. Lead singer Brandon Flowers said it was great to work with two "real professionals" and "would love to work with them again".

6. Christmas In L.A.
(feat. Dawes)

Release Date: December 1, 2013

Total Points: 53
Average Score: 6.6

The song marked the eighth consecutive year in which the band has released a Christmas song. The song was written by Brandon Flowers and Mark Stoermer of The Killers and Taylor Goldsmith from Dawes. Irving Berlin also has a writing credit due to the song featuring lyrics from White Christmas. The video features actor Owen Wilson portraying a struggling actor in Los Angeles at Christmastime. Actor Harry Dean Stanton also appears as a voice of reason.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 19th March 2024, 08:49 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

Love ‘Christmas In LA’ overall a fan of the more serious Xmas releases. Although poor forgotten Joel, that poor lump of coal!

+Quote this post
Mangø
post 21st March 2024, 10:32 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 151

Presumably 'Boots' and 'Don't Shoot Me Santa' will be the top 2 Christmas ones smile.gif

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 21st March 2024, 03:34 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

I’d say Great Big Sled will come close!

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 21st March 2024, 03:34 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

I’d say Great Big Sled will come close!

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 21st March 2024, 10:36 PM
Post #7
Group icon

5. The Cowboys' Christmas Ball
Release Date: November 30, 2011

Total Points: 54.5
Average Score: 6.8

It is a country Christmas song recorded. The lyrics of the song were taken from the 1890 poem of the same name by William Lawrence Chittenden. John Lomax included the lyrics to this song in his book Cowboy Songs (copyright 1910) with these notes: "This poem was one of Larry Chittenden's Ranch Verses, published by GP Putnam's Sons, New York, has been set to music by cowboys and its phraseology slightly changed, as this copy will show, by oral transmission. I have heard it in New Mexico and it has been sent to me from various places,- always as a song. None of those who sent in the song knew that it was already in print." The Killers version has slight lyrical changes.

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 21st March 2024, 10:44 PM
Post #8
Group icon

4. I Feel It In My Bones
(feat. Ryan Pardey)

Release Date: December 12, 2012

Total Points: 57
Average Score: 7.1
Highest Rater: gavindeejay (10.0)

The song was the band's 7th consecutive Christmas song. As with their six previous releases, all proceeds from this song goes to AIDS charities as part of the Product Red campaign. The video shows Santa hunting down The Killers members in order to kill them, as they feature on his "Naughty" list. On his travels, Santa encounters a gas station attendant, played by Tony Vannucci, brother of the band's drummer, Ronnie. Upon seeing a reindeer's head mounted on the wall, Santa binds the attendant with tinsel and blows up the building with a decorated grenade. Santa continues to track down The Killers, walking into a house, where children have received a vinyl edition of The Killers' latest album, "Battle Born", where he commences to take the record off the gramophone and smashes it in half. The video concludes with Santa standing over lead singer Brandon Flowers' bed, laughing. The end credits roll and Santa's voice is heard as he sings "Silent Night". This is the third time The Killers collaborated with Ryan Pardey.

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 21st March 2024, 10:53 PM
Post #9
Group icon

3. Boots
Release Date: November 30, 2010

Total Points: 63
Average Score: 7.9
Highest Rater: gavindeejay / Steve201 (11.0)

The song continues The Killers' tradition of releasing a Christmas song every year, and is the fifth consecutive annual Christmas song since 2006. The snowglobe with boots in it is also a reference to Citizen Kane, as the opening scene shows the main character, Charles Foster Kane, dying while looking into a snowglobe. The song features dialogue from the Christmas movie It's a Wonderful Life. The video begins with a clip of George Bailey praying from It's a Wonderful Life and features Brad Prowly aka "Super Bad Brad", a famous New York City street performer.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 21st March 2024, 11:02 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

I think I've heard each Christmas song about once.

I meant to do a rate, but there was too much to familiarise/re-familiarise myself with and life took over.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 22nd March 2024, 07:38 AM
Post #11
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

As I have said I have the album with them all on it, great songs imo!

‘Boots’ def my favourite. Going for ‘Great Big Sled’ to win now!

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 22nd March 2024, 09:47 AM
Post #12
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

Didn't rate the Christmas songs but did rank them in December over in our 21st Century forum. My top 3 were Christmas Ball 1, Sled 2 and Boots 3rd so I'm championing 'A Great Big Sled' to come out on top now.

Cool seeing 'Boots' finish 3rd here as well though!

+Quote this post
JulianT
post 22nd March 2024, 11:46 AM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,705

Pretty fair results for the Christmas songs - not that far off my ranking. Don’t Shoot Me Santa to win.

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 23rd March 2024, 09:22 PM
Post #14
Group icon

Ok let's finish off the results for the Christmas singles, just two remain, and they are;

A Great Big Sled (feat. Toni Halliday)

vs.

Don't Shoot Me Santa

The result will be announced any moment...

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 23rd March 2024, 09:28 PM
Post #15
Group icon

2. A Great Big Sled
(feat. Toni Halliday)

Release Date: December 5, 2006

Total Points: 64.5
Average Score: 8.1
Highest Rater: gavindeejay / WhoOdyssey (11.0)

The song was recorded in mid-November 2006 with record producer Alan Moulder as a one-off track and the band's Christmas 2006 single. Moulder's wife Toni Halliday, the former lead vocalist of Curve, features on backing vocals. All of the proceeds from this song went to AIDS charities as part of Bono's RED campaign. A music video was released for the single, containing "candid" clips of the band members participating in various holiday celebration.

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 23rd March 2024, 09:30 PM
Post #16
Group icon

1. Don't Shoot Me Santa
Release Date: November 27, 2007

Total Points: 67
Average Score: 8.4
Highest Rater: gavindeejay / JulianT (11.0)

The song is The Killers' second Christmas download single following 2006's A Great Big Sled. The music video starts in a desert with a puppet version of Flowers and a puppet version of Santa in a puppet theater in Santa's trailer. Then, Santa pops up to say his part "I've got a bullet in my gun!" It goes to Flowers tied up in a chair with Christmas tree trimmings and Santa running around him. Later on, Flowers is tied up in Santa's car with Santa driving. It then goes back to the Santa's trailer with Flowers still tied up in a chair watching Santa dig up his grave. The band come up behind 3 small trees, break the trimmings, and escape in Santa's car, trailing him behind. Santa ends up covering up Flowers's puppet, and goes to the band (in puppet form) holding up a sign saying, 'Merry Christmas from The Killers'.

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 23rd March 2024, 09:34 PM
Post #17
Group icon

So there we have it, Don't Shoot Me Santa is your favourite Christmas single from The Killers, now let's move on to the main singles which you all voted for, and here is a list of them again for reference. Again, as before, I will stagger the results over a few evenings to spread out the presentation. Here are the 32 singles that you rated;

QUOTE(awardinary @ Feb 8 2024, 01:14 AM) *

The first of this list will be revealed in a moment...

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 23rd March 2024, 09:45 PM
Post #18
Group icon

32. Peace Of Mind
Release Date: October 7, 2016

====================
Total Points: 79.5
Average Score: 5.0
Highest Rater(s): Dexton / Mangø / WhoOdyssey (7.0)
Lowest Rater(s): awardinary / dandy* (3.0)

Released as part of the 10th Anniversary edition of the band's second studio album Sam's Town, this song failed to make any chart impact and no official music video was created for it. It is still listed as an official single, but it is not the most admired amongst fans on BuzzJack in 2024 and finished in last place.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 23rd March 2024, 09:48 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

Not one I knew much about when rating it!

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 23rd March 2024, 09:55 PM
Post #20
Group icon

31. Shadowplay
Release Date: October 9, 2007

====================
Total Points: 81.0
Average Score: 5.1
Highest Rater(s): Dexton (7.0)
Lowest Rater(s): jimwatts (2.5)

Shadowplay is a song by the English rock band Joy Division. The Killers recorded a version of the song for the 2007 film Control; this version plays during the film's credits and was included on the soundtrack album. The song became a live staple for the band's 2006-2007 Sam's Town Tour. The band's recording of the song was also included on the group's b-sides and rarities album, Sawdust. A music video, directed by Spencer Kaplan and Jonathan V. Sela, was released on 21 November 2007, featuring the band interspersed with clips from Control.

+Quote this post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 06:02 PM