BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
148 Pages V  « < 33 34 35 36 37 > »   
This thread is locked.Create a new thread
> 2020 United States Presidential Election Thread, biden is president-elect, trump is a disgraceful fascist
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
jakee
post 11th September 2020, 05:25 PM
Post #681
Group icon
i thought you wore the hairpiece for style
Pronouns: ·
User: 47

under no part of the law MUST results be announced on the night. they have in the past due to extraordinary effort but they weren't known on the night going back hundreds of years...
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 11th September 2020, 05:35 PM
Post #682
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53

QUOTE(jakee @ Sep 11 2020, 06:25 PM) *
under no part of the law MUST results be announced on the night. they have in the past due to extraordinary effort but they weren't known on the night going back hundreds of years...

No but the networks call it then one candidate concedes and the other makes a victory speech. Everything but an official announcemnt of the result as that depends on the delegate vote in December. Is that what you mean or do you mean the networks calling states before all votes are counted?

This post has been edited by Crazy Chris: 11th September 2020, 05:38 PM

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 11th September 2020, 05:38 PM
Post #683
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

QUOTE(Crazy Chris @ Sep 11 2020, 06:35 PM) *
No but the networks call it then one candidate concedes and the other makes a victory speech. Everything but an official announcemnt of the result as that depends on the delegate vote in December.

And the Democrats have to avoid conceding any states unless the gap is far too wide to be overturned by the postal votes.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 11th September 2020, 05:41 PM
Post #684
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Sep 11 2020, 06:38 PM) *
And the Democrats have to avoid conceding any states unless the gap is far too wide to be overturned by the postal votes.

Yes exactly.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 11th September 2020, 11:00 PM
Post #685
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

Something inside me thinks we will see a House of Cards scenario where the election gets cancelled due to a terror alert and Frank Underwood rules without a mandate 😂

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 16th September 2020, 08:27 PM
Post #686
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Scientific American has never endorsed a presidential candidate in its 175-year history. This year we are compelled to do so. We do not do this lightly.

The evidence and the science show that Donald Trump has badly damaged the U.S. and its people—because he rejects evidence and science. The most devastating example is his dishonest and inept response to the COVID-19 pandemic, which cost more than 190,000 Americans their lives by the middle of September. He has also attacked environmental protections, medical care, and the researchers and public science agencies that help this country prepare for its greatest challenges. That is why we urge you to vote for Joe Biden, who is offering fact-based plans to protect our health, our economy and the environment. These and other proposals he has put forth can set the country back on course for a safer, more prosperous and more equitable future.

The pandemic would strain any nation and system, but Trump's rejection of evidence and public health measures have been catastrophic in the U.S. He was warned many times in January and February about the onrushing disease, yet he did not develop a national strategy to provide protective equipment, coronavirus testing or clear health guidelines. Testing people for the virus, and tracing those they may have infected, is how countries in Europe and Asia have gained control over their outbreaks, saved lives, and successfully reopened businesses and schools. But in the U.S., Trump claimed, falsely, that “anybody that wants a test can get a test.” That was untrue in March and remained untrue through the summer. Trump opposed $25 billion for increased testing and tracing that was in a pandemic relief bill as late as July. These lapses accelerated the spread of disease through the country—particularly in highly vulnerable communities that include people of color, where deaths climbed disproportionately to those in the rest of the population.

It wasn't just a testing problem: if almost everyone in the U.S. wore masks in public, it could save about 66,000 lives by the beginning of December, according to projections from the University of Washington School of Medicine. Such a strategy would hurt no one. It would close no business. It would cost next to nothing. But Trump and his vice president flouted local mask rules, making it a point not to wear masks themselves in public appearances. Trump has openly supported people who ignored governors in Michigan and California and elsewhere as they tried to impose social distancing and restrict public activities to control the virus. He encouraged governors in Florida, Arizona and Texas who resisted these public health measures, saying in April—again, falsely—that “the worst days of the pandemic are behind us” and ignoring infectious disease experts who warned at the time of a dangerous rebound if safety measures were loosened.

And of course, the rebound came, with cases across the nation rising by 46 percent and deaths increasing by 21 percent in June. The states that followed Trump's misguidance posted new daily highs and higher percentages of positive tests than those that did not. By early July several hospitals in Texas were full of COVID-19 patients. States had to close up again, at tremendous economic cost. About 31 percent of workers were laid off a second time, following the giant wave of unemployment—more than 30 million people and countless shuttered businesses—that had already decimated the country. At every stage, Trump has rejected the unmistakable lesson that controlling the disease, not downplaying it, is the path to economic reopening and recovery.

Trump repeatedly lied to the public about the deadly threat of the disease, saying it was not a serious concern and “this is like a flu​” when he knew it was more lethal and highly transmissible, according to his taped statements to journalist Bob Woodward. His lies encouraged people to engage in risky behavior, spreading the virus further, and have driven wedges between Americans who take the threat seriously and those who believe Trump's falsehoods. The White House even produced a memo attacking the expertise of the nation's leading infectious disease physician, Anthony Fauci, in a despicable attempt to sow further distrust.

Trump's reaction to America's worst public health crisis in a century has been to say “I don't take responsibility at all.” Instead he blamed other countries and his White House predecessor, who left office three years before the pandemic began.

But Trump's refusal to look at the evidence and act accordingly extends beyond the virus. He has repeatedly tried to get rid of the Affordable Care Act while offering no alternative; comprehensive medical insurance is essential to reduce illness. Trump has proposed billion-dollar cuts to the National Institutes of Health, the National Science Foundation, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, agencies that increase our scientific knowledge and strengthen us for future challenges. Congress has countermanded his reductions. Yet he keeps trying, slashing programs that would ready us for future pandemics and withdrawing from the World Health Organization. These and other actions increase the risk that new diseases will surprise and devastate us again.

Trump also keeps pushing to eliminate health rules from the Environmental Protection Agency, putting people at more risk for heart and lung disease caused by pollution. He has replaced scientists on agency advisory boards with industry representatives. In his ongoing denial of reality, Trump has hobbled U.S. preparations for climate change, falsely claiming that it does not exist and pulling out of international agreements to mitigate it. The changing climate is already causing a rise in heat-related deaths and an increase in severe storms, wildfires and extreme flooding.
Although Trump and his allies have tried to create obstacles that prevent people from casting ballots safely in November, either by mail or in person, it is crucial that we surmount them and vote. It's time to move Trump out and elect Biden, who has a record of following the data and being guided by science.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 16th September 2020, 08:40 PM
Post #687
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

US 2020 Election debates:

First Presidential debate: Tuesday September 29th. Biden & Trump - Cleveland Ohio. Live on BBC News Channel and Sky News from 2am and repeated in full at 9am on Sky News and various other times tbc.

Second Presidential debate: Thursday October 15th - Miami Florida. UK live broadcast coverage tbc.

Third Presidential debate: Thursday October 22nd - Nashville Tennessee. UK live coverage tbc.

Vice- Presidential debate - Pence & Harris - Wednesday October 7th. Salt Lake City, Utah. UK live TV coverage tbc.

This post has been edited by Crazy Chris: 16th September 2020, 08:44 PM

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 16th September 2020, 10:30 PM
Post #688
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

Looking forward to these 😀

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 16th September 2020, 10:31 PM
Post #689
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Steve201 @ Sep 16 2020, 11:30 PM) *
Looking forward to these 😀

Me too, will catch them on Sky News later though. Not staying up.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 16th September 2020, 11:13 PM
Post #690
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

Get them Despacito the polls, Jack 💀

+Quote this post
Harve
post 17th September 2020, 12:01 AM
Post #691
Group icon
Cœur poids plume
User: 4,718

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Sep 11 2020, 07:25 PM) *
It has been clear for some time that Trump is likely to claim victory in some states before a result can safely be declared. No doubt Fox News will assist. After all, he has been doing all he can to discredit the integrity of postal voting and trying to ensure that his supporters are more likely to vote on the day while Democrats are more likely to vote by post.

Yeah there's not really going to be an election night.

Even beyond potential postal service sabotage, I don't trust any state with a Republican governor, secretary of state, or a Conservative-dominated supreme court, but even Democrat states have been struggling this year (New York taking a month to count primary ballots), though perhaps through incompetence rather than malice.

In November, I'll be looking at some states with a history of fair and efficient elections and minimal voter suppression: Oregon, Washington, Vermont, Minnesota, Maine, Colorado amongst others. This doesn't mean that results in these states will all be counted fast, but the decentralised nature of US election governance means that you can still have fair elections in some states, even when others (Georgia) are engaging in shenanigans. I hope that everyone who wants to vote will be able to vote in those states, which I doubt will be the case nationwide.

Those states have varying postal voting laws and only Minnesota is really representative of some of the potential tipping point states (Pennsylvania, Wisconsin - Arizona and Florida are quite unique, and sadly all of these most crucial states are likely to have unfair elections). I'll be looking at the swing in Minnesota, and if it's much larger in the swing in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and the rest of the midwest, then we'll have a good idea that something has gone wrong.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 17th September 2020, 04:26 AM
Post #692
Group icon

I am growing concerned particularly about Florida again, massive voter suppression going on down there by neutering the bill which allowed former felons to vote - only if they've paid off all their debts now, what an absolutely Republican thing to do. I'm going to go into election night expecting confusion as long as the race remains tight.

However there are signs that the Trump campaign is strapped for cash, they pulled ads out of Ohio, Iowa and Nevada. Biden is definitely outfunding him, I'm not holding my breath for them to put it in the most effective places though.

The Scientific American endorsement is encouraging, will only sink the MAGA cult deeper (and the people whose reaction is 'I want science to stay out of politics. Just the science please', who have to be incredibly blind to not see that the president is a harm to science), but might tip off whatever swing voters are left.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 17th September 2020, 08:15 AM
Post #693
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

QUOTE(Iz~ @ Sep 17 2020, 12:13 AM) *

Get them Despacito the polls, Jack 💀

omg I saw this but someone had but WAP over it instead - I thought that version was the real one 🤣

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 18th September 2020, 10:05 AM
Post #694
Group icon

trending with this announcement: Hitler Youth.

Anyone voting for him has got to be complicit by now. Every single step brings his regime closer in line with the Reich.

For all the jokes we can make about the Democrats being lame and out of touch (which they absolutely are), at least they're not trying to rewrite the education system to indoctrinate the young.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 18th September 2020, 01:10 PM
Post #695
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

We're entering The Party's Ministry of Truth territory here. Then again, maybe it won't change much, I mean when has America done anything wrong throughout histo-ohhhh wait.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 18th September 2020, 01:16 PM
Post #696
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

If anything, Americans in general are even more ignorant of the worst parts of their history as many Britons are of the worst parts of ours.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 18th September 2020, 03:35 PM
Post #697
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Watched an interesting YT vid about what happens if either candidate died before Nov.3rd or before Inauguration day. If Biden died before election day the DNC would have to quickly meet, maybe virtually, and vote again for a nominee. Harris doesn't automatically step up. It's by no means certain she'd win the vote either as she dropped out of the primaries fairly early. They could go for Sanders, Bloomberg or someone else. Clinton could even step in and seek the nomination, saying she was there to rescue the party!! The guy doing the analysis thinks they'd go for Sanders. ohmy.gif Then the nominee would have to choose another VP candidate. If it wasn't Harris they'd probably stick with her though. If Trump died obviously Pence would be President and seek the party's vote to be the Nominee but then again this is not certain. However with no time for primaries it's likely Pence would get the nod and have to seek a VP candidate too.

After the election it gets a bit more complicated. Most say Harris would become President-elect but not necessarily if Biden died before the EC actually met and voted for them. It's quite a grey area. Same with Trump and Pence. If the EC had met and she was VP Elect officially she would simply step up to become President-elect. She'd have to choose another VP candidate to be approved by the DNC.

This post has been edited by Crazy Chris: 18th September 2020, 03:52 PM

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 18th September 2020, 03:54 PM
Post #698
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Crazy Chris @ Sep 18 2020, 04:35 PM) *
Watched an interesting YT vid about what happens if either candidate died before Nov.3rd or before Inauguration day. If Biden died before election day the DNC would have to quickly meet, maybe virtually, and vote again for a nominee. Harris doesn't automatically step up. It's by no means certain she'd win the vote either as she dropped out of the primaries fairly early. They could go for Sanders, Bloomberg or someone else. Clinton could even step in and seek the nomination, saying she was there to rescue the party!! The guy doing the analysis thinks they'd go for Sanders. ohmy.gif Then the nominee would have to choose another VP candidate. If it wasn't Harris they'd probably stick with her though. If Trump died obviously Pence would be President and seek the party's vote to be the Nominee but then again this is not certain. However with no time for primaries it's likely Pence would get the nod and have to seek a VP candidate too.

After the election it gets a bit more complicated. Most say Harris would become President-elect but not necessarily if Biden died before the EC actually met and voted for them. It's quite a grey area. Same with Trump and Pence. If the EC had met and she was VP Elect officially she would simply step up to become President-elect. She'd have to choose another VP candidate to be approved by the DNC.

What a cheerful discussion mellow.gif

+Quote this post
p a v
post 18th September 2020, 04:14 PM
Post #699
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

Does that person know something that no one else knows?! Creepy.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 18th September 2020, 11:59 PM
Post #700
Group icon

Well, someone died. Ruth Bader Ginsburg has gone.

f***. Republicans will probably scramble to replace her before the election (they'll at least try, 'I don't know anyone by the name of Merrick Garland') and screw up the Supreme Court balance for potentially another decade or more.

also what sort of broken system lets the death of an elderly lady who probably should have retired years ago to avoid this situation put minorities in jeopardy?

+Quote this post

148 Pages V  « < 33 34 35 36 37 > » 
This thread is locked.Create a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 02:55 PM