BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Song Meaning, Lyrics meaning and stories behind the songs
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Better Man
post 15th October 2022, 06:28 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 12,584

You know, there are many stories and meanings behind all songs what Take That, Robbie have released by date.

If you will find some information about their song or just want to discuss some of them or want to tell something interesting about any song, please use this thread!

I'm sure it can be a great sharing between us!

This post has been edited by Better Man: 15th October 2022, 06:29 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Better Man
post 15th October 2022, 06:44 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

STRONG
(Robbie)

https://www.songmeaningsandfacts.com/robbie...lyrics-meaning/

Robbie Williams’ “Strong” has an interesting backstory in that it seems most pop singers are cool with having fans being obsessed with them. But when Robbie encountered such individuals firsthand, it rather raised an alarm within his soul.

Or put otherwise, it reads like he’s not the type of celebrity who is privy to being worshipped. So his response to such persons was to drop a song to let them know that, contrary to how they may perceive him, he is in fact far from perfect.

The Lyrics of “Strong”

The said song ended up being “Strong”. So to note, the chorus revolves around the singer letting the listener know that if they do perceive him as such, i.e. as being “strong”, then their perception is “wrong”.

The ways he goes about illustrating this point is by ‘confessing’ his addictions and moral shortcomings, i.e. having downed enough cigarettes in booze in his day, in addition to apparently having a less-than-ideal sexual history.

But the entire piece is not dedicated to the star singer trying to drive home that idea that he’s some type of exceptionally bad guy. Instead, as it progresses, a sentiment of remorse, on a very personal level, is also present – but even moreso an expression of encouragement.

And whereas the conclusive message he’s putting forth isn’t the most coherent we’ve come across, it does seem to be something along the lines of encouraging listeners to repent, for lack of a better word. That is to say that implicitly interwoven into this piece is the idea that no one wants to age, as Williams is, feeling as if they’ve squandered a significant portion of their youth on bad habits.

When was “Strong” released?

This track, which was released on 15 March 1999, served as the second single from Robbie Williams’ sophomore album, “I’ve Been Expecting You”. Said LP, which was issued through Chrysalis Records, stands as Williams’ most-successful as far as the BPI is concerned.

And “Strong” made its own contribution to the project’s success. The track peaked at number 4 on the both the UK and Scottish Singles Chart and also eventually achieving silver status in the former.

This is one of two songs Robbie Williams performed at the historical One Love Manchester concert in mid-2017. And in that instance, he modified the lyrics to reflect the historical backdrop which led to the creation of said concert.

This song once reportedly held the Guinness World Record in the category Most Karaoke Participants. This was made possible when no less than 125,000 people sang “Strong” simultaneously at a Robbie Williams’ performance in England.

The Writing of “Strong”

Robbie wrote “Strong” with Guy Chambers, the latter of whom also produced the track alongside Steve Power.

According to Robbie, he wrote this song in while lodging at a hotel in the German city of Köln (Cologne). He wrote the song in response to the obsessive fans who followed him everywhere he went and freaked him out.

These obsessive fans apparently followed Robbie to his Köln hotel and got him totally freaked out. According to him, at this point he was doing his best to stay away from these fans. It is not clear if he was successful in his efforts to avoid the fans or not. But what is clear is the fact that it was at that point that he sat down to write “Strong”.

Chart Success

“Strong” was not a #1 hit, but it did receive Top-10 status in UK, New Zealand, Belgium to name a few.

United Kingdom #4
Belgium #8
Hungary #8
Iceland #7
New Zealand #9
Scotland #4

In the United Kingdom, “Strong” has so far sold over 200,000 units.

Cover Version

British rock band, Lower Than Atlantis, released a cover of “Strong” in 2014.

This post has been edited by Better Man: 15th October 2022, 06:45 AM

+Quote this post
Better Man
post 16th October 2022, 09:56 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

NOT OF THIS EARTH
(Robbie)

Matt Champion just posted this after Q&A session during Guy Chambers concert:

"I asked about Not Of This Earth. He said he couldn’t really remember writing it, but it was commissioned especially for Bridget Jones, he was sent the script to write the song from. He also said the author of Bridget Jones, Helen Fielding bought his house off him in Primrose Hill. And that Lily Allen had grown up on the top floor of that house before he owned it, and he’s now written a musical with her called Nosedive".

This post has been edited by Better Man: 16th October 2022, 09:56 AM

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 16th October 2022, 10:22 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,135

QUOTE(Better Man @ Oct 16 2022, 10:56 AM) *
NOT OF THIS EARTH
(Robbie)

Matt Champion just posted this after Q&A session during Guy Chambers concert:

"I asked about Not Of This Earth. He said he couldn’t really remember writing it, but it was commissioned especially for Bridget Jones, he was sent the script to write the song from. He also said the author of Bridget Jones, Helen Fielding bought his house off him in Primrose Hill. And that Lily Allen had grown up on the top floor of that house before he owned it, and he’s now written a musical with her called Nosedive".

Great Matt & Lucy met up with Guy, maybe they will do a podcast , I aways find them interesting

This post has been edited by Sydney11: 16th October 2022, 10:23 AM

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 16th October 2022, 10:30 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

If you are interested in a QUIZ - no cheating please laugh.gif

https://www.funtrivia.com/trivia-quiz/Music...-it-122470.html

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 16th October 2022, 10:33 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

From Robbie's Timeline - some videos in link

STRONG = Is he still scared of the fans sleep.gif

"With hoards of fans setting up camp outside his hotels, Strong carried an autobiographical message.

“I just wanted them to understand I’m not being rude, but I’m feeling a bit scared of everything,” he said.

Spending a week in the UK charts, Strong peaked at No.4 in March 1999.

https://robbiewilliams.com/pages/timeline/entry-strong

Directed by Simon Hilton, and using footage from his live performances, Strong gave fans a taste of the real Robbie."

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 16th October 2022, 11:24 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

BETTER DAYS
- B-side to Old Before I Die & will appear on the LTAL Anniversary edition due out in DEC

I had not heard this song before , I could not find any info about same, maybe someone else will have better luck. I did come cross a comment about South of the Border -

The third single of the album, "South of the Border", failed to make a significant impact on the UK Charts. When it was released in September 1997 it reached number-fourteen, and many considered this the end of Robbie Williams. - How wrong they were dry.gif

"Better Days" Written By ; Robbie Williams, Eric van Doorn, Desmond Child

I'm gonna write you a letter
I think the sooner the better
'Cause the time is right to find a better day
I'm an angry young man
Man I wish I was young
My guitar is out of tune even that's highly strung
And the words we didn't say last night
Shook the world to the core
We had nothing to say last night
We'd said it all before
And I say

Lonely times and lonely tears
Will fade away when you disappear
The time is right for me to stray
I'm gonna find a better day

Kicking off 'cause it suits me
I'm gonna leave the country
And the time is right to find a better day
Making sense of my past now
I'll only love when I want to
'Cause the time is right to find a better day
Maybe I didn't love you
Maybe you loved her less
Would you have preferred it
If I'd have worn the dress
'Cause I say

Nowhere to run to baby
Nowhere to hide
I got nowhere to run to baby
And nowhere to hide

This post has been edited by Better Man: 16th October 2022, 11:31 AM

+Quote this post
Better Man
post 16th October 2022, 11:34 AM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(Sydney11 @ Oct 16 2022, 02:24 PM) *
BETTER DAYS
- B-side to Old Before I Die & will appear on the LTAL Anniversary edition due out in DEC

I had not heard this song before , I could not find any info about same, maybe someone else will have better luck.

I did personally some description around it.

Here it is:

Many artists have realeased theis songs by that name, for example, Bruce Springsteen or OneRepublic but for Robbie it meant a lot by that time.
Freed from the fetters of Take That, the time of “better days” has come to him. Williams is a master at mixing something really emotional with an upbeat tune. So on Better Days, one of the first songs Rob and Guy Chambers wrote together he sends a letter to someone from the recent past. It seems that the girl with whom they can no longer be together but maybe Nigel Martin-Smith as well. The musical leitmotif in this classic Britpop track is the Hammond organ which is why the listener is transported to the "Summer of Love" rather than to the artist's closer spirit in the 90s, the period of the rebirth of this style. It is worth paying attention to some lines. "My guitar is out of tune even that's highly strung" evokes an allegory with a man in a disassembled state, agitated by what happened, and "I'm gonna leave the country" looks into the future of Robbie himself who will leave the UK in a few years.

This post has been edited by Better Man: 16th October 2022, 11:35 AM

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 17th October 2022, 02:25 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Better Man @ Oct 16 2022, 12:34 PM) *
I did personally some description around it.

Here it is:

Many artists have realeased theis songs by that name, for example, Bruce Springsteen or OneRepublic but for Robbie it meant a lot by that time.
Freed from the fetters of Take That, the time of “better days” has come to him. Williams is a master at mixing something really emotional with an upbeat tune. So on Better Days, one of the first songs Rob and Guy Chambers wrote together he sends a letter to someone from the recent past. It seems that the girl with whom they can no longer be together but maybe Nigel Martin-Smith as well. The musical leitmotif in this classic Britpop track is the Hammond organ which is why the listener is transported to the "Summer of Love" rather than to the artist's closer spirit in the 90s, the period of the rebirth of this style. It is worth paying attention to some lines. "My guitar is out of tune even that's highly strung" evokes an allegory with a man in a disassembled state, agitated by what happened, and "I'm gonna leave the country" looks into the future of Robbie himself who will leave the UK in a few years.

Thanks for that Betterman , you think the letter was to Nigel Martin Smith ohmy.gif . I doubt he would be that nice about it happy.gif

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 17th October 2022, 09:17 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

SEXED UP

Songfacts®: https://www.songfacts.com/facts/robbie-williams/sexed-up

"Sexed Up" is a deeply bitter breakup song Robbie Williams originally wrote alongside his longtime collaborator Guy Chambers in 1998. Williams claims he's indifferent to the fact his lover has left him, with the British singer snarling in the bridge: "Screw you, I didn't like your taste anyway." Williams later admitted "Sexed Up" came out harsher than he intended, adding: "I just found myself tripping over each lyric until it became that song, which is pretty vitriolic for a subject that's so heartbreaking."

After performing this song on The Robbie Williams Show in 2002, Williams denied it was about "a certain person who goes out with a guy in a rock band," before actually admitting "it might be." This is a reference to Nicole Appleton of All Saints, whom Williams was briefly engaged to in the late '90s. Appleton went on to date and marry Oasis frontman Liam Gallagher. This resulted in a nasty rivalry between the two men, culminating in Williams challenging Gallagher to a boxing match at the BRIT Awards in March 2000.

Williams initially offered this song to "Torn" singer Natalie Imbruglia. After she turned it down, he decided to keep it for himself.

"Sexed Up" was first released in demo form as a B-side to the I've Been Expecting You single "No Regrets." The demo version features slightly different lyrics, with Williams singing "I'll lay a bet, that I'm okay" instead of "I can't awaken the dead, day after day" in the opening verse.

The music video was directed by Jonas Åkerlund, who'd previously worked with Williams on the clip for "Come Undone."

American actress Jaime King plays Williams' love interest in the visual. King has since credited the video for boosting her career, with the former model going on to star alongside Bruce Willis in 2005's Sin City.

"Sexed Up" was released as the fourth and final single from Williams' fifth album, Escapology. The song peaked at #10 in the UK. "Sexed Up" also gained a huge amount of airplay in Brazil after appearing in the telenovela Mulheres Apaixonadas as the theme music for the characters Diogo and Marina.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexed_Up

"Sexed Up" is a song by British pop singer Robbie Williams, released as the fourth and last single from his album Escapology in November 2003. It was originally recorded for Natalie Imbruglia, who turned it down. Williams had earlier released it in 1998 in demo form as the B-side to his single "No Regrets".

There are two versions of the song, the album/single version and an unplugged version. The unplugged version has one different lyric line ("I'll lay a bet/that I'm okay" instead of "I can't awaken the dead/day after day" on the first verse) and the guitar solo before the bridge is one measure longer.

Chart performance
The single became another top-ten hit for Robbie Williams in the United Kingdom when it was released in November that year, peaking at number 10,[1] and it reached the top 20 in Australia, Denmark, Ireland, Italy and the Netherlands.[2][3][4] In Brazil, the was included in the soundtrack of telenovela Mulheres Apaixonadas, in which it played as the theme to the characters Diogo (Rodrigo Santoro) and Marina (Paloma Duarte), a young married couple plagued by infidelity. The single received a special limited release in Australia and New Zealand featuring a bonus live track, special packing and a bonus fold-out poster.

Music video
The music video was directed by Jonas Åkerlund and features the actress Jaime King.

Recording

Recorded in Los Angeles and London
Mixed at The Record Plant (Los Angeles)
Mastered at Marcussen Mastering (Los Angeles)

Personnel

Robbie Williams – writing, lead vocals
Guy Chambers – writing, piano, production, arrangement
Gary Nuttall – acoustic guitar
Neil Taylor – electric guitar
Melvin Duffy – pedal steel guitar
Phil Spalding – bass
Jeremy Stacey – drums
Luís Jardim – percussion
London Session Orchestra – orchestra
Gavyn Wright – concertmaster

Sally Herbert – orchestral arrangement
Steve Price – orchestral engineering
Tom Jenkins – assistant orchestral engineering
Isobel Griffiths – orchestral contracting
Jim Brumby – programming, additional engineering
Steve Power – production, mixing
J.D. Andrew – assistant mixing
Richard Flack – engineering, programming
Steve Marcussen – mastering

Original

Cover Version

Meaning behind Lyrics

This post has been edited by Sydney11: 17th October 2022, 10:10 PM

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 17th October 2022, 09:34 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I was looking for info on one of my favourite songs Handsome Man but very little out there unsure.gif

+Quote this post
Better Man
post 17th October 2022, 09:43 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

Thanks for Sexed Up cover - haven't heard it before.

Regarding Handsome Man - haven't done my search of it yet.
OK, it's a motivation to do it this weekend =)
Seems in yesterday interview there was mentioning of Handsome Man, wasn't it?

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 17th October 2022, 10:30 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

In relation to Sexed Up this article has to be just worth a read, very funny in parts . Talk about associating Sexed Up as being the title of an album & then mistaking the artist as being the late actor Robin Williams

Read this guys story

Robbie Williams – ‘Sexed Up – Forever Texas’ (2003) – Album Review

PUBLISHED ON August 19, 2020

There is nothing better than going through racks of CDs and finding something you’ve never seen before. I was at 2nd & Charles in Mathews, NC with my wife (she was looking at books) and I started digging through the used CDs. I started in the “A” section and within 30 seconds I stumbled across this album…Robbie Williams “Sexed Up”. Yes, in the “A” section as naturally that is where it would be instead of the “R” or “W” section. Makes total sense. It had Japanese or some Asian lettering on it so I snatched it up especially knowing that the price was only $3.50.

I did some research once I got home and all I could find out is that the CD is referred to as Robbie Williams – “Sexed Up/Forever Texas” and is an unofficial release. As a result, Discogs won’t sell it. I did see a copy on eBay for about $36 and Discogs had a single cd version on sale for over $100. Either way, my $3.50 is looking like a pretty great deal.

The packaging is great as the plastic CD case comes in this nice cardboard housing with a flap to open and remove your CD case. The disc is also labeled as an HDCD whatever the hell that is supposed to mean. I figured it was going to sound better, but it is CD, it already sounds good as a CD should.

The CD booklet had lyrics for most of the songs, however, they really weren’t put in an easy enough way to follow the flow of the song, but beggars can’t be choosey. It also had some great pictures of Mr. Williams as seen below…

Did you notice something wrong with that picture? If you didn’t, you need new glasses, contacts or laser eye surgery. The Mr. Williams is Robin Williams not Robbie Williams. Wow!! I think someone didn’t do their research on this at all. What a bonehead mistake.

The CD is a 2 disc compilation covering Robbie’s solo career up to the point which would put it at 1998-2003. There are 36 songs, however, it is not really a greatest hits as it is missing the first 2 album completely, ‘Life thru a Lens’. This is basically all the songs off ‘Sing When You’re Winning’, a handful from ‘Swing When You’re Winning’, a few from ‘I’ve Been Expecting You’ and most of ‘Escapolgy’ (but sadly, missing “Me & My Monkey”).

Overall, this is a great set of songs. Sound is wonderful and I guess it should be if it is HDCD. I really like the uniqueness of this release, the Japanese writing (I hope it is Japanese) and it is just cool to have. I like different and this is it. If I had to rate it, I would give it a 4.5 out of 5.0 Stars. If the compilation would’ve had “Me & My Monkey” and some songs from his debut, ‘Life Thru A Lens’, this would’ve gotten a 5.0 Stars, easily. If you are out and you see it, pick it up and look for under the “A” section as that seems to be where it belongs.

Click on link below for readers thoughts etc

https://2loud2oldmusic.com/2020/08/19/robbi...3-album-review/

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 18th October 2022, 08:51 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

The EDGE = from Under The Radar Vol 1

Written by Robbe/Guy & C Heath

I absolutely love this song, sadly there is very little info out there

This is what Smooth Radio said of the song

Robbie Williams has unveiled the official lyric video for 'The Edge', taken from his latest album Under The Radar Volume I. Whilst we're not the biggest fans of lyric videos (what is the point?), we do think this is one of the strongest songs on the album.

Williams announced his surprise album late in 2014 - it is a collection of songs that were recorded for previous albums, but failed to make the final cuts. "It’s loads and loads of songs that I've written that I’m incredibly passionate about,” he said, "I want you to hear them, otherwise they’re just going to remain in my computer!"

THE EDGE - Lyrics

I used to wander to the edge and look down
I used to pile up promises then leave town
You should have heard my best excuses
So profound, and so untrue
But now I wake up next to you

Each time I sleep feels like the world expires
To underline my most impure desires
Thought all of those who swear by love
They were meant to through and through

And the nights are still as long as they ever were
All the things that could go wrong, there they still occur
But where the violet sun breaks the morning air
It will find me there, next to you

I had to lose myself for years to find this
Mistook the cruelty and abuse for kindness
Didn't know yet walked to keep things shaft
My own blindness stole the view

And the nights are still as long as they ever were
All the things that could go wrong, they could still occur
But when the violet sun breaks the morning air
It will find me there, next to you

When did it all go right
When did it all go right
When did it all go right
When did it all go right

I used to wander to the edge and look down
I used to pile up promises then leave town
You should have heard my best excuses
So profound, and so untrue

(When did it all go right)
I'll always fall back from the edge and find a way to you
I'll always fall back from the edge and find a way to get you
I'll always fall back from the edge and find a way to get you.
Lyrics submitted by niteflite01

NEW MUSIC Robbie Williams releases an official lyric video for "The Edge"

NEW MUSICRobbie Williams releases an official lyric video for "The Edge"
At the request of fans, Robbie Williams has released a new official lyric video. This is for the song "The Edge", the fourth from the album "Under The Radar". Watch the clip on the InfoMusic.ro.

A few weeks ago, Robbie Williams had asked his fans on the online platform "Upfront With Robbie Williams" which song on "Under the Radar Volume 1" they wanted to watch in a future lyric video. The fourth single from the December 2014 release, "The Edge", garnered 36% of the total vote.
In a song-by-song presentation of the album, Robbie Williams said (jokingly) about "The Edge" that it referred to his relationship with guitarist U2 smile.gif "The Edge" is the stage name of David Evans.

"Under the Radar Volume 1" is Robbie Williams' 11th disc and includes demos, side tracks, and rarities. The singer released the album in December 2014, exclusively through his website. Only the first single, "H.E.S. (Heavy Entertainment Show)" benefited from an official music video. The following - "The Pilot" and "Love Is You" - were also promoted through animated lyrical clips such as "The Edge".

https://www.infomusic.ro/2015/02/robbie-wil...ge-lyric-video/

This post has been edited by Sydney11: 19th October 2022, 07:45 AM

+Quote this post
Better Man
post 22nd October 2022, 08:44 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(Sydney11 @ Oct 18 2022, 12:34 AM) *
I was looking for info on one of my favourite songs Handsome Man but very little out there unsure.gif

Tess, please check your email when you'll be available.

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 22nd October 2022, 09:15 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Better Man @ Oct 22 2022, 09:44 PM) *
Tess, please check your email when you'll be available.

Will do..

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post 22nd October 2022, 11:41 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,265

The Edge is a gorgeous song wub.gif

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 3rd November 2022, 01:11 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

ANTMUSIC - Original song by Adam and The Ants

It was reported at one stage that Stuart Leslie Goddard their dynamic lead singer had died but I am not so sure unsure.gif

Covered by Robbie as a B-side on No Regrets

I always loved this song, really like Rob's version , it's one of my favourite B-sides

Song facts

"Antmusic" is a song by English rock band Adam and the Ants, released as the third single in the UK from the album Kings of the Wild Frontier.[1]

"Antmusic" (often stylised as 'Antmusic') peaked at No. 2 in the UK in January 1981, being held off the top by the re-release of John Lennon's "Imagine" after his murder in New York City on 8 December 1980. In Australia, the single spent five weeks at No. 1 on the Kent Music Report and earned the band platinum certification for sales of over 100,000 copies.[citation needed] It also reached No. 2 in South Africa, No. 4 in Ireland, and No. 6 in New Zealand. In the North America, the song reached No. 14 on the US Rock Albums & Top Tracks chart, as well as number 19 on the National Disco Action Top 30 chart (alongside "Dog Eat Dog" and "Kings of the Wild Frontier"), but it did not find success in Canada.

The music video to "Antmusic" features the group playing in a discothèque with a giant juke box, and persuading the young audience to turn away from disco music and dance to the new-styled "Antmusic". The music video was directed by Steve Barron.

The song was featured in the 2015 film Ant-Man.

Source wiki

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post 4th November 2022, 12:47 AM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,265

Adam and The Ants were great back in the day.

Have happy memories of their music

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 8th November 2022, 04:56 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

SHE'S THE ONE - Released NOV 8th 1998

This simple piano ballad about finding a soulmate was originally recorded by the British rock band World Party for their 1997 album, Egyptology. The band's frontman Karl Wallinger told The Daily Telegraph he wrote the song in "10 minutes and recorded it in an hour." Despite the song winning an Ivor Novello Award in 1997, "She's The One" wasn't a hit for World Party. However, Guy Chambers, who'd played with Kurt Wallinger's outfit before becoming Robbie Williams' songwriting partner, heard the track when he was helping out on Egyptology. He suggested to Williams that he should record the tune for his I've Been Expecting You album. Featuring a restrained, almost whispered vocal from the singer it was released as the fourth single from the LP, becoming Williams' second solo #1 single in the UK.

"It was very strange," Wallinger recalled. "Nobody phoned to say they were doing it and they used the band I'd just been on a road with to record it."
Kurt Wallinger criticized Williams' version of his song and in annoyance the former Take That singer dropped it from his stage performances. Wallenger said that it irritated him because, "Robbie didn't sing the right words, 'cause he can't read probably. It was a weird one: you lose your friends but you make loads of money." Wallinger added at a World Party concert in London in September 2011: "The only difference between me and Robbie Williams is that I know who 'she' is." The song went on to win a number of awards, including a BRIT Award for Single of the Year and Best British Video in 2000. Meanwhile, Wallinger was struggling; World Party's Dumbing Up album was released in 2000 but it failed to trouble the charts and the following year he suffered a brain aneurysm which left him unable to speak. It took him five years to recover, and the royalty checks from "She's the One" were a lifesaver as he recuperated at home.

"The song had a much better time than me, popping off to the BRITs while I was at home eating crackers dipped in water," he said. "But it was lucky it was a hit. It's saved my ass financially for a few years while I was holding onto the handrail thinking, what happened?"
Williams said that he wanted to cover this song because the World Party original meant "an awful lot" to him after he left rehab for cocaine addiction in 1997. He continued: "I wanted one of those kinds of ballads on my album. I wanted to sing that song. And I wanted that song to be heard by loads of people."

The problem was, Williams rarely publicly acknowledged that it was Wallinger, not him, who wrote the song. It wasn't until November 2019, during a commercial for his album The Christmas Present, that Williams made light of the spat, with the singer joking that he wrote "She's the One" for Amazon's Alexa. The device responds that he didn't write the song, to which Williams confesses: "No, I didn't."

Directed by Nic Goffey and Dominic Hawley, the video sees Williams playing a coach to an ice-skating couple, portrayed by professional figure skaters Pamela O'Connor and Jonathon O'Dougherty. When O'Dougherty gets injured during practice, Williams takes his place for the final and receives full marks. Williams had tuition from Olympic gold medalist Robin Cousins for the clip.

One Direction performed a duet of this song with Williams during the final of The X Factor in December 2010. The band were subsequently eliminated from the competition the following day, finishing in third place overall.

"She's the One" was the fourth single released from Williams' album I've Been Expecting You. It was released as a double A-side along with FIFA 2000 theme song "It's Only Us." "She's the One" has since sold over 600,000 copies and been certified Platinum by the British Phonographic Industry.

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/robbie-williams/shes-the-one

SHE'S THE ONE - WORLD PARTY

SHE THE ONE - ROBBIE WILLIAMS

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 04:05 AM