BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Arrival, Aliens & Languages with Amy Adams & Jeremy Renner
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Regina
post Jun 24 2016, 11:14 AM
Post #1
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572
I've been looking forward to this for a while, but now we have some concrete news; a new title and a release date of November 11th.

When mysterious spacecrafts touch down across the globe, an elite team is put together to investigate – including language expert Louise Banks. Mankind teeters on the verge of global war as everyone scrambles for answers – and to find them, Banks will take a chance that could threaten her life, and quite possibly humanity.

Amy joined again by Jeremy Renner, her American Hustle co-star and also Forest Whitaker.

This post has been edited by Regina: Aug 16 2016, 02:49 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Regina
post Aug 16 2016, 02:19 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572
Trailer is now released, looks really good, not like your typical alien movie either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFMo3UJ4B4g

A more action packed trailer too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qot3GPhKEU

This post has been edited by Regina: Aug 17 2016, 05:16 PM

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Aug 17 2016, 05:14 PM
Post #3
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
The trailer is really good!

Excited for this!

+Quote this post
post Oct 6 2016, 07:47 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
This slayed me. A lot more subtle than I expected - not like some epic Interstellar type film, but there's so much to think about, it really gets the brain spinning.

Amy Adams is coming for B L O O D this awards season.

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post Oct 6 2016, 09:05 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471
QUOTE(Joe. @ Oct 6 2016, 08:47 AM) *
This slayed me. A lot more subtle than I expected - not like some epic Interstellar type film, but there's so much to think about, it really gets the brain spinning.

Amy Adams is coming for B L O O D this awards season.

So glad it seems to be more subtle than those other fall sci-fi films. The reviews have me salivating. Still at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes!

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Nov 10 2016, 10:39 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
a good movie 7/10, a little slow-paced, but a sort of lower-budget cross between Contact, Interstellar and Childhood's End. Amy Adams IS the movie, Jeremy Renner is good support and ditto Forest Whitaker. There is a twist, and I liked it very much, I almost always guess plotlines and this one I didn't. Clever.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Nov 10 2016, 10:47 PM
Post #7
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
To celebrate finishing my three controlled assessments in three days, we are doing a double bill of the Amy Adams movies (this and Nocturnal Animals!) *.* So hyped for this!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Nov 11 2016, 10:07 AM
Post #8
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
Hmm. Possibly the most overrated film of the year for me. It relied farrrr too much on that (AMAZING, I must say) twist. Once that was revealed, the film went from about a 4 to a 7. it was far too slow and just felt like it was meandering a little too much for the first 2 thirds of the movie.

Was really expecting to like this more than 'Nocturnal Animals' sad.gif I think it is all just disappointment atm. So I'll see how I feel about it once it's set in with me a bit more. But yeah for now, overrated and bland until the twist

In terms of Amy's performances, she was good in this, but she was better in 'Nocturnal Animals', so I hope it's that film she gets more recognition in, but I doubt it.

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post Nov 11 2016, 10:43 AM
Post #9
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2
I'm really in two minds over this, when I saw the trailer, it felt like pants, and I was thinking Interstellar which felt to pieces in the end. And the other sci-fi film Passengers which is due out soon with Jennifer Lawrence, looks pretty much the same plot wise, but its got some great effects, apart from that I'm not holding out any hope for it. Judging by the reactions in here over Arrival, its not really my thing and I love sci-fi movies, I really don't get the hype over this and the excellent reviews it has been given.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post Nov 12 2016, 02:43 PM
Post #10
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692
Agree with all the critics that this is really quite fantastic. I was shattered whilst watching it last night though so I'd like to watch it again in a fresher mindset, especially because I feel like there are a lot of small moments that can be interpreted differently once you find out what the aliens are on Earth for. I loved the non-linear layout of the plot and how it slowly revealed itself but kept you guessing right until the last moment. My jaw almost fell off when Amy was like 'who's that girl? I don't understand'. I didn't find that it dragged in the middle either, I found the linguistics and understandig side of it just as exciting as the rest so I was loving all of it really. I think I agree with Jonjo that Amy put in better performance in Nocturnal Animals on first watch but I'll be glad to see her get another nomination no matter what the film, a shame it probably won't be sixth time lucky for her :'(

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Nov 12 2016, 02:45 PM
Post #11
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
I'm pretty much in agreement with Josh once again about this!
Will post my proper review later but this is probably in my top 2 of the year! (Nocturnal Animals was a bit underwhelming on the other hand for me, again will post more later!)

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Nov 12 2016, 06:15 PM
Post #12
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
This was really quite something else, an absolutely and superb movie anchored by strong performances and the best plot twist of the year and possibly one of the best ever film twists I have ever seen. Amy Adams was absolutely spectacular in this, really hope it can garner her 6th Oscar nomination and Jeremy Renner was also really good in this! I hope this can receive a lot of Oscar nominations, especially Picture, Actress, Screenplay and the tech categories! The direction of Denis Vilenvenue was also excellent and he is really one of the promising directors around at the moment with this, the great Sicario and absolutely excellent and so underrated Prisoners under his belt (shame about Enemy being crap)! The story was fantastic and the script was great and I agree with Josh that it didn't drag in the middle for me either, I was utterly hooked throughout the entire film! Though I was hoping there would be some big moment like there is in most sci-fi movies to top the film off, but even though that never happened, the twist literally made all of that irrelevant as the twist really made the film and set it apart from others films of a similar ilk! I'm still thinking about that twist constantly, I never saw it coming one bit and I gasped when it was revealed that the daughter was actually Renner's daughter and the 'flashbacks' were actually flashforwards. The twist was done so cleverly and really is incredible! The score and the non-linear usage throughout the film was fabulous and this really is a modern masterpiece! Glad to all see this is heavily outperforming box office expectations!

In short: a way better Interstellar that made sense (and I adored Interstellar as well apart from not being able to understand anything that happened!)

10/10

+Quote this post
jark
post Nov 13 2016, 09:52 PM
Post #13
Group icon
something you consider rare
User: 2,990
QUOTE(Mart!n @ Nov 11 2016, 11:43 AM) *
And the other sci-fi film Passengers which is due out soon with Jennifer Lawrence, looks pretty much the same plot wise

Apart from SPACE (and even that is hardly a major theme here) they have precisely NOTHING in common!

This post has been edited by jark: Nov 13 2016, 09:53 PM

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post Nov 14 2016, 10:10 AM
Post #14
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674
Came out of this really confused about the timeline but discussing it with my Mum after and thinking about it, it starts to fit together. I think it could do with a second viewing like Josh says, to look out for clues, but at the same time I didn't really LOVE it enough to give it a second watch, merely liked it and enjoyed it. laugh.gif It didn't drag but it was rather slow. Some interesting themes and questions, I'd be expecting this to get a Best Picture nod (and that may carry Amy to be up for this rather than Nocturnal Animals).

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post Nov 17 2016, 11:30 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
I am in awe, what an incredible film.

This post has been edited by blacksquare: Nov 17 2016, 11:32 PM

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post Nov 17 2016, 11:30 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
QUOTE(UltraBasicWitch @ Nov 12 2016, 06:15 PM) *
This was really quite something else, an absolutely and superb movie anchored by strong performances and the best plot twist of the year and possibly one of the best ever film twists I have ever seen. Amy Adams was absolutely spectacular in this, really hope it can garner her 6th Oscar nomination and Jeremy Renner was also really good in this! I hope this can receive a lot of Oscar nominations, especially Picture, Actress, Screenplay and the tech categories! The direction of Denis Vilenvenue was also excellent and he is really one of the promising directors around at the moment with this, the great Sicario and absolutely excellent and so underrated Prisoners under his belt (shame about Enemy being crap)! The story was fantastic and the script was great and I agree with Josh that it didn't drag in the middle for me either, I was utterly hooked throughout the entire film! Though I was hoping there would be some big moment like there is in most sci-fi movies to top the film off, but even though that never happened, the twist literally made all of that irrelevant as the twist really made the film and set it apart from others films of a similar ilk! I'm still thinking about that twist constantly, I never saw it coming one bit and I gasped when it was revealed that the daughter was actually Renner's daughter and the 'flashbacks' were actually flashforwards. The twist was done so cleverly and really is incredible! The score and the non-linear usage throughout the film was fabulous and this really is a modern masterpiece! Glad to all see this is heavily outperforming box office expectations!

In short: a way better Interstellar that made sense (and I adored Interstellar as well apart from not being able to understand anything that happened!)

10/10

This!

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post Nov 20 2016, 10:57 AM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053
Wasn't a big fan of this, dragged on for too long & didn't grip me in the way I expected it to. Very good visually but not something I'll be revisiting in a hurry (or ever really).

+Quote this post
Severin
post Nov 20 2016, 04:05 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872
Actually, genuinely surprised by just how good this was. Whilst I was expecting a decent, thoughtful Sci-Fi flick what I actually got was one of the best and most intelligent from the genre in years. It manages to be suspenseful and intriguing as well as asking enough of the BIG questions that good Sci-Fi does well. And it also manages to give a thought provoking and reasoned case for its answers.

There is a 'twist', it's not a massive 'from out of nowhere' type shocker but a subtle and fluid shift in your perspective of what you've been seeing. It works really well and both the film and cast sell it convincingly.

Possibly my film of the year so far.

+Quote this post
PaulM1983
post Feb 1 2017, 10:29 AM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 6,471
Saw this last night. Wow. Stunning. Loved every minute of it. I was totally immersed in it and though we kind of guessed the twist quite early, it didn't spoil anything.

This one definitely warrants repeat viewing. And it's refreshing to watch an alien movie where the focus is something a little more intelligent and thought provoking, and not just about how gross they can look or how cool their space ship is.

+Quote this post
p a v
post Feb 3 2017, 12:25 AM
Post #20
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397
I saw this recently too and yup, it's incredible. There was no fighting, no action and no mission impossible and special effects which you can immediately associate with films about aliens but that's why I love it too.

Even saw a few explanation videos to dig deeper into the meaning of the movie. The whole thing is fascinating, especially for a language lover like myself.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:06 AM