BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Taylor Swift - Singles Rate: Results, FULL RESULTS ON PAGE 7...
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
...ready for it
post 23rd March 2020, 11:05 PM
Post #41
Group icon
I'm not asleep, my mind is alive.
Pronouns: she/her
User: 1,454

My favorites are dropping like flies. sad.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 24th March 2020, 07:40 PM
Post #42
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

QUOTE(Bjork @ Mar 23 2020, 01:01 PM) *
Oh surprised this is so low, who can give it a 0? :/
for me it's definitively in my top 5
the lyrics are just pure genious, brilliant

I CAN. sick2.gif

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 24th March 2020, 07:48 PM
Post #43
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

Take a deep breath as you walk through the doors

#24. Fifteen | Avg.6.968

Highest Scores: 9.5/9: (Jonjo, ready for it, Riser), Lowest Scores: 4: (Tawdry Hepburn, Bjork)

At #24 is 'Fifteen', released in August 2009 as the 4th single from her 2nd studio album 'Fearless'. The song was inspired by her very first experience of heartbreak at her freshman year of high school along with her best friend Abigail Anderson. After writing it she asked her friend for authorization to record the song (due to personal references in the song) and of course the rest is history. Upon release the song reached a peak of #23 on the US Top 100 and sold over 1.5 Million digital downloads & certified 2x Platinum. Elsewhere the song managed to chart in both Canada & Australia, making top 20 & top 50 peaks respectively.

This track is a key example of Taylor's early success with its watertight structure and the fact that her lyrics feel like realistic reflections of adolescence. Which makes this really embody the relatable innocence & vulnerability that has always been the core of her appeal. It also helps having a well crafted melody that's very infectious along with the mostly acoustic background really helps you visualize the narration of the song.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 24th March 2020, 08:52 PM
Post #44
Group icon

The war outside your door keeps raging on

#23. Safe & Sound [Ft The Civil Wars] | Avg.7.062

Highest Scores: 10: (FUTURE NOSTALGIA, Jade), Lowest Scores: 2: (Riser)

At #23 is the last non-album single to feature here 'Safe & Sound' which features alternative Country duo The Civil Wars, taken from 'The Hunger Games' soundtrack & released as a single in December 2011. The song is a departure from her previous Country/Pop releases, going for a moody Folk ballad & alternative Country sound. Upon release it was critically lauded & performed well on the charts by peaking at #30 on the US Top 100 & sold 1.9 Million copies and earning a 2x Platinum certification. Elsewhere it charted best in New Zealand at #11 while making top 40 peaks in Canada & Australia as well as charting in the top 75 in the UK.

This was a very interesting career path for Taylor at the time with its earthy simplistic folky style which creates a rather haunting & atmospheric landscape. But Taylor's breathy yet brittle vocals blends rather well with the duo's distinctive sound. Obviously she wouldn't fully take this direction for future releases, but once was more than enough in this case as while the track is eerily beautiful; the high notes don't entirely work with her vocal strength, but the duo's hushed harmonies blends well together & on the whole she makes it work and shows she can work in a variety of different emotional palettes in her career. On the whole I would definitely say that this is her best soundtrack single to date.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 24th March 2020, 09:17 PM
Post #45
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

love Safe and Sound but was a huge fan of Civil Wars, amazing band

+Quote this post
Jade
post 24th March 2020, 09:22 PM
Post #46
Group icon
I wanna keep all of your charm in a canister
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

'Safe & Sound' is stunning - my first 10 to drop out sad.gif

I remember listening to 'Fifteen' when I was about 12 and now I'm the same age as her song '22'... time flies

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 24th March 2020, 11:22 PM
Post #47
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

I am done. cry.gif Safe & Sound deserves so much better, there's just something so understated about the song that makes it absolutely beautiful and stunning heart.gif The melodies are gorgeous and I still go back to it all the time. Completely robbed off the Oscar, let alone being snubbed for a nom mad.gif at least the Globes knew the tea that year.

Should've Said No is by far the best on self titled and has aged the best on that album as well, a banger and I loved the Bad Blood mash-up on Rep tour! WANEGBT is such a fun lead single and is iconic *.* White Horse and Fifteen are good but both are FAR too high, meh

Christmas Tree Farm is a future classic for me, I'm lowkey still listening to it atm kink.gif Just SO joyous and great and christmassy aha, think it'll be my fave Xmas song overtime <3 and LWYMMD is just amazing, honestly it's aged so well for me, is my go to angry song and the video is just something else *.* I could probs write an essay on that song <3

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 24th March 2020, 11:23 PM
Post #48
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

I actually want an album of Safe & Sound/folk-like inspired songs from Taylor, that would slay x Also we love a Grammy winning beauty heart.gif

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 25th March 2020, 02:27 AM
Post #49
Group icon

I'm on my guard for the rest of the world

#22. Sparks Fly | Avg.7.218

Highest Scores: 10: (FUTURE NOSTALGIA, blacksquare), Lowest Scores: 4: (Bjork)

At #22 is 'Sparks Fly', a song wrote by Taylor when she was 16 years old, prior to the release of her debut single in 2006. Following a 2007 live performance of the track, it grew in popularity amongst Swift's fanbase. While she was recording her third album, she received requests by fans to include it on the album. The track later got released in July 2011 as the 5th single from her 3rd studio album 'Speak Now' & peaked at #17 on the US Top 100, as well as topping the US Country charts with sales of over 1.1 Million & earning a Platinum certification.

The track is interesting largely as an early demonstration of how Taylor's song-writing style was formed, which helps it stand out amongst the other tracks on the album simply because she wrote it when she was 16 with its overly melodramatic lyrics that does lend the whole thing a certain charm that captures the thrill and excitement of staring a new relationship set against a bubbly well crafted Country/Pop production which helps the whole soar. Always wondered why this never received a proper music video unlike the other singles from the album, maybe it was because that it wasn't meant to be included on the album in the first place, only down to the fans wanting it there. Well anyway its a more than welcome addition to not only 'Speak Now' but to Taylor's wonderful discography.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 25th March 2020, 09:44 PM
Post #50
Group icon

Every love I've known in comparison is a failure

#21. Ready For It | Avg.7.406

Highest Scores: 10: (FUTURE NOSTALGIA, ready for it, Tawdry Hepburn, Jade), Lowest Scores: 0: (WinterFreeze)

Just lingering outside the top 20 is 'Ready For It', released in September 2017 as the 2nd single from her 6th studio album ;Reputation'. The track received positive reviews who cited it as an improvement over the previous single and upon release the song performed well despite a somewhat messy release with top 5 peaks in Australia & USA, along with top 10 peaks in Canada, Hungary, Malaysia, New Zealand and UK, then finally top 20 peaks in Ireland & Lebanon.

If I have to honest...this doesn't rank as one of my faves by Taylor, but of positive note I do like the big brash hooks & the anthemic chorus, however its the jarring distorted production that brings things down, along with the stodgy dated dub-step that tries too hard to be dark, but feels unconvincing & just find it hard to enjoy it. The ill-advised bars & cringey rapping which doesn't flow well together at all. Although I would say that the music video is pretty awesome, but the song itself is more style over substance.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 25th March 2020, 09:57 PM
Post #51
Group icon

Here is a quick re-cap of the results = 21-30

21. Ready for It - 7.406
22. Sparks Fly - 7.218
23. Safe & Sound (Ft the Civil Wars) - 7.062
24. Fifteen - 6.968
25. We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together - 6.875
26. Should’ve Said No - 6.843
27. White Horse - 6.812
28. Look What You Made Me Do - 6.625
29. Christmas Tree Farm - 6.593
30. Teardrops on My Guitar - 6.562

What's remaining from each era =

Taylor Swift = 0/5
Fearless = 2/5
Speak Now = 4/6
Red = 3/7
1989 = 7/7
Reputation = 1/5
Lover = 3/4

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 25th March 2020, 10:01 PM
Post #52
Group icon

What's to come in the top 20 in chronological order =

Love Story
You Belong With Me
Mine
Back To December
Mean
The Story of Us
I Knew You Were Trouble
Red
Shake It Off
Blank Space
Style
Bad Blood
Wildest Dreams
Out of the Woods
New Romantics
Delicate
You Need To Calm Down
Lover
The Man

Thoughts, Predictions, do share....

+Quote this post
Riser
post 26th March 2020, 03:23 AM
Post #53
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534

New Romantics, Red, and The Story Of Us in the top 20 are all surprising to me, but glad to see it's not just her biggest hits remaining! I can see all three being out very very soon though.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 26th March 2020, 09:02 PM
Post #54
Group icon

Miscommunications lead to fall-out

#20. The Story of Us | Avg.7.437

Highest Scores: 10: (JosephInSpace), Lowest Scores: 4.5: (Nick F1)

Kicking off the top 20 is 'The Story of Us', released in April 2011 as the 4th single from her 3rd studio album "Speak Now". This track was something of a departure sound-wise for Taylor at the time in which it mixes Pop/Punk into her more familiar Country sound which met with mixed reviews by critics & became a moderate hit upon release by peaking at #41 on the US Top 100, becoming her first too miss the top 40, but still managed to sell over a Million copies & earn a Platinum certification. Elsewhere it also charted in Canada & the Belgian Ultratip chart.

This was the first indication of Taylor heading away from her usual Nashville Country roots to a more full on Pop sound, with chugging guitars & something approaching a post punk disco beat that dominates the whole thing. Full of high energy pep with fast paced bombastic verses which makes the lyrics really pop. This was an interesting little experiment for Taylor during her early years, but thankfully she would go on to make better singles in the same vein than this. As it stands this is a fine jumping off point.

This post has been edited by SamJudd: 26th March 2020, 09:11 PM

+Quote this post
Jade
post 26th March 2020, 09:05 PM
Post #55
Group icon
I wanna keep all of your charm in a canister
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

'The Story Of Us' is fantastic, it really reminds me of Paramore actually so that was a welcome brief departure for her!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 26th March 2020, 10:05 PM
Post #56
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

Sparks Fly and Ready For It are both incredible and both probs around where I'd place them as well! <3 I'm both shocked that the former isn't lower and the latter isn't higher though. The Speak Now singles acc all did better than I expected! And RFI has won the Reputation rate both times & is loved around here so I am shocked Delicate toppled it and also thought it'd be top 15 minimum ohmy.gif

The Story of Us was a 13 year-old fave and even tho I still love it, I wouldn't have it this high haha.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 26th March 2020, 10:08 PM
Post #57
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

you know what imma make some predictions for the rest of this:

I'd lowkey be surprised if any of 11-19 make the top 10 ohmy.gif (apart from SIO)

19. Bad Blood (I am SHOCKED this is still in and wasn't like bottom 10)
18. Mean
17. 22
16. You Need To Calm Down
15. Shake It Off
14. Back To December
13. Delicate
12. The Man
11. New Romantics

10. Mine
9. Out of the Woods
8. Red
7. You Belong With Me
6. Lover
5. Love Story
4. Style
3. Wildest Dreams
2. I Knew You Were Trouble
1. Blank Space

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 27th March 2020, 08:27 PM
Post #58
Group icon

Band-aids don't fix bullet holes...

#19. Bad Blood [Ft Kendrick Lemar] | Avg.7.468

Highest Scores: 10: (Jade), Lowest Scores: 2: (George.keh)

At #19 we finally lose one of her '89 singles 'Bad Blood', released in May 2015 as the 4th single from her 5th studio album '1989'. Remixed from it's original album form to feature American rapper Kendrick Lemar & lyrically deals with the betrayal by a close friend (mmm wonder who that was), while the album version received a mixed response, the newly remixed version was acclaimed by critics & became a huge commercial success by topping the charts in several countries including Australia, Canada, New Zealand & USA becoming her 4th to do so there, as well as top 5 peaks in South Africa, Lebanon & UK.

Getting Kendrick Lemar to do guest vocals on this track was a stroke of genius - his verses are potent & effective, as did stripping back the arrangement, leaving only beats and electronics on what was originally a pretty standard album track was a wise move that definitely makes the chorus feel more anthemic. However while I complimented the production side of things, the song itself is bit of a lyrical mess with a rather grating hook that barely feels like Taylor's work at all. While I do agree the single version is far better than the album version, I'd still say that this was one of her weakest efforts to date.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 28th March 2020, 07:13 AM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

agree on all accounts regarding Bad blood
the single version is great
but at the end of the end it's not her best song
and who cares about her beefs with other famous people

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 28th March 2020, 03:38 PM
Post #60
Group icon

We're happy, free, confused, and lonely at the same time

#18. 22 | Avg.7.5

Highest Scores: 10: (Monzo, SamJudd), Lowest Scores: 1.5: (George.keh)

At #18 is "22" (if that makes any sense), released in March 2013 as the 4th single from her 4th studio album "Red". The song, which describes the joys of being 22 years old, became part of a cultural phenomenon as celebrities and social media users began using its lyrics to celebrate their twenty-second birthdays. Upon release the song performed well on the US Top 100 by reaching the top 20, making this her 18th top 20 hit in total & going onto sell over 2.3 Million copies there. Elsewhere it performed better in the UK by reaching the top 10, as well as top 5 peaks in Israel, Belgium (Flanders) & South Africa, then top 20 peaks in Ireland, Lebanon & Canada.

Now this is a pure pop ditty greatness that kicks off with a twangy acoustic guitar before coming in with a thundering chorus & cool bubblegum synth beats that drives the entire track along at a brisk pace with her characteristic sharpness. Definitely one of her best non-romantic tracks in which she's more known for, its nice to see her change things up a little once in a while with something that's about having fun. Not everything has to have a deeper meaning to it & this is just a good time; however I do feel that this gets overlooked quite often by people other than Swift fans, but on the whole its still a fine number.

+Quote this post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 28th April 2024, 08:10 AM