BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Take That & Westlife
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
iamstrong
post Oct 14 2015, 12:54 PM
Post #21
BuzzJack Climber
Group: Members
Member No.: 20,036
   No Gallery Pics

I've read somewhere that Take That sold 45 million records and Westlife sold 50 million. TT will probably overtake WL in the next few years.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nirvanamusic
post Oct 14 2015, 01:40 PM
Post #22
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 16,950
   No Gallery Pics

I liked Westlife 1999-2002 when they were original songs before the laziness of becoming the worlds most glorified covers band. Mind you 99-02 they had already released quite a few covers already.
Question is if/when they reform in future after the standard success in UK/Ireland of a repackaged Greatest Hits and accompanying tour combo. Will they have any lasting success? I have only read bad things/opinions from those outside their fanbase. Unless it's just where I am in the UK that they aren't held in strong regard and if mentioned seem to provoke agitation and usually comments about what is wrong with music. Is their legacy tainted? Even waiting 10 years?
TT ended on a high and huge goodwill whereas I remember reading one article (The Guardian?) celebrating for music the day after Westlife split announcement and saying Westlife were for people who don't even like music. Articles weren't favourable from what I remember.

This post has been edited by nirvanamusic: Oct 14 2015, 01:42 PM

+Quote Post
TTer
post Oct 14 2015, 02:20 PM
Post #23
New Entry
Member No.: 22,527
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(iamstrong @ Oct 14 2015, 12:54 PM) *
I've read somewhere that Take That sold 45 million records and Westlife sold 50 million. TT will probably overtake WL in the next few years.

The news is fake.You'd better not believe it.
WL can only have high sales in UK/Ire.Their Sales in UK are 17.1 million.Therefore, where's the rest sales?
I don't think they sold 20 million outside UK.

+Quote Post
nirvanamusic
post Oct 14 2015, 02:39 PM
Post #24
BuzzJack Regular
   No Gallery Pics

I think It might be true as it can't be denied Westlife were huge in Asia especially Indonesia an the Philippines. I know this as there is a Westlife fan on another forum from the Philippines who is quick to point this out. In Asia the first three albums and greatest hits sold well then sales fell for them. Aside from Taiwan where TT have sold more albums I'm unsure about other Asian countries as cert info for 90-96 is hard to come by. Take That were definitely huge in Asia as the Backstreet Boys radio advert across Asia was ''Forget Take That! Now take this...the Backstreet Boys!' for their first album after TT split in March and they released in May.

One thing I have noticed about Westlife fans on other forums is they are happy to talk about any boyband but once Take That and their success in the UK is mentioned a lot of facts including the huge in Asia card come out and they seem very anti TT and critical. Most don't understand why WL are criticised a lot throughout the forums but not TT. 'What about Take That they were a naff boyband also' or along those lines. Not all but vast majority I don't know if they never believed the UK sales would ever be caught but it does seem that way. A lot of times they can't understand why so many of general public non fans don't like Westlife but do TT. The Gary Barlow is an over-rated songwriter card also comes out but at least he wrote for them from a young age and gave them a voice. Some of their fans even believe he deliberately wrote a dud in Lighthouse to end their career with...

This post has been edited by nirvanamusic: Oct 14 2015, 02:55 PM

+Quote Post
TTer
post Oct 14 2015, 03:31 PM
Post #25
New Entry
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(nirvanamusic @ Oct 14 2015, 02:39 PM) *
I think It might be true as it can't be denied Westlife were huge in Asia especially Indonesia an the Philippines. I know this as there is a Westlife fan on another forum from the Philippines who is quick to point this out. In Asia the first three albums and greatest hits sold well then sales fell for them. Aside from Taiwan where TT have sold more albums I'm unsure about other Asian countries as cert info for 90-96 is hard to come by. Take That were definitely huge in Asia as the Backstreet Boys radio advert across Asia was ''Forget Take That! Now take this...the Backstreet Boys!' for their first album after TT split in March and they released in May.

One thing I have noticed about Westlife fans on other forums is they are happy to talk about any boyband but once Take That and their success in the UK is mentioned a lot of facts including the huge in Asia card come out and they seem very anti TT and critical. Most don't understand why WL are criticised a lot throughout the forums but not TT. 'What about Take That they were a naff boyband also' or along those lines. Not all but vast majority I don't know if they never believed the UK sales would ever be caught but it does seem that way. A lot of times they can't understand why so many of general public non fans don't like Westlife but do TT. The Gary Barlow is an over-rated songwriter card also comes out but at least he wrote for them from a young age and gave them a voice. Some of their fans even believe he deliberately wrote a dud in Lighthouse to end their career with...

hahaha.The last sentence"Gaz wrote a dud in Lightouse to end westlife career" is so funny!
At the end of Westlife,they clearly imitate TT's music style so they couldn't hit.

+Quote Post
TTer
post Oct 14 2015, 03:43 PM
Post #26
New Entry
   No Gallery Pics

In Asia,TT has more sales in Japan,North Korea,China(Taiwan & Hong Kong) than Westlife while Westlife is more popular in Malaysia,Indonesia and Philippines.

+Quote Post
milly
post Oct 14 2015, 06:55 PM
Post #27
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 20,540
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(nirvanamusic @ Oct 14 2015, 05:39 PM) *

One thing I have noticed about Westlife fans on other forums is they are happy to talk about any boyband but once Take That and their success in the UK is mentioned a lot of facts including the huge in Asia card come out and they seem very anti TT and critical. Most don't understand why WL are criticised a lot throughout the forums but not TT. 'What about Take That they were a naff boyband also' or along those lines. Not all but vast majority I don't know if they never believed the UK sales would ever be caught but it does seem that way. A lot of times they can't understand why so many of general public non fans don't like Westlife but do TT. The Gary Barlow is an over-rated songwriter card also comes out but at least he wrote for them from a young age and gave them a voice. :heart:Some of their fans even believe he deliberately wrote a dud in Lighthouse to end their career with...

To be fair, they're not so far from the truth biggrin.gif Aside from the fact that I quite like that song - I'd probably like it even more if it were sung by someone with some kind of life form in their eyes -, Gary did say that he had shelved that song and the label just stumbled on it and decided to go with it for WL. It's not like Gary actually wrote that song with WL in mind. If they were foolish enough to accept it, now their fans should just stop moaning.
I don't DISLIKE WL, I just don't find anything to like about them tongue.gif
There's one thing I can't forgive them for and that's that they ruined You Raise Me Up. I love that song when sung by Josh Groban, I find it meh when sung by WL.
They could have sold 100 million more copies than TT and I still would have preferred TT. It's rare that I like just singers. I like to know that whatever an artist is singing comes from him/her.

+Quote Post
jay727
post Oct 14 2015, 09:14 PM
Post #28
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 12,273

Yeah, Gary wrote the song around the BW era I think I remember reading in the first couple of recording sessions with John Shanks to see if they would work well with him on their new record.
I also think i remember it saying on Gary's website before he revamped it that he was surprised the label wanted to use it.
It's an ok song, but more of a b-side if anything. Certainly shouldn't have been used to launch a GH record. Though it did make the top 40 when songs like Get Ready For It, Let in the Sun and even Face to Face couldn't...

+Quote Post
Regina
post Oct 14 2015, 09:22 PM
Post #29
Raining Shitter
Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,572

Backstreet Boys wipe the floor with them in terms of sales and quality tbh smoke.gif

Buy Nick Carter's new single I Will Wait on itunes.

+Quote Post
JamesKTBSPA
post Oct 14 2015, 10:50 PM
Post #30
New Entry
Member No.: 22,532
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(nirvanamusic @ Oct 14 2015, 06:39 AM) *

I agree you. WL used to be huge in China same level as Backstreet Boys. But now Chinese fan don't give a shit about WL and probably don't know who they are... like i do. dry.gif

+Quote Post
JamesKTBSPA
post Oct 14 2015, 10:52 PM
Post #31
New Entry
Member No.: 22,532
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Regina @ Oct 14 2015, 01:22 PM) *
Backstreet Boys wipe the floor with them in terms of sales and quality tbh smoke.gif

Buy Nick Carter's new single I Will Wait on itunes.

HAHA Chinese soldiers love BSB dance.gif
Buy Live Together on Itunes!

+Quote Post
TTer
post Oct 15 2015, 01:02 AM
Post #32
New Entry
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(milly @ Oct 14 2015, 06:55 PM) *
To be fair, they're not so far from the truth biggrin.gif Aside from the fact that I quite like that song - I'd probably like it even more if it were sung by someone with some kind of life form in their eyes -, Gary did say that he had shelved that song and the label just stumbled on it and decided to go with it for WL. It's not like Gary actually wrote that song with WL in mind. If they were foolish enough to accept it, now their fans should just stop moaning.
I don't DISLIKE WL, I just don't find anything to like about them tongue.gif
There's one thing I can't forgive them for and that's that they ruined You Raise Me Up. I love that song when sung by Josh Groban, I find it meh when sung by WL.
They could have sold 100 million more copies than TT and I still would have preferred TT. It's rare that I like just singers. I like to know that whatever an artist is singing comes from him/her.

I still suppose TT have 500 million sales,more than Westlife with 440 million

This post has been edited by TTer: Oct 15 2015, 01:03 AM

+Quote Post
nirvanamusic
post Oct 15 2015, 07:24 AM
Post #33
BuzzJack Regular
   No Gallery Pics

Backstreet Boys were good that can't be denied. In Asia loads of boybands were big apparently including the ones in the UK who weren't truly huge. Boyzone,A1,911 but even groups like Point Break and Ultra also. Does anyone know if Take That's 'rivals' East 17 were big in any Asian countries?

This post has been edited by nirvanamusic: Oct 15 2015, 07:31 AM

+Quote Post
jay727
post Oct 15 2015, 08:24 AM
Post #34
BuzzJack Gold Member

Backstreet were great, the Millennium album sold something like 30million worldwide I think.

Not sure about East 17. I think I remember Stay Another Day doing well in Japan, but then so did a lot of Take That's singles.

+Quote Post
TTer
post Oct 15 2015, 01:56 PM
Post #35
New Entry
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(jay727 @ Oct 15 2015, 08:24 AM) *
Backstreet were great, the Millennium album sold something like 30million worldwide I think.

Not sure about East 17. I think I remember Stay Another Day doing well in Japan, but then so did a lot of Take That's singles.

East 17 is flop in China.
Nobody knows them.

+Quote Post
pippa
post Oct 15 2015, 05:44 PM
Post #36
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 14,031
   No Gallery Pics

Are Backstreet Boys the biggest selling boyband or have One Direction taking over the title.

+Quote Post
Regina
post Oct 15 2015, 08:02 PM
Post #37
Raining Shitter
Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,572

BSB are on around 130 million records WW, so I think they have it in the bag still.

+Quote Post
jay727
post Oct 15 2015, 09:04 PM
Post #38
BuzzJack Gold Member

Incredibly impressive. TT still have alot of sales in them, both single and album.

+Quote Post
TTer
post Oct 16 2015, 03:02 AM
Post #39
New Entry
   No Gallery Pics

BSB is the best boyband in the world.
TT is the best boyband in Europe.
Nsync is the best boyband in America.
I think these three boyband are the best forever.

+Quote Post
TTer
post Feb 28 2016, 06:50 AM
Post #40
New Entry
   No Gallery Pics

I'm back!

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:03 AM