BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Favourite Era by Take That, Best era but dont base your vote on best album
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Favourite Era
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 33
Guests cannot vote 
pippa
post Oct 5 2016, 06:31 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 14,031
   No Gallery Pics

I have bundled releases and repackages into one essentially in this vote. For example Progress/Progressed/Progress Live were all of the one era. What is the best era from the above for you?

I ask you to base your vote on the album quality, the singles, the promotion, the tours, the interviews, DVD releases, everything really.

I look forward to reading the various opinions, thoughts, agreements and disagreements.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dylan62
post Oct 5 2016, 06:44 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Climber
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,185
   No Gallery Pics

This is an easy decision for me. As much as I love the Circus era - fab album and an amazing tour, BW wins hands down. A brilliant comeback album full of wonderful songs, great promotion/marketing, a fantastic tour /DVD and a brilliant initial release in Patience. At this point they were also releasing quality B sides.

2006 was when I became a TT fan and for me the period when all four appeared strongest as a unit, to such an extent I never imagined that within 6 years the 2012 Olympics would be Jay's last public performance:(

+Quote Post
pippa
post Oct 5 2016, 08:10 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

This is a tough decision as some of the era's were handled so well and executed brilliantly.

Beautiful World has great memories, the huge success of Patience was such a huge return to form and marked what was the start of a huge and memorable comeback. The ITV show (An audience with style) was excellent and what a fantastic way to promote the album. I remember Shine been performed and loving it and was so excited when i heard it would be the follow up to Patience. Shine going to number 1 showed that Patience was not a fluke success or successful for nostalgic reasons. Shine, again was a huge hit. The roaring success of the album cemented one of the greatest comeback ever and the demand for the tour cemented it even further. Excellent tour but looking back the staging was not as strong as what was to come down the line. Promotion was handled brilliantly, CD singles with excellent b sides, videos released in line with promotion and all was great. Then the questionable decision to release Id Wait for Life was a bit of a dampener on what was perfect up to that point.

The Beautiful World re-release was successful in its own right, catapulted what were already wonderful sales of the album and the killer single Rule the World to kick things off. Once again the era was back on track and ended in such great style with Rule the World becoming their most successful UK selling single ever.

The Circus was another great era but some cracks started to show in what would be long term future problems. The singles were starting to get a bit messy, promotion not tying together as strong as it had been with singles from Beautiful World. Greatest Day was handled very well but Up All Night could have been handled better and had this occured it would have reached top 10 status. Credit to the handling of Said it All, the different CD single versions greatly boosted its chart position, although i do believe it has a higher peak than Up All Night but sold less. No official fourth single although Hold Up a Light could have added to their collection of Top 20 Hits. The Circus album and live and unplugged version are wonderful, the Circus as an album is their best, the tour was amazing but the promotion and handling of singles was much weaker than Beautiful World.

Everything Changes again a wonderful era. The album that was their first Number 1 album and the album that housed their first UK number 1 single and 3 further chart toppers. Take That really became a household name in this era and Take That mania hit. They really promoted as much as they could for this era. Singles were much easier to handle back in these days as streaming, downlaoding wasnt around so i cant compare that fairly to the above two. The tour was excellent and from their first era together as band this was huge for them. I put this on the list as i felt some of the points needed to be mentioned but it doesn't hold the same place in my heart as Beautiful World and Circus era.

Now i must decide from Beautiful World and the Circus which i will vote for.

This post has been edited by pippa: Oct 5 2016, 08:10 PM

+Quote Post
dylan62
post Oct 5 2016, 08:31 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Climber
   No Gallery Pics

Surprised you went for BW, Pippa. For some reason I expected you to vote for The Circus era. I'd forgotten about the Abbey Road release, wasn't that wonderful? If the Abbey Road DVD had aired on TV I've no doubt it would have had a massive impact on their album sales.

The reason I love the BW tour is actually the simplicity of it. Whilst there were some stand out moments the music took centre stage, and aside from the 'lap dance' section I adored every bit of that concert. The centre stage part with EC and CIBM was quite beautiful. I loved the production for RTW and in spite of my general dislike of RLMF the BW production is in my view their strongest live performance of that song. If you remember they also did the New Year show at the 02 which aired on TV - good promotion yet again. I loved An Audience With - my only issue was the dance routine for Shine. I thought it was cringe worthy and they certainly didn't look comfortable performing it. The show itself was fab and they all came across so well. That era was marketed superbly - I do wonder what's gone wrong since then?

This post has been edited by dylan62: Oct 5 2016, 08:33 PM

+Quote Post
pippa
post Oct 6 2016, 01:25 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

For certain the Beautiful World era was marketed superbly and i forgot to mention the New Year show at the 02 in my post. And again you have a very valid point about if the Abbey Road DVD had aired on TV it would have had a massive impact on their album sales, had this happened sales of the Circus would have increased a lot i believe.

You are jumping the gun dylan62!! wink.gif about me voting for Beautiful World Era, i still have not placed my vote as i am having an overall think as i have such great fondness for both era's from very different perspectives.

+Quote Post
milly
post Oct 6 2016, 02:27 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 20,540
   No Gallery Pics

Beautiful World for me too. III may be my favorite album, followed closely by BW, but BW is definitely my favorite TT era, for a few reasons: the CIBM tour performance - mind blowing! -, An Audience with TT and the dvd documentary - the best and funniest they ever did. It helps that they won a couple of Brit Awards too, during that time smile.gif
I think they got everything right with the BW tour - the perfect balance between music and staging. It's with the Circus tour that they started to overdo it, in my opinion.

+Quote Post
dylan62
post Oct 6 2016, 05:09 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Climber
   No Gallery Pics

Sorry Pippa. Someone voted and I assumed it was you because of your post. smile.gif

When it comes to tours TT have made a rod for their own back. The balance was right for the Ultimate Tour and BW Tour and The Circus tour was such a magnificently well constructed show that it didn't necessarily over shadow the music. The problem did however stem from that tour. Because the production was so immense they assumed that people would expect bigger and better with each tour and they're now stuck with a dilemma. Do they go for a massive production because many come to see them for that very reason, or do they tone it down and possibly risk the wrath of those expecting a big show?

The balance wasn't right with Progress and in hind sight I don't think it was for III either. Hyde Park demonstrated that they could perform to a large crowd without a huge production. That show was rather muted production wise, some dancers but limited dance routines. What they did very cleverly was to up the light show which looked so beautiful as night fell.

I think the anniversary show will have a huge production. If they tour before that I'd like them to go for a more simple acoustic set /production as a contrast to other tours. The SISYL tour proved that fans/general public will love the show if the music is right. Gary's show was understated aside from the gorgeous suspended lights - it goes to show they don't need an elaborate set.

This post has been edited by dylan62: Oct 6 2016, 05:10 PM

+Quote Post
pippa
post Oct 7 2016, 01:43 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

After much consideration i voted Beautiful World as the all round package with everything considered was the best really. I do believe they will go all out for the anniversary tour with production, staging, set list and entertainment value. I would hope Robbie does not get as much influence as he did with the Progress production.

+Quote Post
milly
post Oct 7 2016, 03:30 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(pippa @ Oct 7 2016, 04:43 PM) *
After much consideration i voted Beautiful World as the all round package with everything considered was the best really. I do believe they will go all out for the anniversary tour with production, staging, set list and entertainment value. I would hope Robbie does not get as much influence as he did with the Progress production.

I don't think we have to worry about that too much:

"Robbie says when he tours he will take his family on the road but on the topic of his old Take That bandmates, he says he’s not sure when he will return."
“I’m agoraphobic so I’m a lone wolf — which sounds appealing but isn’t. I do have an email relationship with the boys but a friendship? There’s an eternal bond that will go on until we all pass away but I’m not friends with anybody apart from the wife and the kids.”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/19280...-album-release/

+Quote Post
Padamic Tension
post Oct 9 2016, 12:20 AM
Post #10
BuzzJack Idol
Member No.: 845
   No Gallery Pics

Some great points and great to read and while i do agree Beautiful World was handled excellently the Circus era just pips it for me. The album itself for me is stronger as was the tour but it was the live and unplugged release that sealed the vote for me as i love that album and i totally agree had it been televised the album could have got even more sales.

+Quote Post
pippa
post Oct 10 2016, 01:09 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

I wonder did they try to have any of it televised. If it had been televised in prime time viewing it would have had a hugely positive effect on the album. The Circus era as Beautiful World were just so strong and they were riding on the crest of a wave. Their is a part of me that misses those glory days but i always knew it would come to an end as that level of success can only last so long.

+Quote Post
jay727
post Oct 11 2016, 09:46 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 12,273

This is difficult, but I went with Circus. Their promotion, the singles, album and the tour were all magnificent.
I feel this is the album where they all started to feel at ease with each other and relaxed knowing they had a fan base out there still. Sales were incredible across the board too, and the live album and DVD were record breakers.

BW was close, but for me, Circus edges it.

+Quote Post
pippa
post Oct 12 2016, 01:16 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Excellent point about the Circus era and the guys been very comfortable with each other. Beautiful World in a sense took them by huge surprise but with the Circus they had a chance to cement their popularity and they did that magnificently and were also more used of been back in the limelight on a huge scale.

The Circus was such a wonderful era but the handling of the singles slightly annoyed me outside of Greatest Day. I really felt and still believe if the singles were handled slightly better they would have been bigger hits, i make special reference to Up All Night.

Beautiful World album outsold The Circus, i feel Beautiful World had more TV exposure than the Circus did. That said, the Circus DVD remains their biggest selling DVD by far and was a massive success for them and to my knowledge is one of the biggest selling music DVDs of all time.

+Quote Post
jay727
post Oct 12 2016, 02:35 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 12,273

Absolutely. I also like what they did with Said it All, releasing 3 versions of the single with different perks on each. Very clever marketing!

+Quote Post
pippa
post Oct 12 2016, 04:30 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Indeed Said It All was handled wonderfully well. Said It All seems hugely popular with many fans and is always welcomed greatly on tour, i like the song but i thought there were other songs that would have been better single choices.

+Quote Post
Padamic Tension
post Oct 16 2016, 10:52 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Idol
Member No.: 845
   No Gallery Pics

I like Said it all a lot more than i used to but i would still have picked Hold up a light as single over it. Julie is also another song i love of the album that i rate above Said it all but said it all has aged really well, its a song that sounds like its still very modern and could have been released this year.

+Quote Post
milly
post Oct 17 2016, 05:07 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

For me, the Circus era would have competed with the BW one if it hadn't been for the album itself. I know I'm in minority here, but I think that's their weakest album since their comeback. Said It All is easily the best song on the album, for me, followed by You, Sleepwalking and Circus; I do enjoy Hello, The Garden and She Said as well, but I feel like the tracks on other albums are better than the ones on The Circus.
In terms of sales and success, however, it's easily one of my favorite eras smile.gif

+Quote Post
pippa
post Oct 17 2016, 07:00 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

It would have been lovely if the people that voted for Progress, Three and Nobody else left some opinions and points explaining why they voted for those particular eras.

+Quote Post
milly
post Oct 18 2016, 06:18 AM
Post #19
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

I think Elizabeth voted for Progress biggrin.gif Because Robbie was in TT tongue.gif

It would be nice to see why some people voted for III.
As you all know, III is my favorite TT album, but it was definitely not my favorite TT era. Aside from the lead single and the tour, everything else was a mess.

+Quote Post
Laura130262
post Oct 18 2016, 12:56 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 10,265
   No Gallery Pics

No I voted for Progress. smile.gif i didn't own any TT albums before it and yes because of it I bought Beautiful World smile.gif which i also enjoyed.

The Progress era for me was very special. Two fanbases coming together in celebration of a real "moment" in UK pop music. I loved the era for the friendship, the forgiveness, a brilliant show on the tour and an album which I absolutely love. Wait, The Flood, Kidz and the exquisite Eight Letters wub.gif are my favourite. I play Progress often. smile.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:53 AM