BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> One final single per album
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
nirvanamusic
post Jul 24 2017, 01:02 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Regular
Group: Members
Member No.: 16,950
   No Gallery Pics

If you could go back and have the band release one final single off the studio albums which would it be and why?

Reach Out and The Garden had European but not UK releases as a single so I'll leave it up to you guys if you want to pick them or if that qualifies them as already released as singles!

Take That & Party:

Give Good Feeling - I was torn between this and Take That and Party. The two of them are upbeat and would have followed on from Could it be Magic well. I went with Give Good Feeling as it feels the slightly better of the two and could have had a great music video perhaps along Relight my Fire lines?

Everything Changes:

Another Crack in My Heart - I love the harmonies and vibe to this one with the sparse guitar also. It would have showed the band off well however don't feel it would have followed another ballad 'Love Ain't Here Anymore' so well as a single. The video would show the band dynamic and would perhaps be a bit moody/wistful due to the lyrics.
For me this would have been the standout next single from the album however as an upbeat alternative I'd go for Whatever You Do To Me.

Nobody Else:

The Day After Tomorrow - For me like above album this was the next standout single. Babe mark 2 however in my opinion a stronger song all round with a dream like feel to it. A song with great harmonies and would show the band working well again. I also believe it would have been a global smash following on from 'Never Forget'.
The music video perhaps in New York to capitalise on their recent US success with Back For Good. Mark wandering the streets in light rain singing the song wistfully with intercut scenes of the rest of the band (let's assume Robbie was still in the group) performing around Gary on piano and Jason on guitar (bit like Babe) in an abandoned/empty apartment in NYC.
My alternative was either Sunday to Saturday or Holding back the Tears.

Beautiful World:

Wooden Boat - Yes I know this is a solo Jason guitar track but it truly is one of the strongest cuts outside the singles from this album or in general in my opinion. Maybe they weren't sure about it but I could see the song doing really well on radio amongst all the dance and noise on there and it tells a story. For a music video maybe not feature any of the band and have actors play out the songs narrative. This would take the pressure off Jason also whilst still getting the song heard.
It would have been nice for Jason to have had this moment and am sure during that period the song would have been a hit.
My alternative Reach Out released in Europe but should have been pushed in the UK though I would have chosen Wooden Boat over Reach Out.

The Circus:

The Garden - Released in Europe to top 20 success but not in the UK. I don't like the video or radio cuts of the song just the full version. The video is also really boring and one dimensional for such a powerful song with wide ranging lyrics. They could have had beautiful shots of world landscapes and 'people off to work' with the band performing in a huge beautiful garden with green space and flowers quite tranquil with a long sweeping past pan shot from above to finish the video.
Alternate would be Here as it is quite rocking at the end and Beatles like and I think it would have gone down well but am sticking with The Garden.

Progress:

Eight Letters - This song was screaming out to be a single and tells the complex story of Take That in four and a half minutes. The video could be nostalgic (treading on Never Forget toes however) and show their whole career in footage including the moments maybe in-between solo etc. The video finishes with them walking from five different points meeting on no mans land and the Take That logo flashing on the ground in-between them before dissolving and cut to black.
Alternative Pretty Things for the interesting sounds and a Robbie lead and could have strange French renaissance themed music video due to the backing music.

III:

Get Ready For It - Already has a music video and a movie tie in but from what I can see not released as a single off the album.. strange. Thumping song and would have done well with casuals as well I feel.
Alternative I like Higher than Higher but that was already released as a single so doesn't count. Honestly with this album I don't have an alternative outside the singles which were released.

Wonderland:

And the Band Plays- This would show the band off well I think. The music video could do that with the Wonderland costumes also and quite colourful with all the instruments on the track shown also.
Alternative would be River perhaps a quick song and they could have done it running and canoeing alongside/down a river in South America perhaps.

What do you guys think? What are your singles that got away in your opinion?

This post has been edited by nirvanamusic: Jul 24 2017, 08:17 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pippa
post Jul 24 2017, 07:33 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 14,031
   No Gallery Pics

Welcoming Topic.

Take That and Party i would have selected Take That and Party as the fifth single. Upbeat and catchy to close the era off.

Everything Changes, Whatever You Do To Me, upbeat to follow Love Aint Here Anymore, this would have easily added another top 10 hit for them. At the time, and outside top 5 debut would have been a shock. Love Aint Here Anymore debuting at number 4 was a big enough shock to many at the time. This does show how times have changes.

Nobdoy Else- I would be torn between Every Guy or The Day After Tomorrow. That said, i strongly feel nothing could have followed Back for Good and Never Forget. All the other songs on this album are so weak in comparison. On this occasion i could understand why only 3 singles were released. Had they not split i still believe they would have not gone ahead with a fourth single.

Beautiful World, this is easy, Reach Out,while released in some European territories it was a mistake not giving this a full UK release.

The Circus, Hold Up A Light with ease here but the Garden would have also been a wonderful single choice. Hold Up a Light remains in my ultimate Take That songs.

Progress- Eight Letters, beautiful song that was so worthy to be a single.

Three and Wonderland, i struggle, i dont think any of the songs are/were suited to becoming fully fledged singles.

+Quote Post
jay727
post Jul 24 2017, 10:03 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 12,273

Great topic!

Ok...after much deliberation...

TT and Party:
How Can It Be - I just love this song. It's one of those that just builds and builds. Would love to hear Gary sing it now. Maybe the next tour seeing how well satisfied was received.

Everything Changes:
Wasting My Time - Love the vibe, some great high notes and a real good sing along.

Nobody Else:
Holding Back the Tears - For me, this is one of the standout moments on the album. Overshadowed by the Giants (no pun!) that are Never Forget and Back For Good; this song has some of the best lyrics Gary has written in my opinion. Stirring, emotive, powerful...a shame this wasn't released.

Beautiful World:
Like I Never Loved You At All - This is my favourite album, so I could give a reason for every song to be a single! This just pips What You Believe In...just!

Circus:
Hold Up A Light - Why this wasn't released as the second single I just don't know. One of my favourites from TT and one that I felt had massive potential to be a chart success like Shine if it had been released before Xmas. I could see it being one of those songs that experience a rebirth as a Xmas song! It's also amazing on tour and one that the crowd always go crazy for.

Progress:
Eight Letters - Fairly easy choice for me here, a perfect song. Poignant lyrics and a beautiful way to close the album, the tour and the era.

III:
Believe - Mark sounds fantastic on this. One of the standouts from the album. Strange that it didn't make the standard version.

Wonderland:
Lucky Stars - Love the vibe of this track. Falsetto from all three of them sounds great. A real alternate sound that I think radio would have run with. I'm sure a lot of people would have been pleasantly surprised when hearing it was a TT song

This post has been edited by jay727: Jul 25 2017, 07:40 PM

+Quote Post
pippa
post Jul 25 2017, 01:41 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 14,031
   No Gallery Pics

On reflection Carry Me Home would be the choice of single to add to the Three Era. Carry Me Home was a song that should have made the original track listing too. How did it come to this would also be another strong single choice from their Ultimate album to date (my opinion only) The Circus.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:54 AM