BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Lights | 1st album, EG1 | 26th February 2010
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Chinchill
post 24th February 2010, 03:40 PM
Post #41
Group icon
Ting - A - Ling - A - Ling...
User: 1,892

I love the album. The production suits her very well. Wish I Stayed has been hurt with it though, sounds a bit messy. Nevertheless, comparison of her demos with the final versions suggest that her life performances are to be stunning. She has some very gentle music sense which Marina can only dream of.

Not a single weak track on this album. I am in love with "This Love (Will Be Your Downfall).
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
p a v
post 24th February 2010, 05:09 PM
Post #42
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

QUOTE(Jark @ Feb 24 2010, 12:29 PM) *
Marina's voice is forced. I'm only aware of Hollywood and some Shampain (?) song but both are underwhelming, the latter being a little less so. Hollywood was a very poor debut 'proper' single, it made New In Town sound like Bleeding Love.

Starry Eyed is better but it relies too much on its fantastic video I think. Without it I'm not sure it'd be such a hit so equally I'm not sure the album will do much, but we'll see.

Wow mellow.gif A forced voice throughout ALL the songs then. Poor Marina - the artists who is trying to pretend like she's something. sad.gif

Anyways giving Lights the first listen. Hoping it's not $h!t as i expected it to be.

+Quote this post
p a v
post 24th February 2010, 05:57 PM
Post #43
Group icon

WTF at 'love' word pronounciation in 'This Love (Will Be Your Downfall)' by her? mellow.gif It sounds so far-fetched sad.gif

07 'Guns And Horses'
09 'Starry Eyed'
07 'This Love (Will Be Your Downfall)'
09 'Under The Sheets'
06 'The Writer'
07 'Every Time You Go'
08 'Wish I Stayed'
07 'Your Biggest Mistake'
05 'I'll Hold My Breath'
07 'Salt Skin'

I was split deciding whether i like 'The Writer' or not, on one side, these songs are such a common thing, it seemed so cheap for me, but on the other hand, it has some seriously good moments. 'Every Time You Go' is very good! Strongly disliking the chorus hence the '-2' for its rating. Verses are much better, particularly the music. 'Wish I Stayed''s new version is amazing! I even like her voice there haha! 'I'll Hold My Breath' sounds incredibly dated. The least enjoyable song on the album by far. 'Salt Skin' sounds like my type of a massive grower, don't like the production of the track as a whole so far.

Overall, 7.2.

+Quote this post
Hooker
post 24th February 2010, 07:40 PM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 9,274

First listen:

07 Guns and Horses
10 Starry Eyed
7.5 This Love (Will Be Your Downfall)
10 Under the Sheets
10 The Writer
6.5 Every Time You Go
9.5 Wish I Stayed
08 Your Biggest Mistake
08 I’ll Hold My Breath
7.5 Salt Skin

Better than I expected actually, a few good songs apart from the singles which have had time to grow on me. 'Wish I Stayed', from the 'Introduction...' EP, was much better than the first (and only other) time I listened to it. 'The Writer' is really good, and like another poster, 'Every Time You Go' is good but has a let-down chorus. I guess it's a better than average album, but there aren't any immediate hits/smashes, so I don't think there'll be any other top 10 hits for Ellie from the album (barring possibly 'The Writer').

Sorry, but Marina's album $h!tS all over 'Lights'. 'The Family Jewels' has not one bad track but this album falters at many points. Ellie has definitely not lived up to the hype for me, Marina is definitely a much better artist that deserved everything Ellie got (based on music).

+Quote this post
Doug
post 24th February 2010, 08:24 PM
Post #45
Group icon
I can't help that I need it all...
User: 9,410

bold - album highlights.
*** - favourite song on album.

9/10: Guns and Horses
9/10: Starry Eyed
7/10: This Love (Will Be Your Downfall)
7/10: Under the Sheets
8/10: The Writer
7/10: Every Time You Go
9/10: Wish I Stayed
10/10: Your Biggest Mistake***
10/10: I’ll Hold My Breath
9/10: Salt Skin
---
overall - 8.5/10.

'your biggest mistake' is heart.gif, in fact, the last four songs are heart.gif, as well as 'starry eyed' of course. love her subtle, yet grabbing sound. a little weird on 'this love' though. probably my least favourite.
I don't really understand how people think marina is that better tbh. ellie's album has about 9 great songs on it, marina's has about 2.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 24th February 2010, 08:26 PM
Post #46
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

hmm...Starry Eyed and Under The Sheets are definitely the best songs on this and I wouldn't say I've ever been madly in love with either of those anyway...

Hope it grows on me becuase it's a bit forgettable on first listen sad.gif

+Quote this post
p a v
post 24th February 2010, 08:26 PM
Post #47
Group icon

Ellie's fans are in the minority tbh kink.gif

Marina rules.

edit+ Why do most people either love Marina's album or Ellie's and it's a seldom occasion that somebody actually 'LOVES' both/neither? ohmy.gif

This post has been edited by Ljósið: 24th February 2010, 08:28 PM

+Quote this post
Doug
post 24th February 2010, 08:30 PM
Post #48
Group icon
I can't help that I need it all...
User: 9,410

QUOTE(Ljósið @ Feb 24 2010, 08:26 PM) *
Marina rules.

edit+ Why do most people either love Marina's album or Ellie's and it's a seldom occasion that somebody actually 'LOVES' both/neither? ohmy.gif

I love 'hollywood'... but her album, imo, doesn't have any songs that match up to it. her voice is alright.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 24th February 2010, 08:31 PM
Post #49
Group icon
Hello?

QUOTE(Doug Vickers @ Feb 24 2010, 08:24 PM) *
I don't really understand how people think marina is that better tbh. ellie's album has about 9 great songs on it, marina's has about 2.[/i]

All down to personal taste and opinion really, what's great to some is boring to others and what's experimental and genius to some is over the top and pretentious to others laugh.gif Personally I prefer The Family Jewels but I don't wish to pit the two against each other because I don't feel like these albums will appeal to the same crowd, one is eccentric theatrical pop, the other is more subtle electro - it's like comparing Pixie Lott to Laura Marling, they have no relevance to each other apart from age.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 24th February 2010, 08:33 PM
Post #50
Group icon
Hello?

Marina rules.

because they're completely different artists with completely different sounding albums catering to different musical tastes? tongue.gif

+Quote this post
p a v
post 24th February 2010, 08:36 PM
Post #51
Group icon

While we're at it Laura>>>>>>>>>>...>>everything>>>>>Pixie smile.gif

Lyrics wise Marina's creation is MUCH MUCH MUCH better than Ellie's tbh i think most will be agreed. <3

+Quote this post
thisispop
post 24th February 2010, 08:39 PM
Post #52
Group icon
I've got an iPod classic and I'm gonna use it!
User: 72

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Feb 24 2010, 08:33 PM) *
because they're completely different artists with completely different sounding albums catering to different musical tastes? tongue.gif

Agreed, having listened to Ellie's album one artist comes to my mind = this generation's Dido = fairly bland but good background pop music that will shift a hell of a lot of units.

I'll stick with the quirkier Marina, thanks.

+Quote this post
p a v
post 24th February 2010, 08:43 PM
Post #53
Group icon

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Feb 24 2010, 11:33 PM) *

I don't agree about 'completely'. I don't think Marina's genre is hardcore metal and Ellie sings songs a la Crazy Frog. Now THAT would be completely different. They're both pop, quite 'indie', female... Ellie's more electro i agree but surely people who like electro tend to like some indie-ness too. ohmy.gif I for one like both Ellie and Marina but their albums quality differs vastly imo. It's all down to personal opinion indeed - that's what i concluded after reading what i wrote just right now drama.gif

edit+ or if i played Ellie's track for more than 14 months now i'd have felt the same about her album? drama.gif

This post has been edited by Ljósið: 24th February 2010, 08:44 PM

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 24th February 2010, 08:50 PM
Post #54
Group icon
Hello?

QUOTE(Ljósið @ Feb 24 2010, 08:43 PM) *
I don't agree about 'completely'. I don't think Marina's genre is hardcore metal and Ellie sings songs a la Crazy Frog. Now THAT would be completely different. They're both pop, quite 'indie', female... Ellie's more electro i agree but surely people who like electro tend to like some indie-ness too. ohmy.gif I for one like both Ellie and Marina but their albums quality differs vastly imo. It's all down to personal opinion indeed - that's what i concluded after reading what i wrote just right now drama.gif

edit+ or if i played Ellie's track for more than 14 months now i'd have felt the same about her album? drama.gif

I'm certain that the BBC wouldn't have placed them at the top of Sound of 2010 if this was the case kink.gif

Maybe they're not completely different but as far as I can see, they're not at all similar either apart from being young white British female artists. If neither had received any hype whatsoever I seriously doubt anyone would be rushing to compare them. I like both of them too but I'd sooner put Marina's album on over Ellie's, but each album suits different moods - sometimes if I'm feeling more mellow I don't want to hear Marina's in your face style, and for those occasions I'd listen to Leddra Chapman Ellie.

+Quote this post
Aled.
post 24th February 2010, 09:17 PM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 4,254

07.0 'Guns And Horses'
08.5 'Starry Eyed'
07.5 'This Love (Will Be Your Downfall)'
07.0 'Under The Sheets'
08.0 'The Writer'
07.0 'Every Time You Go'
07.5 'Wish I Stayed'
06.5 'Your Biggest Mistake'
07.0 'I'll Hold My Breath'
08.5 'Salt Skin'

It was a good enjoyable album, there wasnt a single song that fell below average however there also wasnt anything in particular that grabbed my attention and made me want to listen again.
7.5/10 for the album

Marina and Ellie comparing wise. I'd take Marina anyday, a much more interesting artist imo who came up with the better album of the 2.

+Quote this post
Cremey
post 25th February 2010, 12:32 AM
Post #56
Group icon
on a bench in coney island
User: 4,089

Marina rules.

I love both. =[
Been playing this album pretty much all day. wub.gif

09.0 'Guns And Horses'
09.0 'Starry Eyed'
08.5 'This Love (Will Be Your Downfall)'
09.5 'Under The Sheets'
09.0 'The Writer'
07.5 'Every Time You Go'
08.5 'Wish I Stayed'
10.0 'Your Biggest Mistake'
07.0 'I'll Hold My Breath'
09.5 'Salt Skin'

'Your Biggest Mistake' is definitely my favourite. Should be released as the next single.
'I'll Hold My Breath' and 'Every Time You Go' are good but forgettable and the new 'Wish I Stayed' is far worse than the demo. Before hearing this album, 'Wish I Stayed' was by far my favourite out of the tracks I'd heard, but if I'd heard this version first instead, I would've preferred the first two singles over it definitely.

I don't really feel the need to compare this to Marina's album. Like Rich has said, they're completely different genres really. Imo, they're both great debuts and I hope they both do well.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 25th February 2010, 02:09 AM
Post #57
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

THIS BITCH IS GROWING! pirate.gif

+Quote this post
cassius__
post 25th February 2010, 08:04 PM
Post #58
Group icon
equally cursed & blessed
User: 6,654

09 'Guns And Horses'
10 'Starry Eyed'
10 'This Love (Will Be Your Downfall)'
10 'Under The Sheets'
10 'The Writer'
09 'Every Time You Go'
08 'Wish I Stayed'
10 'Your Biggest Mistake'
07 'I'll Hold My Breath'
08 'Salt Skin'

This is after a few listens. Amazing album, completely loving it! wub.gif! She could sing the phonebook and I'd still love it I think, I just really love her voice. laugh.gif

'Wish I Stayed' has been ruined slightly, definitely prefer the demo version sad.gif (which was one of my favourites of hers) sad.gif But I assume I'll get used to the album version soon enough. Same with 'Guns and Horses' as well!

Very solid album wub.gif! Hopefully looking for the album to follow the success of 'Starry Eyed' so far! wub.gif!

+Quote this post
Cremey
post 25th February 2010, 08:08 PM
Post #59
Group icon
on a bench in coney island
User: 4,089

QUOTE(Casey_ @ Feb 25 2010, 08:04 PM) *
'Wish I Stayed' has been ruined slightly, definitely prefer the demo version sad.gif (which was one of my favourites of hers) sad.gif But I assume I'll get used to the album version soon enough. Same with 'Guns and Horses' as well!

I wasn't sure about the album version of 'Wish I Stayed' at first either, but after a few listens it's really grown on me. I think I probably still prefer the demo version atm but only marginally. wub.gif

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 25th February 2010, 08:17 PM
Post #60
Group icon
Hello?

I think I prefer the album version of Wish I Stayed ohmy.gif

+Quote this post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »