BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

13 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Victoria Beckham • General Discussion, Happy Birthday Victoria - 50 today!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
spiceboy
post 10th August 2023, 04:05 PM
Post #201
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

QUOTE(McAndrew @ Aug 10 2023, 04:33 PM) *

Absolutely. He was using her to flog his jeans.

She honoured her side of the bargain (which was quite a risk, given her fashion ambitions). But he did her dirty with those half-arsed tracks.

I'm not sure if I have heard her work with him? Was This Groove one of his songs? In which case that is actually my favourite Victoria Beckham song it's so sultry and sexy and suits her to the ground! Which ones were his?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Voodoo
post 10th August 2023, 09:25 PM
Post #202
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 5,829

QUOTE(Piers @ Aug 10 2023, 04:18 PM) *
I've wondered to what extent Damon Dash's use of song samples could have spelled trouble for Telstar.

A sample needs to be cleared and be paid for only if the sampling song gets a commercial release.

+Quote this post
McAndrew
post 10th August 2023, 09:28 PM
Post #203
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,551

QUOTE(spiceboy @ Aug 10 2023, 05:05 PM) *
I'm not sure if I have heard her work with him? Was This Groove one of his songs? In which case that is actually my favourite Victoria Beckham song it's so sultry and sexy and suits her to the ground! Which ones were his?

From what I understand from the Howard Hands YouTube video, This Groove was indeed a Damon Dash production. And it is good. But I’d say it was very much an outlier in terms of the quality of his work offered to Victoria.

It’s That Simple, was the buzz single that was circulated ahead of This Groove (preceding Simon Fuller’s involvement). It is laughably poor production-wise. I’d say Howard Hands’ assessment is pretty accurate.

By the time we got This Groove, Simon was back on board. So one could surmise that he had a hand in steering that ship. Also, the production relies pretty heavily on the song it samples/covers.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 10th August 2023, 09:35 PM
Post #204
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I did not even know this groove sampled another song!! Which song is it? I love it!

+Quote this post
McAndrew
post 10th August 2023, 09:53 PM
Post #205
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(spiceboy @ Aug 10 2023, 10:35 PM) *
I did not even know this groove sampled another song!! Which song is it? I love it!

It samples The System’s ‘Don’t Disturb This Groove’ (especially noticeable from 1:15).

For me, it’s Victoria’s vocals and lyrics that elevate ‘This Groove’ above the original though.

+Quote this post
k👠th
post 11th August 2023, 01:02 PM
Post #206
Group icon
baddest of them all
User: 6,764

Eliza Rose finds inspo for her latest music video from Buzzjack hero & OG 00s British video quennnn Victoria Becks 💅

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 11th August 2023, 02:28 PM
Post #207
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Iconic Vicky B solo era!

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 12th August 2023, 09:29 AM
Post #208
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

I haven't heard 'This Groove' in at least 15 years and I forgot how much I liked it!

'Let Your Head Go' is the classic though, I do hope one day it finds its way onto streaming services sad.gif

+Quote this post
tommie
post 12th August 2023, 09:35 AM
Post #209
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

Don't Disturb This Groove by The System is such a jam, so This Groove can't go wrong.

This post has been edited by tommie: 12th August 2023, 09:35 AM

+Quote this post
Equinox8
post 12th August 2023, 12:05 PM
Post #210
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 132,865

The only CD from VB that I own is the Let Your head Go/This Groove single. Playing it out really doesn't get tired because it showcases two sonic styles for her that work better together than her entire debut album, in my opinion.

I said. What I said. dance.gif

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 12th August 2023, 10:31 PM
Post #211
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

If VB's career was managed differently - no 1 with Dane, followed by a second no.1 with Dane on I Wish, followrd by Like That, and then My Love is For Rral leading the second album, plus the album kdea above - she would have had a lot of success

My god, It's That Simple is just torture!! My dog and cat woke up and glared at me when I played it! They glared so much I had to turn it off, and they continued glaring for about a minute after!!

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 13th August 2023, 12:03 AM
Post #212
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

I dont know what they were thinking with It's Dat Simple, it's objectively terrible as a song. And she does not sound good...

It's funny with Victoria. She showed a lot of potential with Out Of Your Mind and some of the tracks in her debut were incredible. She is a great studio singer and could really shine in the group! Her harmonies where always on point!

Her second album also had a lot of potential but the partnership with Damon always sounded forced to me. She is not a hip-hop artist, wtf!?

+Quote this post
McAndrew
post 13th August 2023, 08:58 AM
Post #213
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(Anita Dump @ Aug 12 2023, 11:31 PM) *
If VB's career was managed differently - no 1 with Dane, followed by a second no.1 with Dane on I Wish, followrd by Like That, and then My Love is For Rral leading the second album, plus the album kdea above - she would have had a lot of success

My god, It's That Simple is just torture!! My dog and cat woke up and glared at me when I played it! They glared so much I had to turn it off, and they continued glaring for about a minute after!!

Haha. Frankly, VB was a trooper to attempt to sing a melody to that beat. The rhythm is a mess.

She must’ve had such a headache afterwards.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 14th August 2023, 12:03 AM
Post #214
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

Such a shame that she didn't have the confidence to release it though:(

Singles could have been:

1. My Love Is For Real
2. LYHG/ DD...TG?
3. Open Your Eyes (dance remix)
4. Full Stop or Flow

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 14th August 2023, 12:03 AM
Post #215
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

QUOTE(k👠th the Night @ Aug 11 2023, 02:02 PM) *
Eliza Rose finds inspo for her latest music video from Buzzjack hero & OG 00s British video quennnn Victoria Becks 💅

Omfg Eliza Rose gets ET!!! wub.gif :eub:

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 15th August 2023, 09:00 AM
Post #216
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

A post from Popjustice:

I had a chat with a friend-of-a-friend who used to work for David and Victoria's business manager. I was saying how criminal it was that she never released anything after This Groove/Let Your Head Go.

He told me that she resents her solo music career. She actively tried to buy her first album from UMe so that it could be deleted from digital platforms, but the label weren't interested in selling off assets related to the Spice Girls at the time. This was around the time of the 2019 tour announcement. He also said that her contract with Virgin wasn't very favorable to her, which I found odd.

He "thinks" she destroyed the masters she acquired from Teldec.

Ugh… ok, I know she certainly went through it with how the media treated her, and how she must have thought she has a bad public perception too. But what a shame if she genuinely does resent her solo music career now to the extent of wanting it to be deleted? She seemed proud of her music while she was releasing it. If the above post is totally true it certainly explains why This Groove/Let Your Head Go never made it to download/streaming platforms. I assumed a lack of interest and lack of priority, not that she resents it or even went as far as destroying those masters. dry.gif

I feel a bit mixed about this because I understand that years of what was essentially bullying must have knocked all confidence and self belief about her music talents out of her. At the same time I wish she was able to recognise that she did have fans who appreciated her. And that just because the media had it out for her, doesn’t mean they were right.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 15th August 2023, 10:50 AM
Post #217
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

QUOTE(-Jay- @ Aug 15 2023, 10:00 AM) *
A post from Popjustice:
Ugh… ok, I know she certainly went through it with how the media treated her, and how she must have thought she has a bad public perception too. But what a shame if she genuinely does resent her solo music career now to the extent of wanting it to be deleted? She seemed proud of her music while she was releasing it. If the above post is totally true it certainly explains why This Groove/Let Your Head Go never made it to download/streaming platforms. I assumed a lack of interest and lack of priority, not that she resents it or even went as far as destroying those masters. dry.gif

I feel a bit mixed about this because I understand that years of what was essentially bullying must have knocked all confidence and self belief about her music talents out of her. At the same time I wish she was able to recognise that she did have fans who appreciated her. And that just because the media had it out for her, doesn’t mean they were right.

Yeah I agree that the press harrassment of her must have gotten to her pretty badly. I mean, it's no joke. In 2003 she was voted Britain's most hated woman, she was laughed off on national TV, told to quit numerous time and was told everywhere that she was the weakest singer. Hell, she was ridiculed at all stages of her solo career... The press was so vile to them, but particularly her, for so long for every single reason but specially her weight and her career... Talk about sexism... At points it seemed like the whole country was against her for simply existing as a wife, a singer and a public figure. The hatred was palpable.

I remember coming to the UK to see her at TRL back in 2003 and it was so clear the level of animosity she was facing, even with Simon back in charge of management...

That will cause a long lasting effect for sure.

Her debut solo album is nothing to be ashamed of. 'Like That', 'Not That Kind of Girl', ' I Wish', 'No Trix, No Games' are incredible songs. She just chose the wrong singles in a time when everyone was pouncing on her for all the wrong reasons.

It's sad if this is true, but not surprising. Remember that Mel C said to the press during the Spice25 campaign that some demos/unreleased songs will never see the light of the day cos some of the members in the band are not happy with some of their own vocal takes on them. I wouldnt be surprised if this is the main reason we dont get more music-related activities to be honest...

+Quote this post
Equinox8
post 15th August 2023, 12:53 PM
Post #218
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 132,865

QUOTE(-Jay- @ Aug 15 2023, 09:00 AM) *
A post from Popjustice:

If it's true that she resents her solo music career, so be it. I'm also not surprised, seeing as how she gave it zero attention during the ROTSG tour (neither did Mel B, but that probably had more to do with her manipulative spouse at the time than anything; but I digress).

I find it interesting (and comical) that with the 2019 tour announcement, she was like "screw all of you, I'm not going on tour, and OH YEAH I'M GOING TO SEE IF I CAN COMPLETELY WIPE MY SOLO CAREER OFF THE FACE OF THE EARTH BECAUSE I WILL NEED A PROJECT WHILE I'M NOT GOING ON TOUR WITH YOU". As if the 2019 tour was going to reinvigorate attention to her solo music. I just don't see the logic there -- unless she thought that some kind of compilation was looming that would feature some solo material from each of the girls? Who knows!

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 15th August 2023, 04:37 PM
Post #219
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

QUOTE(-Jay- @ Aug 15 2023, 10:00 AM) *
A post from Popjustice:

Omg that's awful, but it does explain the streaming situation. Honestly, I'm not surprised. Her material was good, her voice was a good pop voice - there have been much worse!! - and she looked every bit a popstar. She even wrote her own songs... But Jonathan Ross attacked hee like crazy and had the audience jeering her, telling hee to quit, and ahe gor rhere everywhere. The press poisoned everyrhing vs her, and it all started with rhem stealing her no.1. Had that not happened, maybe thibgs would have gone better, ans it woulda been harder for the press to attack. What thwy did was weaponise the David Beckham jealousy vs her, and rhen had people revel in her loss, and it snowballed from there.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 15th August 2023, 04:38 PM
Post #220
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

It's totally unfair on the fans, though, ans VB should have eiden ir our foe us, even if she focused on other markets. Surely she should have sewn by now how thw press can destroy music careers, bu4 it has little basis in how good the material or singer is...

+Quote this post

13 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 08:38 PM