BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

13 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Victoria Beckham • General Discussion, Happy Birthday Victoria - 50 today!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Voodoo
post 20th August 2023, 08:57 AM
Post #221
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 5,829

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Aug 15 2023, 01:50 PM) *
It's sad if this is true, but not surprising. Remember that Mel C said to the press during the Spice25 campaign that some demos/unreleased songs will never see the light of the day cos some of the members in the band are not happy with some of their own vocal takes on them. I wouldnt be surprised if this is the main reason we dont get more music-related activities to be honest...

This explains why we got Feed Your Love as it's Mel B-heavy, whereas Likely Stories features Victoria quite substantially.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
tommie
post 20th August 2023, 09:06 AM
Post #222
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

The Spice Girls, even going as far as oblitirating all proof of their music careers.

+Quote this post
Piers
post 22nd August 2023, 01:23 PM
Post #223
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 69,521

QUOTE(McAndrew @ Aug 10 2023, 09:58 AM) *
I’d never realised the timing of Resentment. That’s the first time I’d heard about the connection to the alleged affair.

If it’s true, it sheds a new light on the track. Victoria really laid it bare. What a woman.

So. About this. It's been nearly 20 years since all of this happened, so it's possible my memory is rusty...but I really don't remember the press noticing that Victoria had perhaps recorded a song admitting the David affair. It's possible the timing was just off for that. I believe that song quietly landed on the Real Beckhams DVD early in 2004...and it was later...in that spring that the Rebecca Loos story emerged. The affair allegedly happened in 2003, so it's possible Victoria had channeled her emotions into that song. Granted, Victoria did not write that track...but it did seem the lyrics were somewhat tailored to her. The Jazmine Sullivan version of the song is nearly identical lyrically...but it doesn't have the "mistress" and "rolling with you for five years" lyrics. I think the Beckhams always denied the Rebecca Loos story, so you'd think the press could have had a field day with that song. I do remember Victoria getting criticism for releasing the songs on a DVD...and some articles claiming that the release was a retreat from putting out a traditional release. But my guess is none of those writers actually listened to the songs. Perhaps for the best. While I think Resentment is excellent and actually single-worthy...That Dude and Valentine's Day should have never seen the light of day.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 22nd August 2023, 05:06 PM
Post #224
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

QUOTE(Piers @ Aug 22 2023, 02:23 PM) *
So. About this. It's been nearly 20 years since all of this happened, so it's possible my memory is rusty...but I really don't remember the press noticing that Victoria had perhaps recorded a song admitting the David affair. It's possible the timing was just off for that. I believe that song quietly landed on the Real Beckhams DVD early in 2004...and it was later...in that spring that the Rebecca Loos story emerged. The affair allegedly happened in 2003, so it's possible Victoria had channeled her emotions into that song. Granted, Victoria did not write that track...but it did seem the lyrics were somewhat tailored to her. The Jazmine Sullivan version of the song is nearly identical lyrically...but it doesn't have the "mistress" and "rolling with you for five years" lyrics. I think the Beckhams always denied the Rebecca Loos story, so you'd think the press could have had a field day with that song. I do remember Victoria getting criticism for releasing the songs on a DVD...and some articles claiming that the release was a retreat from putting out a traditional release. But my guess is none of those writers actually listened to the songs. Perhaps for the best. While I think Resentment is excellent and actually single-worthy...That Dude and Valentine's Day should have never seen the light of day.

Yeah, I always thought that the lack of press attention to that particular song was quite weird. Clearly no-one listened to it, or the other songs in the DVD, they were all simply dismissed as the press probably just wanted to take it as another opportunity to dismiss her as a singer, and completely overshaddowed the potential for even more drama with the song... the UK press has always been completely ridiculous (and should be shut down tbh), so ridiculous that they always go completely over the mark, so no surprises here... At least if it had, maybe the DVD would have actually sold anything or attracted any traction?...

There wasnt even any promo whatsoever for the DVD beyond some posters around London I think.. I think at that point it was pretty much over for Victoria to be honest, which is probably why they didn't do anything to boost it. Telstar was pretty much burst by the time it was released, right?

About Resentment... it is such a great song and no-one believes me about the Beyonce connection lol... it's too random an association.

Agree on That Dude and Valentine's... Both awful and she sounds terrible on them...

+Quote this post
tommie
post 22nd August 2023, 06:42 PM
Post #225
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Poor Victoria gets so much flack for Telstar going bankrupt, but that label seemed to be really incompetently built - by all accounts, the financial troubles also started before Let Your Head Go / This Groove; Rosie Ribbons (former Pop Idol, remember that?) got a rather decent deal with them and was dropped after her second single. They also seemed to go hard with "celebs" like Clare Sweeney etc. I don't think anything could've saved Telstar by the time they actually unleashed LYHG / TG; if anything The Real Beckhams DVD was just a last ditch attempt to make something back.

+Quote this post
Equinox8
post 22nd August 2023, 07:23 PM
Post #226
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 132,865

Seems that a lot of things went belly-up simultaneously around (and likely before) the time LYHG / TG was released. Perfect storm coupled with (what I would call) the peak of the anti-Spice movement by the press.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 23rd August 2023, 02:02 AM
Post #227
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

I wonder why Victoria went with Telstar anyway? I think Polydor would have been a better fit for her. I wonder if there was interest from other labels or not?

The news of her signing with Telstar occurred in November 2002, which wasn't all that long after she split from Virgin (June 2002).

"Victoria Beckham has signed a record deal with Telstar, believed to be worth £1.5m sterling.

A spokeswoman for the former (Posh) Spice Girl said she will start work on a new album for her new label this side of Christmas. "She will be back in the recording studio before the end of the year, with new material out in 2003."

"“Victoria is over the moon with Telstar. It’s the same label as Craig David and he has had massive success,” an insider said."

+Quote this post
tommie
post 23rd August 2023, 04:21 AM
Post #228
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(-Jay- @ Aug 23 2023, 02:02 AM) *
I wonder why Victoria went with Telstar anyway? I think Polydor would have been a better fit for her. I wonder if there was interest from other labels or not?

I got the impression there might've been some connection with Simon Fuller / 19 Management considering they also signed people like Rosie Ribbons and The Cheeky Girls? I think they also made a big deal out of her signing a "£1.5 million contract", though I guess depending on how many albums the contract spanned and how the pay outs were planned I'm not sure if it was such a huge deal; by some accounts they signed Rosie Ribbons for a £1 million deal spanning five albums (speaking of bad investments!).

To be honest, Victoria just never had a chance by the time she released Let Your Head Go / This Groove. The label was seemingly already in ruin and it's not like her time table was massively off from her first release. At worst you could argue they might've wanted to get something out in the summer of 2003 instead of late winter, but I don't think she would've saved the label from folding even if she had a multiple week number one record.

+Quote this post
Piers
post 23rd August 2023, 06:06 AM
Post #229
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 69,521

I definitely don't know enough about Telstar to say exactly how many people share the blame for its collapse. Their Wikipedia page mostly blames Victoria. I do think it seems plausible that Victoria would be largely responsible. She'd recorded two full albums worth of unreleased material...and was perhaps even heading toward a third collection of songs starting with My Love Is For Real. All of these (30 or so?) songs were done with big name collaborators. Furthermore, the Damon Dash tracks that did get a release sampled famous songs...namely This Groove and Resentment...(and, I think, That Dude samples something too). I don't know all the workings of a record company, but I'm assuming this was all getting expensive for them...without an actual album on the market.

I'm not trying to be overly negative on her. I firmly believe VB's unreleased Open Your Eyes material is the best stuff she ever did. I think her unreleased Come Together material is the worst she did, but we'll focus on the positive.

All I know is 2003 must have been wild for Telstar. Here's Victoria...back with reliable collaborator, Richard Stannard. They've developed a new sound for the album. There's great dance tracks...beautiful ballads. She's never sounded better. And then she trashes it all, wants to start over, and shows up with It's That Simple one day and wants to send THAT to radio.

+Quote this post
Equinox8
post 24th August 2023, 07:25 PM
Post #230
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 132,865

QUOTE(Piers @ Aug 23 2023, 06:06 AM) *
And then she trashes it all, wants to start over, and shows up with It's That Simple one day and wants to send THAT to radio.

This.
Could you imagine if THAT was her last official single? At least she stopped on a high with LYHG/TG.

+Quote this post
Rebel
post 5th October 2023, 06:25 PM
Post #231
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 140,886

Anyone watched the Beckham’s Netflix doc yet? I just finished it and it has quite a few interviews with Victoria as well. Seeing her singing “This Groove” really makes me miss her as a popstar.

+Quote this post
Voodoo
post 5th October 2023, 09:45 PM
Post #232
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

This post has been edited by Voodoo: 6th October 2023, 09:47 AM

+Quote this post
pippa
post 5th October 2023, 10:55 PM
Post #233
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031

QUOTE(Piers @ Aug 23 2023, 07:06 AM) *
I definitely don't know enough about Telstar to say exactly how many people share the blame for its collapse. Their Wikipedia page mostly blames Victoria. I do think it seems plausible that Victoria would be largely responsible. She'd recorded two full albums worth of unreleased material...and was perhaps even heading toward a third collection of songs starting with My Love Is For Real. All of these (30 or so?) songs were done with big name collaborators. Furthermore, the Damon Dash tracks that did get a release sampled famous songs...namely This Groove and Resentment...(and, I think, That Dude samples something too). I don't know all the workings of a record company, but I'm assuming this was all getting expensive for them...without an actual album on the market.

I'm not trying to be overly negative on her. I firmly believe VB's unreleased Open Your Eyes material is the best stuff she ever did. I think her unreleased Come Together material is the worst she did, but we'll focus on the positive.

All I know is 2003 must have been wild for Telstar. Here's Victoria...back with reliable collaborator, Richard Stannard. They've developed a new sound for the album. There's great dance tracks...beautiful ballads. She's never sounded better. And then she trashes it all, wants to start over, and shows up with It's That Simple one day and wants to send THAT to radio.

Do you think any of the material will ever get released?

+Quote this post
Babyboy
post 6th October 2023, 05:50 AM
Post #234
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,611

It leaked online years ago and she is into fashion now, so probably never.

+Quote this post
Voodoo
post 6th October 2023, 09:46 AM
Post #235
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

+Quote this post
Rebel
post 6th October 2023, 10:05 AM
Post #236
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 140,886

QUOTE(Voodoo @ Oct 5 2023, 10:45 PM) *

This has gone viral now, everyone is posting about it online biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 7th October 2023, 03:25 AM
Post #237
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

Temporarily removing the iconic "Empowering women through fashion x" thread subtitle magic.gif

+Quote this post
dancinqueen
post 8th October 2023, 10:21 AM
Post #238
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 95,682

She went viral with that thing.
Mixed reactions. I thought that working class part was a bit staged.

+Quote this post
Buzzz
post 11th February 2024, 09:06 PM
Post #239
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 173,178

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 5th March 2024, 11:05 PM
Post #240
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

HHmmmm... there's a video on Facebook of a fan calling Victoria a 'Queen' and Victoria replying with 'f*** you' teresa.gif

https://www.facebook.com/reel/1778564395945812

Seems like she was not having a great night and lashed out on the fan blink.gif

+Quote this post

13 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

2 user(s) reading this thread
+ 2 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 28th April 2024, 06:24 AM