BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> RESULTS: Basement Jaxx - The Singles Rate, COMPLETED - see page 4
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Bjork
post 6th November 2019, 08:25 PM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

I actually never realised Rendez-vu was their highest charting single... I like it but don't love it
so it's a bit like REM or Snow Patrol that their highest chart hit is not any of their signature songs
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 6th November 2019, 08:30 PM
Post #42
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel
User: 118

Some big gaps between scores but can't imagine there will be any more. A shame Do Your Thing was so far off, I'd have put that higher and thought it'd finish higher.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 7th November 2019, 05:47 PM
Post #43
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

07. Plug It In

Average: 8.31

Highest scores: 10 (Nick F1, dobbo, Tones and Iz + RabbitFurCoat), 9 (Tawdry Hepburn, Jess Glynne, gavindeejay + SevenSeize)

Lowest scores: 6 (Jester, Sleepy Rollo + danG), 7 (Jade)

'Plug It In' is the next song to depart! This was released as the third single from their third album 'Kish Kash' and charted at #22. The song implements both big beat and electronic rock influences, so it's one of their heavier choruses. *NSYNC member JC Chasez takes on vocal duties here but it almost wasn't to be. Lisa Kekaula originally planned to sing it, but things didn't work out, so instead 'Good Luck' was written for her - a song still to come in this rate! Basement Jaxx didn't originally think the collab with Chasez would work, with one half of the duo Felix Buxton saying: "We thought he would be just another puppet who wanted to sound cool so he could be liked by tastemakers. But he was very humble and understood the irony of taking on a song about the masquerade of celebrity because it could have been written about him. And what’s more, he’s got a great voice." Critics were positive about his performance on the song too - with one saying he was a "surprising success". The music video was a wild ride, as it features Basement Jaxx playing security guards who test out lifelike female robots - but they go too far with the controls and the robots malfunction and catch fire. Casual.

~~

I would not have called this outperforming the likes of 'Do Your Thing' and 'Rendez-Vu' ohmy.gif wow! Admittedly this is my least favourite in the top 10 but still good.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 8th November 2019, 11:12 AM
Post #44
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

Such a TUNE! wub.gif

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 8th November 2019, 11:44 AM
Post #45
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Yep absolutely love that one, should be top 5!

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 8th November 2019, 12:22 PM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

yes great one, but all the ones left are great

+Quote this post
Jade
post 8th November 2019, 05:49 PM
Post #47
Group icon
Alone and wounded

06. Where's Your Head At

Average: 8.36

Highest scores: 11 (pippa, Sleepy Rollo, Bréxit, danG + SevenSeize), 10 (Jade + gavindeejay)

Lowest scores: -1 (Euphorique), 5 (RabbitFurCoat)

Well isn't this a shock?! BuzzJack's favourite Basement Jaxx song in the recent 'ULTIMATE DANCE V' contest does not manage to even place in the top 5 here. 'Where's Your Head At' was released as the third single from Basement Jaxx's second album 'Rooty' in 2001 - leaving 'Romeo' as the only song standing from this album now. The song charted at #9, so it's the second top 10 hit to drop out so far. I can reveal that it received the most 11s in this rate with a whopping 5 - but it was majorly brought down by a -1 in particular when all of these songs near the top are receiving a lot of love. Whoops. 'Where's Your Head At' samples two Gary Numan songs - namely 'M.E.' and 'This Wreckage'. The genre blending here includes house, alternative dance and electronic rock influences. I'd definitely say that this is one of the duo's most recognisable songs for sure. The chorus is repetitive and delivered in quite a loud way, so a pretty memorable combination. It's also backed up by some very lively production, as Basement Jaxx so often bring to the table. The award winning video is a strange one - as it features monkeys with superimposed faces who play music and generally cause havoc.

~~

I was slightly concerned for this when it received a -1 but I thought it would be safe for top 5 with all of those 11s ohmy.gif What a banger!

+Quote this post
Brer
post 8th November 2019, 06:00 PM
Post #48
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

Far too low but I think the -1 probably single-handedly took it down a few places so ~

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 8th November 2019, 07:44 PM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

shocking
thought this was gonna win it

+Quote this post
Sempachorra
post 8th November 2019, 07:49 PM
Post #50
Group icon
Let's Go Brandon
User: 421

Absolute trash of a song. Probably one of my most hated dance songs of all time, so damn annoying. Gives me a migraine

Rendez-Vu deserved its place instead, now that is a great classic. Underrated for sure.

This post has been edited by Euphorique: 8th November 2019, 07:50 PM

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 8th November 2019, 07:58 PM
Post #51
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

It's a very good song but wouldn't put it in their best. Doesn't have as much replay value as that chorus can be annoying.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 9th November 2019, 12:46 PM
Post #52
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

I liked it briefly at the time, but it's been so RIDICULOUSLY overplayed to the point of tedium and still continues to be. I can't really find enjoyment in it anymore.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 9th November 2019, 10:38 PM
Post #53
Group icon
Alone and wounded

05. Romeo

Average: 8.42

Highest scores: 11 (Jester, dobbo + Jess Glynne), 10 (Euphorique + danG)

Lowest scores: 4 (Sleepy Rollo), 6 (Tawdry Hepburn)

Kicking off the top 5 is 'Romeo'! This was released as the first single from the group's second studio album Rooty. It was a hit single - peaking at #6 in the U.K. chart - and is usually considered to be one of Basement Jaxx's signature songs. 'Romeo' features disco influences and definitely feels like one of their more poppy songs. It's R&B singer Kele Le Roc who provides vocals for this single. The lyrics tell us about a guy who is her 'Romeo' one minute, but then blows cold the next minute... such uncertainty is almost immediately conveyed by the second line "you know I wish you'd make your mind up!". Le Roc provides us with sassy vocals to match the frustrating situation. The music video is more toned down by their usual standards, but still features a clear concept as ever - as these visuals are a tribute to the world of Bollywood films. Indian actress Divya Dutta takes the lead in a dance troupe who feature throughout the whole video. They perform fun routines that mix a range of styles. 'Romeo' may have frustratingly just missed out on the top 5 in the real world, but BuzzJack rewards it greatly by allowing it to sneak in to this top 5. It was one of three songs to receive three 11s - the others are to come!

~~

'Romeo' is definitely one of their most sing-a-long songs for me which always makes it a fun listen! 2001 was such a good year for dance heart.gif

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 9th November 2019, 11:03 PM
Post #54
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Definitely my fave of theirs. Love that intro so much and it's definitely their best singalong. Deserved top 3 in this.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 9th November 2019, 11:11 PM
Post #55
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

Out of their big hits 'Romeo' is easily the one I'm least fond of, still pretty good but definitely among their weaker singles for me. I don't remember off the top of my head what all of the 4 songs remaining are but fairly sure they're all ones I gave higher scores to.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 9th November 2019, 11:59 PM
Post #56
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

Oh My Gosh still yet to follow. Pleasantly surprised how well that has done.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 10th November 2019, 07:16 AM
Post #57
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Romeo is a good one, ends up in its right place, top 5 sounds ok

+Quote this post
Jade
post 10th November 2019, 08:24 PM
Post #58
Group icon
Alone and wounded

04. Good Luck

Average: 8.72

Highest scores: 11 (Bjork), 10 (Nick F1, Jess Glynne, dandy* + RabbitFurCoat)

Lowest scores: 5 (Sleepy Rollo), 7 (Tones and Iz + Euphorique)

Out next at #4 is 'Good Luck'! This was the second single to be released from Basement Jaxx's third album 'Kish Kash' in 2004. It outperformed previous single 'Lucky Star' by quite a bit, as it ended up peaking at #12. Like 'Romeo', this also feels like one of their most dance-pop moments, but also one of their most soulful songs too. Lisa Kekaula really proves just how much of a vocal powerhouse she is on this song. The video, which was filmed in Argentina, mostly comprises of her passionately singing along to the angsty lyrics in a car, which is a simple but effective fit. Basement Jaxx provide thumping production on the chorus which matches up to its high octane feel well. They once stated that 'Good Luck' was actually the most difficult song to make on 'Kish Kash'. Looks like all that effort paid off as it went down well in the real chart and on BuzzJack!

~~

I think 'Good Luck' is the only song in the top 5 that I didn't give a 9+ score to (merely an 8 instead kink.gif) but it's a good'un, definitely the strongest Kish Kash single.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 10th November 2019, 09:01 PM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

sadness :/ Good Luck is easily their best, much much better than the 3 that remain

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 11th November 2019, 04:48 PM
Post #60
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

I remember 'Good Luck' for it being used in this:

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >