BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Greatest UK Sitcoms • RESULTS, FINISHED! Full list on page 3
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Klaus
post 17th August 2016, 01:46 PM
Post #1
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

It's time to find what YOU voted for as your greatest UK sitcom. Comedy is very subjective which is reflected in the varied shortlist that also has fair classic/new balance. In terms of numbers, the total number of points vary from 199 to a mere 5, with 16 sitcoms managing over 100 points. The results will start SOON but, for now, here are the fifty shows in competition!:

Absolutely Fabulous
Allo 'Allo!
Are You Being Served?
Bad Education
Benidorm
Birds of a Feather
Black Books
Blackadder
Come Fly With Me
Dad's Army
dinnerladies
Extras
Father Ted
Fawlty Towers
Friday Night Dinner
Gavin & Stacey
Gimme Gimme Gimme
I'm Alan Partridge
Keeping Up Appearances
Little Britain
Man About the House
Miranda
Mr Bean
Mrs Brown's Boys
My Family
On the Buses
One Foot in the Grave
Only Fools and Horses
Open All Hours
Outnumbered
Peter Kay's Car Share
Phoenix Nights
Porridge
Red Dwarf
Some Mothers Do 'Ave Em
Spaced
Steptoe & Son
The Good Life
The Green Green Grass
The Inbetweeners
The IT Crowd
The League of Gentlemen
The Office
The Royle Family
The Thick of It
The Vicar of Dibley
The Young Ones
Twenty Twelve / W1A
Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads?
Yes Minister

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 17th August 2016, 02:45 PM
Post #2
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

46-50

47.= The Office || 29 points [Highest: 11 from AaronTM]
47.= Twenty Twelve / W1A || 29 points [Highest: 16 from Froot.]
48. Spaced || 22 points [Highest: 14 from richie]
49. The Green Green Grass || 20 points [Highest: 18 from JosephStyles]
50. The League of Gentlemen || 5 points [Highest: 5 from dandy*]

In last place and the only sitcom to have one voter is The League of Gentleman! It is a black comedy and is one that I probably should have watched by now considering how much I loved Psychoville and Inside No. 9. Next is The Green Green Grass, a spin-off to much loved and still to come 'Only Fools and Horses'. It follows Boycie and his family as they move to the countryside and it aired from 2005-2009. Spaced was the first project to come from the creators of the Three Flavours Cornetto Trilogy: Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and Edgar Frost. It follows two relative strangers pose as a couple in order to obtain a cheap flat. Twenty Twelve/W1A was first created as a comedic perspective on the development of the London 2012 Olympic games, following a fictional group. The success (and nature of the subject matter) then resulted in a different setup where some of the characters work for the BBC. It features some pretty on-point satire and has resulted in some of the BBC's decisions irl to be under even more close scrutiny. The Office is often up there on many lists as one of the best ever UK sitcoms but it falls out in joint 47th place here! It is another mockumentary following the lives of a fictional office and resulted in a very successful US remake (something that is not often said) as well as a spin-off film that is coming out this month!

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 17th August 2016, 04:16 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

Oh dear, I forgot to send my votes in last night sad.gif

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 17th August 2016, 07:02 PM
Post #4
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

41-45

41. The Good Life || 33 points [Highest: 15 from Laura130262]
44.= Man About the House || 31 points [Highest: 19 from richie]
44.= Steptoe & Son || 31 points [Highest: 13 from pippa & Leonardo]
44.= The Thick of It || 31 points [Highest: 18 from Chez Wombat]
45. Yes Minister || 30 points [Highest: 16 from Colm]

Yes Minister is satire set in the private office of a British Cabinet minister and it led to 'Yes Prime Minister' as the minister became PM. It ran from 1980-1988 and briefly returned for a revival series for Gold in 2013. From one political satire to another as The Thick of It lands in a three way tie for 44th place. The series focuses on the inner workings of modern day British government, looking at the new roles of spin doctors. It led to a film and another successful US remake. Steptoe & Son focuses on a father and son rag & bone business and ran from 1962-1965 and then 1970-1974 as well as two films. It will return as a one-off special along with a number of other classic BBC sitcoms for their upcoming Sitcom Season. Man About the House was broadcast on ITV and focused on a man who was living with two single women. It resulted in a film, two spin-off series and yet another successful US remake (there's not many left). The Good Life focuses on a couple who escape modern day living by attempting to be fully self-sufficient.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 17th August 2016, 07:18 PM
Post #5
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

Man About The House is normally repeated on ITV3 which was had two spin-offs in Robin's Nest and George + Mildred. Sad about what happened to Yootha Joyce who played Mildred.

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 17th August 2016, 07:35 PM
Post #6
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835

48. Spaced || 22 points [Highest: 14 from Spaced]

Spaced so low cry.gif

Also is spaced a poster or is that a error confused laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 17th August 2016, 07:37 PM
Post #7
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

oops alias alert!!! ohmy.gif

I must have got a bit carried away, the 14 was from richie!

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 18th August 2016, 06:52 PM
Post #8
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

36-40

36. Gimme Gimme Gimme || 45 points [Highest: 17 from Alex]
37. Red Dwarf || 44 points [Highest: 18 from Leonardo]
38. On the Buses || 36 points [Highest: 12 from JosephStyles & Leonardo]
40.= I'm Alan Partridge || 36 points [Highest: 15 from richie]
40.= Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads? || 36 points [Highest: 18 from Mack & Laura130262]

Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads? was a sequel to The Likely Lads, following the friendship of two working class men, one of whom is proud to be working class while the other aspires to be middle class. The two stars have since fallen out and any revival is unlikely to happen. I'm Alan Partridge followed the fictional character of Alan Partridge following the spoof chat show 'Knowing Me, Knowing You'. The show follows Alan as his life as gone considerably downhill having lost his wife and job, presenting a local radio show in a graveyard slot. The character has been hugely successful, including starring in his own film. On the Buses aired for seven series as well as three spin-off films. The show follows employees of a bus company. Red Dwarf is a science-fiction sitcom following four characters who are trapped in deep space. The show initially aired for eight series before being resurrected by Dave in 2009 after successful repeats on the channel. It aired for an initial three-part revival before returning for a full series in 2012 and two more have recently been filmed. Gimme Gimme Gimme aired between 1999 and 2001 focusing on a loudmouth, played by Kathy Burke, and her gay flatmate with innuendo playing a big part in the humour.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 19th August 2016, 11:27 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

Red Dwarf is too low tongue.gif ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 19th August 2016, 02:11 PM
Post #10
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

31-35

31. One Foot in the Grave || 56 points [Highest: 19 from Laura130262]
33.= 'Allo 'Allo! || 49 points [Highest: 18 from Froot.]
33.= Some Mothers Do 'Ave Em || 49 points [Highest: 14 from Mack & Leonardo]
34. Extras || 48 points [Highest: 17 from Extras]
35. Phoenix Nights || 47 points [Highest: 18 from troublepink]

Phoenix Nights features Peter Kay as one its creators and stars and it is set in a working man's club. It was a spin-off from 'That Peter Kay Thing' and resulted in its own spin-off 'Max and Paddy's Road to Nowhere'. Extras is the second sitcom created by Ricky Gervais & Stephen Merchant to feature following the lives of an aspiring actor and his friend as he is an extra in numerous productions. It stars many celebrities appearing as exaggerated versions of themselves. Some Mothers Do 'Ave Em follows accident-prone Frank Spencer through his various attempts to hold down a job that frequently end in disaster. I will say this only once: 'Allo 'Allo! aired for nine series and followed events in a small cafe in a German-occupied part of France in WWII and it features many running jokes. One of my favourite jokes is the lack of understanding between the French and the British despite them both appearing to speak English to us, it's ingenious! One Foot in the Grave followed Victor Meldrew as he takes early retirement but encounters various misfortunes and misunderstandings during his efforts to make him busy.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 19th August 2016, 02:14 PM
Post #11
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

I thought On the Buses may end up higher! I've never watched it out of choice but my mum always has it on laugh.gif

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 19th August 2016, 02:30 PM
Post #12
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!

Allo Allo so low ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 19th August 2016, 07:28 PM
Post #13
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

26-30

26. Open All Hours || 65 points [Highest: 12 from dandy*]
27. The Young Ones || 64 points [Highest: 20 from troublepink]
28. Are You Being Served? || 61 points [Highest: 16 from Mack]
29. Black Books || 60 points [Highest: 20 from dandy*]
30. Friday Night Dinner || 56 points [Highest: 18 from Ultraviolence1989]

Friday Night Dinner is one of the more recent sitcoms in the list but it is currently airing its fourth series. It focuses on the outlandish events that happen when a Jewish family meet up for a meal every Friday night. Black Books is set in bookstore run by a moody shopkeeper who has a hatred of the outside world, having a dislike for all his customers. Similarly, Are You Being Served? is also set in a shop, this time in the clothing department of a flagship department store. It used a lot of risque visual gags and innuendo. The Young Ones is a more anarchic and alternative sitcom, focusing on four students who are sharing a house. It features a lot of slapstick and surrealism. Open All Hours is set in a small local grocer's shop run by Arkwright, whose nephew is an employee. It starred two sitcoms legends as its leads in Ronnie Barker and David Jason. The latter returned for a follow up series 'Still Open All Hours' where his character is now running the shop.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 21st August 2016, 06:47 PM
Post #14
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

21-25

21. Peter Kay's Car Share || 82 points [Highest: 18 from bipolar angel]
22. Come Fly With Me || 77 points [Highest: 20 from Ultraviolence1989]
23. Porridge || 76 points [Highest: 20 from Laura130262]
24. Benidorm || 67 points [Highest: 20 from bipolar angel]
25. Bad Education || 65 points [Highest: 14 from AaronTM]

Bad Education focuses on a posh new history teacher at a secondary school, in charge of a class full of eccentric individuals. It was one of BBC Three's most successful shows and it resulted in a movie last year. Benidorm is ITV's most successful sitcom of recent years. It follows a group of British families who spend their holiday at the same all-inclusive hotel in Benidorm. Porridge is another Ronnie Barker sitcom, this time set in a prison where Barker's character takes an inmate serving his first sentence under his wing. It is another sitcom set off for a one-off return next week as part of BBC One's sitcom season. Come Fly With Me was created by the same duo as Little Britain and was a spoof of airline documentaries. Peter Kay's Car Share is the most recent sitcom on the list and it was Peter Kay's first series for to air since 2004's Max & Paddy's Road to Nowhere. It is mainly follows two characters who are involved in a car share and therefore the setting is largely confined to the car.

+Quote this post
Botchia
post 23rd August 2016, 08:04 PM
Post #15
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753

Come Fly With Me is brilliant! Glad to see it doing well on here.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 24th August 2016, 12:15 PM
Post #16
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

16-20

16. dinnerladies || 105 points [Highest: 19 from Leonardo]
17. Mrs Brown's Boys || 98 points [Highest: 17 from HarryEzra]
18. The IT Crowd || 94 points [Highest: 20 from Froot.]
19. My Family || 89 points [Highest: 15 from bipolar angel]
20. Mr Bean || 84 points [Highest: 19 from Chez Wombat]

Mr Bean follows 'a child in a grown man's body' played by Rowan Atkinson. He causes disruption in everything he does and everywhere he goes with the humour largely focused on physical humour, especially as the character rarely speaks. The character has proven to be immensely popular, expanding into an animated series, two films and an appearance in the 2012 Opening Ceremony. My Family focuses on a large middle-class family, with each character undergoing a number of problems throughout the series. It did last longer than it should have done but, in its prime (particularly with Nick & Abi still in), it was brilliant. The best sitcom on the list, The IT Crowd, comes in at 18th place. It is set in the IT department of a big business, featuring two misfits and the head of department who becomes a misfit. The activities in each episode often lead to really bizarre scenarios that are laugh out loud. Mrs Browns Boys places outtakes as the focus of the sitcom. dinnerladies was created by the late Victoria Wood and it is set in the canteen of a fictional factory, focusing on the lives and social & romantic interactions of the staff.

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 24th August 2016, 12:46 PM
Post #17
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!

Shame to see IT Crowd not top 10 sad.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 24th August 2016, 03:16 PM
Post #18
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

Not bad for Mrs Brown, it's such a marmite show after all laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Regina
post 24th August 2016, 03:22 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572

f*** I shoulda voted. Dinnerladies is so so good. Watching it now, makes me really sad about how the world is now without such a genius in Victoria Wood.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 25th August 2016, 01:59 PM
Post #20
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

11-15

11. Father Ted || 130 points [Highest: 20 from popchartfreak]
12. Little Britain || 125 points [Highest: 18 from AaronTM]
13. Dad's Army || 121 points [Highest: 20 from ThePensmith]
14. The Inbetweeners || 115 points [Highest: 20 from Chez Wombat]
15. Birds of a Feather || 105 points [Highest: 20 from pippa]

Birds of a Feather follows the lives of two sisters whose husbands have been arrested for armed robbery as well as their next door neighbour who constantly has affairs with younger men. It originally aired on BBC One between 1989 and 1998 and then it made a successful return on ITV in 2014 where it is still airing new series. The Inbetweeners is one of the most popular and successful UK programmes aimed at young adults. It followed the lives of four friends who were neither the popular group nor the unpopular 'geeks'. It aired for three series and spawned two films. Dad's Army focused on the British Home Guard in World War II, which mainly featured those who were too old to serve. It was hugely successful, with repeats on BBC Two still securing some of the channel's highest ratings of the week and a feature film came out this year. Little's Britain featured sketches of exaggerated parodies of British people and it resulted in a large number of popular and memorable characters. Father Ted follows the lives of three priests who live on a remote island with their housekeeper, Mrs Doyle. Like The IT Crowd, it is absolutely hilarious and it features a number of exaggerated scenarios and characters. Would you like a cup of tea? Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 03:49 AM