BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> REVIEW: Now That's What I Call Music 7, Released 11th August 1986 | 32 Tracks | 4 #1 Singles
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Now That's What I Call Music 7 Ratings
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 25
Guests cannot vote 
awardinary
post Sep 18 2016, 09:00 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

Images

Advert

Details
Released: 11th August 1986
Origin: United Kingdom
Label: Virgin / EMI
Format: Vinyl / Double Cassette / Video
Duration: 01:58:00
Tracks: 32
#1’s: 4
Chart Peak: #1 (5 Weeks)
Sales: 600,000 (2x Platinum)
    Tracklisting
1. Peter Gabriel – Sledgehammer* {4}
2. UB40 – Sing Our Own Song {5}
3. Sly Fox – Let's Go All The Way* {3}
4. Level 42 – Lessons In Love* {3}
5. Pet Shop Boys – Opportunities (Let's Make Lots Of Money) {11}
6. Pete Wylie – Sinful! {13}
7. Stan Ridgway – Camouflage {4}
8. Art Of Noise with Max Headroom – Paranoimia {12}
9. Chris De Burgh – Lady In Red {1}
10. David Bowie – Absolute Beginners* {2}
11. Genesis – Invisible Touch* {15}
12. Simple Minds – All The Things She Said {9}
13. The Housemartins – Happy Hour* {3}
14. Big Country – Look Away {7}
15. Furniture – Brilliant Mind {21}
16. Midge Ure – Call Of The Wild {27}
17. Wham – The Edge Of Heaven* {1}
18. Owen Paul – My Favourite Waste Of Time* {3}
19. Amazulu – Too Good To Be Forgotten {5}
20. Dr And The Medics – Spirit In The Sky {1}
21. Bananarama – Venus* {8}
22. Bucks Fizz – New Beginning (Mamba Seyra) {8}
23. A-Ha – Hunting High And Low {5}
24. Simply Red – Holding Back The Years* {2}
25. Billy Ocean – When The Going Gets Tough, The Tough Get Going* {1}
26. Jaki Graham – Set Me Free {7}
27. Nu Shooz – I Can't Wait {2}
28. The Real Roxeanne With Hitman Howie Tee – (Bang Zoom) Let's Go Go {11}
29. Lovebug Starski – Amityville (The House On The Hill) {12}
30. Midnight Star – Headlines {16}
31. Aurra – You And Me Tonight {12}
32. Patti La Belle And Michael McDonald – On My Own {2}

Key
Tracks highlighted red were official UK #1’s.
Tracks with an asterisk (*) next to their title have also been included in special releases from the series.
Bracketed numbers refer to highest chart position reached.
    Miscellaneous Facts
Track Most Weeks At #1: Billy Ocean – When The Going Gets Tough, The Tough Get Going (4 weeks)
Lowest Charting Track: Midge Ure – Call Of The Wild {27}
Longest Song: Unknown
Shortest Song: Unknown
Edited Tracks: Unknown
Unedited Tracks: Unknown
Inlay Mistakes: Again just a few apostrophe problems. Pet Shop Boys should be Pet Shop Boys' (as in belonging to them) and the same under the entry for Amazulu when they mention the Chi-Lites - should be chi-lites'.
Other Facts: Some copies of the original Now 7 volume on LP had a bonus track of Queen - It's A Kind Of Magic {3} on Record 2, Side 1, Track 9. Though this song has been featured in special releases.
    On This Day In History
No music news to declare for 11th August 1986.
    Other Resources
Official Now Music Website
Wikipedia
TV Cream
Everyhit
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
awardinary
post Sep 18 2016, 09:01 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Andrew's Review
Now That's What I Call Music! 7 aka Now 7 was the first release of 1986, following another 8 month gap from the release of Now 6 December 1985.
Packed with 32 hits, Now 7 boasts 4 #1's and all songs being inside the UK Top 40 Chart. Some remembered artists such as Pet Shop Boys, Bananarama, Simple Minds, Chris De Burgh, Wham & Simply Red were all amoung the chosen 32, and we were also introduced for the first time to Housemartins and Dr & The Medics and the for the only time we heard Sly Fox, Pete Wylie, Chris De Burgh, Bucks Fizz, Nu Shooz and Midnight Star just to name a few.
Becuase of the 8 month gap, there were many #1's not included in the release, these included Pet Shop Boys – West End Girls; George Michael – A Different Corner; Diana Ross – Chain Reaction; Spitting Image – The Chicken Song ― That's just 4 of 11 #1's not to be included.
A bag with the logo on it was the theme chosen for the Now 7 cover design, this followed a similar idea to Now 6 which had the logo stitched on.
As far as my personal review is concerned, I would have to say I am happy with this, very, very much. This would have been the first volume released in my lifetime, and many of the songs I enjoy today. It is a shame the quantity of #1's is not as high as it should be, but the tracklisting is very good, I would like to know why Queen – It's A Kind Of Magic was only to be a limited edition bonus song though?

Artwork Rating: 4/10 Very Poor
It's just a bit too plain for my liking. The positives to say is that it's a light theme instead of the regular dark themes seen previously. I feel there is much room for improvement thought to jazz it up a little. Not a fan of the logo of the time either.

Side 1 Favourite: Level 42 – Lessons In Love
This is the best one on this side in my opinion. It was the biggest hit for Level 42 and it continued the dominant genre of the 80s of new wave.

Side 2 Favourite: Genesis – Invisible Touch
My favourite song from Genesis, a true 80's classic.

Side 3 Favourite: Bananarama – Venus
Probably this biggest song by any girl group of the 80's. Can't be denied it is still a catchy tune! Very uplifting song.

Side 4 Favourite: Billy Ocean – When The Going Gets Tough, The Tough Get Going
The weakest selection of songs from the compilation, but Billy Ocean's signature song is the best choice available, a fun, vibrant and feel good anthem.

Overall Rating: 5/10 Poor
This was the first Now compilation since I was born. It's just lacking some real quality from other noteworthy high charting singles of the time. It could have been a lot better and the fact it missed out a major Queen single on certain versions was a major error.

Andrew's Best 5 (as of September 2016)
1. Bananarama – Venus
2. Genesis – Invisible Touch
3. Level 42 – Lessons In Love
4. Peter Gabriel – Sledgehammer
5. Simply Red – Holding Back The Years

Andrew's Worst 5 (as of Sepmeber 2016)
1. The Real Roxeanne With Hitman Howie Tee – (Bang Zoom) Let's Go Go
2. Lovebug Starski – Amityville (The House On The Hill)
3. Bucks Fizz – New Beginning (Mamba Seyra)
4. Art of Noise with Max Headroom – Paranoimia
5. Amazulu – Too Good To Be Forgotten

This post has been edited by awardinary: Sep 24 2016, 09:33 PM

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post Sep 18 2016, 09:06 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Members
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

Artwork Rating:
I don't know why but Taylor Swift - 1989 immediately sprung to mind when I saw that. Yeah... I don't like it all, the colours are bad & no idea what that necklace thing is s'posed to be, just looks off. 3/10.

Side 1 Favourite:
Sledgehammer - a bit of a TUNE really! And VERY crude for the 80s kink.gif

Side 2 Favourite:
Lady In Red - don't even really like this but I saw a drunk man sing this badly at a karaoke once & it made me laugh.

Side 3 Favourite:
Spirit In The Sky - I actually like all the covers of this, just a fun song (Norman Greenbaum ftw tho). Venus is decent too!

Side 4 Favourite:
When The Going Gets Tough - best song of the edition, catchy as hell dance.gif

Overall Rating:
A few more I recognise but again not many I'd consider classics or I'd ever listen to out of choice, 4/10.

+Quote Post
awardinary
post Sep 18 2016, 09:11 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Πψίίψ @ Sep 18 2016, 10:06 PM) *
Artwork Rating:
I don't know why but Taylor Swift - 1989 immediately sprung to mind when I saw that. Yeah... I don't like it all, the colours are bad & no idea what that necklace thing is s'posed to be, just looks off. 3/10.

I thought it was actually a shopping bag, but it might be what you suggested. huh.gif

+Quote Post
Jade
post Sep 23 2016, 01:40 AM
Post #5
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

Weird that 'A Kind Of Magic' was only a bonus track on select copies / not listed as a track on the vinyl, yet it's so prominent in the advert for Now 7!

Anyway...

Artwork Rating: 2/10 - This is the weakest artwork we've had so far. It's just completely bland! That colour is really dull and there's not really a lot going on.

Side 1 Favourite: Peter Gabriel – Sledgehammer - I feel like the opening track has been my favourite most of the time for disc 1! But they're usually bold and exciting (as they should be to kick off the whole edition) and this song is no exception! The most memorable of Disc 1 for sure.

Side 2 Favourite: David Bowie – Absolute Beginners - I have become rather fond of Bowie after delving into his back catalogue since his passing. This is definitely a strong moment from him! The lyrics are just wonderful and his vocals and the production are on point.

Side 3 Favourite: Bananarama - Venus - YES! My favourite of the whole edition. Bananarama always seem to have such a FUN energy about them and this one is a definite example of that. Their signature song for a reason!

Side 4 Favourite: Billy Ocean – When The Going Gets Tough, The Tough Get Going - I actually knew this first in the form of the Boyzone version blush.gif But this original is far superior due to the vocals being a lot better. A very catchy classic!

Overall rating: 5/10 - Piss poor cover and not an awful lot that would make me want to return in a hurry. Thank goodness for Bananarama and David Bowie for providing some excellence.

+Quote Post
awardinary
post Sep 24 2016, 09:34 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

*Bump* for some more reviews before the next review starts! music.gif

+Quote Post
TheSnake
post Feb 13 2018, 05:19 PM
Post #7
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
Group: Memberrs
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

My fave from side 1 is Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer, great pop rock tune!

My fave from side 2 is Genesis - Invisible Touch, a nice love song from the group.

My fave from side 3 is Bananarama - Venus. From When Stock Aitken Waterman's productions still were dancey enough generally and not too cheesy.

My fave from side 4 and from the whole album is Jaki Graham - Set Me Free. Discovered this recently, quite simply what a tune, one of my fave disco/post-disco songs ever! Sounds massive! The Billy Ocean song is good too imo on side 4!

Andrew's Worst 5 (as of Sepmeber 2016)
1. The Real Roxeanne With Hitman Howie Tee – (Bang Zoom) Let's Go Go

Was curious about this because of that title and artist name and gave it a listen! One of the first female rappers to make the UK charts I think.

This post has been edited by The Snake : Feb 13 2018, 05:38 PM

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Feb 17 2018, 01:08 AM
Post #8
Mansonette
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

Am I really the only one to vote Nu Shooz so far? ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Feb 17 2018, 02:38 AM
Post #9
rip in peace Dickston
Member No.: 25,045
   No Gallery Pics

I feel embarrassed to admit I only genuinely know one of these songs (Simple Minds) laugh.gif I’ve heard of some but can’t actually remember most tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Radio Ga Ga
post May 7 2022, 09:13 PM
Post #10
New Entry
Member No.: 151,089
   No Gallery Pics

Another that my parents bought.

Artwork. Pretty sure it is a bag, but not great again. Voted 4 or 5.

Side 1 - first Now appearance of the brilliant Pet Shop Boys
Side 2 - I know a lot of people hate it but I went for Lady in Red, among the stand out tracks.
Side 3 - I see Venus has by far and away the most love on this side here. I do love Bananarama, but would have gone for Edge of Heaven over it (which still has no votes). I'm the first to vote for Holding Back the Years.
Side 4 - Billy Ocean, easily.

Much much better than Now 6. I think I voted 7.

This post has been edited by Radio Ga Ga: May 7 2022, 09:32 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:09 AM