BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Ultimate Kylie Minogue - Rate Results, Full Results announced on Page 9
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Nina West
post Nov 1 2014, 09:05 PM
Post #1
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

Hello and welcome to the Ultimate Kylie Minogue rate results and after weeks of voting, we can finally see what you're ultimate fave Kylie single and fave album of course, And again a big thank you to all the voters who have made this rate a big success.

Here's a reminder of what's in the running...

I Should Be So Lucky
Got To Be Certain
The Locomotion
Je Ne Sais Pas Pourqoui
It's No Secret
Turn It Into Love
Especially For You (Ft Jason Donovan)
Hand On Your Heart
Wouldn't Change A Thing
Never Too Late
Tears On My Pillow
Better The Devil You Know
Step Back In Time
What Do I Have To Do
Shocked
Word Is Out
If You Were With Me Now (Ft Keith Washington)
Give Me Just A Little More Time
Finer Feelings
What Kind Of Fool (Heard All That Before)
Celebration
Confide In Me
Put Yourself In My Place
Where Is The Feeling
Where The Wild Roses Grow (Ft Nick Cave)
Some Kind Of Bliss
Did It Again
Breathe
Cowboy Style
GBI (German Bold Italic) (Ft Towa Tei)
Spinning Around
On A Night Like This
Kids (Ft Robbie Williams)
Please Stay
Your Disco Needs You
Can't Get You Out Of My Head
In Your Eyes
Love At First Sight
Come Into My World
Slow
Red Blooded Woman
Chocolate
I Believe In You
Giving You Up
2 Hearts
Wow
In My Arms
All I See
The One
All The Lovers
Get Outta My Way
Better Than Today
Put Your Hands Up (If You Feel Love)
Higher (Ft Taio Cruz)
Timebomb
Flower
Into The Blue
I Was Gonna Cancel
Crystalize
Beautiful (Ft Enrique Igelesias)

Albums

Kylie
Enjoy Yourself
Rhythm Of Love
Let's Get To It
Kylie Minogue
Impossible Princess
Light Years
Fever
Body Language
X
Aphrodite
Kiss Me Once

So any thoughts, any predictions, which will win, who will crash out, all will be revealed in this thread.

This post has been edited by Acidburn: Jan 1 2015, 08:22 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Nov 1 2014, 10:39 PM
Post #2
Group icon
A celebration to last throughout the years

#56. Tears On My Pillow // Enjoy Yourself // Avg: 5.5 (10: bartsimpson) (9: Acidburn, Ultraviolence1989, Stuart25, Mango, MichaelCarty) (-1: Jester, Mr Aly, OceanBlue)

#57. If You Were With Me Now (Ft Keith Washington) // Let's Get To It // Avg: 5.5 (9: Acidburn, Slowdown73, Stuart25, Mango) (0: (MichaelCarty)

#58. Beautiful (Ft Enrique Igelesias) // Kiss Me Once // Avg: 5.125 (9: Mango), (-1/0: fgi090905, Davidson, Red Blooded Man)

#59. G.B.I. (German Bold Italic) (Ft Towa Tei) // Sound Museum // Avg: 4.446 (8.5: Stuart25) (0 Gezza, Kyliefan '14)

#60. Celebration // Greatest Hits // Avg: 4.357 (9: Regina, Fgi090905, MichaelCarty), (-1 Gezza, Aled, Luciano)

So here are the first batch of results, the bottom five, we have quite a variety already, perhaps the biggest shock is Tears On My Pillow a big #1 hit, finishing so low, but given her extensive back catalogue of hits, there will be more shocks along the way. Also we have singles from her 2nd and 4th albums, as well as an experimental sounding track from her Indie days, and also her most recent and upcoming single taken from her 12th studio album.

But first up and finishing in last place is Celebration which according to Buzzjack is your least fave Kylie song. Taken from her first Greatest Hits collection in 1992 and of course as you may or may not know it was originally sung by "Kool & the Gang" in 1980 where it became a massive hit for them. Kylie doesn't stray too far away from the original but it's not one of her most successful hits, by peaking at #20 in the UK charts, as well as charting in top 30 in Australia and Belgium, but charted best in Ireland at #11. But despite it's relative underperformance it is still one of Kylie's faves and it did find a place on her Ultimate collection in 2004, over many of her bigger hits and even performed on her comeback tour On A Night Like This and even the opening of the Paralympics in 2000. The song was also originally recorded for her 4th album Let's Get To It in 1991, but was left off and instead used as one of the three new tracks for her Greatest Hits album and released as the 2nd single, and finally it was also her final PWL single, so it was a nice fitting end to that phase in her career.

Next up is the wonderfully weird G.B.I. which is a single from Towa Tei's album "Sound Museum" in 1998. Kylie was meanwhile going through a difficult phase in her music career, since signing to Deconstruction label, she was finally getting praise from critics, but the public weren't warming to it, and this didn't do it any wonders as the strange music video where she wears a geisha outfit and gets collared like a dog, failed to get ignite interest. This really polarized fans and critics at the time, who didn't know what to make of it and even voters on this rate didn't give it many high marks, only a 8.5 and a couple of 7's, but mainly very low rates. To be honest I totally agree, okay it is a diverse song, but it's just too strange and not very Kylie. It also marks her final release on the DeCon era, as she returned to pop 2 years later. The song failed to find success by limping into the UK charts at #63 and #50 in Australia, and didn't fare better anywhere else, apart from Japan by peaking at #20, the only country that it was a success in.

At #58 is Beautiful which features Spanish heartthrob Enrique Igelesias and taken from her latest album Kiss Me Once. The song itself is an electronic ballad, and inface the only ballad on the album, it's about to be released as the 3rd single, originally planned as the 2nd single, but for some reason didn't happen and the track was panned by fans and critics were only lukewarm to it, and the fact it ranks so low on this rate, doesn't really look like a good sign. At #57 is another beautiful ballad If You Were With Me Now which features American singer Keith Washington and released in October 1991 as the 2nd single from her 4th album Let's Get To It. This is the first time that Kylie experiments with R&B and put her back in the UK top 10 by hitting #4 and after her previous single received a backlash by missing the top 10. It did well in other countries by hitting top 10 in Ireland, Slovakia and South Africa. But in Australia it became her first hit to miss the top 20 by peaking at #23. The song itself is lovely, but is often overlooked in her discography.

Finally we have at #56 "Tears On My Pillow" which was originally sung by Little Anthony and the Imperials in 1958 and has been covered by many artists throughout the years, but Kylie took it to #1 in the UK in January 1990 becoming her 4th #1 and final for 10 years. It also features on her 2nd album Enjoy Yourself and released as the 4th and final single from that album also. The song was even used as the main theme to the soundtrack of her first movie "The Delinquents" which was a UK box office smash. In Sweden the song itself reached #3, but the b-side We Know The Meaning Of Love reached #1 in it's own right. In other countries it managed top 5 peaks in Ireland and Finland, and hit top 20 in Australia, Canada and Netherlands, while peaking in the top 40 in Germany and New Zealand.

This post has been edited by SamJudd: Jan 28 2018, 02:32 AM

+Quote this post
jark
post Nov 2 2014, 10:15 AM
Post #3
Group icon
something you consider rare
User: 2,990
Already? Wasn't voting open like ten days? I didn't even get to vote yet. Pfft.

+Quote this post
gavindeejay
post Nov 2 2014, 11:14 AM
Post #4
Group icon
Why do today, what you can do tomorrow?
User: 7,645
Gutted I forgot to vote in this, but looking forward to seeing the countdown.

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post Nov 2 2014, 01:47 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031
I'm not surprised celebration is last as its one of her weakest singles but am surprised to see if you were with me now in the bottom 5.

+Quote this post
Coral5
post Nov 2 2014, 02:20 PM
Post #6
Group icon
PTTP
User: 16,865
Forgot about the voting.

"Tears On My Pillow" is my favourite Kylie's song cry.gif

+Quote this post
Gezza
post Nov 2 2014, 03:23 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Ciao, 911? E 'Quagmire. Sģ, č preso nella finestra di questo
User: 13,341
Not sorry to see most of those go- "Celebration" rightly finishing in last place but "If You Were With Me Now" is far too low.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Nov 2 2014, 06:09 PM
Post #8
Group icon
The bad news won't prevent the sun to shine

#51. It's No Secret // Kylie // Avg: 6 (9: Mango, Simon, MIKEMYERS) (0:مدهش*)

#52. All I See // X // Avg: 5.964 (10: fgi090905), (3: Nick F1, Vibe, Aled)

#53. Word Is Out // Let's Get To It // Avg: 5.66 (9.5/9: Regina, Mango) (0 MichaelCarty)

#54. I Was Gonna Cancel // Kiss Me Once // Avg: 5.625 (9:Acidburn, Luicano, MichaelCarty), (0: fhi090905, 2:Nick F1, Davidson, مدهش*)

#55. Where Is The Feeling // Kylie Minogue // Avg: 5.517 (10: OceanBlue), (1 fgi090905, MichaelCarty)

Right then okay in this selection we lose a bunch of flop and minor hits, another LGTI single drops, making it the lowest ranking lead single, another KMO single (no surprise as it was a big flop), leaving only the lead single left and 3 forgotten hits from her 1st, 5th and 10th albums.

First up we have Where Is The Feeling a single taken from her 5th album "Kylie Minogue", it was originally intended to follow "Confide In Me" , but was postponed thankfully in favour of "Put Yourself In My Place" and was delayed until July 1995 and didn't have much impact on the charts by peaking at #16 in the UK and #31 in Australia. The song was also re recorded for it's single release, by Brothers in Rhythm and totally transformed the song into an almost spoken word, making it one of her least commercial singles yet.

At #54 we have I Was Gonna Cancel, which was released as the 2nd single from her 12th album "Kiss Me Once", originally "Beautiful" was planned, but that was pushed back for some reason. Produced and written by Pharrell Williams and she had 2 days to record 2 songs with him, the other song was called "The Winners". Despite favorable reviews the single flopped at #59 in the UK charts, seems that Pharrell couldn't work his magic on this one, and don't get me started on that music video.

At #53 we have the first lead single to drop Word Is Out taken from her 4th album "Let's Get To It" and became her first single to miss the top 10 by peaking at #16 after 13 top 10 hits in a row, this was seen as a disappointment and was panned by critics and the following album received a similar fate. In Australia it was given a new mix titled Summer Breeze mix and made more of an impression by peaking at #10 in the charts. The single's b-side Say The Word - I'll Be There became very popular with fans and was even included on the 2002 re-release of her first Greatest Hits album.

At #52 is the first of the X singles to drop All I See which was released as the lead single in the USA. A strange choice as for one thing none of the other songs follow it's R&B sound and given the fact that there were much better songs on X that could have been released, and it seemed that they agree with me as it tanked over there failing to dent the top 200, but did manage to hit #3 on the US Hot Dance Club play chart and made a small dent on the Canadian charts at #87. There's also another version of this track that features rapper Mims that was released to radio formats in America and was included as a bonus track on "X "in the USA.

Just outside the top 50 is It's No Secret which is another American release, taken from her first album "Kylie" and taken as the 3rd single over there and managed to peak into the top 40 at #37. It was also intended to be released as the 5th UK single, but due to the massive success of "Especially For You" it wasn't and was only released in a couple of countries, performing best in Japan where it hit #4, but only managed a #47 peak in New Zealand, becoming the album's least successful and most forgotten single.

This post has been edited by SamJudd: Jan 28 2018, 02:35 AM

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Nov 2 2014, 06:30 PM
Post #9
Group icon
More results to follow later

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Nov 2 2014, 10:09 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Shed my skin since you came in

#47. Give Me Just A Little More Time // Let's Get To It // Avg: 6.5 (10: Acidburn, Luciano, bartsimpson, Kyliefan'14) (0: مدهش, )

#48. Better Than Today // Aphrodite // Avg: 6.5 (9: Ultraviolence1989, Liam, bartsimpson) (4:مدهش, )

#49. Put Your Hands Up (If You Feel Love) (Pete Hammond Mix) // Aphrodite // Avg: 6.089 (9: Nick F1) (1مدهش, )

#50. Cowboy Style // Impossible Princess // Avg: 6.017 (9: مدهش, Mr Aly) (1: Nick F1)

In this selection we lose another "LGTI" single, 2 flop Aphrodite singles and the first "IP" single. "GMJALMT" scores the same as "BTT" but is placed higher due to it getting 4 10's.

First up and cracking the top 50 is the first of the "Impossible Princess" era singles to drop Cowboy Style released in August 1998 as the 4th and final single from that album in Australia only, because her record deal with DeCon had expired and was not renewed due to lack of sales for the singles and album. The song marks again a different sound for Kylie, having been inspired by country music and folk and got favorable reviews from critics. There was no music video for the song, only a live performance from her "Intimate and Live" tour and only managed a #39 peak in Australia.

Next up we have 2 Aphrodite era singles Put Your Hands Up (If You Feel Love) and Better Than Today. "Put Your Hands Up" was released in May 2011 as the 4th and final single and was remixed from it's original album form into a more dance/club track titled the Pete Hammond mix. At first there weren't any plans for another single, after "BTT", but Astra;werls (her North American label) decided to release it as part of a digital bundle and no proper music video, just a lyric video and despite positive reviews in ir's new remixed form, it performed worse than the album's previous singles, due to no promo or airplay, it bombed in the UK peaking at #93 (her 2nd lowest charting single), but fared a little better in Australia at #50 and it did manage top 40 in Austria at #38, the only success it had was on the US Hot Dance/Club charts by hitting #1 like all the album's singles did over there.

"Better Than Today" was released in December 2010 as the 3rd single from Aphrodite and it was originally recorded by Nerina Pallot for her "Buckminster Fuller EP" in 2009. It was re-recorded by Kylie and produced by Stuart Price and became the first song recorded for the album and was first showcased on her "For Me For You Tour" in America. It got mixed reviews from critics and fans who saw it as a good album track but not a good single and it only reached #32 in the UK and only charted in another 2 countries and faring even worse by peaking at #55 in Australia and #63 in France.

Now finally at #47 is the biggest hit of the bunch "Give Me Just A Little More Time" which was released in January 1992 as the 3rd single from her 4th album "Let's Get To It" and also meaning that we only have song left from that era in this countdown. Originally sung by Chairman Of The Board in 1970 and hit #3 for them, Kylie did one better and hit #2 with it in the UK and became the album's most successful single, even though it was seen as a safe choice and a step backwards, but nonetheless became her 15th top 10 hit. Also it was the only song from the album to feature on her "Ultimate Kylie" collection in 2004. In other countries it topped the charts in South Africa and hit top 10 in Slovakia and Ireland and top 30 in Australia, while also making small dents in Germany and Netherlands.

This post has been edited by SamJudd: Jan 28 2018, 02:37 AM

+Quote this post
jark
post Nov 3 2014, 08:55 PM
Post #11
Group icon
something you consider rare
User: 2,990
Cowboy Style is f***ing phenomenal. Definitely the very best of "experimental" KM.

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post Nov 4 2014, 06:57 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
I really like "give me just a little more time" and I'm surprised it scored lowly. Looks like finer feelings will be the highest position for any LGTI single.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Nov 4 2014, 07:14 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
QUOTE(slowdown73 @ Nov 4 2014, 06:57 PM) *
I really like "give me just a little more time" and I'm surprised it scored lowly. Looks like finer feelings will be the highest position for any LGTI single.

I'd say deservedly so, being the only properly decent thing to come from that era.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Nov 5 2014, 06:20 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Swimming through a sea of broken promises

#43. Crystalize //Avg: 6.796(10: Acid burn, Mikemyer) (1: Gezza)

#44. What Kind Of Fool (Heard All That Before) // Greatest Hits // Avg: 6.75 (10: Acidburn, Regina, Stuart25, fgi090905) (0: Michaelcarty)

#45. Some Kind Of Bliss // Impossible Princess // Avg: 6.571 (11: good delta), (2: Nick F1)

#46. Finer Feelings //Lets Get To It // Avg: 6.535 10: (Mango, bartsimpson, Ocean blue), (0: fgi090905)]

Right then okay firstly we say goodbye to the last of the LGTI era singles Finer Feelings, released in April 1992 as the 4th and final single from that album. Originally planned as the 2nd single but was held back in favour of IYWWMN and was then remixed by Brothers In Rhythm for its release and peaked at #11 in the UK, in Australia it became her first to miss the top 50 peaking at #60 and remained her lowest charting single over until 2010. The song has remained a firm fave among fans and many were angry when it weren't included on her ultimate collection in 2004. In 2011 it was re recorded and included on her Abbey Road Sessions album in 2012.

At #45 is Some Kind Of Bliss released in September 1997 as the lead single from her 6th album Impossible Princess. The song was written by James Dean Bradfield and Sean Moore. Kylie originally wanted Limbo as the lead single, while 'Too Far' and 'Jump' were also considered, but eventually this was chosen and again Kylie showcases a new indie rock sound. But at the time she was experiencing a major media backlash which affected her sales and it becambe her first to miss the UK top 20 at #22, it didn't help the fact that it was released the same week as Elton John's tribute song to the death of Princess Diana and due to this the album was pushed back until the following year and re-titled to "Kylie Minogue" for it's UK release.

At #44 is 'What Kind Of Fool (Heard All That Before)' released in August 1992 as the lead single from her first Greatest Hits album, it was also her last original single with PWL as the follow up was a cover, in the music video she recreates scenes from 'God Created Woman' starring Bridget Bardot' an actress she would imitate later on in her career. It became her 18th top 20 hit in the UK by peaking at #14, while reception at the time was lukewarm, this has been seen as a cult fave amongst Kylie fans, despite her not liking it very much and has never been performed properly on any of her tours (apart from a few medleys). This did mark an end of an era for her as she would finish her contract with PWL and move on to the second phase of her career.

At #42 is Kylie's latest and most recent single Crystalize released in June of this year as a Charity single for One Note Against Cancer, and it was originally recorded during the KMO sessions but was left off due to that it didn't fit the theme of the album, but the song mean't so much to her that she kept it back for a stand alone release, but like her most recent stuff it didn't set the charts alight by peaking at #60 in the UK, and it did manage to make small impressions in France, Ireland and Spain

This post has been edited by Acidburn: Sep 6 2015, 05:44 PM

+Quote this post
Regina
post Nov 5 2014, 08:54 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572
All 4 of them are amazing songs sad.gif

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post Nov 6 2014, 12:24 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Its a shame crystallise wasn't included on KMO as its a lot better than some of the album tracks.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Nov 6 2014, 12:33 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
'Crystallize' isn't anything that special to me.

The recently materialised 'Glow' and 'Break This Heartbreak' on the other hand. wub.gif

+Quote this post
Red Blooded Man
post Nov 6 2014, 01:30 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 822
QUOTE(mr_aly @ Nov 6 2014, 08:33 PM) *
'Crystallize' isn't anything that special to me.

The recently materialised 'Glow' and 'Break This Heartbreak' on the other hand. wub.gif

Agree, Crystallize sounds like the leftover of leftover from IBIY.

+Quote this post
Mangų
post Nov 6 2014, 03:01 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 151
What Kind Of Fool heart.gif
Some Kind Of Bliss heart.gif
Finer Feelings heart.gif

All far too low in this countdown sad.gif

This post has been edited by Mango: Nov 6 2014, 03:02 PM

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post Nov 11 2014, 10:58 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Looking forward to the rest of the countdown...

+Quote this post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 10:31 AM