BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Classic Cinema 1950-1959, Notable Movies
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Insomnio
post 13th December 2014, 12:30 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 10,742

I feel that these old gems deserve to have a place here. Everytime I watch movies from this period, I will add them here. If you watched movies from this era, you could add them here. My first movie is "Pillow Talk".

"Pillow Talk" is a Hollywood comedy that has all the elements that define the old American classic cinema. It was released in 1959 and it was nominated for 5 Academy Oscar, from which it won the Academy Award for "Best Writing (Original Screenplay)". It was one of the most successful movies of that year and the viewers loved the leading pair (Doris Day and Rock Hudson). Although I have not seen many movies from the 50s and 60s, I found it as a good opportunity to watch this film at the nearby neighborhood cinema.
"Pillow Talk" is one of the most enjoyable movies I saw this year. The story made us laugh many times, the dialogues were clever and well written and the interpretations of the actors were gifted. It reminded me of the good old Greek cinema although our domestic productions were affected by those of Hollywood. It is the second film I see starring Doris Day (after "The Man Who Knew Too Much") and I found her very good with this performance too. She was nominated for "Best Actress in a Leading Role" the following year. On the other hand, it was the first movie I saw with Rock Hudson and the character he played was fun. There was chemistry between the two protagonists and they played with such naturalness that it was a delight to watch. The directing was undertaken by Michael Gordon and the script was co-written by Russell Rouse, Maurice Richlin, Stanley Shapiro and Clarence Greene. The second roles were quite nice and the picture of movie were full of bright colors. The music was very good while there were some songs that reminded of us musicals and the Academy proposed the movie for the Oscar "Best Music". The story unfolds in a fun way and time passes without realizing it. Additionally, we observe that in these films, there were not provocative elements to cause fuss or impressions (no swearing, no nudity), in contrast with new productions. Of course, in modern times this way of making movies can be considered old-fashioned and outdated by some people, but that it is qualitatively superior to what we see today. Of course, there are exceptions. At least, they respected their audience and it is no coincidence that it remained a classic over the years. Nowadays, it is obvious that the moral and production values have been lost and they have become a second thought in movie production.
"Pillow Talk" is one of the best comedies I've seen this year. It was very pleasant and there is no way that the audience didn't fall in love with this movie. It has received a high average score in IMDb (7,5) and it's an ideal choice for this period. Especially now, with the cold and the snow/rain. I highly recommend it to the fans of romantic comedies.

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
richie
post 16th December 2014, 08:49 AM
Post #2
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller
User: 166

Not usually high in critic lists, but the Million Pound Note is one of my favourite ever films.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Million_Pound_Note

This post has been edited by richie: 16th December 2014, 08:49 AM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 16th December 2014, 12:09 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

Some Like It Hot, a masterpiece and everyone should watch it at least once in their life happy.gif

Calamity Jane. Doris Day at her best.

The Searchers. Epic western.

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers. First great horror/sci fi.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 03:52 AM