BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Ultimate Kylie Minogue - Rate Results, Full Results announced on Page 9
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
gryds
post 13th November 2014, 07:16 AM
Post #21
Group icon
New Entry
User: 21,369

Whoa at some of my favorites at the bottom! So looking forward to the rest of the countdown though.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Liamshikari27
post 22nd November 2014, 06:33 AM
Post #22
Group icon
New Entry
User: 21,213

Um...

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post 22nd November 2014, 01:27 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031

Are we getting anymore of the countdown? Been a while since an update.

+Quote this post
Atonement
post 22nd November 2014, 03:55 PM
Post #24
Group icon
I just had to see your face to feel alive
User: 10,676

'Where is the Feeling' #55? LOL. Already invalid.

+Quote this post
jark
post 23rd November 2014, 06:19 PM
Post #25
Group icon
something you consider rare
User: 2,990

Quite!

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 11th December 2014, 08:59 AM
Post #26
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

So sorry guys, my laptop crashed a couple of weeks ago, so I'll be posting the rest of the results throughout the next couple of days

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 11th December 2014, 09:51 AM
Post #27
Group icon

I Lay Intoxicated, while angels circle high above

#41. Please Stay // Light Years // Avg: 6.892 10 Regina, 2: Gezza

#42. Giving You Up // Ultimate Kylie // Avg: 6.839 10: Mr Aly, 4: Vibe, Kylie'14

Right just outside the top 40, are 2 top 10 hits, both released during the 00's and are both final releases, one from Light Years and one from her Ultimate collection.

First up we have Giving You Up at #42, released in March 2005 and received a mixed reception, and not considered one of her strongest singles, and many and I agree that the b-side Made Of Glass was much better and was deemed so popular in Australia that this was released as a double a-side. But despite that it did get good charting success in several countries, by reaching top 10 in Spain, UK and Australia, while hitting top 20 peaks in Denmark, Finland and Ireland.

Next up and just outside the top 40 is "Please Stay" released in December 2000 as the 4th and final (in some countries) from her 7th album Light Years. She uses the Latin Flamingo sound for the first time in her career. Success for this was quite limited, due to fans protesting for "YDNY" to get released (it did in a few countries, but not the UK). But it did manage a top 10 peak in the UK rounding off a very successful comeback year for her there, and top 20 peaks in Australia and Slovakia.

This post has been edited by Acidburn: 6th September 2015, 05:47 PM

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 11th December 2014, 10:27 AM
Post #28
Group icon

My Desire's getting strong, I can't hold back anymore

#12 Let's Get To It // 1991 // Avg: 5.63 8: Mango, gooddelta, Kyliefan '14, -1: Red Blooded Man

Right now before we head into the top 40 Kylie singles, here are the first batch of results from the album rate and to no surprise out first is "Let's Get To It", and given the fact that all of the album's singles have already dropped out of this rate.

Released in October 1991 and was Kylie's 4th album with PWL records and again moving forward with her sound and image, which started with her last album. This album features a number of different sounds and variety such as Dance pop, Techno, New Jack Swing and even R&B. Critical reviews were mixed and due to the backlash she received for it's lead single, this became her lowest charting and selling album of her career, failing to chart in the top 10 in the UK or Australia. Despite a successful tour of the same name and further singles charting better, it still didn't turn things around.

To be honest I can't really defend this album, despite a few decent tracks, it still isn't up to the standards of others that came before or after, and this was the point in her career where she had 4 albums out in 3 years, and PWL didn't know where to take her sound to next, while her tastes was changing and maturing, Stock Aitken and Waterman wanted Kylie to be stuck in the past and keep her churning out hit after hit and not concentrating on fully developing her sound, and you can see why she left this label after her contract expired, there was just simply nowhere to go next. Maybe if more time was spent on this, then maybe it could have been better and more tighter.

The album itself can't make up it's mind as it mixes in way too many sounds and styles that were hip at the time, but are now quite stale and dated. Although there are some fine tracks on here, Finer Feelings and If You Were With Me Now are both stunning and sophisticated, while Right Here Right Now mixes mixes flavours of dance, pop and R&B funk wonderfully and fully captures the early 90's sound, while the album closer I Guess I Like It Like That is wonderfully cheesy and dated while going for that techno sound. While Too Much Of A Good Thing where the production and heavy sounding backing singers drowns her out, and the title track goes for the Urban sound, but doesn't quite pull off it's full potential and other weak moments are Live And Learn and it's lead single Word Is Out

This post has been edited by Acidburn: 25th December 2014, 11:40 PM

+Quote this post
Regina
post 11th December 2014, 11:05 AM
Post #29
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572

Please Stay is hopelessly underrated.

Acid Burn, come do the 2014 Output rate in the Kylie forum cheer.gif

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 11th December 2014, 11:25 AM
Post #30
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

I enjoy 'Please Stay', 'Giving You Up' however is one of my firm favourites and is criminally underrated. sad.gif

Let's Get To It is her only album I would actually say is awful. Yuck.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 11th December 2014, 04:38 PM
Post #31
Group icon

But you don't confuse emotion with the pleasure principle

#11 Body Language // 2003 // Avg: 6.962 9: Luciano, 8: Acidburn, Regina, Stuart25, Aled, Kellyann, Mr Aly, OceanBlue, Vibe, MichaelCarty, Red Blooded Man & Jay. -1: Gezza

At #11 and just outside the top 10 by the skin of it's teeth is Kylie's 9th album "Body Language" and with a much higher average. Released in November 2003 and following on from the massive success of "Fever" from 2 years previous. Although she could have easily played it safe and followed the same formula which brought her back with a vengeance, but no, instead she further extended her sound and self by taking a much more riskier and diverse approach, exploring synthpop, electro clash, R&B and hip hop as well as becoming influenced by sounds of the 80's as well as bringing back her Bridget Bardot image.

Opinion's were mixed, while more towards the positive side, but maybe not as commercially successful as before, but still reinventing herself and taking a step forward. The first single and album opener Slow with it's minimal and pulsating beats, while at the same time very laid back and seductive. A risk that definitely pays off. Following tracks Still Standing really cranks things up with a bit of funk and electropop, and then raps for the first time on Secret (Take You Home) balancing just the right amounts of R&B and funk. Of course Red Blooded Woman continues the urban sound, but with a more polished sound. But towards the middle the album loses it's mark with tracks such as Obsession and the simply strange I Feel For You doesn't quite hit the mark. But gladly picks up towards the end with the gorgeous and mellow beat of Loving Days.

This post has been edited by Acidburn: 29th December 2014, 11:33 AM

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 11th December 2014, 05:24 PM
Post #32
Group icon

Don't blame me just because I'm bored

#38 Higher (Ft Taio Cruz) // Rokstarr // Avg: 7 (11: Ultraviolence1989, 10: Gezza, 1: Aled

#39 Chocolate // Body Language // Avg: 7 10: Ultraviolence1989, Nick F1 0: fgi090905

#40 Breathe // Impossible Princess // Avg: 6.91 (9: Regina, Stuart25,مدهش* , OceanBlue, Red Blooded Man, Kyliefan '14), (1:fgi090905}

Right as we now enter the top 40, we lose the 3rd "IP" era single, leaving just 1 left, and the first "Body Language" single and her collaboration with Taio Cruz also bows out at this point.

First up at #40 is "Breathe" which was released in February 1998 as the 3rd and final official single from her 6th album "Impossible Princess", and also last on the DeCon label and her final UK solo single of the 90's. The song itself contains elements of trip hop and was praised for it's subtle theme. It didn't gain much commercial success when released but it did become her 28th UK top 40 hit by peaking at #14 before dropping down the charts like a stone, while in Australia it peaked at #23, while in other countries it made the top 20 in Spain and top 10 in Greece.

At #39 is another ballad Chocolate which was taken as the 3rd and final single from her 9th album "Body Language" in June 2004. Written by Karen Poole and Johnny Douglas who co-wrote tracks for her "Light Years" album, and was cited as an early fave by Kylie herself when the album was released. Lyrically Chocolate is a simile for her obsession with love, and it's music video was directed by Dawn Shadforth and was envisioned as a tribute to Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer musicals. It chiefly features Minogue and numerous backup dancers, in a hall, performing a dance routine choreographed by Michael Rooney. Originally the track was gonna be remixed for it's release to feature Ludacris, but never came to light, although a demo version leaked online. Worldwide the song charted in the top 10 in the UK and Hungary, and top 20 in Australia, Greece and Italy, then top 40 in Ireland. It also charted in lower peaks in 5 other countries.

At #38 we have Higher which is a single by Taio Cruz and taken from his 2nd album "Rokstarr". Released in November 2010 and early 2011 in the UK. The song was originally written for Kylie's 11th album "Aphrodite" but plans fell through and instead Taio snapped it up and recorded it as a duet with Kylie for the European release, while Travie McCoy featured on the American release. The song became a smash hit in several countries by hitting the top 5 in Norway, Austria, Germany, Hungary, Swiss and New Zealand and top 10 in the UK and becoming her final to date, and hitting top 10 in 7 other countries, then top 20 in 4 other countries..

This post has been edited by Acidburn: 26th December 2014, 12:26 AM

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 11th December 2014, 05:44 PM
Post #33
Group icon
Break the tension

'Higher' really is too high here.

I know 'Chocolate' is pretty maligned, but I love it! So sexy and sensual.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 11th December 2014, 05:50 PM
Post #34
Group icon

Results so far =

Singles

38 // Higher (Ft Taio Cruz)
39 // Chocolate
40 // Breathe
41 // Please Stay
42 // Giving You Up
43 // Crystalize
44 // What Kind Of Fool (Heard All That Before)
45 // Some Kind Of Bliss
46 // Finer Feelings
47 // Give Me Just A Little More Time
48 // Better Than Today
49 // Put Your Hands Up (If You Feel Love) (Pete Hammond Mix)
50 // Cowboy Style
51 // It's No Secret
52 // All I See
53 // Word Is Out
54 // I Was Gonna Cancel
55 // Where Is The Feeling
56 // Tears On My Pillow
57 // If You Were With Me Now (Ft Keith Washington)
58 // Beautiful (Ft Enrique Igelesias)
59 // G.B.I. (German Bold Italic)
60 // Celebration [/font][font="Georgia"]

Albums =

11 // Body Language
12 // Let's Get To It

This post has been edited by Acidburn: 13th December 2014, 11:57 PM

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 12th December 2014, 08:27 AM
Post #35
Group icon

Take two of these and meet me in the shadows

#10 Kiss Me Once // 2014 // Avg: 6.962 9: Acidburn, Ultraviolence1989, Mango, Luciano, 2: مدهش 3:fgi090905

As we now kick off the top 10 of Kylie's albums, we start off with her latest collection "Kiss Me Once" and despite scoring the same as "BL", this gained more 9's. This was her first release in 4 years following "Aphrodite" and marked the first time that she signed with Jay Z's label Roc Nation and worked with an array of current producers such as Pharrell Williams, Sia and MNEK..

Released in March of this year, and met with a very divided opinion, while being commended for it's pop sound and standout moments, but on the whole came across as rather bland and lacked depth. While a promo track Skirt was released last year, and many thought that it indicated the style of what's to come. But that wasn't the case as this was left off the album altogether, which was a shame as it's slick beats and stylish bouncey fun and it's very experimental sound could have showcased something fresh and exciting, but it wasn't to be. The end result was while still very much fun, but rather safe and just lacked that something special..

The ever wonderful Into The Blue opens up the album and it's perfectly crafted pop with empowering lyrics and uplifting message that will forever remain a classic in Kylie's discography, so no complaints about this, very eurohoric and definitely the comeback everyone wanted. Plus 3 tracks that has the word sex in them, firstly the ever so catchy and bonucy and often described as "Wow" meets "Love At First Sight" Sexy Love from it's opening line "There you go you're like fireworks" and "You look so sexy, sexy in my bed", really captures that joyful summerey vibe. There's the infamous Sexercise where she attempts dubstep, but doesn't quite pull it off as it's all over the place and dis-jointed, and doesn't quite know what its going for but she looks great in the promo music video and who cares how old she is, she's fantastic and the vid is hot without being ridiculously over the top.. But the best one is Les Sex, where she really gets the perfect balance of seductiveness and elegance with it's addictive hooks and a touch of fun campness, maybe if the whole album had followed this kind of style, then it would have better. Other highlights include the awesome Sia produced title track Kiss Me Once a beautiful melody that really soars. But other moments like If Only suffers from over production and the vocals gets lost in it and along with Beautiful which features Enrique Igelesias and labelled as an electronic ballad, but the overuse of auto tune makes it bland and uninteresting. Feels So Good which has a gorgeous electropop sound, but on the whole becomes forgettable and doesn't leave a lasting impression.

Okay the album may not be the best album of her career, but its certainly not her worst, as it's very hit and miss with some brilliant moments, but there are too many fillers gives off an uneven balance. Maybe if they combined the album's highlights along with the Garibay tracks that have recently leaked, then this could have been something truly special.

This post has been edited by Acidburn: 26th December 2014, 10:07 PM

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 12th December 2014, 09:07 AM
Post #36
Group icon

Everybody's doing a brand new dance now

#35. Turn It Into Love // Avg: 7.196 10: Acidburn, Regina, Mango, OceanBlue, Kyliefan'14, 2:مدهش*)

#36. Flower // The Abbey Road Sessions // Avg: 7.178 10: Red Blooded Man, 3: Vibe, Gezza

#37. The Locomotion // Kylie // Avg: 7.107 11: MIKEMYERS, 10: Acidburn, Ultraviolence1989, Kyliefan'14, 2: Vibe

In this selection we lose 2 more fantastic classic singles from her debut album, and the ever beautiful "Flower" which was featured on her "Abbey Road Sessions" album as the only single.

First up at #37 is "The Locomotion" which is somewhat of a shock bowing out this early and honestly thought it would have gained more higher scores and placed a little higher, (but oh well) So anyway this fun classic tune was first released in Australia in July 1987 as her debut single, for charity and featured her neighbors cast mates in the music video and was meant to be just a one off and basically having fun. But as fate would have it, it became a massive hit over there by topping the charts for 7 weeks and went on to become the biggest selling song of the decade over there. Which caught the attention of Pete Waterman and one thing led to another, she ended up getting signed to PWL records in London leading her to work with Stock Aitken and Waterman and would begin the start of a very successful career move for her. The song was later re released worldwide in July 1988 as the 3rd single from her debut album "Kylie" and again became another massive hit. In the UK it reached #2 for 4 weeks and sold over 440,000 copies, becoming one the years biggest selling singles, and in other countries it topped the charts in Belgium, Canada, Finland, Ireland, Japan, South Africa and even Persia, and hitting top 5/10 peaks in Austria, Germany, France, Norway, Swiss, then Netherlands, Italy, New Zealand and Sweden. Also even hitting top 3 in the USA and therefore becoming one of her all time most successful hits. The song was originally sung by Little Eva in 1962 and has been covered many times over the years. I still love it to this day personally, and often go back to it when listening to Kylie. music.

Next up at #36 is Flower which was originally written for her 10th album "X" but didn't make the final cut, but was first showcased on her KylieX2008 tour and later re recorded for her Abbey Road Sessions album and released as a single in September 2012. Lyrically the song is about Kylie wanting to start a family of her own, and was instantly praised upon release, with such beautiful vocals, just simple and stripped back production where Kylie shows that is truly talented. But when released it was ineligle to chart as it was given away as a free download upon the release of the album, so it only charted on downloads causing it to limp at #96., becoming the lowest charting single of her career in the UK.

Finally at #35 is another Kylie era single Turn It Into Love the 6th and final overall single, was released in Japan only in December 1988 where it topped the charts for 10 weeks and has became a much loved Kylie anthem and a perfect example of classic bubblegum pop from that era and over the years and she has still performed the track on many of her tours throughout the years. Hazell Dean even released a cover in the same year and again produced by Stock Aitken and Waterman, but only managed a peak of #21 on the UK charts and even Same Difference covered the song with a more updated sound for their debut album "Pop" in 2008, and was due to be the 2nd single but was scrapped due to them being dropped by the record label. But neither version compares to Kylie's original version.

This post has been edited by Acidburn: 6th September 2015, 05:47 PM

+Quote this post
Regina
post 12th December 2014, 10:30 AM
Post #37
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572

QUOTE(Acidburn @ Dec 12 2014, 09:27 AM) *
Released in March of this year, and met with a very divided opinion, while being commended for returning to her pop sound, but on the whole came across as rather bland. While a promo track Skirt was released last year, and many thought that it indicated the style of what's to come. But that wasn't the case as this was left off the album altogether and in my opinion this album is very much fun.

When did she leave it? tongue.gif

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 12th December 2014, 11:58 AM
Post #38
Group icon
Break the tension

QUOTE(Regina @ Dec 12 2014, 10:30 AM) *
When did she leave it? tongue.gif

I suppose 1997.

I return to about half of Kiss Me Once these days, now I've lived with it for a while I've weeded out stuff like Million Miles, Feels So Good and Fine as being a bit fillerish, and also 'Beautiful' which I never liked anyway. There are enough gems though.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 12th December 2014, 01:06 PM
Post #39
Group icon

I'm dancing with the chairman of the board

#32. Especially For You (Ft Jason Donovan) // Ten Good Reasons // Avg: 7.357 (10: Acidburn, Ultraviolence1989, Gezza, Kellyann, Mango, Kyliefan '14), (0: Davidson, Mr Aly)

#33. Shocked // Rhythm Of Love // Avg:7.339 (10: Liam, fgi090905, Red Blooded Man), (4: Nick F1)

#34. Kids (Ft Robbie Williams) // Light Years // Avg: 7.25 (10: Ultraviolence1989, Kyliefan'14), (3: Red Blooded Man)

Right now in this batch we lose 3 more massive hits, (it's getting serious now), including 2 iconic duets and the first from the "ROL" era to drop. Each gained several highscores though.

Firstly at #34 is Kids which features Robbie Williams and taken as the 3rd single from her 7th album "Light Years" in October 2000 as well as featuring on Robbie's 4th album "Sing When You're Winning" as the 2nd single. Both Robbie and Guy Chambers co-wrote the song for Kylie, but he liked it so much he decided to turn it into a duet and became an instant smash hit for them both by hitting #2 in the UK and selling over 200,000 copies and hit top 10 in Ireland and New Zealand. In other countries it hit top 20 in her homeland of Australia, and top 40 peaks in Netherlands, Italy, Sweden, Swiss and Belgium. Both Kylie and Robbie have performed the song on several of their tours, and Kylie even sung it as a duet with both her sister Dannii and Bono from U2, on her Showgirl Homecoming tour.

At #33 is Shocked which was released in May 1991 as the 4th and final single from her 3rd album "Rhythm Of Love". The song was remixed by DNA for it's single release and features a rap section by Jazzi P and received positive reception, despite a lyric was misunderstood thinking that it was I was f***ed to my very foundations, but it's actually "Shocked", it became another chart hit for her by reaching #6 in the UK becoming her 13th top 10 hit in a row, as well as hitting top 10 in Australia, Ireland, Finland, Slovakia and South Africa.

At #32 is "Especially For You" which is the ever iconic duet featuring fellow former Neighbours co-star and boyfriend "Jason Donovan", the song featured on his debut album "Ten Good Reasons" and the American version of her 2nd album "Enjoy Yourself". The song was an instant classic upon release when it entered the UK charts at #2 on November 1988 and spent 4 weeks at that position before climbing to #1 for 3 weeks and as of 2014 the song has now sold a Million copies in the UK, giving her, her 2nd million seller and being one the only few artists to achieve this feat. They both performed it again in 2012 at the Hit Factory Live, for the first time since 1989. In other countries it was also successful by topping the charts in Belgium, Greece and Ireland, as well as top 5 peaks in Australia, New Zealand, France, Danish and Finland. The song was also covered by Denise Van Outen and Johnny Vaughn in 1998 for Children In Need and charted at #3 on the UK charts.

This post has been edited by Acidburn: 6th September 2015, 05:48 PM

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 13th December 2014, 12:29 AM
Post #40
Group icon

My trembling subsided in his sure embrace

#30 Je Ne Sais Pas Pourqoui // Kylie // Avg: 7.41 (11: Gezza), (10: Acidburn, fgi090905, Mango, Jester, MIKEMYERS, bartsimpson), (3:مدهش* , Vibe)

#31 Where The Wild Roses Grow (Ft Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds) // Murder Ballads // Avg: 7.375 (10: Mango,مدهش*,Mr Aly, Red Blooded Man, Jay), (3: Nick F1)

In this selection another 2 big hits bow out and both very different, one from her 80's pop era, and the other from her indie days during the 90's which definitely had a polarizing effect on her career at that time.

At #31 is "Where The Wild Roses Grow" which was a duet between Kylie and Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, and written by the frontman Nick himself and taken as the lead single from they're 9th album "Murder Ballads". He was inspired to write the song after listening to the traditional song "Down The Willow Garden", which tells the tale of a man courting a woman and then killing her. He wanted Kylie for the song straight away after becoming obsessed with her for 6 years and he had written several songs for her, but it was this one that he thought she would be perfect for. Released in October 1995 and won rave reviews and none of Kylie's fans saw this kind of thing coming and she was seen in a new light. The song became a big hit when released, becoming Nick Cave his biggest and most successful hit of his career. The song charted best in Australia by reaching #2 and hit top 5 in Belgium, Norway, Poland, Sweden and Austria. Also hitting top 10 in Ireland, Denmark and The Netherlands. In the UK it wasn't quite as successful by peaking at #11 before dropping out fast. In other countries it hit top 20 in 4 other countries. Both artists re-recorded the track again for her The Abbey Road Sessions album in 2012.

And cracking the top 30 is Je Ne Sais Pas Pourqoui which was released in October 1988 as the 4th single from her debut album "Kylie". The English title means "I Don't Know Why" and was written and produced by Stock Aitken and Waterman and became another chart smash for her by topping the charts in Finland and hitting #2 in UK and Ireland, top 10 in Norway and New Zealand, as well as top 20 peaks in Australia, France and Germany. Originally it was meant to be released as a double a-side with new track Made In Heaven in the UK, with the plan of promoting "JNSPP" first during it's early chart run, then flip it over to this track, but the former performed so well by spending 3 weeks at the #2 position, and "MIH" got overshadowed and forgotten and wound up as being the b-side instead, and was left off her official Greatest Hits and Ultimate Kylie albums, but did finally end up on the 2001 re-release of her first Greatest Hits album.

This post has been edited by Acidburn: 16th December 2014, 02:15 PM

+Quote this post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 04:17 AM