BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> TOKYO 2020 | Closing Thread
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
PeteFromLeeds
post 9th August 2021, 04:56 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Just thought I'd make a thread to tie up everything that's gone on over the last two weeks! I know no-one reads paragraphs so here's a few points you might want to discuss:

- How did you enjoy this year's Olympics / how have they compared to other years for you?
- Any favourite Olympic moments?
- What did you think of how we discussed it all on Buzzjack? Did you prefer us separating the threads or did you like 'one big thread' as we had in 2016?

Feel free to add anything else you might want to add in here!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 9th August 2021, 09:03 PM
Post #2
Group icon

Personally I've really enjoyed following the games throughout, maybe not as much as London as they were the first Games I really paid attention to but these were good enough. My favourite moment has to be the women's road race, a breakaway winner so unexpected that even the main group didn't realise she had already won the gold! I'd like to thank everyone who's contributed to the Olympic discussion on Buzzjack over the last two weeks as well.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 9th August 2021, 09:19 PM
Post #3
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

It clashed with my holiday so I didn't get to follow it as much as I'd like in the second week, but I really liked it when it did, turns out that while it wasn't a good idea in theory, in execution, it actually went pretty smoothly. Credit to Japan for being a really solid and well organised set of hands for this, I would've selfishly liked a bit more of a show in the ceremonies under normal circumstances, but hopefully, things will be safe enough that Paris can deliver that by the time we get there in 2024. The BMX double Gold, Laura Muir's Silver and Sky Brown being our youngest ever medalist were great moments for Team GB that I managed to catch and I also loved India getting their first ever Athletics medal on the last day.

The organisation with the threads was great, I actually prefer it this year as one big thread can be difficult to navigate and this is much more user friendly, great job!

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 10th August 2021, 12:41 AM
Post #4
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

I didn't see as much of it as I thought I would in part due to accessibility, the local CCTV had only two sports available for free and I often just have to go with whatever VPN is working at the time for access beyond that (and unlike most things, sports changes provider with whatever 'country' you're in), and often I just wanted to do other things, but what I did see was great, I think Tokyo did really well with the hosting of it. Best moment I saw was the 100m final as I happened to be out in a pub with a big screen and was able to pay attention to it all.

Threads were fine, I think I did miss the togetherness of the one thread that means it's easy to post in and follow the event as a whole, but categorising them does make sense for people who want to read about one kind of sport.

+Quote this post
Riser
post 10th August 2021, 02:32 AM
Post #5
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534

I didn't watch a ton of Olympic coverage but really enjoyed what I saw and thought it was worth the year-long delay. The highlight for me was both the men's and women's 400m hurdle finals, and I enjoyed watching Norway win the men's beach volleyball gold too. I'm really missing not having any Olympics to watch tonight, so it's nice knowing we're just six months away from the Winter games!

I think I preferred this separate-threads format since there are a handful of sports I have no interest in, so it was easier to tune out of those discussions and focus more on the others.

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 10th August 2021, 12:55 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961

I thought this was a good Olympics with a regular haul of gold medals for Great Britain and even two for Ireland. I ended up watching quite a lot of different sports that I wouldn't normally watch. I particularly enjoyed the skateboarding, the BMX cycling and the modern pentathlon. I'd like to think that the next time there are world championships in swimming, track cycling and gymnastics that I will be watching but I'll probably end up not bothering because I don't have the time. It's a shame there were no crowds in the venues but the Japanese did a great job hosting under difficult circumstances.

I don't think I mind if there is one big thread or separate threads. Either will be fine next time.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 10th August 2021, 08:11 PM
Post #7
Group icon

I agree with the comments about the execution of the games by Japan - with all the various controversies as to whether they should have hosted the games they really have organised it very well and I hope the Japanese public were able to eventually get on board with it as it happened.

Thanks for the remarks so far about the threads - out of interest, for those planning on watching the Paralympics would you prefer a split thread or one big thread approach? I imagine it will garner considerably less discussion than the Olympics so can see arguments either way.

+Quote this post
Houdini
post 10th August 2021, 10:56 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,725

I think Tokyo did a good job hosting the Olympics under the circumstances. There were a lot of sports that I didn't watch but I did enjoy the swimming and Taekwondo during the first week. From the 2nd week onwards though it was pretty much only the athletics that I watched and it was very enjoyable, so much so that I'm thinking of following it on a more regular basis with the Diamond League events. The only thing missing was the fans in the stadium but the standard was still so high with many records being broken.

I agree with others here regarding the separate threads, I thought it was well organised and it made it a lot easier to talk about specific sports.

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 11th August 2021, 11:43 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Aug 10 2021, 09:11 PM) *
Out of interest, for those planning on watching the Paralympics would you prefer a split thread or one big thread approach? I imagine it will garner considerably less discussion than the Olympics so can see arguments either way.

I'm not intending to watch much of the Paralympics so I think one big thread would be sufficient.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 01:39 AM