BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vogue ● 30 Years
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post Mar 31 2020, 08:19 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

27 March marked 30 years since Madonna released one of her most universally loved and iconic hits, 'Vogue'. A celebration of music, fashion, freedom and love, the song brought house music to the US mainstream and introduced the world to a fierce, striking style of dance. It became the biggest selling single of 1990, topping the charts in over 30 countries and achieving to date sales of over 6 million.

Equally as celebrated is the stylish music video, directed by David Fincher. It received nine MTV VMA nominations including three wins and is often regarded as one of the best videos by music publications. When it passed 100 million views on YouTube in 2019, Madonna became the first female artist to have videos with 100 million views across four different decades.

30 years on, what are your thoughts on the song and video?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jordanlee
post Apr 1 2020, 12:18 AM
Post #2
Jord
Group: Members
Member No.: 27,116

I think this is the song what’s grown on the most from first listen.

I didn’t get it at first when I devoted into her catalogue. I hated the song and the video. Overtime though I really do get it now. I can see it being a bit marmite like to the GP but I think it’s something what’s still very relevant and I’d say it’s her biggest LGBT anthem too.

An ahead of its time anthem.

+Quote Post
vibe
post Apr 1 2020, 01:33 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

What ? This song is definitely not like marmite .

It is one of the most iconic songs and videos of all time.

Vogue remixes have now been added to you tube. I want them added to streaming services .

The blond Ambition performance has also been added to you tube .

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Apr 1 2020, 09:17 PM
Post #4
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,007

It's definitely not a marmite song I would've thought; it's universally loved isn't it?

Regardless, it's definitely up there as one of the greatest songs of all time. The video too - they don't do it like that anymore.

I don't listen to it as much as I should because it doesn't feature on any of her major studio albums, but everytime I do hear it.. it's pure JOY. Pop perfection ~ Happy 30th! wub.gif

+Quote Post
Padamic Tension
post Apr 1 2020, 11:19 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Idol
Member No.: 845
   No Gallery Pics

I never liked vogue when it was released but over the years i have grown to really like it.

+Quote Post
Jordanlee
post Apr 2 2020, 01:34 AM
Post #6
Jord
Member No.: 27,116

I had it down as being divisive outside this forum for some reason laugh.gif laugh.gif

It’s probably one of the first Madonna songs to spring to mind for most people though.

+Quote Post
vibe
post Apr 2 2020, 09:01 AM
Post #7
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Reinvention tour performance of Vogue has been uploaded to YouTube .

+Quote Post
spiceboy
post Apr 2 2020, 10:15 AM
Post #8
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 39,568
   No Gallery Pics

I can’t believe it’s only sold 6 million! It’s such an iconic hit feels like it should be on sales of double that!

+Quote Post
vibe
post Apr 2 2020, 10:47 AM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Spiceboy @ Apr 2 2020, 11:15 AM) *
I can’t believe it’s only sold 6 million! It’s such an iconic hit feels like it should be on sales of double that!

Madonna has always release her classics when record sales were at an all time low and this was the case in 1990. It went to number 1 in over 30 countries.

The same happened to Hung Up in 2005.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Apr 4 2020, 07:00 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Idol

One of Madonna's very best for sure! The music, the visuals, the dance, the performances - the whole package is just perfect. The song essentially does what is says on the tin; guaranteed to make you dance, be theatrical, be confident, be together. A timeless classic. heart.gif

There's a really interesting podcast about the making of the song here: https://insidethegroove.podbean.com/e/insid...pisode-1-vogue/ Really recommend checking it out. I had already realised the song was inspired by Shep Pettibone's remix of Janet Jackson's 'Miss You Much' the previous year, but I hadn't realised it sampled Madonna's own 'Lucky Star' and 'Like a Virgin'! ohmy.gif The 'Lucky Star' sample is really obvious when you realise.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Apr 16 2020, 02:28 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Idol

Madonna was the subject of MTV's Rockumentary in April 1990:

Outtakes and b-roll of the 'Vogue' music video:

Talent recognising talent:

+Quote Post
Padamic Tension
post Apr 16 2020, 08:02 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Idol
Member No.: 845
   No Gallery Pics

Loved kylie's mash up.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post May 20 2020, 11:53 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Idol

30 years since 'Vogue' hit #1 on the US Billboard Hot 100!

On This Day In Billboard History: Madonna Brought the Transcendence of 'Vogue' to No. 1

At the start of the '90s, Madonna had seven Billboard Hot 100 No. 1s under her boy-toy belt and could pretty readily make the case she was the defining female pop star of the '80s. The only thing arguably working against her was the embarrassment-of-riches issue of figuring out how to follow-up a career-defining smash such as 1989's "Like a Prayer."

She solved that problem by dropping another world-shifting pop hit. "Vogue," which became her eighth Hot 100 No. 1 30 years ago today (May 19, 1990), topped the chart for three consecutive weeks and remains one of her most enduring hits. Over the course of this lush, gradual ascent into thumping house-disco bliss aided by co-writer and co-producer Shep Pettibone, Madonna lays out yet another masterful manifesto about ecstatic liberation on the dancefloor.

Inspired by the visually dramatic dance style of voguing that grew out of Harlem ballroom culture (as depicted in the classic 1990 documentary Paris Is Burning), Madonna tapped dancers/choreographers Jose Gutierez Xtravaganza and Luis Xtravaganza from that world to show America how it was done. While Madonna hardly invented the iconic moves, her global reach propelled voguing into the mainstream, a double-edged sword that season 2 of FX's Pose thoughtfully dealt with in 2019 (on one hand, it gave scene players an industry launch pad, but some queer people of color felt their culture had been appropriated, then discarded, after the craze went out of, well, vogue).

Thirty years after "Vogue" topped the chart, it's truly difficult to think about something related to the song that isn't iconic: There's the irresistible choreography; David Fincher's black-and-white art deco music video; her Marie Antoinette-styled VMAs performance of the song; the movie-star roll call near the end; and also every damn lyric. Really, the only thing "Vogue"-adjacent that isn't a clear victory is the album it first called home: I'm Breathless: Music From and Inspired By the Film Dick Tracy. It was a hit, certainly, peaking at No. 2 on the Billboard 200, but remains one of the more neglected titles in her otherwise essential catalog, in no small part because its biggest single shares almost nothing in common with the rest of the LP other than an affection for Golden Era Hollywood.

It probably wouldn't surprise anyone to learn "Vogue" wasn't even intended for that collection of Sondheim numbers and Jazz Age throwbacks. According to Pettibone, it was given a budget of $5,000 and slated as a b-side for "Keep It Together," but when execs heard it, the plan changed. "The attitude was like, ‘This isn't gonna be a b-side. How can we get this out there?’” Pettibone recalled to Billboard in 2015 of the decision to tack it on to the Dick Tracy companion album.

Regardless, three decades later, its power remains undiminished. When Madame X trotted out "Vogue" at Pride Island 2019 during New York City's 50th anniversary of Stonewall World Pride celebration, the response was deafening, with the crowd surging like a tsunami. But even then, it was so much deeper and deeper than just bumping and grinding: It was a magical, life's-a-ball moment of transcendence few dance songs dare to reach.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/938...ogue-number-one

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post May 20 2020, 11:54 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Idol

The video for the 12" remix has been uploaded to Madonna's channel too:

Love this extended mix! Makes the intro even more fierce 🔥

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post May 22 2020, 11:31 PM
Post #15
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,007

Yeah the extended mix is brilliant. What a song, even 30 years on! wub.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:06 PM