BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> JLS - Beat Again Tour - November 2020, On sale now - extra dates added
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
-Jay-
post 1st March 2020, 06:53 AM
Post #61
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

QUOTE(ThePensmith @ Feb 29 2020, 07:41 PM) *
I think that's probably where Pussycat Dolls have fallen down, 'React' is an OK song but it's no 'Don't Cha' or 'Beep'. Not to mention that with the best will in the world, a great deal of Nicole Scherzinger's career since their split was along the same lines musically.

The Pussycat Dolls haven't "fallen down", they are doing 24 dates in Europe, including two at London O2. They're booked and busy! JLS having a bigger tour doesn't mean that Pussycat Dolls aren't doing well, their reunion is successful in its own right.

The Pussycat Dolls are an act from the 2000s, and the fact that they have managed to achieve a Top 40 comeback single in 2020, after an 11 year break from the charts... is highly impressive. Particularly when streaming and radio support is going to be more of a struggle for them in comparison to more current/youthful artists. The perceived quality of React is subjective and is not a reason to claim that they're struggling with their reunion.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
kye
post 1st March 2020, 10:19 AM
Post #62
Group icon
• aesthetic party •
User: 2,169

QUOTE(Spiceboy @ Mar 1 2020, 01:37 AM) *
A few reasons:

1) JLS were always more popular with the general public than Pussycat Dolls. PCD are either not really known or not very popular with the general public as individuals. JLS had the journey on X Factor and connected well with the public then and afterwards, there's more goodwill towards them.

2) They were more successful overall in the UK, they had more hits and released more albums and charted higher than Pussycat Dolls did.

3) They are a boyband, in the media / music industry boybands continue to get much better treatment than Girl Groups do. Magazines / papers will be all "hot JLS boys come back we've missed them etc etc ect" while they are all "PCD act like whores for comeback look like sluts etc etc etc"

4) JLS left on a good note just as the public was getting bored of them so they never experienced a backlash they were seen as friends and seem to have continued to be so, PCD had a messy split following a second album that was seen as a flop and alot of bitching etc going on and the general consensus is probably that they still cannot stand each other and are only doing it for the money (or because Nicole can't get a solo music career off the ground).

yeah, nobody really knows the pussycat dolls - they’ve only sold 34 million more records than jls.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 1st March 2020, 10:51 AM
Post #63
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

QUOTE(kye @ Mar 1 2020, 10:19 AM) *
yeah, nobody really knows the pussycat dolls - they’ve only sold 34 million more records than jls.

I don't mean it in that way at all. I mean from a UK perspective (where JLS have outsold PCD btw) more people recognise JLS as a group and as individuals as they followed their journey on X Factor and then for years after when X Factor was the biggest show on TV. Bar Nicole most people wouldn't recognise most members of PCD if they saw them in the street as it's very much Nicole and her backing dancers (maybe Ashley and Kimberley for a few due to their stints on DOI / Strictly and whatever her show was).

As a group on a worldwide scale (or even just outside the UK) PCD obviously blow JLS out of the water. In the UK though JLS released more music and had more hits.

This post has been edited by Spiceboy: 1st March 2020, 10:52 AM

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 1st March 2020, 08:31 PM
Post #64
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

Considering that JLS had four studio album eras, compared to The Pussycat Dolls’ two, there’s not that much between them in terms of singles tbh. Pussycat Dolls actually have more certified singles here, 9 of them, whereas JLS have 8. Don’t Cha & Jai Ho lead the way in terms of overall sales before we get to JLS’ best seller (Beat Again), which I imagine gives PCD the edge with overall singles sales.

JLS did better on albums, but they did release annually in Q4 for 5 years in a row. Whereas The Pussycat Dolls took 3 years to follow up PCD, which could have been a bit of a momentum killer. I wouldn’t say Doll Domination flopped though. It was a comedown for sure, but it sold somewhere between 270k and 300k (I don’t think we know a more accurate figure, but it outsold Spice Girls - Forever, and it’s not yet Platinum). Meanwhile The Mini Collection version went Silver, meaning it’s sold over 60,000 and less than 100,000. Overall those were still pretty decent numbers.

In fairness to Pussycat Dolls, their debut album was phenomenally successful here! It sold over 1,300,000 copies, which makes it the best selling girl group album of the 21st century. It’s only ~100k behind JLS’ debut album, and it’s ~600k ahead of JLS’ second best selling album.

I don’t think Pussycat Dolls are necessarily less recognisable in the UK than JLS. JLS being a boy band means they’ve more easily managed to maintain a certain loyal demographic... of largely female fans who are feeling nostalgic. A female act like Pussycat Dolls can’t compete with that, but they’re still doing very well in their own right.

I don’t know accurate JLS studio album sales, but here are some estimations:

1,400,000+ JLS
700,000 Outta This World
470,000 Jukebox
150,000 Evolution

Accurate figure from Friday:

153,897 Goodbye: The Greatest Hits

+Quote this post
kye
post 1st March 2020, 08:52 PM
Post #65
Group icon
• aesthetic party •
User: 2,169

QUOTE(Jay ☆ @ Mar 1 2020, 08:31 PM) *
Considering that JLS had four studio album eras, compared to The Pussycat Dolls’ two, there’s not that much between them in terms of singles tbh. Pussycat Dolls actually have more certified singles here, 9 of them, whereas JLS have 8. Don’t Cha & Jai Ho lead the way in terms of overall sales before we get to JLS’ best seller (Beat Again), which I imagine gives PCD the edge with overall singles sales.

JLS did better on albums, but they did release annually in Q4 for 5 years in a row. Whereas The Pussycat Dolls took 3 years to follow up PCD, which could have been a bit of a momentum killer. I wouldn’t say Doll Domination flopped though. It was a comedown for sure, but it sold somewhere between 270k and 300k (I don’t think we know a more accurate figure, but it outsold Spice Girls - Forever, and it’s not yet Platinum). Meanwhile The Mini Collection version went Silver, meaning it’s sold over 60,000 and less than 100,000. Overall those were still pretty decent numbers.

In fairness to Pussycat Dolls, their debut album was phenomenally successful here! It sold over 1,300,000 copies, which makes it the best selling girl group album of the 21st century. It’s only ~100k behind JLS’ debut album, and it’s ~600k ahead of JLS’ second best selling album.

I don’t think Pussycat Dolls are necessarily less recognisable in the UK than JLS. JLS being a boy band means they’ve more easily managed to maintain a certain loyal demographic... of largely female fans who are feeling nostalgic. A female act like Pussycat Dolls can’t compete with that, but they’re still doing very well in their own right.

I don’t know accurate JLS studio album sales, but here are some estimations:

1,400,000+ JLS
700,000 Outta This World
470,000 Jukebox
150,000 Evolution

Accurate figure from Friday:

153,897 Goodbye: The Greatest Hits

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 7th March 2020, 09:05 PM
Post #66
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771

They're on Saturday Night Takeaway next week!

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post 8th March 2020, 07:57 PM
Post #67
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208

QUOTE(WhoOdyssey @ Mar 7 2020, 09:05 PM) *
They're on Saturday Night Takeaway next week!

I just saw! Excellent stuff, will be interesting to see what they perform.

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 10:29 PM