BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
61 Pages V  « < 36 37 38 39 40 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The Vinyl Thread, Audiophiles, step this way...
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
No Sleeep
post 12th February 2021, 09:10 PM
Post #741
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 22,008

Made me biggest vinyl purchase ever! Bid £93 for The Rarities vinyl and won, don’t know if I’m happy about that exactly but doubt I’ll ever get it much cheaper laugh.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 12th February 2021, 09:30 PM
Post #742
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Talking of expensive things, I woke up this morning to find I've spent £100 on an acid jazz album from the early 90s from South Korea.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 12th February 2021, 10:40 PM
Post #743
Group icon
User: 13,007

You guys make me feel so much better about the money I spent and I probably have a tiny, tiny FRACTION of the collection that you guys have laugh.gif (I am a newbie, give me time to build it up tongue.gif)

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 13th February 2021, 04:21 PM
Post #744
Group icon
Mansonette

Oh I spend way too much. I've been trying to cut back but I'm completely addicted, I clearly need to find more to do because I just find myself scanning for potential purchases whenever I'm bored. I've been getting a lot of older dance singles etc recently but I don't like any surface noise so I'm only going for NM copies and it can cost about £10 - £20 a record ://///

+Quote this post
No Sleeep
post 13th February 2021, 08:21 PM
Post #745
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 22,008

I’m not a big collector either really! Started in 2018 and buy around 10 per year, but I’ve already exceeded that this year lol. And I can relate with the scanning for potential purchases! I need to be banned from Discogs and eBay lol.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 13th February 2021, 09:28 PM
Post #746
Group icon
Mansonette

So despite me saying I need to cut back a mere 5 hours ago, this evening I've been on an 80s synth binge and bought:

Pet Shop Boys - Discography
Erasure - Pop!
The Human League - Dare!
Duran Duran - Rio

Cost me about £200 but all are originals and in mint or NM condition and I know I'll play them loads, I did cheekily put in an offer for Pop that was half the asking price and they accepted ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 14th February 2021, 07:58 AM
Post #747
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

QUOTE(No Sleeep @ Feb 12 2021, 09:10 PM) *
Made me biggest vinyl purchase ever! Bid £93 for The Rarities vinyl and won, don’t know if I’m happy about that exactly but doubt I’ll ever get it much cheaper laugh.gif

Ooh well done! dance.gif Judging by eBay's sales history you managed to get the second least expensive copy from the UK, so far... most purchases have been over £100!

I really want The Rarities, but I don't think I can justify the cost of it unfortunately sad.gif I was so tempted to order it when it was available via her store, but again I didn't feel like I could justify the price - and the thought of a potential customs charge on top of it was pretty off-putting. cry.gif

Speaking of Mariah, I received Emotions and Music Box yesterday. I've decided I want a complete collection of her studio albums after all! E=MC2 and Me. I Am Mariah... The Elusive Chanteuse are due to arrive next week. Then the only ones left for me to get are Rainbow, Charmbracelet, Merry Christmas II You (I think I missed the boat with this one in terms of getting a reasonably priced copy, oops) and Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel (and Glitter, but that isn't reissued yet... I'm keeping my fingers crossed there's an intention for that to get a 20th anniversary pressing)

+Quote this post
Jester
post 14th February 2021, 06:07 PM
Post #748
Group icon
Right in front of my salad?!
User: 12

My latest 2:

Erasure - ABBA-Esque EP
Harry Styles - Fine Line

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 14th February 2021, 06:42 PM
Post #749
Group icon
Mansonette

How weird, I also bought ABBA-Esque! ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Jester
post 14th February 2021, 06:53 PM
Post #750
Group icon
Right in front of my salad?!
User: 12

QUOTE(dandy* @ Feb 14 2021, 06:42 PM) *
How weird, I also bought ABBA-Esque! ohmy.gif

That is weird! Wonder what made us both decide to buy it at the same time?!

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 14th February 2021, 08:36 PM
Post #751
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

Got a nice vinyl valentines gift from the wife today - the current Michael Kiwanuka album on vinyl, great surprise!

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 14th February 2021, 09:08 PM
Post #752
Group icon
Mansonette

^^
How does it sound? I have it on yellow vinyl and it looks amazing... but sounds atrocious on the louder tracks sad.gif

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 14th February 2021, 09:10 PM
Post #753
Group icon
Mansonette

QUOTE(Jester @ Feb 14 2021, 06:53 PM) *
That is weird! Wonder what made us both decide to buy it at the same time?!

Well I was prompted after getting Pop and then remembering that it didn’t have Lay All Your Love On Me on it, that was always my fave

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 14th February 2021, 09:28 PM
Post #754
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

QUOTE(dandy* @ Feb 14 2021, 09:08 PM) *
^^
How does it sound? I have it on yellow vinyl and it looks amazing... but sounds atrocious on the louder tracks sad.gif

I’ve yet to give it a spin but hopefully will this week, must check the colour of the vinyl!!

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 15th February 2021, 07:50 AM
Post #755
Group icon
Mansonette

Hope yours sounds good! It’s a great album though, lovely gift happy.gif

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 15th February 2021, 11:47 AM
Post #756
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217

A moaning post! kink.gif

I'm really tired of Urban Outfitters American exclusives... cry.gif They have a bit of a monopoly when it comes to pop artist titles. They certainly recognised and took advantage of this niche in the market! They most notably have exclusivity with Britney Spears first-time-on-vinyl albums and subsequent reissues, as well as colour reissues of Gaga albums. Although not of interest to me, they've even pressed albums that pop fans would never have dreamt would happen, such as Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton, Hilary Duff and more artists of that ilk.

Thankfully there's a very kind person on Popjustice that offers a shipping service, which saves members on postage and custom charges. Even with that taken into account, the albums are still a bit pricey. For instance, Britney's album - each record was £37 via him. Generally that's more than I would ideally spend on a single vinyl album (the Britney albums are printed with very thin and flimsy sleeves, not a gatefold). I feel like they're only truly worth £20 at most. For Britney though, I just had to! If I had ordered directly from UO, then it's likely that they would have been nearer £60 each instead, inc. probable custom charges, which is just ridiculous.

There have been a number of albums that I would quite have liked to own, but had to pass on, because I couldn't justify spending over the odds on a regular basis. I mean, I spent £300+ on completing the Britney collection. Sometimes my hand is forced though, and I feel like I *have* to buy from there. There was no way I was missing out on The Fame/The Fame Monster, for instance! *.*

Another bad thing about UO is that they take no care at all with their packaging. The amount of dented corners, creases and split seams copies that people have received from them is crazy. Every release ends up with a barrage of complaints, but UO evidently don't care enough to rectify that.

It does strike me as odd that some labels grant UO in the US exclusivity for albums. I completely get it with artists like Hilary Duff, but then there's other titles where I think they'd have benefited more from a more widespread pressing.

Maybe I shouldn't admit to wanting this... kink.gif ... but One Direction's debut album is a UO exclusive, it is seemingly a limited pressing because it sold out during the pre-order stage. I passed on it. It's my least favourite album by them, I didn't think the green colour of the vinyl looked nice in the mock up, and the track list on the website wasn't the complete album. In the end though, the green actually looks a lot more pleasant than the mock up suggested, and it is the full track list after all. So I want it after all... but it's going for stupid prices on eBay. The average selling price of all the 37 copies that have sold so far is £68.89 (not including postage)... ranging from a low of £55 to a high of £82. The lowest 'buy it now' is currently £72.50. There's copies being bid on now that have reached £50-ish, despite there being a few days left until they end. Seeing this level of demand and high prices makes me think that their record label has missed out on many more sales and profit? Unless the deal struck between UO and the label was so beneficial to the label that it made more business sense than having copies available in Europe. It just seems weird to me that a British boy band with international popularity would have their best selling album restricted to one store in the US.

I suppose this stranglehold that UO has will continue, and I suppose good on them for seeing the gap in the market for pop vinyl titles and being very successful with them! I wish they would at least make the titles available in European UO stores too, but they rarely do (Britney albums firmly remained US exclusive). It would have been good if HMV had had a similar business venture, but their exclusives tend to lean towards rock/indie that isn't my cup of tea, but they probably assume that such titles are easier to sell than pure pop artists.

Well that was an essay heehee.gif

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 15th February 2021, 12:36 PM
Post #757
Group icon
Mansonette

I totally echo your feelings. I don't want a huge amount of their exclusives but why on earth should they be limited to the US when the chain itself is a worldwide one?!!!

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 15th February 2021, 01:39 PM
Post #758
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

agree thats really bad.
and since Brexit, now we have the same problem in EU, we cannot buy anymore from UK shops cos the taxes are crazy

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 16th February 2021, 07:46 PM
Post #759
Group icon
User: 13,007

@Dandy*, I forked out and just ordered the 10 Year Anniversary boxset for 'My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy' wub.gif The images look STUNNING!!

I also spent hundreds on loads of others (collections of Ariana, Kendrick, other Kanye, Charli XCX, Amy Winehouse etc - but will post the links when they're delivered).

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 16th February 2021, 07:58 PM
Post #760
Group icon
Mansonette

Oooooo let me know how it sounds! It looks very similar to the original to me but it is a very nice package - plus of course the album is essential

+Quote this post

61 Pages V  « < 36 37 38 39 40 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 03:14 AM