BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ScotBudg 2017
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Andrew.
post Dec 14 2017, 05:57 PM
Post #1
is in hibernation
Group: Banned
Member No.: 21,161

thread to discuss new budget unveiled today!

I really like some of the proposals MacKay has gave (public sector pay, attainment gap etc) but I can't say the income tax plans are one of them. I consider myself for progressive taxation and I'm glad the really high earners are getting a tax increase but my parents both fall into the 24-44k bracket which is moving from 20 to 21p, I know that doesn't seem like a lot but despite their incomes our family is struggling financially at the moment and this won't help. It helps me as I get a reduction though ohmy.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Dec 14 2017, 06:37 PM
Post #2
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

I'd agree - IIRC the Labour 2017 manifesto pledge was NOT to raise taxes for individuals earning <£80,000/year by introducing a 'new' tax bracket for those earning between £80,000 and £150,000.

Splitting the basic rate into 3 and penalising those earning near the median/average seems a bit regressive as you say.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Dec 14 2017, 06:55 PM
Post #3
Howdy, disco citizens
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

Will be interesting to see if the Scottish Conservatives gain a boost as a result of this tax rise. And if Berwick-upon-Tweed gets a sudden influx of new residents.

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Dec 14 2017, 07:07 PM
Post #4
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

Though with the 1% cut to the first 2K earned over the threshold it should only start to mean (modest) tax increases for those on incomes >£33K, so it's not quite as bad I originally assumed.

+Quote Post
Silas
post Dec 14 2017, 07:13 PM
Post #5
Queen of Soon
Member No.: 3,474

Interesting use of the limited powers that they have. A little tax cut for the poorest will go down well with their base and help them shore up there instead of leaking to Corbyns Labour.

The Tories will scream blue murder but if a journalist did their f***ing job properly they’d collapse like a house of cards as their idea is to take a sledgehammer to budgets and things like free prescriptions that are very popular

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Dec 14 2017, 08:54 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Dec 14 2017, 06:55 PM) *
Will be interesting to see if the Scottish Conservatives gain a boost as a result of this tax rise. And if Berwick-upon-Tweed gets a sudden influx of new residents.

How long would it take for the saving in income tax to pay for the stamp duty on the new house? That's before all the other expenses involved with moving.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Dec 14 2017, 09:04 PM
Post #7
Howdy, disco citizens
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Dec 14 2017, 09:54 PM) *
How long would it take for the saving in income tax to pay for the stamp duty on the new house? That's before all the other expenses involved with moving.

I never said that the people who would do such a thing were the types of people to think rationally...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:25 PM