BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Mr. Holmes, Director: Bill Condon | Sir Ian McKellen
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Insomnio
post Jul 25 2015, 02:51 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 10,742
I'm a fan of Serlock Holmes and I think that Sir Ian McKellen was suitable for this role. "Mr. Holmes" hit the peak at my country's Box Office the last week. I'm going to see it this weekend.

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Insomnio
post Nov 17 2015, 08:57 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 10,742
"Mr. Holmes" was released in my country’s cinemas in the middle of July! Although that time period was the worst in Greece since the regime change (Metapolitefsi), "Mr Holmes" managed to attract a respectable proportion of the public to the cinema. It had the biggest earnings in the Greek Box Office in the first week of its release and it was one of the main reasons to see it on the big screen! Mr. Holmes is based on the novel "A Slight Trick of the Mind" by Mitch Cullin" and starring the beloved actor Ian McKellen!
The film takes places in a British province two years after the end of World War II, where the 93 years old man, Sherlock Holmes, returns home after a short business trip to Japan. He deals with his beehives and he has as sole companion the steward of his house, Mrs. Munro, and her young son, Roger. However, the state of his health is very serious and is going through the last stages of his life. It's been nearly 30 years since his last case and he tries to recall why that made him resigns. Little Roger will be the one who helps him unravel this mystery, since he develops a special friendship with the overage Holmes. To be honest, the film left me mixed feelings when it finished. It was not bad in any way, but I did not find something intriguing about its story. However, the directing was very good and Ian McKellen was excellent once again! I think that he was the best choice for this role and he could have impersonated Sherlock Holmes when he was much younger too. The director, Bill Condon, did a great job, in which the magnificent photography played an important factor. However, I firmly believe that the visual part of the film literally overshadowed the plot, which did not remind of us the unique stories of the legendary detective. I understand that the author of the novel wanted to show us the vulnerable side of the literary hero but he failed to create mystery and suspense in his latter case. I found more interesting the dialogues with young Roger regarding beehives and bees -some information was enlightening- than its main story.
"Mr. Holmes" has a remarkable production which unfortunately is not based on an interesting script idea. However, it seems pleasant due to the very good performances and the intense colors that inundate the image. I imagine it could have been loved by several spectators because they saw the human side of the famous literary character but personally I prefer to know him as I knew him as a child. I cannot understand the obsession that all these writers / authors have with the sensitive aspects of the heroes. We have seen this many times in comic book film adaptations and the result was not always the nicest. Let's better leave the existing heroes in their peace, and let’s try to invent new characters that will be based mainly on their emotional side.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:01 AM