BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
9 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Buzzjack's Top Horror Films Of All Time: The Results, FINISHED | Come Check it Out & Comment!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
UltraCruelSummer
post Apr 1 2017, 11:11 AM
Post #101
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
10 Cloverfield Lane is fantastic, a film that really holds up on multiple views and really is thrilling and perfectly acted!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Severin
post Apr 1 2017, 11:30 AM
Post #102
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872
57. A Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors

187pts | 2002 | USA
Top 20's:CODY (#1), JACKJONES (#8)

Freddy Krueger returns to murder the last surviving children of the parents that burned him alive.

Regularly cited as the best of all the sequels part 3 skilfully avoids the odd homoerotic nature of the 2nd film and doesn't quite veer too far into the cliche's and comedy that subsequent films would push. In this film whilst Krueger was clearly the film's big selling point he was still nasty and horrific enough to scare audiences - as the character should be.
Heather Langankamp returns as Nancy but this time she knows what Freddy is all about, and her character helps to tie the film in to the first one much more capably than anything that Freddy's Revenge managed. It also features the debut role for Patricia Arquette, who would go on to be a star in her own right.
The return of Wes Craven helps too, with a much more developed storyline than last time. Craven had resisted being involved in the 2nd film as he hated the idea of a franchise and worked on this in order to kill Freddy for good. Ironically, his involvement gave the film a boost in quality and inspired the studio to push for more films, most of which have unfortunately only dulled the impact of the first.
Among Dream Warriors' standout moments are Robert Englund's always lecherous Freddy and the dream sequences, some of which are particularly memorable, and I would say this is well worth watching if you've never seen it,.

This post has been edited by Severin: Apr 1 2017, 11:30 AM

+Quote this post
PaulM1983
post Apr 1 2017, 01:19 PM
Post #103
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 6,471
I totally missed this rate so I can't complain about the results, but Dream Warriors is a great horror movie. It's easily the 2nd best of the whole series. It does feel like number 57 is way too low dry.gif

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Apr 1 2017, 01:23 PM
Post #104
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
The Thing is one of the most suspenseful and wonderful horror films of all time surely, really is far too low. I don't think I've seen a film that makes better use of a claustrophobic setting.

This post has been edited by Chez W♀mbat: Apr 1 2017, 01:24 PM

+Quote this post
Severin
post Apr 1 2017, 05:34 PM
Post #105
Group icon
Mansonette
QUOTE(Chez W♀mbat @ Apr 1 2017, 02:23 PM) *
The Thing is one of the most suspenseful and wonderful horror films of all time surely, really is far too low. I don't think I've seen a film that makes better use of a claustrophobic setting.

Agreed. I can only assume people haven't seen it or were put off by the useless prequel.

In fact, me and the family are going to watch it tonight now

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Apr 19 2017, 12:43 PM
Post #106
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915
QUOTE(UltraBasicWitch @ Nov 7 2016, 11:15 AM) *
86. The Grudge

124pts | 2004 | America
Top 20's: Cody (#2)

And into 86th place, we have a film I was expecting a lot lot higher than this in the form of the American remake of The Grudge, and it received a top 2 from Cody! This is the first of two kind of shocks in a row of films that I thought would make the top 40!

The Grudge is an American remake of Ju-On: The Grudge and is produced by Sam Raimi and stars Sarah Michelle Gellar! The film was directed by Takashi Shimizu (director of the previous Ju-On films) and is told through a non-linear sequence of events and includes several intersecting subplots! The film was a box office success, making $187 million on just a $10 million budget, but however received mixed reviews from critics! It was followed by two sequels, The Grudge 2 and The Grudge 3- the latter I think may have been direct-to-DVD! The film stayed at #1 for two weeks in America and became the first horror film to top the box office on Halloween since 'House On Haunted Hill' 5 years before! The film's box office success far exceeded the expectations of box office analysts and Sony Picture executives. It was one of the most profitable movies of 2004 and is recognised as the second highest grossing horror remake of the past 40 years, only behind The Ring! It is also second in Japanese remakes and the 10th highest opening for an October release. The film received a 39% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and the unrated director's cut was released on DVD!

This is one of the main horror films I've been desperate to check out for a while and is something I've always meant to get round to watching! Still shocked this is so low, the original has actually beat it!

One of the strangest films I've seen. I was expecting this to be higher up the countdown too.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post May 1 2017, 10:09 PM
Post #107
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
who is meant to be doing the next lot?

i swear this & animation will be finished before the end of 2017!!!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post May 6 2017, 10:15 PM
Post #108
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
Oops! I think it's me!

I'll do one now and I shall do a couple more tomorrow! If I can't do them tomorrow, if Severin doesn't mind, I'll PM the rest of the batch to him and if he has time he could perhaps do it?

Really sorry! laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post May 6 2017, 10:40 PM
Post #109
Group icon
56. It Follows!

198pts | 2014 | USA
Top 20's: NONE

A supernatural entity follows a woman around after "the curse" is passed on via sexual activity. How to stop it? Pass it on to the next person.

'It Follows' is not only a supernatural horror, thriller film, but it is easily one of the most original and unique concepts we've had, not only for the horror genre, but any movie in a long time. It's basically a movie about a supernatural entity being passed around via sexual activity (the only way to stop it is to pass it on by having sex with someone else), this supernatural entity is someone only the person who is cursed can see and it can take the form of ANYONE they see! No matter how far she goes and despite the entity only being able to move at walking pace, it will always know where she is and if caught, it will kill her and then move on to the person who then passed it on to her. With some genuinely terrifying moments and a concept that, on paper sounds a bit ridiculous and farfetched, it's definitely one of the most daring and surprise box office hits in a while.

This was the critics darling of 2014. Much like 'Get Out' this year and it is full of tense, genuinely creepy moments and I definitely recommend giving it a watch if for whatever reason you're unsure whether to watch it or not.

+Quote this post
Severin
post May 7 2017, 10:47 AM
Post #110
Group icon
Mansonette
It Follows is brilliant and certainly ne of the best U.S. Horrors in recent years.

And yes Jonjo if you can't manage it I will gladly help out

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post May 7 2017, 06:22 PM
Post #111
Group icon
55. Paranormal Activity 2

203pts | 2010 | USA
Top 20's: NONE

Shot on video camcorder, 'Paranormal Activity 2' follows the sister of the first movies victim as they install cameras due to thinking they have been burgled, but as the days go by, they realise it's something a lot more sinister and dark.

'Paranormal Activity 2' is the follow up to the breakout smash hit, 'Paranormal Activity'. Shot in the same hand held camera way as it's predecessor (and 'The Blair Witch Project'). The beauty in this franchise is the build up, imo. As each night passes, things gradually begin to get worse and there's a sense of paranoia and tension each time the "Night ..." screen shows up. Obviously a horror film is not a horror film without it's scares and this one packs a great punch or two! Not just one or two "moments", but you are contantly on your seat waiting for that moment! Very suspenseful.

Is this the greatest movie ever made? No. But as far as sequels go, this is right up there as one of my absolute favourites. It stays really true to the original movie, but still delivers something new and exciting. It's early in the franchise so things haven't quite gotten as OTT yet! (The 5th and the spin off are the worst offenders of doing that!) Definitely worth a watch, but I would recommend watching the first too!

+Quote this post
Severin
post May 24 2017, 06:36 PM
Post #112
Group icon
Mansonette
54. The Silence Of The Lambs

206pts | 1991 | USA
Top 20's:CHEZ (#11), HARRY (#11)

FBI agent Clarice Starling enlists the help of renowned yet psychotic psychiatrist Dr. Hannibal Lecter in order to catch serial killer 'Buffalo Bill'. However, Lector has his own motives...

For me personally The Silence Of The Lambs isn't a Horror film. It's a dark thriller, and for that reason, in my list I gave it lower marks than I would normally. I included it in my list because I knew it would feature somewhere and didn't feel it right that a (imo) non Horror might win the whole thing. However, given its lowly position at here at 54, and in light of the fact that many inferior films will appear later I'm rather regretting that decision. The Silence Of The Lambs is easily among the best films in this list.
When accomplished director Johnathan Demme took the chair for this sequel to Michael Mann's excellent Manhunter he essentially started over.
The film could have turned out very different if some of the people associated or originally offered parts had actually made the film -
Director - Gene Hackman
Clarice Starling - Michelle Pfeiffer
Dr Lecter - Sean Connery, Daniel Day-Lewis and Derek Jacobi (possibly Hackman too)

But Demme assembled an exemplary cast featuring two highly respected lead actors in Hopkins and Foster, both of whom were arguably at the peak of their talents, and they and everyone else involved crafted one of the finest films of its type ever made. A special mention should also go to Ted Levine's brilliantly understated performance as Buffalo Bill.

From a budget of only $19m the film took an impressive $272m total, became the talked about film of the year and won 'the big five' Oscars - Best picture, director, actor, actress and adapted screenplay, along with a host of other awards from various ceremonies. It very quickly became of the most quotable films of all time

The Silence Of The Lambs is an utter triumph of film-making and I urge anyone who hasn't seen it to settle down with a bottle of chianti and watch this.

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post May 25 2017, 05:50 PM
Post #113
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666
Silence Of The Lambs is a magnificent film ("A census taker once tried to test me, I ate his liver with some fava beans a nice chianti")

May you rest in peace, Jonathan Demme.

+Quote this post
Severin
post May 28 2017, 10:42 AM
Post #114
Group icon
Mansonette
53. Dawn Of The Dead

210pts | 2004 | USA
Top 20's:JACK JONES (#4), HARRY (#4)

A small group of disparate individuals must band together to try and survive the zombie apocalypse

Remember when Zack Snyder films weren't universally hated? This is one of them. A surprisingly decent (and different from the original) remake of George Romero's classic that still manages to be effective to this day.
The film starts out at the very beginning of the outbreak with many people unaware of what is initially happening and very quickly we see a small neighbourhood completely overwhelmed in an opening scene that is charged, frenetic and the highlight of the film. What follows afterwards isn't quite as thrilling but skillfully incorporates the expected beats and themes of a zombie movie without ever coming across as too formulaic.
It remains one of the better modern zombie movies.
A sequel was planned but eventually cancelled despite the film's success at the box office and some positive critical reaction

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post May 28 2017, 06:52 PM
Post #115
Group icon
'Silence Of The Lambs' is fantastic! Worthy of all the praise.

'Dawn Of The Dead' remake is a fun horror film too. A little eh at some parts, but it's watchable and enjoyable enough. I have not seen the original to compare it though!

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post May 28 2017, 07:57 PM
Post #116
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666

+Quote this post
Severin
post Jun 1 2017, 06:35 PM
Post #117
Group icon
Mansonette
52. Scary Movie 2

231pts | 2001 | USA
Top 20's:REGINA (#13)

Four teens are tricked by their professor into visiting a haunted house for a school project.

I'll best honest - Never seen this, and never will, so I have no idea if it is any good. However, it is a Wayans' film and has a Metascore of 29 and an IMDB score of 5.3 so I'm guessing it's not the greatest film ever but probably has a degree of appeal to number of people.
This is part 2 of a 5 movie series, all of which were parodies of well known Horror films (In this case predominantly haunted house films) where the emphasis was on gags rather than scares, very much in the tradition of Repossessed and tracing a lineage that goes back to films like Airplane. Despite a critical panning the film became a box office hit taking around 3 times its budget of $45m. Except for the fifth installment it was the lowest grossing of the franchise.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Jun 1 2017, 10:10 PM
Post #118
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915
Scary Movie 2 higher than The Silence of the Lambs? What.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jun 1 2017, 10:55 PM
Post #119
Group icon
Welcome to Buzzjack laugh.gif

'Scary Movie 2' actually isn't terrible. It's definitely the best of that franchise. The first is stupid, but enjoyable but the rest of them are downright awful.

+Quote this post
Severin
post Jun 4 2017, 09:36 AM
Post #120
Group icon
Mansonette
51. Dark Shadows

233pts | 2012 | USA
Top 20's:CODY (#11)

An imprisoned vampire, Barnabas Collins, is set free and returns to his ancestral home, where his dysfunctional descendants are in need of his protection.

Up next is Tim Burton's Horror Comedy that was based on the 1960s TV series of the same name. The TV show was a bit like the '60s version of Twin Peaks - basically a skewed and off kilter version of a soap opera.
Burton approaches the subject with his usual blend of humour and cartoonish horror. Visually the film looks fantastic and it feels like the closest thing Burton has done to his early classic Beetlejuice. It doesn't quite gel together as well as that and whilst the humour is consistently witty the film's characters are not quite so well defined and the plot not quite as focused. The cast is particularly strong with Johnny Depp playing Johnny Depp with his usual panache. Eva Green continues to prove that she's one of the sexiest women alive as the antagonist and rejected love of Depp's Barnabas Collins.
This may not be Burton's best film but it is a return to form of sorts and despite being something of a box office disappointment it is really quite good fun.

+Quote this post

9 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:02 PM