BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> RESULTS | RATE: Doctor Who • Series 10, FINISHED, full results on p3!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Klaus
post 23rd July 2017, 11:07 AM
Post #1
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

The Return of Doctor Mysterio
The Pilot
Smile
Thin Ice
Knock Knock
Oxygen
Extremis
The Pyramid at the End of the World
The Lie of the Land
Empress of Mars
The Eaters of the Light
World Enough and Time
The Doctor Falls

What did Buzzjack think of the 12th Doctor's adventures with Bill, Nardole and... Missy?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 23rd July 2017, 11:30 AM
Post #2
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639
Knock Knock and Eaters o Light to be last. Both nensensical, but the latter literally made 0 but I mean 0 sense. Bizarre and an insult to our intelligence.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 23rd July 2017, 11:39 AM
Post #3
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
13. THE RETURN OF DOCTOR MYSTERO

Average: 5.00
Highest: 9 (DalekTurret), 7.5 (Slick)
Lowest: 2 (Klaus), 1 (Burbe), 0 (Michael)

In last place is the 2016 Christmas Special, which marked the end of the longest period without a single new Doctor Who episode since the series returned in 2005. It therefore makes it a shame that it was one of the weakest episodes the series has seen. Inspired by the current superhero takeover but paying homage to the 70s Superman era, the episode saw The Doctor accidentally give a little boy, Grant, superpowers. It then fast forwards in time as we reach the modern day with the Doctor, with his new companion Nardole (first introduced in the previous episode, The Husbands of River Song) investigating a large company named Harmony Shoals in New York. They encounter a journalist, Lucy Fletcher, who is also looking into the company. They discover that the company is being run by alien brains and are rescued from Dr Sims by a superhero name The Ghost. The Ghost is of course the little boy that the Doctor encountered at the start of the episode. We discover that Grant/The Ghost s Lucy's nanny. The Doctor reveals that the alien brains are attempting to colonise Earth and he boards an alien ship, discovering that Dr Sims intends to drop the ship's reactor on New York, vaporising the city except for the Harmony Shoals building (cos Sci-Fi). This would result in world leaders taking shelter in the company's buildings all over the world as they would believe they were under attack and the alien brains would take them over. The brains also try to take over the Ghost but he flees and returns as Grant. Grant stops the alien ship crashing into the city but reveals himself to be the Ghost to Lucy. The Ghost gets the girl and UNIT shut down Harmony Shoals but Dr Sims' alien brain escapes...

The reason why I'm not keen on this episode is that I just find it so dull! The whole superhero aspect is a massive gimmick and it doesn't fit well with the basis of the show. The threat is completely sidelined as the episode just wants to focus on the superhero and recreating the 70s era of Superman. The fact that I find both of the main supporting characters dull doesn't help that the episode is so focused on them too. I didn't even know what the enemies really were/their plans until I wrote up that summary!! I'm glad it was just a Christmas episode and it didn't set the tone for the rest of the series.

Your comments:

Joseph: 've not seen this since Christmas so I'm a little bit vague on it by this point but it was good Christmas fun, if not entirely essential. The alien threat was cool and I'm actually surprised now that we didn't see them again in series 10, I think I might've preferred them over the monks? It certainly felt like it was setting up the series ahead anyway. I enjoyed Nardole, and the supporting cast were good but the superhero and alien threat parts were entirely separate for most of the episode. Fun for Christmas but not hugely essential.

HarryEzra: This is my least favourite because while it is fun it didn't excite me as a plot. The supporting cast wasn't great if I am honest too. I however, like the baddies and would like them to feature again. Seemed rather filler on the whole.

Spinning Adam: Just seemed too much like a superhero episode than a Doctor Who sci-fi episode tbh (although I still like superhero shows!)

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 23rd July 2017, 11:58 AM
Post #4
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
12. THE EATERS OF LIGHT

Average: 6.09
Highest: 9 (PetefromLeeds, Spinning Adam), 8 (JosephStyles)
Lowest: 4 (Burbe) 0 (Michael)

The lowest of actual Series 10 is the 10th episode 'The Eaters of Light'. The episode is special for the fact that it is written by Rona Munro, who wrote the last ever story for classicWho, marking her as the only writer to write for both eras of the show. The episode sees The Doctor, Bill and Nardole arrive in 2nd century Scotland as they disagree over the fate of the Ninth Legion of the Imperial Roman Army. Bill sets out to find them, whilst The Doctor and Nardole go to find their dead bodies. Bill falls down a hole and finds the soldiers hiding underground from a Light Eating Locust. Meanwhile, the Doctor and Nardole discover the corpses of the remaining members of the Legio. The find a Pict tribe guarding a portal of creatures feeding off a light source. The Doctor investigates this for a few seconds but comes out to find two days have passed. Kar, the leader of the tribe, reveals she let an Eater of Light out of the portal to help them fight the Roman army. The Doctor reveals that if they don't get the creature back in the portal, the rest will escape and consumer the Sun and other stars. Bill (with the legion) reunites with the Doctor and Nardole and the legion and the tribe come together to trap the Eater of Light. Kar and the Ninth Legin sacrifice themselves to stay within the portal and trap the creatures. Monumental stones are placed in their memory and its revealed that crows are remembering Kar...

This was very much a middle of the road episode, or a filler episode, it wasn't the best but it wasn't BAD so to speak. It was nice for the show to explore the past without it having to be a landmark, famous historical event. However, the plot was a little dry as it was another faceless monster that was just there to make the episode me more 'Doctor Who'. The real heart of the episode was the supporting cast and knowing more about the Legion and the tribe. Those parts were done well, which helped the episode imo, but overall, it wasn't the most memorable or exciting episode. Having watched the writer's previous story 'Survival', I much prefer that to this episode.

Your comments:

Joseph: Pretty enjoyable, and for once I actually thought the supporting characters were rather well developed (although still not quite on the level of many RTD era characters). The creature seemed pretty interesting although it didn't really get used to its full abilities, especially as it was said to be able to devour the entire world or whatever. An interesting concept and an enjoyable episode but

HarryEzra: Again a weak villain but nice character moment from Bill where she came out to the Romans and they were surprisingly okay with it. The scene with Missy at the end pretty much saved it.

Michael: TRASHHHHHHH

Spinning Adam: This could be pretty much a 10 but I've given out four of them already and want them to be ranked higher kink.gif loved the CGI of the creatures and the whole "three sided" conflict with the humans and how they had to work together. The ending (showing they've been on top form this series tongue.gif ) was also well played and I loved seeing how adamant she was in guarding the gate which the Doc was very against! The thing about the crows talking until a couple of thousand years ago was hilarious

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 23rd July 2017, 12:01 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
The episode made no sense.

It made things DARKER (somehow, magic lolz), and was defeated by SUNLIGHT but woulf somehow EAT light and EAT a sun?? If it cannot handle a focused single BEAM of light from 1 AU away, it is not goin anywhere near a sun. Also, a whole army of them can be contained by a few romans lmao.

It makes no sense. No biological creature can withstand the sun/ make things darker/ eat light through any method other than photosynthesis. The plot was garbage, all over the place, nothing made sense, and it was soooo boooriiing.

This post has been edited by MoistSummerFruit: 23rd July 2017, 12:05 PM

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 23rd July 2017, 12:02 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
Oh my GOD I thought The Husbands of River Song was the Xmas episode last year!!

I literally slept through that superhero one. Really bad.

Add my 0 to the average of it please.

This post has been edited by MoistSummerFruit: 23rd July 2017, 12:02 PM

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 23rd July 2017, 12:27 PM
Post #7
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
11. EMPRESS OF MARS

Average: 6.68
Highest: 10 (Spinning Adam), 9 (JosephStyles)
Lowest: 5 (dandy*, Klaus) 3 (Michael)

Empress of Mars marked the return of the Ice Warriors (their first appearance since Series 7's Cold War) and the 9th (and possibly final) episode by Mark Gatiss. The pre-titles shows NASA discovering the words 'God Save the Queen' buried under the Mars ice cap. The Doctor, Bill and Nardole therefore venture to Mars in 1881, Bill falls down a hole and discovers the planet is occupied by Victorian soldiers (?????). Nardole goes back to the TARDIS but it returns to the present day and he has to ask Missy to help get him back. The soldiers have an Ice Warrior named Friday, who they discovered in Africa and helped them travel to Mars using his species' technology. They unearth the tomb of the Ice Empress, Iraxxa, and one guard accidentally revives her. After listening to Bill's opinion, Iraxxa is going to show mercy until a soldier fires his rifle at her. She kills him and the solders escape, trapping the Iraxxa and Friday in the tomb. Iraxxa starts reviving the Ice Warriors in the tomb. The Ice Warriors launch their attack and a soldier manages to hold Iraxxa at knifepoint, attempting to force her to pilot the spaceship back to Earth. The Colonel kills the soldier and begs Iraxxa to kill him. Iraxxa calls off the attack if the Colonel pledges himself to the Ice Warriors. Alpha Centauri is called in to assist the Ice Warriors. The TARDIS returns as piloted by Missy.

So, writing that summary, made me realise HOW the Victorian soldiers got to Mars (must have missed that when watching) but I still find the whole premise ridiculous and basically a self-interest project for Mark Gatiss. How are they able to survive up there? Why did they go up there in the first place? What is their purpose? That aspect spoils the episode for me as I do like the Ice Warriors, and they were once again visually impressive in this episode. I particularly liked their new way of killing, it was a fun additional aspect. My other main qualm with the episode is that it starts off too slow so the actual confrontation between the soldiers and the Ice Warriors is a bit limp. I wish there had been more focus on the Ice Warriors rather than the soldiers. It might be better to give them a two-parter if they return again. There were still enjoyable elements to gain from the episode though, and I loved seeing the return of Alpha Centuri <3

Your comments:

Joseph: A pretty standard episode but it was very much welcomed after the Monks trilogy. I enjoyed the return of the Ice Warriors and felt they were utilised better here than in Cold War. Wasn't so keen on Nardole being written out so quickly although I guess he wasn't due to star in this at all initially so it does make sense. The cameo from Alpha Centauri was a fantastic little addition and the geek in me very much enjoyed that kink.gif What I didn't like was the idea of the humans being from Victorian times - it felt incredibly unrealistic and whilst Doctor Who always requires a suspension of belief, this felt like a step too far. Nevertheless, a solid episode.

HarryEzra: Equally my weakest of the proper series along with the next one.I didn't warm to the Ice Warriors that much If I am honest just never invested in this episode as I would usually. The Ice Warriors felt more like CBBC Sarah Jane Adventures type of villains to me. I loved the cameo from Alpha Centauri at the end too.

Spinning Adam: I'm so happy that the Ice Warriors had a full modern episode for them. It was very much like the Silurian episodes too with how the humans reacted to the warriors and vice versa. And I loved how they made peace with each other and both races showed their compassion, which I didn't think would happen after seeing quite a few shots taken to the warriors. Not to mention Victorians being so out of place (which the show has done before a few times and always works out great). Brilliant!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 23rd July 2017, 12:39 PM
Post #8
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530
Empress of Mars deserved better I think! Can't complain at the other two being so low though.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 23rd July 2017, 01:01 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
Knock Knock NEEDS to be next.

+Quote this post
Botchia
post 23rd July 2017, 07:35 PM
Post #10
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753
Well that's the perfect order so far ohmy.gif Let's hope it stays that way (i.e. Knock Knock to be next pls).

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 23rd July 2017, 07:43 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
Some contrarians on hurr pretended to like Knock Knock though so it might not be :/

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post 24th July 2017, 12:07 AM
Post #12
Group icon
Former iconic poster with no consistent posting style
Pronouns: Don't take em seriously tbh
User: 21,005
QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Jul 23 2017, 01:39 PM) *
Empress of Mars deserved better I think! Can't complain at the other two being so low though.
Definitely cry.gif I'd defend Eaters of Light as well but thinking about it the storyline wasn't all that exciting other than the aspects I highlighted in my comments.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 24th July 2017, 10:14 AM
Post #13
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
10. KNOCK KNOCK

Average: 6.91
Highest: 10 (HarryEzra, dalekturret, PeteFromLeeds)
Lowest: 5 (Chez Wombat) 0 (Michael)

'Knock Knock' saw the show come back to present day Earth as Bill is looking to rent a house with five students. After coming across difficulty finding a house (to the tunes of Little Mix), they take an offer by the Landlord for a large mansion. The Doctor helps Bill to move in and becomes suspicious of the Landlord. Night falls, knocking noises grow and the exits from the house are sealed tight. Bill and Shireen see one of their friends half-absorbed into the wall. The Landlord appears and causes him to disappear completely. The Doctor discovers the house is infested with Dryads, they draw others into the woodwork before consuming them. In the meantime, all the other students are consumed by the Dryads. The Landlord admits that he needs the Dryads to keep his daughter Eliza alive. The Doctor and Bill reunite and find Eliza, who is made entirely out of wood. They discover that the Landlord is actually Eliza's son. As a boy, he had brought his terminally-ill mother some Dryads he had found, who awoke and turned Eliza into wood to stave off her illness. Eliza is upset when she finds out the truth, takes the Landlord into a hug and controls the Dryads to consume them, as well as reviving all of Bill's friends.

This is an episode that felt like it had a lot of hype around it, having been written by a successful writer as well as starring David Suchet. The premise of a haunted house will always be good and that is the aspect that I really enjoyed in the episode. The sound effects really helped to create a creepy setting and the special effects were also really good. The shot of Pavel stuck in the wall looked so good and I thought Eliza looked fantastic! The main problem with the episode is the ending though. It all suddenly becomes very rushed and exposition heavy and takes away what we had already seen in the episode before. Having all the students magically reappear was also a very easy get-out clause. Its a shame because, as with Hide before it, there was a lot of potential there but it was just damaged by a dodgy ending.

Your comments:

Joseph: An episode that promised so much and started off so well but tailed off a bit at the end! sad.gif The haunted house concept was great, and the supporting cast, while not spectacular, seemed to be good fits for the episode at least. The bugs could've been a little bit more interesting but while David Suchet was superb, his character and his stone daughter wasn't quite the reveal I wanted. Once again, not bad by any means, but not quite as good as I'd hoped.

HarryEzra: I personally loved this episode. I loved the supporting cast and wish they were shown again as they were friends of Bill. The house is creepy and the main villain is just as creepy. The ending wasnt as exciting as I thought but was a nice change to see people get saved rather than die. So contrast to the last episode.

Michael: TRASHHHHH

Spinning Adam: I did like the mysteriousness of this one.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 24th July 2017, 02:03 PM
Post #14
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
09. THIN ICE

Average: 7.45
Highest: 10 (PeteFromLeeds), 9 (burbe, dalekturret)
Lowest: 6 (Chez Wombat, dandy*, Spinning Adam)

After killing off Clara in Series 9, Sarah Dollard was able to take it slightly easier with Bill's first venture into Earth's past in 'Thin Ice'. The Doctor & Bill arrive in the last great Frost Fair in London in 1814. They take in all the events of the fair but the Doctor's sonic screwdriver is stolen by orphans, Spider & Kitty. They chase after Spider only to find glowing lights circling his feet from under the ice and Spider is soon pulled through the ice. Kitty reveals that the orphans have been paid to bring more people to the fair. The Doctor & Bill put on diving suits and purposely let the lights take them. The lights belong to fish and under the water is a giant sea creature ensnared by chains, who has eaten Spider and other missing people. It is later revealed that Lord Sutcliffe has used the creature to create a fortune through feeding it victims and using its waste as a powerful replacement for coal. He sends the Doctor & Bill to be eaten and rigs a bomb to cause the ice to shatter, creating other victims. The Doctor & Bill escape, with Bill & the orphans helping to clear the people off the ice and the Doctor placing the bomb on the creature's chains. This allows the creature to swim free and Sutcliffe dies in the water. The Doctor rewrites the deed to Sutcliffe's mansion so that it goes to the orphans.

My main highlight of this episode is the absolutely amazing production. It looks absolutely brilliant and it feels as though the Doctor & Bill have genuinely arrived in the Frost Fair. There are so many levels of detail and so much happening around the pair that you get a great sense of feel for the setting. It's certainly my favourite set piece of the series. The actual plot of the episode is slightly weak though as we have seen the similar basic premise before in 'The Beast Below' as well as Torchwood's 'Meat' and it meant, as is a consistent problem in Capaldi's era, we lacked an engaging monster. However, the extra embellishments of the orphans and the setting really helped to disguise this problem though. The orphans were a really great addition and the fact that one of them died was a really dark aspect and helped to show the dangers of the Doctor to Bill early on. It is a great counterpart to everyone miraculously lives in 'Knock Knock'. The other highlight of the episode is that it addresses the racism issues in a way that the series has dodged in the past (the closest being a one-off comment by Martha in 'The Shakespeare Code'). It certainly made that controversial Doctor punch all the worthwhile. Overall, the plot wasn't too exciting but the extras certainly made up for it. For once, it was greatly paced and added enough interesting elements to make it a great episode.

Your comments:

Joseph: I think this was my least favourite of the main series, which I guess is pretty good going cause I most definitely did enjoy it. I think what lets this episode down for me is that we don't get much in the way of an explanation as to what the creature is, or why it's there (unless I missed some details, I've not rewatched it yet). The threat ultimately feels a little bit weak, but once again, it's a fun episode and Peter and Pearl carry it really well, particularly when it comes to the discussion of racism in those days.

HarryEzra: This is an episode where while does have great character development from Bill i.e her empathy, shock and her all round human reactions to the death of the boy. I thought the monster and villain to be rather weak. Plus 1 for tackling racism in that day and age.

Spinning Adam: this one seemed a bit dull and I wasn't much of a fan of the plot either. I might grow on it after watching it again

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 24th July 2017, 02:09 PM
Post #15
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835
Not suprised Knock Knock is low but I personally loved it wub.gif

Thin Ice is very good too good character moments

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 24th July 2017, 02:32 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247
All my 10s dropping out near the start sad.gif

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 24th July 2017, 02:53 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
You have awful taste

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 24th July 2017, 03:00 PM
Post #18
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
I didn't really hate The Return of Doctor Mysterio, I never really take the Christmas specials very seriously like the rest of the series, so I thought for what it was, it was entertaining enough. I definitely wouldn't place it much higher than it is though.

Otherwise, these are rightful last placers, all with a lot of promise but didn't come together. Rushed, nonsensical endings being a common theme between them all.

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post 24th July 2017, 03:33 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Former iconic poster with no consistent posting style
Pronouns: Don't take em seriously tbh
User: 21,005
Both of those felt a bit mediocre for me, especially Thin Ice.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 24th July 2017, 07:21 PM
Post #20
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
08. THE LIE OF THE LAND

Average: 7.82
Highest: 10 (dalekturret, Spinning Adam), 9 (Michael)
Lowest: 7 (Chez Wombat, Klaus, PeteFromLeeds), 4.5 (dandy*)

Rather awkwardly, we start at the end of the Monk trilogy! Following the events of The Pyramid at the End of the World, the Monks are now the rulers of Earth. Despite only being present for 6 months, it is a crime for anyone to hold 'this view' as they like to state that they have been around since the dawn of time, guiding human development. The Doctor appears on the TV to help praise the Monks' guidance. Bill is one of the few humans left who has kept grounded and is aware of the truth, and she keeps control of that by imagining her dead mother. Nardole finds Bill and helps into a ship where the Doctor is held captive. They find him and the Doctor states he is cooperating willingly with the Monks and so Bill shoots him. Bill discovers this was actually a test to make sure Bill was not under the Monk's influence. The Doctor, Bill & Nardole escape the prison and the former two enter the Vault to talk to Missy. She states that the Monks maintain control by broadcasting a signal through statues of themselves which is enabled by a psychic link established by the person who gave consent. The Monks can only be defeated if that person is killed, in this case it is Bill. The Doctor, Bill & Nardole break into the Monks' pyramid in London to try and break the transmission. The controlling Monk overpowers the Doctor so Bill takes over and attempts to sacrifice herself. The strong, loving memory of Bill's mother takes over and replaces the broadcast. The Monks abandon the Earth and humanity soon have no recollection of them.

I LOVED the whole 1984-style theme to this episode, especially as it is so important/prevalent to today's society as well live in this strange era of fake news. I liked the Doctor's position at the start of the episode and how we were suddenly submerged a few months after the events of the previous episode. It allowed the viewer to gain a level of distrust around the characters and the events, helping to set up the episode. I liked that we therefore were following Bill's viewpoint as a lone survivor and her attempts to stop the mess that she had created. The build-up to Bill & Nardole trying to get to the Doctor were very well done. The whole confrontation scene was also very well done, even if it had the click-bait of the false regeneration. However, it was after that where the episode started to falter. I think it found trouble in trying to find a solution to such a major problem. It meant that ONCE AGAIN, love conquers all!! It was a bit of a cheap get-out after we'd only learnt from Missy a few minutes before that the only way out was for Bill to die. Obviously, Bill wasn't going to die, but for Bill to just be able to stop them by thinking of her mum was too easy and something we've seen hundreds of times before in the show. That leads to another problem as the Monks weren't really utilised too effectively. After two episodes of build-up, I thought we would gain some understanding about them and their purpose/intentions. Where did they come from? Why did they want to enslave Earth? How do they have the technology/power to create such an accurate computer simulation (in Extremis) and also the psychic links? None of these questions were answered and we leave the trilogy knowing nothing about the Monks. There were rumours that they may have been the Mondasian Cybermen so I thought they would be explained in the finale but obviously nothing transpired. They were a waste of what could have been the best new monster since The Silence! Perhaps because of this, I don't look back at it in the same light as the previous two parts, because it had more on its shoulders. I still commend the show for doing something different and exploring the dystopian type world we saw. Another example though of the full potential not being realised.

Your comments:

Joseph: A bit of a mess but I can't say I didn't find it pretty gripping TV. I enjoyed the general concept of the Monks taking over Earth and planting the idea that they've always been there into people's minds, but I wish we saw more of that side of things. The fake-out regeneration was a bit silly and the conclusion felt underwhelming, particularly as the Doctor said Bill would die if she tried to erase the Monks from history, but she didn't? A mixed bag, could've been executed better, but I definitely enjoyed it.

HarryEzra: This was such a good episode. I loved Bill's reaction to finding the doctor on the ship and the tense conversation that followed. I love the whole propaganda and fake news theme that follows along with the scene where soldiers tape recorder got broke so he became Immune to the doctor's change of what the fake news/lie was. My only criticism is the whole ending where Bill's love for her mom conquered all and the monk's exit fell very flat to me.

Spinning Adam: another monk episode and such a fab continuation. It reminded me of the end of S6 when the timelines were a mess after River refused to kill the Doctor. The false scenario of the Doctor regenerating was great as well, and the ending was very emotional cry.gif

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 10:02 AM