BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Are Girls Aloud "tacky"?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
JosephBoone
post Jan 15 2015, 11:16 AM
Post #1
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530
So I made a thread in The Lounge about a post I saw on another forum that was quite snobby but I thought I'd home in on one of the points in here. Read my post here

So would you consider Girls Aloud a "tacky" pop band? I personally wouldn't at all, I think they were actually quite edgy from the very start, at least for a pop band. They came about following the likes of the Spice Girls, S Club 7 and Steps, who I'm not saying were "tacky" at all but did very fun enjoyable pop for the most part. Girls Aloud's sound (of the underground heehee.gif) from the beginning was quite different to this, still pop but definitely not what was expected of them, especially as talent show winners. I think their songs continued to be quite different to other songs out there and perhaps it was quite throwaway and meaningless but at the end of the day, they weren't just any old pop band. I think they kinda paved the way for a group like The Saturdays to do well afterwards also, and a lot of what they did was critically acclaimed.

Solo wise, it's a different story really, I can understand for example calling Cheryl's music more "tacky", she makes great pop songs but I think they stand out less than Girls Aloud's tracks did.

DISCUSS. Yes, a serious thread in the GA forum, what has the world come to
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Jan 15 2015, 11:19 AM
Post #2
Group icon
User: 13,007
THEY CAN BE smile.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Jan 15 2015, 11:20 AM
Post #3
Group icon
We don't talk about that x

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Jan 15 2015, 11:23 AM
Post #4
Group icon
User: 13,007
heehee.gif But away from that, i don't think they were tacky at all. The image, especially in the first few eras, was quite ~tackychic~ i suppose but that didn't feed into the music too much. I'm not sure Spice Girls are in the same bracket as Steps/S Club 7 in terms of the "fun pop girl" group, by the way - they were very edgy too with their sounds, and i hear a lot of their style in GA's early albums ohmy.gif

I think from Tangled Up onwards, the band became anything but tacky, and dare i say this (with a group consisting of Cheryl, Nadine et al), they became a very classy act with songs like 'The Promise' and 'Call The Shots'.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Jan 15 2015, 11:26 AM
Post #5
Group icon
Oh yeah, the Spice Girls were very different to S Club/Steps, although I do think that you wouldn't have heard them do a song like Sound of the Underground (comparing to their other singles as I'm not familiar with album tracks), so perhaps a similar sound to the Spice Girls would've been more "expected" of them.

I totally agree with you about Tangled Up onwards. I think the transition kinda came about during the Sound of Girls Aloud era but was definitely most apparent in Tangled Up, which really is pop perfection I think.

+Quote this post
post Jan 15 2015, 11:35 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
Yeah, they have their tacky moments but I actually think in terms of their lyrics and production they are in fact quite edgy for a chart girl-group.

I do categorise Steps, S Club and probably the Spice Girls in the 'tacky' group, but it doesn't mean we can't still enjoy them if we don't want to.

(I actually think Chemistry has lots of those grown up moments, too)

This post has been edited by Joe.: Jan 15 2015, 11:36 AM

+Quote this post
AdamAloud
post Jan 15 2015, 11:39 AM
Post #7
Group icon
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
User: 11,955
It's the classic argument that people have over and over again isn't it, and it always comes down to personal opinion. One man's tat is another man's Parade so to speak.

Personally, when I hear the phrase 'tacky pop band', the likes of 'Fast Food Rockers and 'Cartoons' are the first to spring to my mind. 'Girls Aloud' could be cheesy, but never tacky in my opinion. Apart from 'Love Bomb' which is just shit.

+Quote this post
inyourroom
post Jan 15 2015, 12:29 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 21,272
Well, I'm a bit of a music snob and I'm here, so they can't be, can they? smile.gif

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Jan 16 2015, 12:17 AM
Post #9
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217
Basically what everyone else has said already! I wouldn't have said they were a tacky group. Perhaps the image was tacky in the early days, but that "grungy" look was quite a thing in 2003 anyway. Music wise, they were mostly always making cutting edge pop with maybe a few cheesy moments here and there, but that's pop for you! I think overall they were a class act.

+Quote this post
jakee
post Jan 16 2015, 01:12 AM
Post #10
Group icon
i thought you wore the hairpiece for style
Pronouns: ·
User: 47
it's an easy label to pin on them, xenomania has produced some of the most forward thinking, interesting pop music with them. their back catalogue is so rich and so varied and goes against convention. they were quite widely accepted in indie circles (nme gave 'out of control' 8/10) and they also got better as time went along.

+Quote this post
p a v
post Jan 16 2015, 06:38 AM
Post #11
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397
GA has always been one of the classiest girl groups out there alongside Sugababes (1.0 + 2.0) and Spice Girls (yes really) for me. None of that pussy-popping Saturdays nonsense~

+Quote this post
danG
post Jan 16 2015, 07:28 AM
Post #12
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
If Girls Aloud are tacky then I can't think of a single non-tacky girlband.

Most of their singles I wouldn't say are tacky, they have done some really good pop like Biology/Sound of the Underground

+Quote this post
Atonement
post Jan 16 2015, 10:36 AM
Post #13
Group icon
I just had to see your face to feel alive
User: 10,676
QUOTE(Conderella @ Jan 16 2015, 07:38 AM) *
GA has always been one of the classiest girl groups out there alongside Sugababes (1.0 + 2.0) and Spice Girls (yes really) for me. None of that pussy-popping Saturdays nonsense~

Honestly I feel Spice Girls is one of the most tacky girl groups ever. But maybe that's 'cause I didn't really grow up with them. And I didn't/don't like their music.

I LOVE Girls Alouds singles and their pop hooks but at times it does feel a bit impersonal. Probably because they had minimal input themselves. But who cares when you've got Tangled Up in your discography *.*

+Quote this post
p a v
post Jan 16 2015, 10:55 AM
Post #14
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397
There's one tacky girl group I'd want to put out there and it's TLC.

Atomic Kitten were also pretty classy in my eyes btw~

+Quote this post
jakee
post Jan 16 2015, 11:14 AM
Post #15
Group icon
QUOTE(Conderella @ Jan 16 2015, 10:55 AM) *

Atomic Kitten were also pretty classy in my eyes btw~

are you trolling?!!!

the pregnant dancing tops it all off *.*

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Jan 16 2015, 11:22 AM
Post #16
Group icon
I think Atomic Kitten began quite "tacky" with their first album but became quite classy following Whole Again, both Feels So Good and Ladies Night were pretty mature pop albums. Basically it all turned classy when Kerry left ph34r.gif

+Quote this post
jakee
post Jan 16 2015, 11:34 AM
Post #17
Group icon

textbook tacky joseff kink.gif

+Quote this post
Atonement
post Jan 16 2015, 12:05 PM
Post #18
Group icon
I just had to see your face to feel alive
User: 10,676
Oh my I was just reminded of 'If You Come to Me'. Please don't do that to me again.

QUOTE(Conderella @ Jan 16 2015, 11:55 AM) *

Off you go.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Jan 16 2015, 10:42 PM
Post #19
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217
Spice Girls. wub.gif

That is all. x

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Jan 16 2015, 11:02 PM
Post #20
Group icon
OK Jake I'll give you them kink.gif But as a whole, they were pretty classy after Whole Again I think, Ladies Night (the album) especially!

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:19 PM