BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> MY TOP 50 RETRO SITCOMS OF ALL TIME, Totally biased utterly personal rundown - top 10 beckons
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
DalekTurret32
post May 26 2018, 11:06 PM
Post #81
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666
(sees 27)

NO! NO! NO! WE ARE NOT WATCHING THE BLOODY GOOD LIFE!!!!!

10. Enjoyable sitcom. My fave characters have to be Sheldon, Raj and Howard's mum.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post May 27 2018, 10:26 AM
Post #82
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
QUOTE(DalekTurret32 @ May 27 2018, 12:06 AM) *
(sees 27)

NO! NO! NO! WE ARE NOT WATCHING THE BLOODY GOOD LIFE!!!!!
10. Enjoyable sitcom. My fave characters have to be Sheldon, Raj and Howard's mum.

But The Good Life is so NICE.... laugh.gif

I also like Raj, and also Sheldon's mom, Amy, Will Wheaton, Stuart smile.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 1 2018, 06:20 PM
Post #83
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
17. BOTTOM (1991-1995)

Who doesn't love a great Bottom? No, not Shakespeare, not naughtiness, but Bottom Of The Heap. The late great Rik Mayall & the equally great Ade Edmondson are basically playing older, less niche, less animated, versions of their Young Ones characters, but this time it's Richie and Eddie, a couple of unemployed flatmate losers obsessed with trying to have sex with a woman. Any woman (Richie is till a 40-year-old Virgin). Slapstick, sentiment-free, aggressive, joyful, loveable, annoying, conscienceless, manic, pitiable, and very very funny. It spawned a stageshow version during the TV run, and a movie Guest House Paradiso in 1999, and was created by the duo as a sort of logical extension of their Comedy Club routines in the early 80's The Dangerous Brothers.

Fellow "Young Ones" actor Christopher Ryan joined the cast, a mere 18 episodes were filmed over 3 series, and the stupid BBC brass turned down the fourth series someone on high just not getting the jokes. Not a man. Of the sexes, men more likely find the show very funny, because it's men as losers, it's easy to see bits of oneself in it, in a cartoon Tom & Jerry violent fashion, and it's Ade & Rik at the top of their game. It's not as innovative and game-changing as The Young Ones but it works way better as a sitcom. The Young Ones, apart from less than a handful of episodes tends to feel a bit disjointed and hit 'n' miss it's approach, not unlike Python where bits of it remain brilliant, but chunks of it are less so.

Best episode: I think the gas man taped to the ceiling...here's the lead-up

and for good measure here's a bunch of stage ad-libbing equally funny...

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 14 2018, 02:43 PM
Post #84
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
16. SOAP (1977-81)

A complete parody of US daytime soap operas, Soap was madcap, chock-full of great outrageous characters, smart and takes soap plotting to fantastical extremes, such as sex-change, gangsters, cheating politicians, gay relationships, murder and onwards through devil-child possession, alien abduction and south-american dictators. The casting was genius, not least Katherine Helmond as well-off matriarch of the richer of two main squabbling-related families The Tates & The Campbells, Jessica Tate. She was flirty, naive, genuinely funny (she later turned up in the UK Girls On Top series). Then there was Robert Guillarme as butler Benson, black, sarcastic, caustic and pretty disliked and commented on most people in the show and all their bad traits. So popular the character got his own spin-off show set in the world politics.

Billy Crystal was innovative as gay son Jody Campbell, at first stereotypically camp but settling in to become not-remotely-camp and a proper role model in a UK TV world that didn’t have any non-camp recurring characters of gay men. It also made him a huge movie star. Then there was the ventriloquist half brother who though his doll was real and had ongoing arguments with him, the doll offending everyone at ever opportunity - Chuck & Bob. Dinah Manoff & Richard Mulligan also starred in another TV sitcom sort-of-spinoff Empty Nest (also by Soap creator Susan “Golden Girls” Harris), while Dinah was one of the pink ladies in Grease to boot. The large supporting cast was equally manic and inventive throughout the 4 series, and is regularly and rightly played as one of, if not the greatest ever, ensembles ever put together.

Very daring for it’s time, and subject to outrage and criticism from some more conservative quarters, I loved the first 3 series especially, recording them on reel-to-reel tape and playing them over and over until the advent of video-recorders came along, and then DVD’s. It only played late night on various ITV regions in the UK, so it was a bit sporadic to catch and meant dedication to staying up late. Totally worth it. These days it rarely ever gets shown (BOOOOOOO!) but as the template for later styled shows like Third Rock From The Sun, The Golden Girls (the former equally manic, the latter equally wise-cracking and pop-culture-smart), not to mention animated shows like The Simpsons, Family Guy and others, it deserves the kudos it has had from Time Magazine (one of the 100 Best TV shows of all-time), The Huffington Post (“timeless”) and The Museum of Broadcast Communications "arguably one of the most creative efforts by network television before or after". It’s also bloody hilarious.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Aug 19 2018, 09:16 AM
Post #85
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
No top 15 yet, but in the meantime here's a clip from one of the greatest variety comedy sketch shows of all-time, The Carol Burnett Show. Carol was fab, and her supporting cast was awesome, Harvey Korman was more famous from Mel Brooks films, and Tim Conway who just deliberately tried to make everyone else corpse by throwing in stuff they hadn't rehearsed. Tim is more recently known for spots on Spongebob and Glee.

make sure you watch to the end, the last 3 minutes are really funny and bear in mind Tim Conway is making stuff up deliberately to make the other 3 lose it.... laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Nov 10 2018, 05:31 PM
Post #86
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
15. MARRIED WITH CHILDREN (1987-97)

The new Fox TV’s low-brow sitcom success (for Fox, very much an infant network) was anti-PC, broad innuendo and toilet humour writ large on American TV for the very first time. The British know all about that genre, though, it’s basically the format of the Carry-On movie series. When I’ve said how much I love the show, I’m more likely to get sighs of despair than I am anyone agreeing with me that it’s beautifully written, at least the early series are, and the characters are just terrific with spot-on performances from Ed O’Neill (later of Modern Family), Katey Sagal (who will appear again on this list), Christina Applegate (later of various comedy movies), and David Faustino as the Bundy family, selfish all - from shoe-salesman failure father Al, his lazy sex-staved wife Peggy, sneaky, conniving son Bud, and dumb babe daughter Kelly. Throw in the nagging Marcie (Amanda Bearse), Peg’s neighbour and friend & her 2 hubbies, and you have a show littered with unsentimental ridicule, one-liners, insults, social commentary, and any number of -ism-based comments, notably sexism.

It might sound like a no-hoper in these PC-days, and it was attcked at the time by many groups taking offense at it’s crudity and non-pc lines, but it does actually break the mould in the US where nobody had ever gone to the bathroom in over 30 years (except to have a bath), or talked about males with low sex-drives, or slagged off the neighbour for her chicken legs. The actors make it endearing, no question, it’s very much influential in attitude, at which point I refer to any Seth MacFarlane show, unafraid to make statements that might challenge, but at the same time make it plain that the Bundy’s are not NICE people, and they only reluctantly stand-up for each other when they are under attack from non-Bundy’s. The format was nicked by many networks in other countries, including the UK (ITV did a 7-episode attempt which showed how much you need a great cast, cos it was utter rubbish headed by Russ Abbot). As for me, I’m not generally offended by comedy, especially when words come out the mouths of characters not meant to be role models - that is, after all, real life, and ignoring it and pretending it doesn’t exist is just sticking your head in the sand. And the baser universal side of human existence can be smart and beautifully-written too, and worthy of taking the piss out of, or allowing it to take the piss out of pretentiousness and insincerity. It IS cruel at times though, so you have been warned!

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jan 19 2019, 05:14 PM
Post #87
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
right, I've struggled to order the top 14, so I'm going to have to go with my heart and force myself to get this done!

14. THE IT CROWD (2006-2013) 25 episodes

The first of 2 Graham Linehan-written shows in the top 20, and a wacky joy for me - great scripts, off-the-wall eccentricity, characters, a great cast (most of whom have popped up in films since), and anyone who has an IT department at work can see little nuggets of absurd recognition in some of this. Granted it's taken to extremes, but beautifully done. I particularly loved Noel Fielding as goth Richmond, banished to a mystery room and with the ability to seemingly hang from the ceiling at will, IT nerd Moss (Richard Ayoade), and the IT-illiterate Jen (nominally in charge but thinks she has the whole of the internet in a box). Throw in later seasons manic ego Matt Berry as Douglas Reynholm, and this Channel 4 gem is a wonder to watch and enjoy.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jan 19 2019, 05:30 PM
Post #88
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
13. BROOKLYN NINE-NINE (2013-2019)

One of the great ensemble US comedies of the last decade, packed with great actors and characters, minority-supporting, loveable, smart, sharp, witty, fast-paced, character-driven scripts, leading to one of the great mysteries in modern TV - why on Earth Fox cancelled it in 2018! Fox, to be fair, have consistency in cancelling the greatest sitcoms on their books, clearly not having a clue what quality is. Happily NBC picked it up, and I'm still waiting to see the result of that. The break-out character was stand-up Chelsea Peretti as Gina, though the star and backbone is comedian-actor Andy Samberg, and the creative force was Parks & Recreation creators Dan Goor & Michael Schur. The whole cast is great though!

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post Jan 20 2019, 08:40 AM
Post #89
Group icon
With Kristina in heart
User: 28,104
"Married With Children" became the popular in my country after the Russian adaptation "Happy Together". I love both versions and it's very rare sitcom which I watched and love.
The adaptation was very popular and got 365 episodes over 259, the late episodes were original.
Our version had only some minor changes in comparison with US original, main character was a soccer (instead American football) player in young age, some mentioned local American celebrities and small towns were changed on Russian.

Christina is 47 years old now. ohmy.gif

This post has been edited by Good Old Days: Jan 20 2019, 08:42 AM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jan 20 2019, 10:12 AM
Post #90
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Good Old Days @ Jan 20 2019, 08:40 AM) *
"Married With Children" became the popular in my country after the Russian adaptation "Happy Together". I love both versions and it's very rare sitcom which I watched and love.
The adaptation was very popular and got 365 episodes over 259, the late episodes were original.
Our version had only some minor changes in comparison with US original, main character was a soccer (instead American football) player in young age, some mentioned local American celebrities and small towns were changed on Russian.

Christina is 47 years old now. ohmy.gif

Thanks Alex, I didn't know that! I can't believe Christina Applegate is 47, it just seems wrong - she's still appearing in comedy movies though so I shouldn't be surprised! laugh.gif She's still fab!

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post Jan 20 2019, 12:33 PM
Post #91
Group icon
With Kristina in heart
User: 28,104
All main characters of our version on one photo.

This post has been edited by Good Old Days: Jan 20 2019, 12:39 PM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Feb 1 2019, 07:45 PM
Post #92
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
12. MALCOLM IN THE MIDDLE (2000-2006)

Stylistically borrowing heavily from the earlier Parker Lewis Can't Lose, this filmed sitcom had no studio audience and no laugh track, leaving the viewer to work out what was funny and clever and exaggerated. One of many Fox shows at the top end of my listings (much as it pains to me to admit it, Fox have made quality comedy shows, pushing the boundary away from traditional sitcoms), this was a fabulous ensemble cast, full of charm, wackiness, character, and based around a dysfunctional household of boys and an over-bearing mother and laddish father, played brilliantly by Jane Kaczmarek and the now-big-movie-star Bryan Cranston. Any show with a lot of child actors usually is a sign to turn off right away, but the boys are all played sentiment-free, much more rounded and flawed, like real kids, and wholesomeness and goody-goodness is an actual target of the family, but not in a broad Married With Children way. I especially love the supporting cast, the large, geeky Craig, co-worker of the family's mom Lois, who is infatuated with her, the grandma (Cloris Leachman as always providing OTT greats, this time a bitter, vindictive humorless ogre) and the German immigrant rancher Otto (Kenneth Mars honing the same character he played to brilliance in What's Up Doc and Young Frankenstein screwball comedy movies). Cloris Leachman was Phyllis in Mary Tyler Moore, and Phyllis her spin-off, and also was in Young Frankenstein, Mel Brook's genius pastiche of horror movies, among many films and TV shows. It's a great show.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Feb 4 2019, 04:06 PM
Post #93
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
11. THE CLEVELAND SHOW (2009-2013)

One of 3 Seth McFarlane animated sitcoms in the top 11, This Family Guy spin-off lasted 4 years before the cast was assimilated back into Family Guy (in the case of Cleveland Brown, notoriously dull friend and neighbour of Peter Griffin) and newly-added in the case of the rest of the family, Donna, Rallo, Cleveland Jr & Roberta who were all newly-created or revamped for the new location of Stoolbend. Cleveland was much wackier in his new role, and dull was dropped, and his sidekicks included Tim The Bear (voiced by Seth McFarlane) & his wife (voiced by news magnate Ariana Huffington), redneck Lester & His wife, mobile scooter-bound and overweight, Gus the barman (film director David Lynch), short-arse Holt (Jason Sudeikis) & a host of other great characters.

I was sad the show never really caught on & got prematurely cancelled (not least because they only released the first 2 seasons on DVD boo!), to me it was almost on a par with other McFarlane shows - who has since moved into movies like A Million Ways To Die In The West & Ted, and the fab new Star Trek parody comedy-drama The Orville on Fox. Yes, it's another Fox show, yes, it's often broad and crude and cruel, but it's also culturally observant, politically-commenting & socially-smart with great and silly dialogue and situations. It's also free from gooey sentiment & has a host of famous guest stars like Kanye West & Bruno Mars. Top notch.

+Quote this post
Seinfeld
post Feb 4 2019, 05:10 PM
Post #94
Group icon
Is anyone here a marine biologist?
User: 10,505
I've never found Seth MacFarlane remotely funny at all to be honest. His humour is so predictable, dull, tedious and boring.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Feb 4 2019, 05:19 PM
Post #95
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Seinfeld @ Feb 4 2019, 05:10 PM) *
I've never found Seth MacFarlane remotely funny at all to be honest. His humour is so predictable, dull, tedious and boring.

It's very marmite, and a lot of people agree with you - He did an anniversary Family Guy interviewing people who'd never watched it, tried it, and hated it. That was funny to me though! The great thing about animated sitcoms is there are no boundaries and they can get away with stuff live actors can't - it's protected by US law that cartoon parody is fine, cos it's not copyright infringement, it's freedom of speech. Sometimes they go too far, but it's certainly as edgy and cutting as US TV can get, and I like that they can even regularly target Rupert Murdoch and get away with it (apart from the times they have been cancelled and brought back due to public demand and DVD sales and lucrative network sales laugh.gif )

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Feb 12 2019, 07:48 PM
Post #96
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
10. AMERICAN DAD (2005-2019)

Another Seth McFarlane animated Fox show - albeit dropped in 2014 and picked up by TBS - starring McFarlane as a redneck CIA agent Stan Smith with a typecast homebody housewife (at least she seems to be at first, but Fran's as mad as Stan is). The nerd son Steve hangs about with his nerd friends, one of them voiced by Moonlighting's Curtis Armstrong, while Steve is voiced by Scott Grimes, currently starring alongside Seth in the fab The Orville. Last family members are left-wing protestor hippie Hailey (Rachel McFarlane, Seth keeping it in the family) and Roger the alien (also Seth), a moral-free gender-fluid selfish alien taken in by the Smiths, and who has a million disguises. Lastly there's Klaus the German fish - or rather a former spy in the body of a goldfish, still hoping to be a man again and as mad as the rest of the clan.

The mix is pretty fine for plots, social commentary, sci-fi, political, parodies, surreal (even the apocalypse end of days!) and sometimes very dark humour, and also features oodles of famous guest stars, notably the recurring role of Stan's CIA boss - Patrick "Captain Picard" Stewart sending himself up beautifully. As with other Seth shows Walter Murphy is on hand to score the show fabulously - for oldies like me he's the bloke who had a 1976 hit with A Fifth Of Beethoven, a disco classical bit of fun. Some of my fave guest stars: Alyson Hanigan, Andy Samberg, Bryan Cranston, Burt reynolds, Chris Isaak, David Boreanaz, Eartha Kitt, Ed Asner, George takei - and that's just a selection of A to G on the full list! For cult TV fans like me (and clearly the show's stars and creators) it's a paradise of riches. Some of the episodes don't always work, some of the stuff the characters do can make you feel a bit icky - but it's not real! It's got a talking walking goldfish and an alien! Still great.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Feb 16 2019, 10:36 AM
Post #97
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
9. CHEERS (1982-1993)

Great theme tune, heartwarming song and concept, that you can get a "family", friends & romance by going out and drinking alcohol regularly - not sure about the last bit, but it certainly can help joining a club! Anyway, classy show which took time to become a huge hit, great writing, great cast (Shelley Long, Ted Danson, Woody Harrelson, Kelsey Grammer, Bebe Neuwirth, Kirstie Alley, and many more who have appeared in things Star Trek, Star Wars, Pixar). Frasier was the spin-off success which is making a comeback soon, and while individual episodes were variable in belly-laughs, they tended to revolve around the Sam/Diane verbal sparring - he a former baseball star now running a bar, she a pretentious intellectual having to work as a barmaid - and their ongoing love/hate relationship. When Shelley Long left the show, Kirstie Alley brought in a new dynamic as hot-desperate-loser and corporate ownership of the bar as an extra. Still very watchable and the first of 2 American 80's shows in the top 10.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Feb 16 2019, 11:07 AM
Post #98
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
8. BLACKADDER (1983-89)

Covering all 4 series & specials of the decade, this show falls only behind the over-rated Only Fools & Horses in polls to find the best comedy series of all-time in the UK, I would place it either 2nd or first in terms of UK series - today it's second, but a year from now it might be top again, depends on how I'm feeling on the day. Richard Curtis, Rowan Atkinson & Ben Elton staked a unique premise - the same characters in different time-periods and different roles, which gave great opportunity to comment on themselves, the time-period, and contemporary society - this is currently being used again in Ben Elton's great Upstart Crow series, a show that would definitely be included in my list of faves if I were to start from scratch today. The dialogue is sharp & witty & biting, the acting (or rather the cartoon over-acting) is fab, and the cast top-notch, the best of the 80's pop up along the way, not least Rowan Atkinson & Tony Robinson as the conniving Blackadder & his put-upon dumb servant Baldrick, the core of each show. My fave series was Blackadder II in the Elizabethan period with Miranda Richardson, Stephen Fry & a host of memorable guest spots from the likes of Rik Mayall & Tom Baker. The final scene of the final World War 1 episode (let's just forget that Millennium Dome special) was as heart-breaking a moment as you can get in cartoon whimsy. Unlike most short-run series (just 24 episodes) I've never got bored with these 24 (plus specials).

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Feb 16 2019, 02:14 PM
Post #99
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
7. THIRD ROCK FROM THE SUN (1996-2001)

Manic, slapstick, quirky, this endearingly mad sitcom was broad in it's humour, but followed the tradition of The Addams Family & Mork & Mindy in having central other-worldly characters able to shine a light on the quirks of the society they find themselves in - in this case 4 aliens are assigned a mission to observe culture from the point of view humans, and they masquerade as a family (The Solomons) led by the brilliant John Lithgow, a great actor who is in overdrive here, as Dick, the father, future movie-star Joseph Gordon-Levitt as the son Tommy (the oldest, wisest of the 4 aliens), Kristen Johnson as Sally, her militaristic alien having to cope with changing sex to a leggy female hot blonde, and Harry (French Stewart) as the sender of their messages to home through his seemingly-quite-damaged brain. The fab Jane Curtin (of sitcom Kate 'n' Allie, and Saturday Night Live 70's fame) plays Dick's co-Professor love interest, and Seinfeld's Wayne Knight (also of Jurassic Park) plays a loveable tubby Police Officer with a crush on blunt Sally.

The humour comes from the antics of the aliens misunderstanding social niceties, having a ball let loose with all the nicer things in life, and yet still having anxieties about the bosses coming (William Shatner doing OTT fabulously, as The Big Giant Head, & John Cleese, trying to steal Mary away from Dick, being an extreme version of John Cleese). The cast were regulalrly rewarded with performance nominations, but the writing and show were never that highly-regarded, probably because it appeals to kids with it's slapstick, manic broadness. I love it though, sometimes character, plot and acting is more than enough to be funny.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Feb 16 2019, 02:51 PM
Post #100
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
6. M*A*S*H (1972-83)

One of the most unlikely premises for a sitcom ever, never mind one that hit high ratings for a decade, the show was essentially a spin-off of the 1970 movie of the same title which was a dark comedy cult success. Set in the early 50's Korean War, the show ran 3 times longer than the war did, but what it really was a political and socially liberal criticism of the Viet-Nam war, which had been running for 7 years by this time as the US plunged into the Watergate crisis along with the realisation that they can actually lose wars. So how did it work? There was a Marx Brothers disrespectfulness of stupid authority (later borrowed by Blackadder), lead Alan Alda (who had been in the Phil Silvers Show back in the 50's) was even showed as a Groucho Marx fan, but this was tempered with the realisation that these 2 surgeons (drafted into military service to work in the Mobile Army Surgical Hospital) were entirely brilliant at their job - saving lives of young injured men. Co-star Wayne Rogers was a good foil for lead Hawkeye Pierce, as they weaved amongst a great cast of characters and actors (Loretta Swit, Head Nurse Hotlips Houlihan, who played it by the military book but wasnt above dalliances with prestigious military officers, or her weasel regular Frank Burns, a not-great surgeon with right-wing selfish views, and the butt of many a prank and caustic comment - played comically by Larry Linville).

One of the strengths of the show was the coming and going of cast members and characters: clumsy well-meaning Commnder Henry Blake was actually memorably and tearfully killed off when actor McLean Stevenson left, and was replaced by the great Dragnet-actor, and sitcom veteran Harry Morgan. A one-off character, Cpl KIlnger (Jamie Farr), dressed in drag to get a discharge from the army on mental grounds, became a huge fave and cast regular as his outfits got ever-more extravagant (no-one explained where he got the cash!) and his antics ever-more extreme to get that never-acquired discharged. The madness of living with war & death was the theme, and the show swung from black humour, farce to stark reality, commenting on the inhumanity of man to others. The show ran with the then-traditional laugh-track (against the producers, cast & writers wishes) in the States, except during the surgery scenes, but in the UK from day one there was no laugh track. This was a major plus in the critical acclaim of the show, leaving you to decide what was funny. I used to watch re-runs in the USA with the laugh track and it cheapens the impact quite considerably, the themes were too important for tackiness. Eventually some of the cast moved on to a spin-off, after Alda decided he'd had enough - by that time his power and influence over the show had moved it too much into maudlin self-righteousness at the expense of the darker edge that the early years had in spades - and the War ended in the most-watched final TV episode of all-time in the States. With 106 million, and viewing figures now split amongst online media, that will easily remain the biggest none-sporting or event moment of all-time. Biggest Ever TV episode of any show.

+Quote this post

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:09 AM