BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The Voice Kids - Melanie C new judge
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
JosephBoone
post 8th February 2021, 03:23 PM
Post #21
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

I love that Melanie's doing this! I've only seen bits of the show but it generally rates rather decently and the worst case scenario is that it gains some goodwill for Melanie. Nothing bad can come of this so I'm quite surprised by the negative responses here - fair enough if it doesn't interest you but nobody's forcing you to watch! heehee.gif

I've found the show to be a really sweet watch before, it's all very positive and even the kids who don't get a turn get feedback from the coaches (which doesn't happen on the adult version). I'd say the kids are more likely to know who Melanie is (or at least, who the Spice Girls are) than Pixie Lott these days too! kink.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
vibe
post 8th February 2021, 03:31 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

Theres only one continuous negative nancy and all they do is whinge.

Its so tiresome and really brings the mood of this forum down.

Being on prime tv , getting the chance to perform and mentor !! How dares she take part 👀

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 8th February 2021, 04:30 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988

But we say this every time about these shows 'it can't hurt' or 'it could open X person up to a new audience' and so on.

Mel B was on the biggest tv talent show there is and her single still did nothing.

At some point you have to stop burying your head in the sand and realise these are just money jobs that real artists or artists in their prime won't touch, especially in 2021.

Pixie Lott, the bloke from McFly and Will.I. am (when was his last hit?) are the other 3 judges. I mean great if you want to see Melanie play a part be a bit fake and nice on TV for a few weeks but other than that it's not exciting or interesting.

When things are said and done and we are all old, no one is going to sit and think ah thank God Melanie did the voice kids. They might be sat there listening to a Spice Girls 4th album, reminiscing on Spice Girls tour of Australia or their favourite solo album.

If this announcement had been say Heidi from the Sugababes not Melanie C would you care? That's how non Mel C/Spice girls fans will feel about this.

At the end of the day you can be as positive as you like but it won't change anything.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 8th February 2021, 04:41 PM
Post #24
Group icon

I'm not claiming that Melanie's gonna get a hit single out of this show and I'm well aware of the type of artists a Voice Kids judging role attracts, but I don't really see anything bad about this either? What's the worst that could happen? Nobody has to care massively about it but at the very least it'll bring her some goodwill from a younger audience who might not know the individual Spice Girl members.

If the announcement had been Heidi, I'd care less because I don't think Heidi's anywhere near as interesting a personality laugh.gif You could say that about anything or anyone - "if it's someone you didn't like, you wouldn't care." Well, of course! That's the same for literally any judge on any panel.

There's also nobody claiming it's going to be the most important thing in her legacy, but it's also not going to bring any damage. At the worst of it, it's a paycheque for her and a little bit of publicity. I don't think there's any point in comparing it to creating new Spice music - I'm sure she'd be doing that if she / the other girls were all up for it - or touring, which is obviously not feasible right now.

At the very least, I might tune in for the first episode and if I enjoy it I'll stick with it, just because I think Melanie's brilliant and it'll be great to see her judging a talent show in 2021.

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 8th February 2021, 04:58 PM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Feb 8 2021, 04:41 PM) *
I'm not claiming that Melanie's gonna get a hit single out of this show and I'm well aware of the type of artists a Voice Kids judging role attracts, but I don't really see anything bad about this either? What's the worst that could happen? Nobody has to care massively about it but at the very least it'll bring her some goodwill from a younger audience who might not know the individual Spice Girl members.

If the announcement had been Heidi, I'd care less because I don't think Heidi's anywhere near as interesting a personality laugh.gif You could say that about anything or anyone - "if it's someone you didn't like, you wouldn't care." Well, of course! That's the same for literally any judge on any panel.

There's also nobody claiming it's going to be the most important thing in her legacy, but it's also not going to bring any damage. At the worst of it, it's a paycheque for her and a little bit of publicity. I don't think there's any point in comparing it to creating new Spice music - I'm sure she'd be doing that if she / the other girls were all up for it - or touring, which is obviously not feasible right now.

At the very least, I might tune in for the first episode and if I enjoy it I'll stick with it, just because I think Melanie's brilliant and it'll be great to see her judging a talent show in 2021.

The bad from my perspective is these easy money jobs just get in the way of something more artistic or worthwhile.

I don't want Melanie C to be the next Alesha Dixon or Pixie Lott. I didn't fall in love with the Spice Girls or their solo music to watch them judge tv talent shows.

Rainbow woman, nappies/radio, Masked singer, the voice kids it's all so far away from what I want from them. I'm not going to try and pretend this is why I love/d them or that if it was anyone else I'd care.

That's my opinion, I respect yours we are welcome to disagree and that's why we have a forum. I hope others enjoy it but I know I'm not going to get anything from it and I come here to express my opinion/feelings on that

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 8th February 2021, 06:39 PM
Post #26
Group icon

QUOTE(sammy01 @ Feb 8 2021, 04:58 PM) *
The bad from my perspective is these easy money jobs just get in the way of something more artistic or worthwhile.

I don't want Melanie C to be the next Alesha Dixon or Pixie Lott. I didn't fall in love with the Spice Girls or their solo music to watch them judge tv talent shows.

Rainbow woman, nappies/radio, Masked singer, the voice kids it's all so far away from what I want from them. I'm not going to try and pretend this is why I love/d them or that if it was anyone else I'd care.

That's my opinion, I respect yours we are welcome to disagree and that's why we have a forum. I hope others enjoy it but I know I'm not going to get anything from it and I come here to express my opinion/feelings on that

Absolutely, we're all welcome to express our opinions of course!

I think, and I know I've not followed Melanie's career as closely as many of you guys, but from what I've seen, Melanie's not the kind of person who says yes to something just for the sake of it. Her entire solo career seems led by her own creativity or she'd have given up the ghost many years back. I suspect she could easily have turned this down if she wanted to, so I suspect something more artistic isn't what she's wanting right now (particularly in this limbo period between album and tour).

Besides, this will only take up a couple of months of her year really, there's still plenty of time if she wanted to work on new music, or plan something with the other girls, plus her tour rehearsals of course!

Definitely not trying to force you to care but I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who cares about every single thing their favourite artists do. Girls Aloud are my equivalent really and I couldn't care less about half of their activities (though none of them are as driven as Melanie C when it comes to solo music).

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 8th February 2021, 07:08 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

QUOTE(sammy01 @ Feb 8 2021, 04:58 PM) *

This.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 8th February 2021, 07:31 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

QUOTE(sammy01 @ Feb 8 2021, 12:15 PM) *
It is airing Nov/Dec her tour is Jan/Feb. My point was one or the other might have influenced the other. Either Melanie thought perfect the press when it airs might help sell tickets to the tour or booked the voice and knows it's airing end of the year so having her tour directly after seemed logical to take advantage.

Melanie has spoken out on being very keen to release more music ASAP so perhaps she is planning a new album in November and will use the show to help promote it. A performance slot would be wonderful.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 8th February 2021, 07:36 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(sammy01 @ Feb 8 2021, 01:51 PM) *
Chris confirmed it's filming Feb/March. I think this is just opportunistic for Melanie. She has been left with a big hole in her calendar with the tour being cancelled (and obviously the rehearsal time before too) and this slots in nicely and coincides nicely with her tour being the month after it airs.

I still hate projects like this by any of the girls, they really don't do anything for their careers bar earn them money.

The voice kids
Nappies
Rainbow woman
The Masked singer

I don't follow ABBA closely but I don't see their band members doing low brow stuff like that. I feel like it almost cheapens the brand and band too.

laugh.gif Spice Girls are not in ABBA’s league at all. Look at someone like Destiny’s Child Kelly Rowland does crap like this...

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 8th February 2021, 07:47 PM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Feb 8 2021, 06:39 PM) *
Absolutely, we're all welcome to express our opinions of course!

I think, and I know I've not followed Melanie's career as closely as many of you guys, but from what I've seen, Melanie's not the kind of person who says yes to something just for the sake of it. Her entire solo career seems led by her own creativity or she'd have given up the ghost many years back. I suspect she could easily have turned this down if she wanted to, so I suspect something more artistic isn't what she's wanting right now (particularly in this limbo period between album and tour).

Besides, this will only take up a couple of months of her year really, there's still plenty of time if she wanted to work on new music, or plan something with the other girls, plus her tour rehearsals of course!

Definitely not trying to force you to care but I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who cares about every single thing their favourite artists do. Girls Aloud are my equivalent really and I couldn't care less about half of their activities (though none of them are as driven as Melanie C when it comes to solo music).

You obviously never watched any Asia Got Talent, Melanie hated every minute of it it was palpable.

The thing is Melanie C's best album or at least most creative for a long time came after the Spice Girls tour. To me it's absolutely no coincidence that it refreshed her as a solo artist. She was around creative people, saw how being a more fun pop artist wasn't to be ashamed of.

Or that Emma Bunton's first solo gig came after the tour. They had tasted proper success again, creativity, having fun. Both carried it on into their next project.

I think radio, TV judging, nappies and all just dulls the creativity. Slips them back into a mind frame of easy projects are easy money. It's very easy to see why, Melanie C does voice kids gets £100k and it's a doddle. Melanie does a new album, puts her heart and soul into it and loses money.

I wanna spend my money on them, I want more Baby please don't stops, Who I am or Royal Albert Hall gigs. I feel every job like this just leads them further away from that.

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 8th February 2021, 07:50 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(spiceboy @ Feb 8 2021, 07:36 PM) *
laugh.gif Spice Girls are not in ABBA’s league at all. Look at someone like Destiny’s Child Kelly Rowland does crap like this...

They absolutely could be though, I think that's where the frustration leads from.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 8th February 2021, 08:05 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(sammy01 @ Feb 8 2021, 07:50 PM) *
They absolutely could be though, I think that's where the frustration leads from.

They could have been had they committed to the group properly way back when. Geri pissing off after 2 years and then the other four doing the half assed Forever era they were always going to be seen as a flash in the pan. Iconic yes, legendary to some extent but not with the real commitment behind it. Bands in ABBA’s league like Rolling Stones, Queen, The Beatles were together for 10 years plus and released countless albums. If anything Spice Girls are more like Wham. It’s amazing the legacy they have built though with only 12 singles and 4 albums. In the USA they only actually released 9 singles not even double figures!

+Quote this post
schizo_spice
post 8th February 2021, 08:11 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,574

Spice Girls don't have a big enough catalogue to compete with ABBA let's be honest. Do they need to be in the same league? Nope the Spice Girls have their own legacy and impact in a short explosive way that has stood the test of time.

I dont think solo stuff cheapens the Spice brand either, I see the group and solo as two completely separate entities.

+Quote this post
schizo_spice
post 8th February 2021, 08:17 PM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,574

QUOTE(spiceboy @ Feb 8 2021, 08:05 PM) *
They could have been had they committed to the group properly way back when. Geri pissing off after 2 years and then the other four doing the half assed Forever era they were always going to be seen as a flash in the pan. Iconic yes, legendary to some extent but not with the real commitment behind it. Bands in ABBA’s league like Rolling Stones, Queen, The Beatles were together for 10 years plus and released countless albums. If anything Spice Girls are more like Wham. It’s amazing the legacy they have built though with only 12 singles and 4 albums. In the USA they only actually released 9 singles not even double figures!

I dont judge Geri for leaving when she did, she did what she had to do for her mental health at the time and that was more important than releasing albums.

The girls got so big so fast and didn't get the space from each other they needed to have longevity.

The flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long and you have burned so very brightly.

This post has been edited by schizo_spice: 8th February 2021, 08:17 PM

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 8th February 2021, 08:23 PM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(spiceboy @ Feb 8 2021, 08:05 PM) *

I agree but I think they are still young enough to change that. The Olympics and SW19 definitely added to the legacy and both made them seem more legendary. I think 1 more studio album, a proper world tour and Glastonbury would put them up with those bands you mentioned.

It's frustrating as its committing 1 year to it basically, 1 year to smash the record for a girl group tour, to add to their discography and be the first girl group to headline Glastonbury.

Honestly if Little Mix end up playing Glastonbury before the Spice Girls I'll individually slap all 5 girls.

+Quote this post
tommie
post 9th February 2021, 05:39 AM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

Eh, I think it's obvious that if Melanie was just doing music for money, she would've just retired her solo career 15 years ago and sat on her ass collecting Spice Girls residuals.

Like it or not, she still needs to fund her solo ventures as I'm sure she doesn't like to just spend her life savings on releasing music. This both gives her a paycheck and decent exposure as she'll appear in the press leading up to her tour in 2022. It also doesn't sound like a huge commitment as most will be pre-recorded with a live finale at a later date.

Also, by all accounts, it's not Mel C that's (currently) the ones putting stop to new Spice Girls music.

This post has been edited by tommie: 9th February 2021, 05:41 AM

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 9th February 2021, 01:51 PM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(tommie @ Feb 9 2021, 05:39 AM) *
Eh, I think it's obvious that if Melanie was just doing music for money, she would've just retired her solo career 15 years ago and sat on her ass collecting Spice Girls residuals.

Like it or not, she still needs to fund her solo ventures as I'm sure she doesn't like to just spend her life savings on releasing music. This both gives her a paycheck and decent exposure as she'll appear in the press leading up to her tour in 2022. It also doesn't sound like a huge commitment as most will be pre-recorded with a live finale at a later date.

Also, by all accounts, it's not Mel C that's (currently) the ones putting stop to new Spice Girls music.

By all accounts? All of them have said that they are up for it, the only one that mentioned in which context was Melanie C and she said that in the right context (i.e. for a Bond sountrack for instance) she would do it. BUT for a full new album and era? Im not sure she is quite there yet...

Maybe they could spend some time in the studio this year once restrictions allow and see what happens, since she wont now be touring until next year and the group itself will be a bit more together...

+Quote this post
Chemistry
post 11th February 2021, 05:36 AM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 106,588

I am getting so incredibly tired of fans saying 'they should do this, or they should do that'. I mean, ofcourse it comes from a good place and we would like certain things, but at the end of the day, it's a bunch of men telling five women what they should be doing with their careers and lives which is quite problematic. Mel, and the other four, can do whatever they want. They don't owe any fan anything. I'm also not interested in nappies, Voice Kids or Rainbow Woman, but if this is what they want to do, then it's their choice and not ours. If they never do anything Spice related, then so be it. It's their career, their lives and their legacy.

+Quote this post
vibe
post 11th February 2021, 09:19 AM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

^ thank you this is what i am saying !

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 11th February 2021, 09:39 AM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Chemistry @ Feb 11 2021, 05:36 AM) *
I am getting so incredibly tired of fans saying 'they should do this, or they should do that'. I mean, ofcourse it comes from a good place and we would like certain things, but at the end of the day, it's a bunch of men telling five women what they should be doing with their careers and lives which is quite problematic. Mel, and the other four, can do whatever they want. They don't owe any fan anything. I'm also not interested in nappies, Voice Kids or Rainbow Woman, but if this is what they want to do, then it's their choice and not ours. If they never do anything Spice related, then so be it. It's their career, their lives and their legacy.

This conversation again?... rolleyes.gif

Who said otherwise? Of course it is their life/career/money and they can and should do whatever they want.

We, as fans, don't have to support everything they do though blink.gif I'm here for the music and the performances. Not here for the nappies, reality TV competitions or children's books, that's all. If they want to do it, so be it, but I dont have to support it.

I can and will analyse how much investment I give them as a fan depending on what they do, that doesnt mean I am being sexist?!?!

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 09:56 AM