BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> I need details about Victoria & Geri’s relationship
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
SpicyVee
post 10th April 2022, 01:47 AM
Post #1
Group icon
New Entry
User: 149,818

Hi. I’m new.

I’ve been having debates with someone about Victoria’s song ‘Watcha Talkin’ Bout’ being about Geri after feeling betrayed.

Why I feel this way is cos of this part:
It started when the fame and fans kept coming in
& then you changed on us
Then you told us you were cool and we were wrong

First she used the pronoun “us” not “me” and the person that changed on “them” changed & started acting above them after
receiving attention and fame.

Also I remember reports in 2001 about Victoria feeling like Geri was gonna make ppl feel like she’s the copycat cos the music video for ‘Not Such An Innocent Girl’ was gonna come out after Geri’s ‘Scream If U Wanna Go Faster’ and both videos have
the same good Geri/Victoria vs bad Geri/Victoria and there’s the flying motorbikes.

I remember a dedicated Spice stan telling me these things an old forum & please if u can confirm and also provide excerpts or clips of videos of these things or articles discussing it or ANYTHING pls help:

- Victoria was asked in an interview about ‘Watcha Talkin Bout’ being about Geri and she laughed and said “u figured it out”.

- Victoria mentioning her encounters with Geri in her first book Learning to Fly (which would prove they WERE in contact in 2001 cos the person I’m debating with is saying they only reconnected in 2003). Please I need excerpts.

This person is saying I made it all up in my head & there was no comparisons between their videos or Victoria stating she’s afraid of comparisons or any indication that Geri was even in her life back then.

Please help. Thx

This post has been edited by SpicyVee: 10th April 2022, 01:53 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 10th April 2022, 02:01 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

Hhmmm.... yes Victoria mentioned those things and their relationship has never been the best since Geri left, for sure. I think Victoria was incredibly hurt and I don't blame her for it.

Plus, she tried making ammends with Geri when on holiday in France and Geri really ruined it by making sure it was a publicity opportunity. The relationship between Geri and Emma feels more connected and genuine than with Victoria or Mel B.

I think it is fair to say that the videos has similar approaches but very different styles and intentions, which differenciated them enough, imo.

When it comes to the lyrics of that song, it was very clear it was about Geri. The section about her turning on them makes a lot of sense when you think about how much more press Geri got during the hey day of the girls and then leaving to be the first to release an album. It was very clear that Geri's ego was super inflated and she thought she could do better without the band. It sucks cos it ruined it for everyone and for herself too!

+Quote this post
SpicyVee
post 10th April 2022, 04:08 PM
Post #3
Group icon
New Entry

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Apr 10 2022, 02:01 PM) *
Hhmmm.... yes Victoria mentioned those things and their relationship has never been the best since Geri left, for sure. I think Victoria was incredibly hurt and I don't blame her for it.

Plus, she tried making ammends with Geri when on holiday in France and Geri really ruined it by making sure it was a publicity opportunity. The relationship between Geri and Emma feels more connected and genuine than with Victoria or Mel B.

I think it is fair to say that the videos has similar approaches but very different styles and intentions, which differenciated them enough, imo.

When it comes to the lyrics of that song, it was very clear it was about Geri. The section about her turning on them makes a lot of sense when you think about how much more press Geri got during the hey day of the girls and then leaving to be the first to release an album. It was very clear that Geri's ego was super inflated and she thought she could do better without the band. It sucks cos it ruined it for everyone and for herself too!

Thx for the reply.

Can u or anyone here give me anything from her book or written or video interviews that she mentions how she felt about Geri?

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 10th April 2022, 04:28 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(SpicyVee @ Apr 10 2022, 04:08 PM) *
Thx for the reply.

Can u or anyone here give me anything from her book or written or video interviews that she mentions how she felt about Geri?

I no longer have a copy of the book, but she did mention the story in France and how she felt Geri orchestrated the whole media frenzy. She also mentioned bumping into Geri in a recording studio when they were both recording solo albums and how odd Geri behaved...

+Quote this post
SpicyVee
post 10th April 2022, 04:50 PM
Post #5
Group icon
New Entry

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Apr 10 2022, 04:28 PM) *
I no longer have a copy of the book, but she did mention the story in France and how she felt Geri orchestrated the whole media frenzy. She also mentioned bumping into Geri in a recording studio when they were both recording solo albums and how odd Geri behaved...

Thx anyways. The recording in the same studio is very plausible esp since that’s probably where she learned about Victoria’s concept.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 10th April 2022, 05:18 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(SpicyVee @ Apr 10 2022, 04:50 PM) *
Thx anyways. The recording in the same studio is very plausible esp since that’s probably where she learned about Victoria’s concept.

Now that is just guessing and most probably untrue lol

+Quote this post
Piers
post 11th April 2022, 06:12 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 69,521

I mean. I've got no inside scoop on what happened...but I never especially thought that Geri's team intentionally copied Victoria's video.

Honestly, I figured both teams were probably just inspired by Mariah Carey's Heartbreaker video..which was still somewhat recent at that point...and featured a fight scene between a good Mariah and bad Mariah. The good girl/bad girl thing has always been fairly common in pop videos. The very next year after SIYWGF and NSAIG, a good Madonna was fighting a bad Madonna in the Die Another Day video. Nicole Scherzinger did the good girl/bad girl thing in Poison. Those are just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are a ton more examples.

I mean, yeah, there's also the flying bikes thing. But. Geri took pics on a flying bike even in the album photoshoot...which came a good while before the eventual SIYWGF video shoot. So. I dunno. I land on coincidence. Plus, the motorbikes were employed very differently in the videos...and the good girl vs. bad girl thing is far more integrated into Victoria's concept than Geri's. (I'm not sure I was aware the two Geris were even rivals in the Scream video until the final seconds...)

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 10:50 AM